Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sit on my Jace posted:

The first Pioneer Challenge was today, right? Curious what the format looks like after a proper event like that.

Yes! Finals is happening right now. UR Phoenix vs Sultai midrange.

Seemed like a lot of UR Phoenix and a lot of Sultai midrange. Mtgo top trophy earner made it to the top 8 with his 4c saheeli list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PJOmega posted:

Gooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yourself!

Since the other option is to force everyone into big box stores you can't play at (and that are full of ripoff MTG products) I can't criticise a shop for trying to keep business at their shop. And the second wave of them if supposedly huge, so if you wait a month you'll be drowning in arcane signet's.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dehtraen posted:

Seemed like a lot of UR Phoenix and a lot of Sultai midrange. Mtgo top trophy earner made it to the top 8 with his 4c saheeli list

Lots of people had a ur Phoenix deck, and this used almost all the high value cards from it. I'm thinking about going with it or Bant spirits as my first pioneer deck or of the gate.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
boy this modern match has been going on for loving ages

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

rkajdi posted:

Lots of people had a ur Phoenix deck, and this used almost all the high value cards from it. I'm thinking about going with it or Bant spirits as my first pioneer deck or of the gate.

Spirits looked powerful whenever I’ve seen it on stream - I just think the build needs to be refined a little.

Also, Sultai midrange won.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I think it's that and also when you have a critical mass of looting and card draw Phoenix becomes very strong and quick relative to the rest of the field. Cards like Izzet Charm can help a lot with it too.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Yiggy posted:

Lgs is holding a free brawl event where they’re giving out promo packs to encourage the format. I threw together a simic ramp birthing pod-like deck using prime speaker vannifar as the commander. Mostly was trying to think of a good way to shoe horn in my single oko since I doubt I’ll ever have another to try in another format. P janky but hope it’ll be fun.

Brawl event was super casual. Stuck with the Vannifar commander, was fun but I needed to pack my deck with more creatures and fewer cantrips. The oko came out easily enough each game and instantly put a target on my back so he’s less effective when you’ve got several players going for him. Brawl seemed fun enough and I’ll keep a deck with me for LGS trips but I don’t know when I’ll ever see more brawl games.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

first pioneer challenge winner

https://twitter.com/oRSMTGO/status/1188583771517456384

oko and goose in every format

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

That deck is going to be pushing 1k in a hurry.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

Jesus christ 237 players in a challenge? Glad I went back to sleep, dear lord.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hellsau posted:

Jesus christ 237 players in a challenge? Glad I went back to sleep, dear lord.

Is that a lot or not very many? I am not a MTGO man.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Is that a lot or not very many? I am not a MTGO man.

Pauper Challenges were hitting 90-100 during Astrolabe, and dropped down to 65 after no ban was announced. Today was the first post-Astrolabe Challenge, dunno how big it was. Prizes don't increase depending on player count, with top 16 getting some stuff, 17th-32nd getting their entry fee back, and everyone else getting nothing for their 25 bucks. Yesterday's Pauper MCQ was 149 players, smaller than this challenge!

Note that the early start time probably helped boost attendance since it vastly increased the amount of European players that could justify playing in it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

JerryLee posted:

Rhox wasn't that outlandish. For a Timmy creature and especially for the time, it had a pretty non-insulting combination of cost, stats and textbox.

Vizzerdrix, on the other hand, has no defensible reason to ever exist, let alone as a rare. Same for its cousin Trained Orgg.

I mean from a strictly character marketing perspective.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Where can I find the top 8 at?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kjermzs posted:

Where can I find the top 8 at?

Top 32 will get posted tomorrow on the MTG website, and they'll get uploaded to MTGGoldfish in a much more readable format like an hour later.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't believe Wizards managed to ressurect MTGO at the expense of prematurely killing MTGA's eternal format

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wizards could make so much money if they'd just loving spend the resources to fully support Arena with an actual eternal format.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the barrier to releasing an entire decade of sets on arena is much more logistical than it is just about coding it up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

the barrier to releasing an entire decade of sets on arena is much more logistical than it is just about coding it up

The reality is, you don’t need an entire decade of sets to effectively cover the most important cards

Hell, even just doing every rare and mythic gets you 80% there with gallons of useless crap

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Wizards could make so much money if they'd just loving spend the resources to fully support Arena with an actual eternal format.

Seriously just let me play Brawl. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since Eldraine release I've gotten all 15 wins for the week. It's (for now) the only playable format left in the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

And it’s also a lot of cards to throw at new and returning players like me. I’m still learning Eldraine, let alone 5 more added sets or whatever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

flatluigi posted:

they had the option to plan for it from the start, they knew an expertly made digital client for MTG would make them a billion dollars, and they chose to make a barely competent digital client and setting for a few hundred million dollars.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they didn't do it from the start because they're still making money off of mtgo and releasing arena with everything would both still be ridiculous logistically and kill MTGO stone dead

Arivia posted:

And it’s also a lot of cards to throw at new and returning players like me. I’m still learning Eldraine, let alone 5 more added sets or whatever.

people want pioneer which would add 20 more sets to what's currently available live (16 if you count the ones that were available pre-collection wipe in early beta)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

it's pretty obvious that arena was a motivating factor for frontier

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Seriously just let me play Brawl. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since Eldraine release I've gotten all 15 wins for the week. It's (for now) the only playable format left in the game.

Ah yes, the Oko format against all others

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ah yes, the Oko format against all others

*shrug* at least in this format if you kill their turn 3 Oko they're probably not playing it again on turn 4. I think I went like 8/1 against Oko overall, and the 1 was because I mulled 3 hands that didn't have a 2nd land and never really did anything to their turn 2 Oko.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flatluigi posted:

Either way it's not as if they don't have the resources to do it within a realistic timespan, they just don't want to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

That format wouldn't be for a player like you. So why worry about it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'd really discourage drafting, since wildcards would be literally the only realistic way to actually put decks together for that format.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Is there a functional alternative to gatherer? That thing has absolutely hobbled my efforts to spice up murder goats and find more discard cards for UR Phoenix to run beyond all previous imagination. I usually don't do anything like this, format might be sweeter than it is good but for now at least I really don't care

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Is there a functional alternative to gatherer? That thing has absolutely hobbled my efforts to spice up murder goats and find more discard cards for UR Phoenix to run beyond all previous imagination. I usually don't do anything like this, format might be sweeter than it is good but for now at least I really don't care

Scryfall is everything gatherer wish it could be in that regard.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Mat Cauthon posted:

Either way it's not as if they don't have the resources to do it within a realistic timespan, they just don't want to.

I doubt they have the ability either. The game is creaking under the weight of just the normal rotation schedule and a handful of events. I doubt they could handle releasing one legacy set every three months. And the financial incentive to do so is really speculative and cannibalistic of mtgo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Gatherer has basically been abandoned since 2012. Scryfall is the only thing you need.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Because it’s still a bunch of new cards/events/etc? At least with Historic I can stay on pace and reasonably build into it. Adding all the sets for Pioneer would throw that right out the window.

Scryfall isn’t perfect though. I needed to search for all spirits in Modern not from Kamigawa block the other day. You can do that in Gatherer but not in Scryfall, it won’t let you use logic operators on formats/sets for some reason.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I started playing back in 2016 and was recommended by people at my LGS to dive face-first into Modern from the get-go.

I think that was probably the most frustrating way to learn but I think it was definitely the most rewarding way because I learned way more about game mechanics that way.

For what it's worth @Arivia: You don't really need to "learn" sets-- just what cards in them get used the most and what the core mechanics of each set are. You'll never see the vast majority of Magic's library of cards because the vast majority of them range from rarely played to never played.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 28, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arivia posted:

Because it’s still a bunch of new cards/events/etc? At least with Historic I can stay on pace and reasonably build into it. Adding all the sets for Pioneer would throw that right out the window.

Scryfall isn’t perfect though. I needed to search for all spirits in Modern not from Kamigawa block the other day. You can do that in Gatherer but not in Scryfall, it won’t let you use logic operators on formats/sets for some reason.

this works fine?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Arivia posted:

type:spirit legal:modern -block:chk

https://scryfall.com/search?q=type%3Aspirit+legal%3Amodern+-block%3Achk&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

You definitely can do that in scryfall lmao.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Did you have to type that in manually or something? I couldn’t do it with the advanced search page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arivia posted:

Did you have to type that in manually or something? I couldn’t do it with the advanced search page.

You overlooked it.