Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Caught up on this thread again just in time for Pongza, hell yeah. Excellent updates as always Kangxi :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Alright... is this mad woman gonna invade China?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 38: 1200 to 1206 - Tsenmo Purgyal Pongza 'the Just'

My name is Purgyal Ponza. At the time of my accession to the throne, I was 20 years old.

When I was a few years younger, someone invisible, some soul, whispered in my ear that I was to be the empress of the greatest kingdom of the world. Well, of course, I would! Whatever said that was a bit slow. Naive to the extreme.

I knew of course that I would be communicated to by outside forces, but I would need special guidance to manage them and understand them. I spoke often with the Priests, who were deeply considerate, and the State Oracle, who went into trances as needed, and he was the most helpful of all in giving names to what I had experienced. There are evil forces everywhere.

I had to reject discussion of these evil entities with most people, I am ensnared. I have to will them away and focus on specific things. I have to slow down and filter out what I think. I shall uphold laws and expand my reach. I'd prefer not to discuss these evil matters at so let's forget about that.

I found our treasury in a precarious condition. It would take perhaps a year for us to resume the payment of salaries.

Our Army was still functional.

Yet with our Treasury in a state of shortages, the levers of Power were worn away.

With deferred pay for the troops, they would be listless and they would be unable to fight.

I heard reports of rebellions in other kingdoms; this only made me fear subversion and revolt at home.

I went through a period of Instability. I am not there at all sometimes. I am looking at myself from a distance.

I was able to recover and address the most serious problems of the realm. I talked about the connections between Tibet and the Third Han, of the tools and grains used across the empire. I talked about how much currency we'd need to mint. We'd need to see if we wanted a Border Tax or a Tax on Wealth. Everybody else looked at me like I spoke no human words at all.

I had better luck in talking to the bureaucracy. I can speak to them about Laws and Money and they'll do it. Whatever we were doing seemed to work.

For my own health, I retreated when I could from the crowd. I was silent and frightened and could not always speak when others spoke.

That did not mean I could not act elsewhere. I had heard that many resented the arrogance and the isolation of the Third Han, and how the merchants and those along the trade routes were Impoverished because of their absence. I sent my diplomats to appeal this.

The Third Han appealed, in turns, to the glory of their past, their own legal rights as a sovereign state, the needs of the tens of thousands of thousands of people under their dominion, and their own need to secure themselves against external threats. In those areas, they had hoped that we could accommodate ourselves to this change in a matter of good faith and as a matter of understanding.

It is not too much a surprise that the Third Han would look to the glories of their own distant past. But those eras which were held up as an era of peace were deeply in want of it. Indeed, I have often found negotiations between kingdoms without familial ties to be Fruitless. This was not the imposition of a shared Law or drawing up a Contract between states, there is very rarely such a thing.

And as for security? There can be no absolute Security unless it involves the total destruction of the opponent, which they will resist Bitterly. Any negotiations become like the bawling of competing shopkeepers, which at best attempt to commit third parties to do trade with them. There is a scarcity of Good Faith.

We declared the routes open. The traders along the southern Silk Road and along the great southern ocean would be under our protection. The Mongolians, too, would find themselves benefitting from the routes along the Tarim Basin and north of the Kunlun.

The merchants tell us the Great Western Invaders have returned from across the ocean. Is it possible?

And to my other side, the Empress of China has died. Her daughter is willing to agree with us on trade so that at least is good.

The priests are doing better and that is all I'll say about that. The Sacred Hierarch was very cordial in her letters.

Churches, whatever. Sure.

I'm worried about our own church and the Sacred Hierarch. I was told she had gone to China to Supplicate to them. How could she! She was an agent of Evil Powers, setting up a conspiracy!

I sent a formal letter asking her to publicly deny any connections she had made with the Third Han Dynasty and to disavow any Conspiracies. She agreed.

But I was told by -- I was told, and I have heard it -- that she had a plausible claim over the entirety of the Empire and that she could press it. Obviously, this is a plot to overthrow my house and destroy the previous structures of our kingdom. It was a matter of the Daoists, I think. Their immortality and their secret potions.

What could I do?

I was feeling unresponsive to my duties and responsibilities, and I was advised to take time off to hunt and go among Nature, as my Grandmother Khrimalod was fond of doing. I agreed, but I refused to go alone.

Before one of my trips, I was informed of a letter from the Chinese that they had demanded the revocation of some of my mercantile policies. They had no way to compel us, and we had no reason to agree. I denied them.

I was soon given a dog, who was my closest and most trustworthy companion. His name is Tricky and he is very good.

I was told fanciful stories by my hunting companions - that the Mongolian kingdom in -- what was it, Fulin? -- was severed by raiders across the sea. "Where did they come from?" I asked. He told me they were from the very northern edge of the world, where there is almost no sunshine for much of the year.

Fascinating stuff. We would need to communicate with them. How? With the birds?

The sand foxes follow us, you know.

Not long after we returned, a prisoner was brought in. Her arms were bound. She was hunched over, the eyes of her whites visible in an exhausted look, and her jaw was clenched.

It was my Lönchen Tse. A young priest, an ambitious young man, had claimed to possess an incontrovertible Proof that she was not only an impostor but an agent of Buddhist clerics, intent on the subversion of the kingdom and the destruction of our church. The court gasped, and they all became a pack of howling animals, yelling at me, sending me negative immaterial energy, about what I should do.

In the crowd, I hear four distinct points.

A) Kill her! But would her death be considered just or heroic?

B) Imprison her! But would she escape?

C) Brand her an apostate! But would this be sufficient?

D) Let her go! But what if the priest is right?

The vote will close at 9 PM EST, October 28.

This will have consequences.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
C

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
A

This is not the true Tse and never was! The tale of resurrection is an insidious lie created to weaken the Bon faith. She must be put to death for her crimes.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A-She covets Purgyal throne, and consorts with demons, heretics, and the Han to take it. End this charade.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FrangibleCover posted:

A

This is not the true Tse and never was! The tale of resurrection is an insidious lie created to weaken the Bon faith. She must be put to death for her crimes.

Agreed

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
A! The False Prophet must be destroyed for attempting to subvert the most high office of the church!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
D, this is way too interesting to mess with.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

B, but D

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
B This is some ploy of hers to take our throne. If we kill her, she'll just resurrect herself to try again! Put her behind bars so that we can keep an eye on her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
B

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

D

His proof is bullshit, also this plotline rules don't kill it.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Tulip posted:

His proof is bullshit, also this plotline rules don't kill it.

A, this plotline is all about reincarnation so killing it seems like the most interesting choice.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
B

What terror does death hold for an immortal? Let her rot.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maybe the Archpriestess can explain how the laws she herself wrote apply here. A.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
B.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

megane posted:

Maybe the Archpriestess can explain how the laws she herself wrote apply here. A.

A

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

A

absolutely no way this can go wrong

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
How dare such lies and calumnies be levied against our beloved and revered Hierarch Tse? How could she, of all people, be obstinate in the face of the true powers at work in this world? How could her path be anything but the most righteous before us? D.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

D

Lies and slander by some overambitious third rate alms taker

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

C

Best case compromise we can hope for.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Abominations must die.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The only way to prove that she’s right is to kill her and see if she reincarnates. So, A

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

A. Should her death inspire her conspirators to out themselves, so much the better.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B. Let her languish until forgotten!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
D

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

B

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Empress Theonora posted:

How dare such lies and calumnies be levied against our beloved and revered Hierarch Tse? How could she, of all people, be obstinate in the face of the true powers at work in this world? How could her path be anything but the most righteous before us?

D.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
C. The shame of being branded for apostasy should be enough.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

Empress Theonora posted:

How dare such lies and calumnies be levied against our beloved and revered Hierarch Tse? How could she, of all people, be obstinate in the face of the true powers at work in this world? How could her path be anything but the most righteous before us? D.

D.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. Establish your provenance in the next life.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: Less than 24 hours left to vote :siren:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

B

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib
D - Even if she is as her accuser states, we would rip the realm asunder if we were to act against her person. No, we must have more than the word of a young fool before we denounce the consort of Gyalyum.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

pinchofginger posted:

D - Even if she is as her accuser states, we would rip the realm asunder if we were to act against her person. No, we must have more than the word of a young fool before we denounce the consort of Gyalyum.

I'm convinced. D is it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

pinchofginger posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
D

that Homestuck reference in A though. Don't think I didn't see that.