Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thranguy posted:

This is a world where not only TV-X is a rating that exists, but shows with that rating get national ad campaigns.
I liked how the kids was watching anyway, even tho the disclaimer was there. The presentation of the disclaimer and it's seriousness, as if it will be some psychic shock, and the lgbtqia+ and mysogyny warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Uh what the gently caress was with the UFO.

So is the old man actually psychic?

I'm kinda confused about Judd if he was a KKK member who did crack in front of Angela and Calvin, how did he not go around saying blatantly racist poo poo when he was on crack? I've never taken crack, but my understanding is it lowers your inhibitions?

Curious about the libstapo but I suspect we're seeing it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The UFO was another Owlship, maybe piloted by the superhero friends of the old man. Assuming the theories about him being a former masked vigilante are correct. He did mention he had powerful friends. As to why he is so important, or why they were waiting for him right there who knows. He did mention something about big things happening in Tulsa

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

bunny colvin as newspaper dude was great, and treasury secretary henry louis gates made me lol. i'm so curious to see where this show goes, my reaction to the end was the same as angela's

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

DuhSal posted:

that conversation with regina king and the old man gave me some lost vibes too in how the dialogue withheld information but somebody linked earlier how the show was written with an ending to the season and the mysteries set up will be resolved, so I have faith it will end better or at least have answers.

tell me lies tell me sweet little lies

Yeah, I'm done with the show. If I wanted to see Watchmen mystery box fanfic that barely gets what the original was all about, makes no sense and is just a general bore, I'd read Doomsday Clock. Cha-ching!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm kinda confused about Judd if he was a KKK member who did crack in front of Angela and Calvin, how did he not go around saying blatantly racist poo poo when he was on crack? I've never taken crack, but my understanding is it lowers your inhibitions?

Hey hey, crack cocaine and cocaine are different things. It turns you in to the guy in the bathroom who wont stop talking to everyone.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

The UFO was another Owlship, maybe piloted by the superhero friends of the old man. Assuming the theories about him being a former masked vigilante are correct. He did mention he had powerful friends. As to why he is so important, or why they were waiting for him right there who knows. He did mention something about big things happening in Tulsa

I feel like american hero story is signalling some stuff about him. "If you knew who I was, you wouldn't watch til the end." His friends probably saw his DNA analyzed and knew it was time to scoop him up. Also, she was going to take him in, he said they wouldn't let that happen.

What was up with the white man on Angela's porch? Is she raising his kids or something, some sort of child placement thing for white families?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

KoRMaK posted:

What was up with the white man on Angela's porch? Is she raising his kids or something, some sort of child placement thing for white families?

I think he's their grandfather, and maybe they were kids orphaned during the White Night that the Abars adopted? Her conversation with the oldest kid feels like it hints to that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

KoRMaK posted:

Angela adopted the kids of her killed partner. The white guy I assume is some kind of relative of theirs looking for handouts (most likely 'getting the redfordations back').

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Hey hey, crack cocaine and cocaine are different things. It turns you in to the guy in the bathroom who wont stop talking to everyone.

Yea don't besmirtch the classy cocaine.

Crack is for poor people, crafted by the CIA to destroy black communities

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

KoRMaK posted:

I feel like american hero story is signalling some stuff about him. "If you knew who I was, you wouldn't watch til the end." His friends probably saw his DNA analyzed and knew it was time to scoop him up. Also, she was going to take him in, he said they wouldn't let that happen.

The kids are in all likelihood her partner that was murdered on the White Night. Jim Beaver is in all likelihood the children’s biological grandfather and is entitled to some sort of visitation rights.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

KoRMaK posted:

She's raising her dead partner's kids; I assume he's a brother or brother-in-law who legally has visitation rights of some sort.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

DuhSal posted:

that conversation with regina king and the old man gave me some lost vibes too in how the dialogue withheld information but somebody linked earlier how the show was written with an ending to the season and the mysteries set up will be resolved, so I have faith it will end better or at least have answers.
https://www.cbr.com/hbo-watchmen-avoiding-moralizing-real-world-issues-interpretation-danon-lindelof/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Interviewer posted:

...you’re not only diving into very hot button topics but you’re handling them in such a way that viewers can read whatever they want into their meaning. You’re avoiding moralizing...

David Lindelof posted:

The read is completely accurate... It is not real. Although it is dealing with real issues and it’s meant to generate and provoke conversations and emotions we have to contextualize that this is fiction... You have to jump in with some degree of forethought and responsibility and then afterward you can ask yourself why you did it

famously apolitical graphic novel Watchmen. some 'degree' of forethought but then ask questions about your story after it's done?? where's the lie David????

Zmej fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 28, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DuhSal posted:

This is a character intentionally being an rear end in a top hat and misleading someone, not your usual TV just not talking about things they should be.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I love how absolutely insane they're making Adrian.

Just like he always was.

Rorschach was the only one who was right about that lunatic.

BEASTIE BOYS

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think it's way too early to cry foul about mystery box writing. This is meant to be a story that can be satisfyingly told in one season.

Anyways I reread the comic over the past few days, paying special attention to the Hooded Justice character. The robbery scene might be a riff on Snyder, but it's accurate to what Under The Hood says about HJ's debut being brutal. If we're running with the theory that the old man is actually HJ, perhaps the WW1 era German propaganda is meant to explain his pro German comments Mason remembers as being pro Nazi.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
According to reviewers the Louis Gossett Jr “mystery box” is resolved by episode 6.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supreme Allah posted:

BEASTIE BOYS

I laughed hard at the small detail of him pulling the egg out of the water leading to that song playing over the credits.

Mantis42 posted:

Anyways I reread the comic over the past few days, paying special attention to the Hooded Justice character. The robbery scene might be a riff on Snyder, but it's accurate to what Under The Hood says about HJ's debut being brutal.

Yeah, I think it's absolutely a Snyder reference, but I don't consider it too much of a piss take.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mantis42 posted:

I think it's way too early to cry foul about mystery box writing. This is meant to be a story that can be satisfyingly told in one season.

Anyways I reread the comic over the past few days, paying special attention to the Hooded Justice character. The robbery scene might be a riff on Snyder, but it's accurate to what Under The Hood says about HJ's debut being brutal. If we're running with the theory that the old man is actually HJ, perhaps the WW1 era German propaganda is meant to explain his pro German comments Mason remembers as being pro Nazi.

it should be noted that the "Watch Over This Boy" note was written on the back of that propaganda paper, so it wouldn't have been him who got it (probably his father) but he definitely could have read it/sympathized with the Germans because of his experience.

Show ended with Beastie Boys, show good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
yeah idk this show seems really bad sometimes. Sometimes its good and I'm into it and then some dumb poo poo happens. idk chief

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Veidt casually burning people alive was some :cry: poo poo

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

You’re all ignoring the tomato tree and I’m very disappointed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I definitely think he’s trying to create a new dr Manhattan that he can control

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

I laughed hard at the small detail of him pulling the egg out of the water leading to that song playing over the credits.

I wondered about that, but that was the second time he didn't seem to care about extreme heat - earlier in the show he just downed a mug of fresh coffee. Might be reading too much into it, but they specifically made a point to show Angela making a "what the gently caress?" face at him chugging the scalding coffee.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Preston Waters posted:

Veidt casually burning people alive was some :cry: poo poo

Veidt has so much murders hovering on his head there's no way a single murder even registers anymore and this show is acknowledging it.

Human life to him is like less than the life of an ant, he's a real sickie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool, i called it.
I'd watch the gently caress out of HJ taking out old timey mooks.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Cool, i called it.
I'd watch the gently caress out of HJ taking out old timey mooks.

Called what? Chief being 7th cav? That costume could have been his dad's or something.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HexiDave posted:

I wondered about that, but that was the second time he didn't seem to care about extreme heat - earlier in the show he just downed a mug of fresh coffee. Might be reading too much into it, but they specifically made a point to show Angela making a "what the gently caress?" face at him chugging the scalding coffee.

Yeah, him chugging the coffee and then pulling the egg out of boiling water like it was nothing were definite signs for Angela.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Preston Waters posted:

Called what? Chief being 7th cav? That costume could have been his dad's or something.

Rocksicles posted:

We going to find out the chief was one of the 7th Cav ?

Yeah might could be his dads, but having a antique klan outfit still really sells the whole thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Supreme Allah posted:

Veidt has so much murders hovering on his head there's no way a single murder even registers anymore and this show is acknowledging it.

Human life to him is like less than the life of an ant, he's a real sickie.

God, the play was so funny/horrifying.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The newsie mentioning towns with squid showers at least in their 2019 the Soviet Union is still around.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If Judd is the second gunman and the writers made it to where Judd purposefully hit Angela in the stomach as if he knew that would be non-fatal, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

wolfs posted:

You’re all ignoring the tomato tree and I’m very disappointed.

And the third appearance of ~the castle~ with Regina King's kid making one out of...uhhh...hovering tinker toys? :stare:

double negative posted:

bunny colvin as newspaper dude was great, and treasury secretary henry louis gates made me lol. i'm so curious to see where this show goes, my reaction to the end was the same as angela's

Sheeeeeeeeeee-it... :clint:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I think it's absolutely a Snyder reference, but I don't consider it too much of a piss take.

uh what

on color saturation alone this isn't a snyder riff, it's very specifically doing the heightened reality of Ryan Murphy's shows, see: American Crime Story S2, latter American Horror Story, Glee, whatever else he's been producing

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ElNarez posted:

uh what

on color saturation alone this isn't a snyder riff, it's very specifically doing the heightened reality of Ryan Murphy's shows, see: American Crime Story S2, latter American Horror Story, Glee, whatever else he's been producing

It could be both.

Id say the speed ramping and compositions are absolutely referencing the Snyder film.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

His friends probably saw his DNA analyzed and knew it was time to scoop him up.

If you have the show recorded, watch that scene again, but look just slightly behind Angela.

edit: actually after looking at that scene with a different light on, nevermind, the figure was turned around.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hooded Justice in American Hero Story is played by Cheyenne Jackson, who is a regular on Ryan Murphy's shows. He was on both Glee and American Horror Story (as well as 30 Rock, but that's not ryan murphy, it's just good tv)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

stratofarius posted:

If I wanted to see Watchmen mystery box fanfic that barely gets what the original was all about,
What, that superheros represent an authoritarian mindset, and like any form of authoritarianism eventually lead to abuses? That we should be careful about entrusting our lives and societies with superheros/authoritarians? A deconstruction of the concept of a superhero? I think the show is tapping into these ideas quite a bit.

quote:

makes no sense
You're two episodes in and you expect the whole plot to be rolled out in front of you?

quote:

just a general bore,
That's just like, your opinion man.

I'm impressed by the connections this show is making with the comics, some subtle some not. Like HJ making pro-German comments and then you see the pamphlets on the show, Sister Night finding Judd's klan robe being similar to Rorschach finding the Comedian's costume (and the whole mystery around both Judd and the Comedian's deaths being used as the primary narrative vehicle), or Looking Glass following so many of the same personality tics as Rorschach, like never taking his mask off, crying under his mask, and having an affinity for snacks. Obviously some of these connections are just superficial fanservice, but it's still fun and it encourages people to read (or re-read) the original comics.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 28, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ElNarez posted:

uh what

It's both. Obviously with the name and casting it's a Ryan Murphy riff, but to me it also seems like a play on Snyder's version of Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, I think his Watchmen movie is great, but this seemed like a way to incorporate it playfully.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

You're two episodes in and you expect the whole plot to be rolled out in front of you?

... what??? Lack of logic and plot progression are two completely different things.