Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Around 500 820 thousand ~1 1.2 million people in downtown Santiago. Similar protests right now in all major cities.
https://twitter.com/FabianSW7/status/1187842502163865601
https://twitter.com/CmilizerForever/status/1187841143280680960
https://twitter.com/cecchi_forch/status/1187835432156958721

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I get the impression that Americans underestimate how politicised the judiciary can be in Latin America, though I don't know if any are as bad as Brazil. Even the less politicised tend to bend rather than stand against the direction of the wind.

However thanks to Trump, they're going to get a taste of it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It looks like it's sort of turned for the worse in the past 20 minutes. The stream I'm watching, about 20 minutes ago the entire crowd basically fled the city circle after some large bangs, and since then it's been like a combination of semi-constant gunfire, broken bottles, broken glass, explosions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaSEx506p0

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

bagual posted:

Maybe don't use theories you're not prepared to back-up as examples? :raise:
Growth slowing down does not equal middle income, and yes people have observed that growth slows down because that's a thing that happens, so what? You gotta have a theoretical perspective to elaborate on, lest you just stay describing the basics like such number go up, such number go down, that good, that bad, and so on, with no real perspective to what it means in a wider context.

I've actually looked up the recent world bank classifications, Bolivia is a low middle income country on par with countries like Cambodia and Cameroon while Peru is upper middle income like most of the rest of Latin America. Your whole "Morales is bland" argument seems unfounded to me as you're just comparing aggregate statistics without historical context and not even getting a level field for comparison according to the theory you used as an illustrative example.

I know it sounds insulting but describe Morales as bland I don't mean it as a bad thing. I want politics to be boring. It's bad when the economy goes through wild ups and downs, gangs clash in the streets, and cops throw people out of helicopters. Nobody needs that kind of excitement in their life. Morales delivered steady consistent growth and stability. I think anyone would characterize his time in office thus far as a success. Bland is good in this case.

However when you look at the aggregate statistics and compare Bolivia to its neighbors, you can tell that at this rate its never going to catch up. Unless it can dramatically increase growth it's going to stay the poorest country in the region for the foreseeable future. Maybe you don't think that's a reasonable goal, but if I were Bolivian I think I'd expect the government to strive at least to match the neighbors. It's not a stinging indictment of the government that it hasn't managed that, as I said before I think Morales has been successful. It's just a bit of a let down.

If you want to talk about the Bolivian economy in ways that are more in-depth than aggregate statistics, to my knowledge the most important reforms institututed by Morales were in the institution of conditional cash transfers. If you want to read about them and their impact you can check out one of these assessments. It's been a few years since I read them myself so I'll probably mix it up if I try and describe it in any detail. The basic gist of it is that Morales instituted a redistributive program similar to those that already existed in other Latin American countries with a modest but positive effect. I believe these kinds of policies help explain why Bolivia's gini coefficient has become more similar to that of his neighbors, because Morales is governing very similarly as more ideologically liberal leaders in places like Colombia. There's no reason to expect Bolivian inequality to keep dropping past it's neighbors however, because fundamentally Bolivia's economy remains very similar to them.

Doctor Jeep posted:

what I think is that I really don't give a poo poo if morales jiggered with the system a bit in order to get himself elected again because he'll do better than whatever his opponents would've done in power
calling that a nationalist dictatorship is dumb

Why have I gone through the effort of describing how boring and technocratic Morales policies have been? Because I don't think people like Doctor Jeep understand what they're buying with their electoral jiggering. Morales Bolivia: basically a budget Peru. When you gently caress with elections and courts their is a huge cost, so you better be drat sure whatever it is its worth the price. Looking at this election The Bolivian opposition, if it had won, would have been a delicate coalition headed by the most boring-est liberal technocrat imaginable, which would have to operate under a judiciary stacked by Morales appointees and facing a legislature where Morales still has the largest party. Going into the opposition doesn't have to be the end of the world.

bagual regarding your comment on Allende he didn't deserve to get got. But you can't will the USA out of existence. It might not be fair to Puerto Rico that it gets hit with hurricanes when France doesn't. That's just the way the world is though, and if a Puerto Rican politician acts like they don't have to prepare for high winds because they can just avoid hurricanes through the power of positive thinking they are loving morons. Alternatively it might not be fair to Argentinos that global creditors operate as a cartel, but goddamn, its not like its a secret. Argentina just has to operate in a world with the IMF and to a large extent that means playing by their rules. Instead they keep doing insanely dumb poo poo and then blame someone else when they predictably get slapped down. Whether its fair or deserved is irrelevant, they are clearly making bad decisions.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I left at nine and must have just missed the pacos moving in on us

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Based on my casual observation, Brazil and S Korea have the most dysfunctional democratic politics. The outgoing president always get sent to jail by the new congress/president.

Thailand is close behind, although I wouldn't call Thailand functionally democratic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Based on my casual observation, Brazil and S Korea have the most dysfunctional democratic politics. The outgoing president always get sent to jail by the new congress/president.

Thailand is close behind, although I wouldn't call Thailand functionally democratic.

Uhhh no this only happened to Lula. Even Collor, the President who got impeached in 1992, eventually returned to the scene as a senator.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zotix posted:

It looks like it's sort of turned for the worse in the past 20 minutes. The stream I'm watching, about 20 minutes ago the entire crowd basically fled the city circle after some large bangs, and since then it's been like a combination of semi-constant gunfire, broken bottles, broken glass, explosions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMaSEx506p0

The retreat by the crowd was remarkably calm.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I get the feeling this is gonna get ugly fast

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna get ugly fast

Well, Piñera has been going for a conciliatory tone as of late (to little effect) which makes me think he's unlikely to go full Assad right now.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Even Lula seems to have about break even odds of having his name cleared, and the dignity he has shown throughout the process is pretty inspiring.

I’m currently living in SP, overseeing bits of a Brazilian subsidiary of the Chinese company I work for. The local management team is about 50% full communism now and 50% pro Bolsonaro (the workforce is p much 100% full communism now, it’s a very woke place), and yet everyone somehow functions and mostly works together OK.

I don’t understand this country yet, but it seems pretty nice once you overlook the high crime rate (context: before this I only lived in London, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, none of which is particularly dangerous normally).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

I don’t understand this country yet, but it seems pretty nice once you overlook the high crime rate (context: before this I only lived in London, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, none of which is particularly dangerous normally).

As one of Brazil's top composer once said... "Living in Brazil sucks, but it's wonderful. Living elsewhere is wonderful, but sucks."

And I'm pretty sure Lula will not be released. He1s still too big a political figure, the reputation of other conservative bigshots like Moro rests entirely on being the ones who put him away, and all intitutions fear that having him free will make the chuds angry with them.

Anyway, drop by the Brazil thread f you want details. ~

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Squalid posted:

Why have I gone through the effort of describing how boring and technocratic Morales policies have been?

you haven't been describing how boring and technocratic his policies have been, you've been presenting an argument that his policies have been boring and technocratic
there's a significant difference between these two statements

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

The Right, 2 days ago: FA, Russia and Maduro are coordinating through video games to topple democracy

The Right, today: What a great non-political protest, good jobs guys. We did it, change won uwu

Redczar fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 26, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wait there’s a Brazil thread? Does anyone have a link?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866293

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The entire right simultaneously getting the memo that they'd always been allied with Eurasia once the millionth protester hit the streets has been a highlight of the week. At this rate 10 years from now they'll be claiming this was a conservative grassroots movement to overthrow Bachelet's third government.

Bonus:
https://twitter.com/FelipeOvalle/status/1188084955080986625

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
My mom a week ago: Macri is poo poo, he's destroying the country

My mom today: Ma sí, yo voté a Macri

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Pochoclo posted:

My mom a week ago: Macri is poo poo, he's destroying the country

My mom today: Ma sí, yo voté a Macri

My Mom: Macri is the worst and is making GBS threads on all of us but I'm going to vote for him anyway.

Edit:
We live in a society
https://twitter.com/Bollino/status/1188502743935266817

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 27, 2019

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
This is exactly why Argentina is the best and worst country in the world.

Poll results are standing by but the advantage for the peronists is looming

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Bless our god-emperor Alberto. May he lead us to the golden path

Edit: also

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1188581314733080576

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
First official data says 47% for FF and 41% for Macri.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
CHAU GATO!!! ANDATE BIEN A LA CONCHA DE TU VIEJA!!!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I assume an FF win is not great, not terrible.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I fully expect them to play up the "everything was great until Macri came along" angle, like Alberto said in the debate. But yeah, considering the alternative was Macri... yeesh. At least Centurion and Espert got fewer votes than Del Caño.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I assume an FF win is not great, not terrible.

Basically the election was between hammering yourself in the balls and setting yourself on fire. They're both terrible but one is decidedly much worse than the other

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/ElVoxeador_/status/1188598490848468993

(Macri)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Well then, let's hope Alberto reigns in some of Crisgina's worst impulses.

May his presidency be a good one :shrug:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
No second round in Argentina? (not that it would make any difference)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Freezer posted:

No second round in Argentina? (not that it would make any difference)

Their system is weird where the cutoff for a runoff is 45% (or 40%+1 and a 10% difference) instead of 50%+1

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what happens now for Argentina? A new default? Anything else?

(And I could use some recommendations for 19th century Argentina books)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/JPSpinetto/status/1188646298611802112?s=20

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Apparently we can now only buy 200 USD a month, down from 10k USD.

El blues se va al carajooooooo

A runoff wouñdve been for Fernandez almost certainly. 1% from the far left, and at least 1% from Lavagna. 54/46 something like that I guess

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 28, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wait, if his name is alberto, why is the acronym FF

his middle name is angel, so that can't be it

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

(Alberto) Fernandez
(Cristina) Fernandez (de Kirchner)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait, if his name is alberto, why is the acronym FF

his middle name is angel, so that can't be it

I think you're confused, the person who just got elected is Cristina

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Press F for Argentina.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://imgur.com/a/7Dz29Nu

It's no Irish Simpsons Fans but there's a strong meme game going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep