Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been reading Gamers of the Underworld which is wonderful in how incredibly stupid it is

A devil starts a new dungeon. However hes incredibly poor and doesnt have money to hire goblins to do the building. The dungeon core is strange because its slightly autonomous and keeps suggesting strange ideas to Sherlock, the devil. What it ends up doing is faking an MMO and inviting people from our world over to build the dungeon. The beta testers log in to the VRMMO, get a goblin 'avatar' and start doing 'quests' like digging tunnels and hauling rocks. And Sherlocks just standing around flabbergasted that these goblins are so hype to work for free. And that they do wierd things like throwing themselves into the blacksmiths furnace just to see what happens.

https://www.webnovel.com/book/13909061505200205/Gamers-of-the-Underworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ooh, I love outside perspectives on isekai protagonists. They're always a fun read.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been reading Azarinth Healer.

It's a solid meat-and-potatoes litrpg where the young woman isekais and instantly stumbles into a powerful secret class, then proceeds to power level and get purpz and power level some more. It's not especially clever and the writing is a bit amateurish bordering on rough, especially at first, but I find it a very comfortable, engrossing read, like pigging out on a big ole bag of potato chips. It has some trigger warnings, but while technically the warnings are true, I found the story relatively mild in that regard. (Like, a 100-ish chapters in, at least. There might be mass rape and pedophagy later on, who knows.)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh you sweet summer child. I'd been skipping reading it because of how rough the early chapters used to be. I recently powered through it and you're about to hit grim dark territory real soon. Like some of the grim darkest poo poo I've read recently.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

How does Chu Song fit into this, then? Why didn't she make it into the inner sect last year? It seems like if someone like her can exist outside of the inner sect and reach third realm in the outer sect, there should be at least a few other people in the outer sect who also reached third realm in their third or fourth years or whatever.

Also, do we even know if she's still particularly "active" in the outer sect and hasn't just fallen in with Guangli's new regime? Now that Sun Liling is in the inner sect, there shouldn't really be any sort of organization opposing Guangli's continuation of Cai Renxiang's organization.
Chu Song got to Bronze in her first year, but she basically got not handouts by the sect.

If you recall in the tournament, not everyone got as difficult fights as others. Kang Zihao in particular got a prelim where he was with Sun Liling, then a fight against a yellow that was his old subordinate during the year... and then he was punted aside with a Meizhen fight.

Ling Qi, otoh, got in a prelim fight with both a green 2 opponent but also a full group of Sun Liling's faction who were armed with specific anti-Ling Qi talisman. Then she got a fight against Chu Son to get in the inner sect.

Basically, being a high noble gives you the easy road, and being a vocal anti-cai gives you the harshest road.

quote:

edit: Unrelated, but upon re-reading the Bai Meizhen/Sun Liling fight and even the Gu Xiulan/Wen Ai fight, Ling Qi really needs to get some flashier abilities. She mostly just makes her mist and then freezes people. I feel like the other characters often have aesthetically neater and more coherent powersets because they're left up to the author, instead of the readers choosing stuff based upon game stat stuff.

This is something that's often mentioned to the author, and I think it's because fights being from Ling Qi's PoV means there is more of a focus on the details and less of a focus on the aesthetics.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. I'd been skipping reading it because of how rough the early chapters used to be. I recently powered through it and you're about to hit grim dark territory real soon. Like some of the grim darkest poo poo I've read recently.

Used to be? I've tried it a couple times 'cause it's always on RR toplist but it was... really bad. Also, it seemed more like the MC was getting Jedi powers than Healer powers.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

:justpost: I want to know how bad it is.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Azarinth Healer is fine if you just want to read about an unkillable masochist traveling to various exotic locations and punching various magical creatures to death. It's grimdark in the sense that whole cities get wiped out by demon invasions or cannibal elves or just humans being jerks. Sometimes terrible things happen just offscreen to remind you that the villains are bad and deserve to have their skulls punched out of their heads.

After about 200 chapters the protagonist gets tired of all the human drama and bullshit and decides to explore the uninhabited wildlands that no one has ever come back from, and the story gets a bit more upbeat.

Azarinth Healer is better than 95% of the dreck on RR, and if you're in this thread you've probably run out of better things to read.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

LLSix posted:

Used to be? I've tried it a couple times 'cause it's always on RR toplist but it was... really bad. Also, it seemed more like the MC was getting Jedi powers than Healer powers.

Some time in I want to say June or July the earliest chapters got an editing run, fixing the most egregious poo poo. It's still worse than the newer chapters, but way more readable than it used to be.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh my god it was only while watching today's Honzuki episode that I realized why Maine's dad is so irrationally jealous of Otto... "Otto-san, daisuki!" I'm not entirely sure that tracks at all given that they're not actually speaking Japanese in that world, but the anime definitely seemed to be playing up the homonym.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So what's a newish (<100 chapters so far) web novel I can get into? Translated or original English, I don't care. I like xianxia but any genre is fine.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

Probably my favorite Webnovel right now. Sort of a mix between light LitRPG and Xianxia, with excellent characters and a pretty sweet setting.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
He Who Fights With Monsters is real good, it's like two notches above everything else that comes from royalroad. It has it's own set of issues that come alongside being a webnovel that gets updated every weekday, but it's one of the best litrpg/xianxia stories I've read.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

I've been accused of being a patronizing twat once because I called someone a sweet summer child and, having now ended up on the other end of it, I can kinda see why, heh.

Well, I'd say that you're making the common mistake of confusing the trappings and scenery with the psychological effect. Violence and carnage aren't what defines grimdark, grimdark is, basically, about loving hard with everything the reader invests in. It can actually be done with zero death. Like, for example, cozy mysteries are psychologically comfortable as heck despite having murder, because the story is carefully engineered so that the murder or any other complications have zero negative effect on the protagonist and the reader, but you could take the exact same setup - setting, characters, relationships - but without the murder and spin it into something that'll give the weaker readers PTSD.

And Azarinth Healer (like most successful web serials, really) is comfortable as hell, even after the demonpocalypse. Nothing the reader proxy protagonist cared about was threatened. Cozy house? Still safe. All the side-characters she cared about? Doing fine. All the characters THEY cared about? Lol, there p.much aren't any, it's all good. The apocalypse isn't even an inconvenience to her, it's just a fun new playground for her to power level.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Grim dark as in 40k grim dark, where everything is poo poo but everyone you care about is awesome.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

Grim dark as in 40k grim dark, where everything is poo poo but everyone you care about is awesome.

Well, 'like 40k' should be the default usage for 'grimdark', but when discussing fantasy it's not. Like, not at all.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Megazver posted:

Well, 'like 40k' should be the default usage for 'grimdark', but when discussing fantasy it's not. Like, not at all.

The term originated from the tagline for 40k. If people are using it to describe something else, they can have fun with that.

But far more importantly, He who fights with monsters keeps being the best thing I'm reading.

quote:

“You seem to be taking it calmly,” she said.

“That’s a skill I’ve developed,” he said.

“Taking things calmly?” she asked.

“No, seeming to. It’s possible I just peed a little.”

Best MC :swoon:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

But far more importantly, He who fights with monsters keeps being the best thing I'm reading.

Best MC :swoon:

For me the overly clever dialogue is kind of hit or miss. I gave it a shot seeing it in this thread and dropped it a couple dozen chapters in.

Is The Wandering Inn any good? It's on RR too, and boy that's a lot of content.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Wandering Inn regularly adds in new characters you probably hate and forces you to read them until you start liking them. You will probably never not find some of them annoying to infuriating. It also drops interesting plots for hundreds of thousands of words before going back to them. It bloats like crazy after the first couple of volumes.

It's good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's great. There are a few boring arcs, yeah, but the hits far outweigh the misses. I like a lot of the characters, and I'm fairly sure that each reader has characters they'll love or hate based on their tastes. I wouldn't say the story drops interesting plots; it's just that it's primarily a slice of life story, so the details of day-to-day living take precedence over the very slow burn major plot points.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
A lot of people dislike the 2nd major PoV introduced, because they're a bit of a Mary Sue and keep making unfounded assumptions that nigh always turn out to be the correct in hindsight, but it's one character out of many and it doesn't detract form the overall story in my eyes.

Then again, I read a lot of web fiction so my threshold for how much Mary and Gary is too much is probably higher than most.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The wandering inn has goblins and all the usual problems with goblins are turned up to 11 in a failed attempt by the author to shine a light on the problems with goblins.

It also has slave skeleton rebellions.

Depending on your willingness to read about hard topics explored badly, it may or may not be your cup of tea. The structure (ahahaha) is essentially whatever falls out of the pen on any given day, so if you are turned off by rambling do not enter here.

Personally I enjoyed the intro, and then got increasingly less interested. I bounced off it before the worst of the atrocity happened, and haven't missed it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I have the opposite opinion; the goblins are treated as more human than... other works that may just treat goblins as something to be exterminated. There is a lot of goblin tragedy, yeah, but I don't think it's handled badly at all. And as far as hard topics being explored badly, if anything, TWI has the most on point politics of any web serial... which I guess is a low bar, but I think it mostly works.

It's definitely got that issue of chapters being largely whatever the author wanted to write that day, but I view that as a plus. It's not as though it's a stream of consciousness description of what the grass looked like that day; most of the words consist of things happening and dialogue, even if said things happening are just "check out this new flavor of ice cream I made"--which there is a lot of.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The goblins are cool and good eventually, after a little bit of pain. The skeleton owns, and is back in the story briefly woo. Erin and Ryoka are best when they're forced to acknowledge that other people are in fact other people, which may take a few hundred thousand words.

I try to have faith that the King will be worth the time spent reading his chapters one day. Like, he'll grow on me, and one day I'll see a chapter numbered from his perspective and be happy and realise that I love him. I hope so. There have been a lot of words spent on him.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the first volume or two of the wandering inn and while I felt it was well written I just wasn’t really enjoying reading it and wound up bouncing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anias posted:

The wandering inn has goblins and all the usual problems with goblins are turned up to 11 in a failed attempt by the author to shine a light on the problems with goblins.

Basically

:sadfan:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of goblins, I just learned that the Iron Teeth author has a xianxia thing, gonna check that out

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Bakanogami posted:

I read the first volume or two of the wandering inn and while I felt it was well written I just wasn’t really enjoying reading it and wound up bouncing.

That's pretty much how it goes. It gets interesting but it takes several eons to get there.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Wandering Inn hits some truly, genuinely emotional beats, but it definitely does drag at points, and when it bounces from a great PoV to a dull one that's pretty rough reading.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bonus hole boy posted:

For me the overly clever dialogue is kind of hit or miss. I gave it a shot seeing it in this thread and dropped it a couple dozen chapters in.

Yeah, the dialogue Cynic Jester is quoting there just kinda made me roll my eyes. That's not even "overly clever" so much as just kinda cliche to be honest.

Argue posted:

It's great. There are a few boring arcs, yeah, but the hits far outweigh the misses. I like a lot of the characters, and I'm fairly sure that each reader has characters they'll love or hate based on their tastes. I wouldn't say the story drops interesting plots; it's just that it's primarily a slice of life story, so the details of day-to-day living take precedence over the very slow burn major plot points.

I think I talked about this some in the web serial thread, but there's something about Wandering Inn that fundamentally prevents me from truly "buying into" its story and setting. Like something about the characters, events, and writing makes it impossible for me to forget "this is written by a nerdy person on the internet" (which obviously isn't an inherently bad thing since it's true for literally all of the stuff in this thread, but it can be a problem when it directly influences the writing in a negative way). The best way I can think of articulating it is that I can distinctly derive a sense of "these dialogue and events are being written to appeal to a specific type of person who is familiar with nerd culture in 2019."

Ward is a reasonable web serial to use in comparison, because it's also distinctly flawed but doesn't have that same attribute that bugs me about Wandering Inn (I don't use something like PracGuide for comparison because PracGuide is frankly dramatically better than both Ward and Wandering Inn). For all its flaws with both pacing and prose (though it's probably not worse than Wandering Inn with either), I don't feel like characters and events in Ward are written in a clear attempt to appeal to the audience. By "appeal to the audience" I'm not just referring to power fantasies or Mary Sue type stuff, but also to a particular sort of drama and "emotional scene" that feels distinctly intended to evoke an emotional reaction from people familiar with nerd pop culture.

While this sort of thing is usually present to some extent in most "YA fiction" writing, including stuff like the Cradle series, I think that something like Cradle benefits from still having much better writing/plotting in a broader sense. So even if there's some cheesy stuff that comes with the YA trappings, you still have a solid plot and fun, fairly well-written fight scenes/etc to keep you engaged.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks for the responses, I've been enjoying wandering inn so far. We'll see if it holds the appeal.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the dialogue Cynic Jester is quoting there just kinda made me roll my eyes. That's not even "overly clever" so much as just kinda cliche to be honest.

I think 'overly quippy' would be more accurate to what bothers me about it.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think I talked about this some in the web serial thread, but there's something about Wandering Inn that fundamentally prevents me from truly "buying into" its story and setting. Like something about the characters, events, and writing makes it impossible for me to forget "this is written by a nerdy person on the internet" (which obviously isn't an inherently bad thing since it's true for literally all of the stuff in this thread, but it can be a problem when it directly influences the writing in a negative way). The best way I can think of articulating it is that I can distinctly derive a sense of "these dialogue and events are being written to appeal to a specific type of person who is familiar with nerd culture in 2019."

Ward is a reasonable web serial to use in comparison, because it's also distinctly flawed but doesn't have that same attribute that bugs me about Wandering Inn (I don't use something like PracGuide for comparison because PracGuide is frankly dramatically better than both Ward and Wandering Inn). For all its flaws with both pacing and prose (though it's probably not worse than Wandering Inn with either), I don't feel like characters and events in Ward are written in a clear attempt to appeal to the audience. By "appeal to the audience" I'm not just referring to power fantasies or Mary Sue type stuff, but also to a particular sort of drama and "emotional scene" that feels distinctly intended to evoke an emotional reaction from people familiar with nerd pop culture.

While this sort of thing is usually present to some extent in most "YA fiction" writing, including stuff like the Cradle series, I think that something like Cradle benefits from still having much better writing/plotting in a broader sense. So even if there's some cheesy stuff that comes with the YA trappings, you still have a solid plot and fun, fairly well-written fight scenes/etc to keep you engaged.

I think a lot of this is tastes and colours? I know I stopped Pracguides specifically because I felt everything about it was intended to be fanservice for a specific fanbase, for example. I stopped Worm for many reasons, but that was also one of the reasons (never took up Ward, so I can't tell about this one).

Basically, I think that if you are the intended audience for the fanservice then the fanservice feels more organic than if you are not the intended audience.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Tried reading the English translations of Ascendance of Bookworm, but holy crap things took a nosedive in quality after chapter 103. Good news though: there's a Chinese version out, and we know how much my people care about things like IP and copyright. According to the titles, looks like they already have it translated up to the third arc, volume 5. Not bad, considering that's 12/21 volumes translated. The only issue is that it's all in traditional Chinese, which makes it tougher for me to read.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A whole bunch of people started translating it after blastron so you'll find translations that are all over the place in quality. Like, I found one that translated what was obviously meant to be "Sylvester" as "Sylphstar" and referred to priests and priestesses as Templars and Witches. I actually did find one that seemed to have decent English and is still going, but I can't pull up the link from my phone and I didn't read it thoroughly enough to be sure of the quality. I think it was hosted on a site that hosts a lot of translated Chinese web novels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What happened to the licensed English translation? I think they promised a breakneck initial pace, like one or two months per volume.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

nielsm posted:

What happened to the licensed English translation? I think they promised a breakneck initial pace, like one or two months per volume.

Part 2 Volume 1 is coming out in November.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's been coming out bimonthly since May, and I believe the November 10 volume will have caught up to blastron. It's so fast that I'm kind of demotivated to keep reading the raws now...

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
If I had to point out a single point in wandering inn that made me think 'this probably isn't for me', it'd have to be the sudden inclusion of all the fairy nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I just spent the past few days devouring 百万回転生した俺は、平和な世界でも油断しない, and it's probably possible to describe as if Kenkyo Kenjitsu and Mushoku Tensei had a beautiful baby. Please translate it, somebody. Few Narou titles have managed to go against my expectations quite like this, and the second half is particularly remarkable.