Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Crimson Fists are incredibly solid. The exploding 6's on bolt weapons was never not a nice bonus.

I know the Fire Raptor is expensive but holy hell does it get silly especially with the doctrine bonus.

it proooobably helped my first game with them was against mainly orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, I'm ultimately planning to go for a fairly meta army (Evil Sunz core, Deathskulls Souped Up Shokka, Bad Moonz Lootas), but I'm trying to figure out the HQ situation now that Big Meks with KFF have been relegated to Legends. Right now, I'm planning on putting my Warboss in Sunz, Big Mek with SAG in Skulls, and a weirdboy in with each of them. Is that reasonable? What should I go with for my Bad Moonz HQs?

EDIT: KFF, not SAG.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 28, 2019

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The lack of a Sunz character with a model is one thing I hope they fix soon. I’m building a Goffs army with the intention of adding some Sunz vehicles. Maybe get a character for a HQ, I added Boss Zagstruk and 2 boxes of Stormboyz to the start collecting box for a bit more punch.

I don’t know how helpful that is since I’m new to the hobby, I mostly just wanted to complain about the lack of a Sunz character when I think most other klanz have at least one and Goffs have 3 I think.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

xtothez posted:

This is supposedly GW's release list for the rest of 2019. The rumour is that it was sent to a South American distributor who has to order much further in advance. The Coming Soon article on Sunday should prove or disprove it.

NO. FAKE.
No aos seraphon book

:(

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

The lack of a Sunz character with a model is one thing I hope they fix soon. I’m building a Goffs army with the intention of adding some Sunz vehicles. Maybe get a character for a HQ, I added Boss Zagstruk and 2 boxes of Stormboyz to the start collecting box for a bit more punch.

I don’t know how helpful that is since I’m new to the hobby, I mostly just wanted to complain about the lack of a Sunz character when I think most other klanz have at least one and Goffs have 3 I think.

Goffs, Blood Axes, and Freebootaz are the only clans with GW produced characters. Zhadsnark from FW is Evil Sunz, but that's it.

I think I'd be careful wishing for GW to make an Evil Sunz character, judging by how the warlord trait and relic are

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Floppychop posted:

Goffs, Blood Axes, and Freebootaz are the only clans with GW produced characters. Zhadsnark from FW is Evil Sunz, but that's it.

I think I'd be careful wishing for GW to make an Evil Sunz character, judging by how the warlord trait and relic are

Wazdakka Gutsmek disagrees.

(RIP Battlecannon on a bike.)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm currently working on an Eversor / Vindicare assasins while trying out Contrast paint for the first time and it's a bit of a game-changer. It's soooo much easier to do synskin thanks to the way contrast helps find the right spots for highlighting. Looks so much better than my old Culexus done in layer paints, and it's the first time I'm happy painting something in black.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

hello, i am new to wh40k. last november i started reading the black library books because a franchise that has lasted like 30 years seemed possibly compelling, and now ive read over 40 of them. for quite a while i had decided against playing the game because i have an addictive personality and thought i might really enjoy it and spend a lot of money buying plastic miniatures, and recently i succumbed and bought a warp crate which is basically a random miniature loot crate. i ended up with 5 orks which i dont particularly care for but i painted them and had so much god drat fun doing it that i dove into the ambull hole that i bought the first strike kit on amazon and now i have 3 death guard goons, 6 shambling pox walkers, 3 primaris intercessors and 3 rievers.

tbh i have a simple question which i probably already know the answer, but for possibly irrational reasons i dont like ultramarines and the data sheets or whatever for my space marines have the ultramarine keyword. they are the easy to build models and dont have alternate weapons on their sprues. are these dudes just generic and i can paint them whatever chapter i want and have them still legal for play?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yes. The included datasheets are just a "quick start" option and because Ultramarines are the default they use that for the chapter.

If you get the space marine codex it allows you to substitute whatever chapter you please.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For a casual game it doesn't matter.

For a tournament game those are actually bespoke Ultramarines datasheets letting you field understrength units.

They are now wholly useless because they didn't get Angels of Death in FAQ/errata so really that's just a neat fun fact to impress your other local players who correctly never thought about it that hard.

EDIT: I want to be extra clear that this is only true for the 3-man squad datasheet; you can use those models for whatever you drat well please, they are not shackled to the datasheet in the box you bought them in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

im pooping! posted:

hello, i am new to wh40k. last november i started reading the black library books because a franchise that has lasted like 30 years seemed possibly compelling, and now ive read over 40 of them. for quite a while i had decided against playing the game because i have an addictive personality and thought i might really enjoy it and spend a lot of money buying plastic miniatures, and recently i succumbed and bought a warp crate which is basically a random miniature loot crate. i ended up with 5 orks which i dont particularly care for but i painted them and had so much god drat fun doing it that i dove into the ambull hole that i bought the first strike kit on amazon and now i have 3 death guard goons, 6 shambling pox walkers, 3 primaris intercessors and 3 rievers.

tbh i have a simple question which i probably already know the answer, but for possibly irrational reasons i dont like ultramarines and the data sheets or whatever for my space marines have the ultramarine keyword. they are the easy to build models and dont have alternate weapons on their sprues. are these dudes just generic and i can paint them whatever chapter i want and have them still legal for play?

That's awesome! What army are you thinking about starting? Space Marines are a lot of fun and thanks to a new rulebook are very competitive. We can definitely help you out with getting started.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

So I watched an IF vs Orc game at my local store the the past week and the IF force was all primaris and max boltered out (so to speak), and the orc player was practically tabled by the end of turn 2. Please tell me I've missed some glaring weakness in IF games when a generalist horde mulching army can kill heavy targets pretty drat easy with just bolters/heavy-bolters and neither give up any capacity against hordes or vehicle heavy lists....

Is it just a case of niche 'heavy' armies without the vehicle keyword being their foil?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

So I watched an IF vs Orc game at my local store the the past week and the IF force was all primaris and max boltered out (so to speak), and the orc player was practically tabled by the end of turn 2. Please tell me I've missed some glaring weakness in IF games when a generalist horde mulching army can kill heavy targets pretty drat easy with just bolters/heavy-bolters and neither give up any capacity against hordes or vehicle heavy lists....

Is it just a case of niche 'heavy' armies without the vehicle keyword being their foil?

Orks are pretty much the perfect target for fists, as even their vehicles aren't particularly durable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/28/battle-sister-bulletin-part-19-cherubs/

Cherubs!

I feel these could be the Nurglings for the Imperium side in the long run.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/28/battle-sister-bulletin-part-19-cherubs/

Cherubs!

I love the Armorium Cherubs so much.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cooked Auto posted:

Cherubs!

Something I've been reticent to give much thought, but in the literature is it ever explain where the cherubs come from (aside from the obviously horrifying assumption)?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

DandyLion posted:

Something I've been reticent to give much thought, but in the literature is it ever explain where the cherubs come from (aside from the obviously horrifying assumption)?

Like. It says in that article. They're vat grown bio things, outfitted with grav motors so they can fly. The wings are for show.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

DandyLion posted:

I’ve just finally gotten around to reading Dark Imperium and Guilliman takes the time to consider how abominable they are, so I would believe the assumptions are correct. In a universe where people can have their souls devoured for accidentally thinking about something or being bitten by a fly, it’s just another terrible reality on the pile.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Strobe posted:

For a tournament game those are actually bespoke Ultramarines datasheets letting you field understrength units.

I'm not aware of a tournament in the world that would allow you to use those datasheets.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm not aware of a tournament in the world that would allow you to use those datasheets.

Good news: they were always a bad enough idea that I'm not aware of a person in the world who tried.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hihohe posted:

Like. It says in that article. They're vat grown bio things, outfitted with grav motors so they can fly. The wings are for show.

Yeah I get that, but are they just vat-grown babies? Like the fact they're vat grown makes it more palatable.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

PierreTheMime posted:

I’ve just finally gotten around to reading Dark Imperium and Guilliman takes the time to consider how abominable they are, so I would believe the assumptions are correct. In a universe where people can have their souls devoured for accidentally thinking about something or being bitten by a fly, it’s just another terrible reality on the pile.

Ah ok, well that makes sense, I suppose I was just looking for a clear regard on the matter.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Just throwing it out there are, but that book was definitely miserable. Bits and pieces of Dark Imperium which were ok, like Guilliman talking about his dislike of cherubs. Unfortunately the rest of that book and it's sequel are just massive Primaris infomercials. Lords of Silence is ok though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mef989 posted:

There are bits and pieces of Dark Imperium which were ok, like Guilliman talking about his dislike of cherubs. Unfortunately the rest of that book and it's sequel are just massive Primaris infomercials. Lords of Silence is ok though.

Yeah it’s pretty striking how thoroughly they’re highlighted, but at least the author goes out of the way to voice some of the reservation and disappointment of “normal” marines falling by the wayside. Reading well after the product rollout, it’s pretty incredible how many models they got in there, both Imperial and Chaos-related. My one disappointment based on the reading is that Nurgle daemons don’t have gross whale corpse transports.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DandyLion posted:

Yeah I get that, but are they just vat-grown babies? Like the fact they're vat grown makes it more palatable.

The Warhammer Community post takes pains to point out that they're vat-grown, I guess because "dead kids" is too brutal even for 40k. Which, fair, that would have been mad hosed up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're... still kids. Just purpose-born for that nightmare "life."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ANAmal.net posted:

The Warhammer Community post takes pains to point out that they're vat-grown, I guess because "dead kids" is too brutal even for 40k. Which, fair, that would have been mad hosed up.

Yeah geez guys it’s not like they are nuns.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been trying to keep up with the lore, and I haven’t found too much about Phoenix Rising yet. From what I can gather nothing too earth shattering has happened yet. Strife between various Eldar factions has intensified a little, Shalaxi Helbane makes her 40K debut by clowning a bunch of named characters, and some mavericks have started researching a wacky plan to combine Craftworld spirit stones and Drukhari regrowth so that they can come back after dying to empower Ynnead. Is that the gist of it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve been trying to keep up with the lore, and I haven’t found too much about Phoenix Rising yet. From what I can gather nothing too earth shattering has happened yet. Strife between various Eldar factions has intensified a little, Shalaxi Helbane makes her 40K debut by clowning a bunch of named characters, and some mavericks have started researching a wacky plan to combine Craftworld spirit stones and Drukhari regrowth so that they can come back after dying to empower Ynnead. Is that the gist of it?

Nothing earth-shattering is going to happen. These books take place at various times in the hundred or so years between the end of 7th edition and the beginning of 8th and aren't advancing anything in any way. We might get some interesting things like you mentioned but ultimately it's just filling in the giant SCENE MISSING between Gathering Storm and the end of the Indomitus Crusade.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Cherubs!

One of the better bits of dark imperium i that these things give guilliman the creeps.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Zasze posted:

One of the better bits of dark imperium i that these things give guilliman the creeps.

It’s especially interesting because immediately after he enters a machine filled with dozens of quivering heads in jars all strung together with incredibly heretekal devices and is more intrigued with the idea that it’s all for show to hide Cawl built a computer than the wrongness of it.

Cawl :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr Christmas posted:

A lot of the actual narrative is in the Phoenix Rising box supplements and not the book itself which is insanely dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I used shadow step to move a lieutenant with the fancy oppressors end knife 9" from a farseer and charge him with Raven's Blade (rolling a 2 then a 10), killing him in one go. It owned. Nothing personnel kid marines own.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Hammer of Math: Smash Captain THUNDERDOME

Beer asked the goonhammer crew for their hottest smash captains. He then threw them into the MATH grinder. 

Astartes Genealogy Online: Goonhammer Successors

This is one of my ones and is a subject close to my heart-thing. We are starting a series where we take a look at various successors and pontificate about what rules you could use to represent them on the table top. To start with we looked at the Goonhammer Successors from a earlier HTPE. If you have a successor chapter you would like us to look at, post here or shoot me a PM! 

Tactica: Aeronautica Imperialis

Thundercloud looks at getting the best out of your Aeronautica planes, so you too can graduate as TOP ORK. I suspect he was talking with his hands (like a proper fighter pilot) the entire time he was writing this one.

How to Base Everything: Aeronautica Imperialis Radar Bases

SRM knows that to be a fighter pilot you must be cool*. Painted bases are *very* cool. Find out how to do it here.

Necromunday: Campaign Progression Part 3 – Rep, Brutes, and Hangers-On

Progression is a make it or break it thing in neco. Open palm slam part 3 in our series of how to do it well into your frontal cortex asap.

*Yes, it killed me on the inside to write that pilots are in fact, cool. Please don't tell anyone. 

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cooked Auto posted:

Cherubs!

Ah man, I thought the new article was going to be on the Exorcist.

Also, don't lump the Nurglings with these horrifying monstrosities. Nurglings are goofy little dudes who just want to have fun:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Max Wilco posted:

Also, don't lump the Nurglings with these horrifying monstrosities. Nurglings are goofy little dudes who just want to have fun:

Four more and you have an advent calendar.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Max Wilco posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Four more and you have an advent calendar.

Take your pick.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah but think of the kitbashing opportunities - now you can have winged angelic nurglings!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Question: If I took some dakkajets from Aeronatica Imperialis, would they be around the right size for counts-as deffkoptas? I have some ideas involving either remote controls, grots strapped on, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Chiwie posted:

Hammer of Math: Smash Captain THUNDERDOME

Beer asked the goonhammer crew for their hottest smash captains. He then threw them into the MATH grinder. 

Can I just take a moment to congratulate the author of this article on the smash captain names. I loved all of them.