Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, the same thread that brought us shoving honey up a bleeding dickhole because he was sounding too enthusiastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I think I’m done with humanity at this point. Finally.

:nms: :nws:

Let’s play a rousing game of GUESS! THE! PRISON SENTENCE!

In February, 2018, 19-year-old Brian Varela had a house party, where he gave 18-year-old Alyssa Noceda a “fat line” of crushed percocet, observed she was overdosing, then gave her more percocet and a dab of THC and had sex with her. Afterwards he googled “what to do if someone overdoses on perks [sic]”. The top result was to call 911, but instead he took pictures of her, lying there naked and probably dying if not dead, and sent them to his group chat, where his friends commented that she looks dead and that he hosed her to death.

He leaves her there overnight, notices in the morning that she has foam coming out of her mouth and bled out of her nose, and is cold with no pulse, so he locks his bedroom door and heads to work at Dairy Queen.

After work, he washes her body to remove DNA evidence, dresses her corpse, and puts her body in a plastic tote, breaking one leg to get her to fit.

He had bragged to co-workers about this, and while his friend and roommate who saw the body did nothing, a coworker did call the police — two days later. The tote was still in Varela’s bedroom and he was going to bury it that night. He confessed to everything and pled guilty.

So can you GUESS! THE! SENTENCE!?

20 years for rape and murder?

5 years for manslaughter?

Nope — 34 months for manslaughter, rape, and unlawful disposal of remains!

Story here

[edited - corrected sentence length]

Busket Posket has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Oct 27, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Busket Posket posted:

I think I’m done with humanity at this point. Finally.

:nms: :nws:

Let’s play a rousing game of GUESS! THE! PRISON SENTENCE!

In February, 2018, 19-year-old Brian Varela had a house party, where he gave 18-year-old Alyssa Noceda a “fat line” of crushed percocet, observed she was overdosing, then gave her more percocet and a dab of THC and had sex with her. Afterwards he googled “what to do if someone overdoses on perks [sic]”. The top result was to call 911, but instead he took pictures of her, lying there naked and probably dying if not dead, and sent them to his group chat, where his friends commented that she looks dead and that he hosed her to death.

He leaves her there overnight, notices in the morning that she has foam coming out of her mouth and bled out of her nose, and is cold with no pulse, so he locks his bedroom door and heads to work at Dairy Queen.

After work, he washes her body to remove DNA evidence, dresses her corpse, and puts her body in a plastic tote, breaking one leg to get her to fit.

He had bragged to co-workers about this, and while his friend and roommate who saw the body did nothing, a coworker did call the police — two days later. The tote was still in Varela’s bedroom and he was going to bury it that night. He confessed to everything and pled guilty.

So can you GUESS! THE! SENTENCE!?

20 years for rape and murder?

5 years for manslaughter?

Nope — 34 days for manslaughter, rape, and unlawful disposal of remains!

Story here

Months? I think it says months. It's still hosed but I think you misread

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

dudeness posted:

Months? I think it says months. It's still hosed but I think you misread

Heck you’re right I typoed — months not days

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whooooole bunch of dead people found in a truck in England:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50197691

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Solice Kirsk posted:

For those wondering, it's a similar situation to that one railcar found with a bunch of dead people, or even the trucks coming up from mexico that have people die during the trafficking. This is also a case of trafficking-gone-even-worse.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The IOSM thread had some examples of some super lovely comments on an articles about that truck.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Seeing as this came up a bit in another thread it seems like it should belong here more than where it actually is.

Horrific attack on a pubs friendly kookaburra. An origin story for a serial killer wouldn't be this cold about killing animals.

Content warning: I'm not joking about it being a seriously messed up animal attack even if it's just a standard news article you will want to avoid it if you don't like animal cruelty.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Seeing as this came up a bit in another thread it seems like it should belong here more than where it actually is.

Horrific attack on a pubs friendly kookaburra. An origin story for a serial killer wouldn't be this cold about killing animals.

Content warning: I'm not joking about it being a seriously messed up animal attack even if it's just a standard news article you will want to avoid it if you don't like animal cruelty.

quote:

Authorities are now working to confirm if it registers as an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2002.

If it’s not covered Australia has some catching up to do on their animal welfare act. Dude ripped off a pet birds head

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sounds like good mod material for PI.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tame by thread standards but the concept of fly in fly out arson tourism is still pretty unnerving

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was driving on one of the roads/bridges that crosses Tampa Bay Friday. I haven't been to the Bay but a handful of times, so this was the first time I noticed I was crossing the Courtney Campbell Causeway.

The name sticks out because it's a location in one of the best true crime stories I've ever read. I'm sure I've posted this before - probably multiple times - but Angels and Demons.

quote:

On June 4, 1989, the bodies of Jo, Michelle and Christe were found floating in Tampa Bay. This is the story of the murders, their aftermath, and the handful of people who kept faith amid the unthinkable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's also supposedly not too hard to just get permission, surprisingly. I remember an old Reply All episode about some site that was Instagram for doctors. It was just full of weird tumors and strange conditions. When HIPPA came up, the beauty of the site was that it was super easy to let a patient approve a post with a signature or thumbprint if there were concerns about privacy. Most agreed, especially after you told them it was going to help other doctors entertain themselves after work better ID things.

Figure 1 is probably the website. I have the app and it's cool - lots of interesting cases get posted for lots of specialties, everybody can chime in, etc. My personal point of pride is getting off the wall hematological stuff right sometimes

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was driving on one of the roads/bridges that crosses Tampa Bay Friday. I haven't been to the Bay but a handful of times, so this was the first time I noticed I was crossing the Courtney Campbell Causeway.

The name sticks out because it's a location in one of the best true crime stories I've ever read. I'm sure I've posted this before - probably multiple times - but Angels and Demons.

There's also a really good episode of Cold Case Files about that case, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMX6bIKMgV4

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Oct 28, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Aesop Poprock posted:

If it’s not covered Australia has some catching up to do on their animal welfare act. Dude ripped off a pet birds head

Little blue penguins semi frequently get brutally murdered for shits and giggles because people are monsters.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Little blue penguins semi frequently get brutally murdered for shits and giggles because people are monsters.

It's definitely a theme here

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Randaconda posted:

There's also a really episode of Cold Case Files about that case, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMX6bIKMgV4

I've hung out at that boat ramp several times. gently caress that story and the rear end in a top hat in it holy gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Telsa Cola posted:

I heard about a thing where Chinese tourists keep swarming the beaches in New Zealand where little penguins nest, push over the barriers and literally grab as many as they can while the police try to arrest them with spear-tackles.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard about a thing where Chinese tourists keep swarming the beaches in New Zealand where little penguins nest, push over the barriers and literally grab as many as they can while the police try to arrest them with spear-tackles.

That sounds a lot like a racist trope.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I live not far from a little blue penguin breeding area in NZ and this is the first I have heard of such a thing.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah that doesn't happen

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fact that this poo poo didn't immediately scream racist propaganda to you is worrying.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

The people were thought to be Chinese first, because they all had chinese passports, but it seems like a lot of them were Vietnamese travelling with fake Chinese ID. Facebook messages have started surfacing, one of a 24-year old woman telling her mother that 'the trip didn't succeed, that she loved her and that she couldn't breathe anymore.' The last thing she messages is her full name and where she was born, apparently to make sure she's buried in the right way.

It's heartbreaking to think that these people had means of communicating with pretty much everyone in the world while at the same time being unable to be saved.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

omg thanks for calling this one out everyone, i am having to let this sort of thing slide all the time in auspol and irl because this is seriously the tone of like our mainstream-to-centre-left media toward FOREIGNERS right now and it's scary how it reflects in our something awful posters, who are genuinely some of the gentlest leftists in the country at the moment. like if this is what auspol goons are saying imagine what the rhetoric is like from our version of trump voters. (that should be easy, because it's pretty similar to the regular version of trump voters.) scary times. love you all stay safe :h:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Seconding this. It's an incredible piece of writing, and an utterly devastating story. I read it all in one go, I just couldn't stop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sarcopenia posted:

The fact that this poo poo didn't immediately scream racist propaganda to you is worrying.

It does sound over the top in retrospect, but after a bunch of more verifiable stories of Chinese tourists wrecking poo poo it seemed believable at the time.

Australia apparently had to pass a law prohibiting getting close to a dead whale after a bunch of tourists tried to pat the sharks eating it.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does sound over the top in retrospect, but after a bunch of more verifiable stories of Chinese tourists wrecking poo poo it seemed believable at the time.

Australia apparently had to pass a law prohibiting getting close to a dead whale after a bunch of tourists tried to pat the sharks eating it.

Oh really? The only things I can find online about Australian laws concerning whale carcasses are things like this which make no mention of a law like that:
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/shark-blog/2019/02/the-whale-carcass-debate/
If it's verifiable, could you verify it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No idea, sorry. Guess that's on me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Too morbid for the schadenfreude thread:

Homemade 'pipe bomb' caused accidental death at gender-reveal party

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Oct 29, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo :stonk:

quote:

The Marion County Sheriff’s office said Pamela Kreimeyer died instantly when debris struck her head Saturday before flying another 132 meters (432 feet), and landing in a nearby field in rural Knoxville, about 56km (35 miles) southeast of Des Moines.

She was only standing 14 meters away from the explosion. The metal piece hit her, then continued flying for 9x the distance between her and the explosion. That's horrifying.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I can't take any joy in the death of a woman regardless of how lovely the party she was at was, that's brutal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OutOfPrint posted:

Holy poo poo :stonk:

She was only standing 14 meters away from the explosion. The metal piece hit her, then continued flying for 9x the distance between her and the explosion. That's horrifying.

I hate to be the one to break this to you but that’s kinda how all explosives work. Hell it’s basically how guns work. You fling a chunk or many chunks of metal via an explosion with far more force than a human body can withstand and towards a far distance. You hope that your enemies and their precious body parts are between the starting point and the far distance.

That’s why we try to keep them out of the hands of random assholes

OH SHITBWAIT :911:

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 29, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
But like, is it a boy or a girl?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

Yes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember reading this one and my heart breaking for the poor father. Him withdrawing thousands of dollars for the reward while his family was missing and then just leaving the money in his car after he found out they were dead is one of the saddest things I've ever read in one of these articles.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

At least they didn't catch half of Arizona on fire.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I'm sure there was pink mist soooooo.....a girl?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I remember reading this one and my heart breaking for the poor father. Him withdrawing thousands of dollars for the reward while his family was missing and then just leaving the money in his car after he found out they were dead is one of the saddest things I've ever read in one of these articles.

Yeah, the whole story of the dad is just terrible. He even had a support network trying their best to help him work through it and it just wasn't enough for him to get professional help. Another victim of a horrendous crime.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you but that’s kinda how all explosives work. Hell it’s basically how guns work. You fling a chunk or many chunks of metal via an explosion with far more force than a human body can withstand and towards a far distance. You hope that your enemies and their precious body parts are between the starting point and the far distance.

That’s why we try to keep them out of the hands of random assholes

OH SHITBWAIT :911:

No poo poo. This wasn't some piece of military hardware deployed at Fallujah. I was a gender reveal, which should have had the payload of a firecracker at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OutOfPrint posted:

No poo poo. This wasn't some piece of military hardware deployed at Fallujah. I was a gender reveal, which should have had the payload of a firecracker at most.
if humans were good at risk assessment there wouldn't be so many of them.