Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Which anime is this from?

Edit: 278 days until Brexit maybe! Get ready! Also please tell us how to get ready - HMG (Cummies)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
How long does it normally take to get a postal vote sorted? There's a good chance I'll be out of the country if this election happens when expected.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Overminty posted:

See I still think this one looks nice but I just like magpies.

Especially this one
https://twitter.com/breesophiebree/status/1188743949508325377
i have updated with a suitably drab magpie

that's a lil fluffy cutie :3:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Borrovan posted:

You say this as if Worcester sauce flavoured crisps are freely available at every corner shop

That's a fair objection, and I would not argue against a public entity tasked with producing any reasonably edible crisp flavours that market forces prove unable to provide

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1188763863270989824

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Australia has amazing birds but it also has cassowaries and INFINITE POISONOUS SPIDERS so it's a bit of a mix overall.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Note that this was expected: the tories knighted him so he has to stand down.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

Which anime is this from?

mayochiki

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yea, like, resourceful public intervention in the housing market is definitely key, as long as that intervention is long-term and consciously counters market tendencies. Instead of starting off with "we're gonna take ur house", you can just annoy and pester and torture the accountants until they're like "please take my house" and then the free market can do the stuff it can do competently without public intervention such as providing crisp flavours
There's a few options. The Common Ground Trust idea sounds reasonably well thought out, and manages the market while locking out landlords and allowing wages to catch up with housing prices and retirees to release equity, it's a moderately left reformist solution to the issue of land ownership.

Getting more radical, one could say that privately owned housing is at the peak of a massive bubble and pop it on purpose. You wouldn't need to seize your nan's bungalow to do that, you could put residency restrictions or empty property restrictions on London properties, which would in turn undermine the BtL landlords leveraging 20 houses to buy 20 more, which would drop the asset price into freefall. That leaves a lot of people underwater on their mortgages though, but that's where some regionally backed common land group can come along and say "we'll buy your mortgage off you and you can live in the house for ground rent and you'll be part of our common land group." If they get enough people to sign up to that then they can go to the banks and say "how much do you think this 500m of mortgage debt is really worth, hey?" and suddenly it costs a lot less than that to bring a whole bunch of houses into common land ownership.

More radical than that and you can just ban freeholds being held by anyone other than approved non-profit trusts and natural persons. And more radical than that you can make all freeholds life estates that default back to the public and care for people in old age by having actually funded social services.

And more radical than that (for the UK it seems) is we could also build some good medium density social housing. :v:

Carborundum posted:

The interests who would resist a plan that made housing a right of all citizens would also resist any attempt to reform away the problems. So like gently caress it, aim high. Why fight on their ground: policy and practicality and reasonableness, when you can fight on the moral high ground?
This too, we've had too many years of triangulation from the left. You don't end up where you are happy to cede ground to get to by starting off where you are happy to cede ground to get to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why are none of you fuckers posting now I look like a sociopath

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1188759511617679360

lmao

https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1188772918777597952

jesus christ the lib dems did something good????? stopped clocks...

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Is this the part where we all come together and make leftist agitprop that we can easily distribute across city centres and marginalised areas to ensure full communism on December 12th

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

the UK doesn't have the super-shiny metallic-looking colouration on its birds for the most part, but there are still lots of really pretty ones. starting with these two:

the starling

and the magpie

Ooh, I forgot about those. Love a starling's wing, and I always thought magpies were very pretty and unfairly maligned. I too am attracted to shiny stuff and can't be trusted not to steal things like cameras.

Mallards are good too. The females are pretty in an understated way with a flash of blue on the wing, and the males do the standard bird thing of being much more showy than the females.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also being sex predators to a ridiculous degree.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Note that this was expected: the tories knighted him so he has to stand down.

When the Tories are knighting you for service rendered, it's pretty safe to say you're one of the biggest pieces of poo poo on the planet. Mann's legacy is secure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

But enough about the tories

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Indeed. And dressing extravagantly is another thing they share with the wealthy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

When the Tories are knighting you for service rendered, it's pretty safe to say you're one of the biggest pieces of poo poo on the planet. Mann's legacy is secure.

He was literally only knighted because he voted for May's deal consistently lol. His entire reason for being a peer is testament to a failure.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Magpies are cool as hell. Also in my old house there was a Blackbird who had an awesome call and it was great to hear him come back every year and blast it out from the top of the tree in the garden.

In my new house there's a shitload of Jackdaws who are also cool and they chill out around my bird feeder and chatter away. Robins are amazing too, friendly as hell and I think they look great.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

The actual wsy you can tell a true Scotsman is by whether or not he has mugged you for an hour of your life.

I mug you all of an hour and a half of your life every week

Venomous posted:

Is this the part where we all come together and make leftist agitprop that we can easily distribute across city centres and marginalised areas to ensure full communism on December 12th

Like that?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The goose is a good ancom, so yes

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

This is awesome. Please do more of this and do it harder.

Aphex- posted:

Robins are amazing too, friendly as hell and I think they look great.

Why thank you. That is my name :D

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Mogg in the bog

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

Why are none of you fuckers posting now I look like a sociopath

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1188759511617679360

lmao

https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1188772918777597952

jesus christ the lib dems did something good????? stopped clocks...

Macron just wants to appear tough on brexit, though I'm sure annoyance with the waffling brits isn't feigned or exclusive to him really. Any extension request that Ireland supports is extremely unlikely to be nixed, and if one of the big players gets all "let's finally force this issue grrrr" chances are they're actually aiming for the optics of surrendering that position out of respect for and friendship with the irish people etc

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Braggart posted:

They're also incredibly violent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Macron just wants to appear tough on brexit, though I'm sure annoyance with the waffling brits isn't feigned or exclusive to him really. Any extension request that Ireland supports is extremely unlikely to be nixed, and if one of the big players gets all "let's finally force this issue grrrr" chances are they're actually aiming for the optics of surrendering that position out of respect for and friendship with the irish people etc

Yeah, plus as I think was pointed out here Macron's view was consistent: he was willing to put on pressure to back Johnson's deal, in which case he would allow a 1 month extension to ratify poo poo, or if a GE was promised he would be happy with longer.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Counterpoint: magpies are arsehole murderers who keep driving away and slaughtering all the little birds at my parent's back garden

And yes the dearth of Worcester sauce crisps is an absolute travesty

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Braggart posted:

This is awesome. Please do more of this and do it harder.

I’d love to but it’s not mine, pinched it from the discord (thanks zeph1rus)

Unless I’m shuffling waveforms around I’m not v creative :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Magpies collect shiny things and pile them up in their nest for no reason other than that they're shiny; they're the "number go up" of the avian world, capitalist to their core

Robins might be incredibly violent but they're red :ussr:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

They're also incredibly violent.
Within the social analysis of relations, one can discern three specific types of violence, the first is subjective violence (violence perpetrated by an agent to whom the act can be rendered accountable, the 'subject'), and to the Liberal this is the only type of violence recognized, objective violence (violence inherent to various systems and hegemonic structures and the motor behind stochastic acts of subjective violence), and bird violence, birds will gently caress you up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Illuyankas posted:

The fact I can't get them in the US of A disgusts me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Huh Bird chat, thats a new one.

Since ive moved out of the city i get an insane amount of birds of prey around the house. Pretty sure we have a nest of Kites in the woods at the back of the garden and there are constant Buzzards around.

My dad also used to breed Budgies, at one point had 30 of them in an Avery he built in the back garden, this thing was insane, it was a shed with full insulation, time controlled lighting and heating.

He had books dedicated to how to get certain colour matches, properly building the perfect avian race.

Slightly lovely quality but these were the ones i took after he died and we had to give them up for adoption

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Illuyankas posted:

Counterpoint: magpies are arsehole murderers who keep driving away and slaughtering all the little birds at my parent's back garden

The Magpies in my old garden always seemed to get on nicely with the other birds! I never found any evidence of them killing the smaller ones, and we always had loads of them around.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1188771082758737920

going to be an odd brexit election for Labour if McDonnell's plan is to be more #peoplesvote than thou whilst the party itself is #onedayspecialconferenceafterwinninganelection

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

My impression of the bird world is that you have to overlook that a lot of them are brutal psychopaths and try to just enjoy the ostentatious display.

Again, just like rich people.

This bird is doing the Jeremy Corbyn head turn thing.

I bet Corbyn also has a dying rat held skewered out of frame that he'll eat when he gets bored of torturing it.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 28, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

(Memorial to the 39 people who were found dead in Essex)

It's galling that he's acting like he gives a solitary poo poo.

Also his handwriting is loving awful.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

Australia has amazing birds
https://youtu.be/mO-OpFjHRbE

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1188771082758737920

going to be an odd brexit election for Labour if McDonnell's plan is to be more #peoplesvote than thou whilst the party itself is #onedayspecialconferenceafterwinninganelection

Honestly I'd just go with the attack line "Jo Swindon can't even guarantee her own seat never mind a People's vote" since most likely she'll lose to the SNP as Brexit ramps up.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What time are things kicking off today?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jedit posted:

Mann was my local MP, a friend interned for him and he was the creepiest, most flip floppy lying sacks of poo poo I’ve ever had the misfortune of talking to. Thank gently caress he’s out. He was so bad for the constituency that I actually voted Tory, not to support them since it’s always been a Labour safe seat, but to maybe shift the numbers just enough to get him deselected.

Can’t believe the bloody Tories would do that for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Government looks like it’s going to support the Lib-Dem/SNP motion if their motion is defeated. If that’s the case, Labour has to vote to bring down the government before that happens, otherwise the optics are going to be absolutely awful.