Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

Id be lying if I said I werent thinking real hard about it.

You have to weigh the pros and the cons.

Pro:
well known/understood platform.
Fun if you're into that kind of thing.
it's a cockroach (beetle puns itc).

con: It's no NSX

Clearly the cons outweigh the pros.

(You do you, fam. Either is awesome and I'm totes jelly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Some high quality boomer galaxy brain knowledge was dropped on Savagegeese recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SuBh7TqsE

:shuckyes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sure it's possible to find something more opposite my TJ than the C5Z.

But only just.

My brother's car was due for emissions, he's out of state, and my mom was intimidated at the idea of driving it to get it checked.

I don't blame her. I haven't driven anything over 190hp since I sold the WJ, so my sense of "fast" is pretty low, but holy gently caress that car hauls without even trying.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Tomarse posted:

I had to go for a hospital appointment yesterday to get my wisdom teeth looked at. I am now waiting for an appointment to get them all taken out.

Who has had this done? Is it gonna suck? :( apparently I will require a double length surgical slot to allow for removing enough bone to get the bottom ones out and because the top ones are into my sinuses.
Getting wisdom teeth out is super common. Do what they say and rest, not a big deal.

Also the temp is going from 75 today to 45 tomorrow and I was planning on taking the motorcycle out and didn't get to it today. 😭

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 27, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

redgubbinz posted:

Some high quality boomer galaxy brain knowledge was dropped on Savagegeese recently:

do not skip this post my god

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm sure it's possible to find something more opposite my TJ than the C5Z.

But only just.

My brother's car was due for emissions, he's out of state, and my mom was intimidated at the idea of driving it to get it checked.

I don't blame her. I haven't driven anything over 190hp since I sold the WJ, so my sense of "fast" is pretty low, but holy gently caress that car hauls without even trying.

Can’t go wrong with an LS. Love the torque in those. Yeah my mustang screams and pulls harder higher in the revs, but my base C5 felt faster down low, even though it’s 460hp vs 350.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even compared to my LS1 C10 it's a whole different ballgame. Up somewhere around 80-100hp depending on how much credit you want to give my cold air intake and exhaust, down 800lb, and No loving 4L60E. It just feels effortless. Put your right foot down, hear happy noises, suddenly you're breaking the law.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If he hasn’t already tell him to drop a C6Z shifter into it. It’s a direct swap and completely transforms the shifting.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It just feels effortless. Put your right foot down, hear happy noises, suddenly you're breaking the law.

I am cautiously optimistic that the S65 is going to feel like this.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tremek posted:

I am cautiously optimistic that the S65 is going to feel like this.

When does it arrive?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even compared to my LS1 C10 it's a whole different ballgame. Up somewhere around 80-100hp depending on how much credit you want to give my cold air intake and exhaust, down 800lb, and No loving 4L60E. It just feels effortless. Put your right foot down, hear happy noises, suddenly you're breaking the law.

A dude I know drives a C6MT convertible, he loves it, drives it all over the country and has over 150k miles on it. I really like that car, but drat I'd get into trouble with it that's why I drive slow cars, I have a hard enough time not speeding in my loving xB :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

If he hasn’t already tell him to drop a C6Z shifter into it. It’s a direct swap and completely transforms the shifting.

Don't know if he has yet, but if there's anything I'd improve, it'd be that.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A dude I know drives a C6MT convertible, he loves it, drives it all over the country and has over 150k miles on it. I really like that car, but drat I'd get into trouble with it that's why I drive slow cars, I have a hard enough time not speeding in my loving xB :v:

This car is the opposite, under 50k miles and minty fresh. Though I'm sure I'd be in big trouble with it.

Of course I think the car might just attract trouble. I was sitting in a line at a stoplight and watched an oncoming Focus try to jump the center median into me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd get into trouble with it that's why I drive slow cars, I have a hard enough time not speeding in my loving xB :v:

I caught myself doing 95 in the Outback the other day (long empty stretch of tollroad). A 3500 pound wagon with roughly the same power as your xB. :stare:

It started shaking pretty bad until I let off the gas. Bad CV joint making itself very well known (and it's been clicking anytime I give it gas since then :doh:), but as it turns out, a brand new (not reman) axle is $80 at Advance (no core either). They're $60 on Rockauto + core + shipping, so I'm gonna order it online for in-store pickup at Advance and use a 20% off coupon. I just hope this one lasts until I can afford the new one. :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I finally bought a new car. 2020 Corolla LE.

It's cool and good. I thought I would hate the cvt but I actually like it for highway driving. The adaptive cruise control is also super cool.

Hybrid CVT? 1.8 or 2.0 or do you guys get something different?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

64bit_Dophins posted:

It's cool and good. I thought I would hate the cvt but I actually like it for highway driving. The adaptive cruise control is also super cool.

You should look into Comma.ai's Openpilot for this car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

Nice. I think the new Corollas look really good; I only wish they had a more powerful engine option.

If I understand correctly, the CVT has a "normal" first gear so you get better response and torque multiplication at low speed, then it shifts into CVT for mid range accel and low RPM cruising. Sort of the best of both worlds.

A lot of car reviewers have said believe it or not the CVT Kia put in the new Soul is one of the best on the market. Anyone driven one?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hybrid CVT? 1.8 or 2.0 or do you guys get something different?

It's the 1.8 CVT.

Previa_fun posted:

Nice. I think the new Corollas look really good; I only wish they had a more powerful engine option.

If I understand correctly, the CVT has a "normal" first gear so you get better response and torque multiplication at low speed, then it shifts into CVT for mid range accel and low RPM cruising. Sort of the best of both worlds.

A lot of car reviewers have said believe it or not the CVT Kia put in the new Soul is one of the best on the market. Anyone driven one?

Yeah it is by far the most responsive CVT that I've driven and it's great in traffic but I haven't tried kia's offering so idk that could be better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Previa_fun posted:

The hybrid might behave that way but it doesn't have a separate physical first great. The 2.0 HSD is a little more powerful, +30bhp I think.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrOnBicycle posted:

You should look into Comma.ai's Openpilot for this car.

Is this a shitpost? Isn't this the same one that packed up and moved his operations out of the country after the DOT asked him some really softball, preliminary questions about safety due diligence?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Raluek posted:

Is this a shitpost? Isn't this the same one that packed up and moved his operations out of the country after the DOT asked him some really softball, preliminary questions about safety due diligence?

Not at all. No idea about the other stuff though. I mean it improves on Toyota's lovely stock system that tries to run you off the road so...
The dude seems to take safety seriously, bans people who even discuss how to get round stock systems in an unsafe manner.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Better plate for NC Miata: "Boxster," "S2000," or "Elise" ?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

Better plate for NC Miata: "Boxster," "S2000," or "Elise" ?

MGB

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

redgubbinz posted:

This is some of the better insane rambling I've heard in a while.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of the gig companies I drive for requires pictures of the interior and exterior of the car I'm using. So naturally, I took a picture of the best corner (front left), and cleaned out the interior. It was pretty clean when I got it, but I hurridly threw everything from the Saturn into it when I left the dealer with it. So I spent a bit more time cleaning it out earlier.

Found a pack of brand new Pennzoil branded 1157 light bulbs. I know of one place that sells them (dirt cheap too.. $1.19 for two, vs $5 or so at Walmart for actual name brand bulbs), and it's right down the street from both the dealer and my apartment. I've purchased 2 packs of them, but used all 4 bulbs already (one housing was cracked, the other 2 showed signs of the bulbs getting wet, but had no water in them?). So finding an unopened package... Yeah, they had to know it was popping taillights. :doh:

FWIW, it hasn't popped any bulbs since I replaced the cracked housing (it's been through one decent storm already, no water in any housings). The two inner bulbs looked like they'd been in there a long time; I think the only reason it got through our state inspection is because both were broken, and neither I nor the inspector knew it has 4 brake lights instead of 2 (+ center high mount).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

After three days off work and a weekend I am not ready to deal with Monday's bullshit. I am trying to be positive and all, but being gone made me realize I don't take enough time off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i put the snow tires on the alltrack today which was probably a bit early but i can't be fussed to deal with it when everyone else is also scheduling their appointments

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

After three days off work and a weekend I am not ready to deal with Monday's bullshit. I am trying to be positive and all, but being gone made me realize I don't take enough time off.

This was me last week. And now I get to spend this week training a boomer. :shepicide:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wrapped day 15 of a 19bday stretch today and I just want to sleep forever.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I haven't been back to work since my accident, and although it feels weird it's kinda nice being a house husband for awhile.

My lawyers think I'm a slam dunk case for disability and put in all the paperwork so I'm not sure when I'll be working again. It's a bit depressing honestly.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I too went out of town this weekend and stayed up late hanging with some friends last night. Upon arriving to work this morning, I parked my car, opened the door, planted my feet on the pavement, and immediately realized I didn't change out of my sneakers after letting the dog out this morning. Dress slacks, button-down shirt, nice belt, gently caress-off red Adidas sneakers.

Luckily the girlfriend works from home on Mondays, so I had her drop off my dress shoes :downs:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm not sure when I'll be working again. It's a bit depressing honestly.

This sucks dude. I'm sorry.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

loving thieves man.
This was a great thing to be woken up to this morning.

Thankfully they weren't able to get I to the back of the van where all the expensive stuff is.

But they still stole my brand loving new electric caulk gun. And they stole my loving lunch box.

What the gently caress man.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That seriously sucks, but at first I thought it was your new Explorer and I was like noooo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving fuckers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

-the van where all the expensive stuff is.

But they still stole my brand loving new electric caulk gun. And they stole my loving lunch box.

What the gently caress man.

That loving sucks. They made another attempt on my truck with a screw driver a few weeks ago, and ended up settling for my torque wrench and custom made coveralls that will only fit a 7 foot ogre. I wish i could just put a sign "nothing worth stealing, you'll never start the truck" They obviously got something because the other morning one of the traffic lights was taken out, and somebody drove the entire length of 32nd street with a hosed up car.

then they'd probably steal the loving sign.

In brighter news, i have been pestering my favorite tire shop for wheel weights but always seemed to miss a pail of them. Today they had 2 pails for me. the pails weigh 208lbs so i probably got 180lbs of lead for 40 bucks. gonna be a lot of cleaning, but i think i can get my bat up to about 75 pounds. And build a ballast to counter-act my fat rear end in the pickup to even out tire wear.

I'm going to build a small ballast ball to stick in the corner of the cab then get it aligned to zero toe with 300lbs in the driver's seat. I would like to put 30,000kms on my truck next spring.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 28, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

This sucks dude. I'm sorry.

Yes. Yes it does. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Speaking of things that suck

The PO are refusing to play ball. We're guessing they saw the total and have balked and are now trying the "he's a sickly old man" defense. They told their rep they're done with this. So off to small claims court we go with our rock solid evidence.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

T-Square posted:

That seriously sucks, but at first I thought it was your new Explorer and I was like noooo

If it was the Explorer I'd be out for blood for sure.

I'm still super pissed, but I'm glad they didnt take anything super expensive. At least we have tool insurance at work so I can get it replaced.

Sucks about the electric caulk gun though. I just got it like 2 weeks ago. I only got to use it once. :smith:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i put the snow tires on the alltrack today which was probably a bit early but i can't be fussed to deal with it when everyone else is also scheduling their appointments
I am a klutz and a car-repair catastrophe, but I do change out my own tires seasonally. It's kinda nice to see the tires swapped out on the rack, and I can know for sure that everything was both torqued-down enough and not cross-threaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

swapped my wifes alltrack over to winters as well - i typically do it the 2nd week of november - but it's supposed to be snowy and cold early this year. i like to give the suspension and brakes a good once over so its pleasant to do it myself.