Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

That looks super rad and I am extremely mad because I do not need yet another project

It was the most fun I've had with a hobby project in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Endman posted:

That looks super rad and I am extremely mad because I do not need yet another project
:same:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have some of of the brass etched ratlines from Langton, I may see if they fit.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

I was specifically going to pick up Chain of Command, since I see glowing praise for it everywhere I look. I just have no idea where to start with historicals.

But yeah, I'm the one who always has to buy two armies whenever I buy a wargame. I knew what I was getting into in that regard.
If you want to do stuff on 1/72, then 20mm figures are pretty close. Everybody and their brother makes 20mm minis for WW2, that stuff is ubiquitous. And being able to use 1/72 models (which are also cheap and ubiquitous) is awesome. If you're in the UK, you can also snag OO scale railroad buildings for terrain, too.

As for Chain of Command, I can only add to the glowing praise. It is the game that finally tipped me over the edge when it came to historicals (which I avoided for a long time because I knew how deep into it I would inevitably get). It's a really fun game to play, and for linked campaigns it's downright awesome.

Speaking of which, it looks like the pint-sized campaign I submitted to TFL might be making it into the 2019 Lard Annual. I am stoked!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I ordered two of the new Wargames Illustrated hoping to get one of each Black Seas sprues. Instead I got two sprues of Brigs. So if anyone wants a Black Seas sprue with or without the current issue I'll trade for the Frigate sprue or $10.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Class Warcraft posted:

I ordered two of the new Wargames Illustrated hoping to get one of each Black Seas sprues. Instead I got two sprues of Brigs. So if anyone wants a Black Seas sprue with or without the current issue I'll trade for the Frigate sprue or $10.

I cancelled my WI subscription, and the first issue after the end was the boats, so I bought one and got two brings. Then a copy dropped through the letterbox and I got a Frigates as well! bonus!

I also got this months Dredd Issue, so I'm not sure what's going on at their end.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
The Danish Navy paint scheme during the Napoleonic wars was black white black, so that settles it. I'm going to paint up the other side of my Black Seas force as Danes. :denmark:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

I cancelled my WI subscription, and the first issue after the end was the boats, so I bought one and got two brings. Then a copy dropped through the letterbox and I got a Frigates as well! bonus!

I also got this months Dredd Issue, so I'm not sure what's going on at their end.

They kept sending them to me for almost a year after I canceled.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I got the newest issue of... Miniature Wargames? Yesterday.

It has the most insane thing ever conceived: WWI skirmish rules for Warhammer 40K 8E Kill Team.

Then again, Warhammer Great War was a thing...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Written by Conrad Kinch by any chance?

ETA: found a sample showing the author's name. I'll grab this over the weekend I think. I have some 20mm WWI mans around.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 25, 2019

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JcDent posted:

I got the newest issue of... Miniature Wargames? Yesterday.

It has the most insane thing ever conceived: WWI skirmish rules for Warhammer 40K 8E Kill Team.

Then again, Warhammer Great War was a thing...

Kill Team is actually a great game and WWI KT sounds unironically fantastic

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Kill Team is actually a great game and WWI KT sounds unironically fantastic

Possibly. I just bounced off it _hard_.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It doesn't sound *quite* as cool as the game I saw years back where they did trench raids using Space Hulk rules. To make the terrain look good and stay "secret" they had the defender set it up and then covered it with a cloth so only the visible sections of trench were visible at any given moment, blip tokens moved on top of the cloth.

Turns out when both sides are as squishy as Genestealers but you can turn a corner into an unexpected Vickers gun poo poo gets futile fast :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I should probably finish my WWI units, but it looks like Renegade miniatures is still "on vacation." Does anyone make a good 28mm line that's comparable? The Foundry stuff is OK but a little small.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

It doesn't sound *quite* as cool as the game I saw years back where they did trench raids using Space Hulk rules. To make the terrain look good and stay "secret" they had the defender set it up and then covered it with a cloth so only the visible sections of trench were visible at any given moment, blip tokens moved on top of the cloth.

Turns out when both sides are as squishy as Genestealers but you can turn a corner into an unexpected Vickers gun poo poo gets futile fast :v:

I'm shocked, shocked that Ivan Sorensen or TFL don't have a ruleset for that.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried Too Fat Lardies Kiss Me Hardy rules? I'm really excited about Black Seas, but I'm starting to wonder if there's not a pattern to me trying out Warlord Games rules and using the models for 2FL rules after a bit.

BS sounds like it might be a bit light for my tastes, although I haven't tried it yet.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

I should probably finish my WWI units, but it looks like Renegade miniatures is still "on vacation." Does anyone make a good 28mm line that's comparable? The Foundry stuff is OK but a little small.

Great War Minis.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I can vouch for Great War. Their French line is fantastic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Awesome, thanks. I ordered some rifle-grenadiers, I'll post a side-by-side when they arrive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Has anyone tried Too Fat Lardies Kiss Me Hardy rules? I'm really excited about Black Seas, but I'm starting to wonder if there's not a pattern to me trying out Warlord Games rules and using the models for 2FL rules after a bit.

BS sounds like it might be a bit light for my tastes, although I haven't tried it yet.

Zokie bought KMH for basically the same reason, I think. I've also used Warhammer Historical's Trafalgar before, and if Black Seas is too "light" I'll go with that unless KMH turns out to be superior.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up an M4. I realized after I applied the weathering powder that it wasn't quite the tone I wanted, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Very nice indeed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not that I need another game / era, but how was SPQR anyway? I'm seeing cheap starter boxes, and with ancient Sharp Practice aound the corner it seems like a no-lose proposition.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does Flames of War publish any sort of guided, narrative campaigns?

I used to play a little WH40k and would love to spend a year or so guiding my friends through operation Market Garden, in the style of Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far. You know, the paratroopers first trying to overwhelm the German garrison and then hold out until relieved. I could involve several friends by splitting up the paratroopers, the garrison, the German reinforcements, the Germans holding the highway, and the Americans trying to push up the Highway ,etc.

I've tried searching their website and I do seem to see both Market Garden and A Bridge Too Far material, including campaigns, but I'm not sure exactly what they are; I'm looking for something that, like Close Combat, gives you a series of connected battles woven into a larger strategic map, accounts for time tables and reinforcements, troop morale and ammunition changes, and generally provides a kind of meta-game above and beyond the individual battles.

So is what I’m looking for out there, either in Flames of War or something else?

Fake Edit: Actually, I bet ASL has this?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does Flames of War publish any sort of guided, narrative campaigns?

They have what are called "Firestorm" campaigns. These are a boxed set with a map, some rules, and a few playing pieces.

The first one published covered Operation Bagration (Red Army v. Germans 1944), the second covered Market Garden. There are a few others (that are not in boxed sets) that I'm not as familiar with; I seem to recall that they had one for WWI, one for the Warsaw Uprising, and one for Team Yankee/WWIII, but I'm not certain of those.

They work like a big area-movement wargame. You declare attacks by laying down arrows from area to area, and get the option of moving in additional units represented by pieces on the map. For each "attack" you play a standard FoW game, plus you get to add in whatever additional units are present, and take the area if you win the game. There's a bit more to it, but in practice it is a way to link together FoW games through a map campaign.

So:

Those arrows represent games to be played. One would be a game where the Allies attack from Box(can't read) bridge to Groesbeek Heights - the Allies get two additional units of infantry, the Germans get another unit of King Tiger tanks. There's another one from Groesbeek Heights to Nijme(gen); I'm not sure what order they'd be played in as I don't know whose turn it is, but you get the idea.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 4, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh man, that's exactly what I was hoping for; I'll check that out further, thanks.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to Crisis this year?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Typically I see the Pz. III M represented in photos and models as having the base yellow with brown and green pattern. However according to my research the Ms were coming out of production right around the time that armor paint was switching from the dark gray to the 3 color. Would any 3Ms have the dark gray?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh man, that's exactly what I was hoping for; I'll check that out further, thanks.

It's a good system. The only potential drawback is that they take a long time - you'll end up playing dozens of games in order to do a full campaign. If that's what you're looking for you're set.

Post pics if you end up playing this out!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just put together some Plastic Soldier Panthers and looked at them side by side with an older Flames of War Panther. The flames tank is slightly larger but it’s not noticeable unless they are right next to each other. The barrel and turret are certainly interchangeable.

So drat close, better quality and almost half the cost. I’ll be getting them when I can.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Just put together some Plastic Soldier Panthers and looked at them side by side with an older Flames of War Panther. The flames tank is slightly larger but it’s not noticeable unless they are right next to each other. The barrel and turret are certainly interchangeable.

So drat close, better quality and almost half the cost. I’ll be getting them when I can.

The newest plastic FoW kits are really great though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fish and Chimps posted:

The newest plastic FoW kits are really great though.

Yeah but $45 for 5 vs $25 for 5.

FoW makes vehicles that PSC doesnt including a lot of the small guns. Just don’t think I’ll have problem mixing them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Now that I'm an employed adult I've been buying second hand painted models from other people since my available free time is basically non-existent.

Honestly, it's kinda nice to be able to just open a box and then take the models and immediately be able to game with them with no time investment.

Anyway, I bought a gang of Cowboys for Dracula's America, and they are seriously impressive. I was hoping someone could help me track down the manufacturer since I want to get more.

Judging by the weight they're either resin or plastic. Definitely not metal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like Black Scorpion to me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Just checked and you're right.

So, I guess this is a glowing endorsement of Black Scorpion. They're drat fine models.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I love Black Scorpion, all my cowboys are from them too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been looking at them of late for Star Wars RPG character figures, since a "headswap" and a gun sight will normally make them work fine as whatever you want them to be.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most canon Star Wars guns are already just real guns with a new paint job and sci fi parts glued on

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Yeah I love Black Scorpion, all my cowboys are from them too.

I'll look into them. Most of mine are from Knuckleduster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most canon Star Wars guns are already just real guns with a new paint job and sci fi parts glued on
Exactly, and it's a space western anyway. Minimal greenstuff work gets you all kinds of appropriate figures.