Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

taking on a single letter last name is pretty badass imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol oops I thought this was truomp thread o well

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Her full name is Margaret Quigley

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hobbesmaster posted:

They're going to get charged with every crime in the book and then use the parable of the scorpion and the frog as a criminal defense.

:lol:

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I always love the few times I see my city popping up on SA but not when it's because it's gonna burn the the ground. Again. There's no power at the house we evacuated to in loving OAKLAND, and my kids are terrified. Deprivatize PG&E loving immediately.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Deprivatize Nationalize PG&E loving immediately.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Even if nationalised it will probably take a decade or so for the power grid to be fixed. Parts of California are going to be in existential trouble soon if the drought continues.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

would be hilarious if a few pistachio plantations going up in flames is the impetus for rapprochement with iran

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I always love the few times I see my city popping up on SA but not when it's because it's gonna burn the the ground. Again. There's no power at the house we evacuated to in loving OAKLAND, and my kids are terrified. Deprivatize PG&E loving immediately.

this is a great time to revolutionize kids and teach them how to march on a mansion housing one fucko family that is ruining the lives of three sevenths of a state :hai:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i say swears online posted:

would be hilarious if a few pistachio plantations going up in flames is the impetus for rapprochement with iran

it'd be great if the fires were happening in the orchards instead of populated urban-wildland interface, and the pistachio-growing part of the state is going to need to fallow land anyway, but i don't think the orchards transmit wildfires. maybe wildfires don't start in those heavily cultivated flatlands. so wildfires won't save us from the resnicks

(unless there's a wildfire in beverly hills, anyway. and beverly hills is in a Very High Fire-Hazard Severity Zone, it seems)

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

oystertoadfish posted:

it'd be great if the fires were happening in the orchards instead of populated urban-wildland interface, and the pistachio-growing part of the state is going to need to fallow land anyway, but i don't think the orchards transmit wildfires. maybe wildfires don't start in those heavily cultivated flatlands. so wildfires won't save us from the resnicks

(unless there's a wildfire in beverly hills, anyway. and beverly hills is in a Very High Fire-Hazard Severity Zone, it seems)

Good news, that area near the Getty filled with rich peoples homes is on fire again

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh no, all of the stolen art might get damaged :ohdear:

But seriously, the Getty is cool and I hope it isn't damaged

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

Even if nationalised it will probably take a decade or so for the power grid to be fixed. Parts of California are going to be in existential trouble soon if the drought continues.

The drought is over. This was a very wet year. Yet here we are.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Good news, that area near the Getty filled with rich peoples homes is on fire again

Arnold Schwarzenegger and LeBron James were evacuated last night lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol my bougie outsourcing consultant friend that lives a lil north of santa monica is evacuating

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wet years just seem to create more vegetation to turn into dry tinder over the rainless summer

over the next decade there honestly might be a bit of a depopulation event in rural California with all the lost insurance and third world power

the rich people around la won't do poo poo except hire more private firefighters though I bet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

the rich people around la won't do poo poo except hire more private firefighters though I bet

They'll just pay a bunch of convicts $10/day to fight the fires.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

oystertoadfish posted:

wet years just seem to create more vegetation to turn into dry tinder over the rainless summer

over the next decade there honestly might be a bit of a depopulation event in rural California with all the lost insurance and third world power

the fires are never going away because those biomes have regularly burned forever, to the point that the plants there have evolved around it

people should never have been allowed to live there in the first place

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the fires are never going away because those biomes have regularly burned forever, to the point that the plants there have evolved around it

people should never have been allowed to live there in the first place

That article says

quote:

In its natural state, chaparral is characterized by infrequent fires, with intervals ranging between 30-50+ years

Which is uh, slightly less frequent than the current frequency.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
well yeah people live there now in those tinderboxes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

Pge only covers the central part of the state, socal will be fine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well yeah people live there now in those tinderboxes

those older biomes didn't have lovely powerlines and cigarette butts everywhere, mostly

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dammit my area skipped the yearly ice monsoon but have a decent chance to break records for low temps this month.

I'd prefer the ice monsoons honestly I stopped caring about my car getting dented to poo poo and the deluge of hail is honestly pretty calming.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Pge only covers the central part of the state, socal will be fine

SoCal is largely serviced by Southern California Edison and SDG&E, which are about as bad as PG&E.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Colored areas on this map are publicly-owner (municipal) utilities. Tan areas are privatized, mostly PG&E, SDG&E, and Southern California Edison. You want to be in one of the colored areas to have a shot at avoiding blackouts, death, etc.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Colored areas on this map are publicly-owner (municipal) utilities. Tan areas are privatized, mostly PG&E, SDG&E, and Southern California Edison. You want to be in one of the colored areas to have a shot at avoiding blackouts, death, etc.

Imperial Irrigation Disctrict and City of Needles sounds like something out of a D&D campaign

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

laughing my rear end off at the city of needles, some pissant village of 5000 managing to secure its own power better than multiple metropolitan areas with some of the biggest concentrations of wealth in the country

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

laughing my rear end off at the city of needles, some pissant village of 5000 managing to secure its own power better than multiple metropolitan areas with some of the biggest concentrations of wealth in the country

the last guy they sent there to privatize everything ended up coming back in a bag, cause of death: 20,000 needle stabs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

entire economy is built on hand made throwing needles, perfect for the modern assassin who still values tradition (poison not included)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Imperial Irrigation Disctrict and City of Needles sounds like something out of a D&D campaign

Final Fantasy, surely.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

the last guy they sent there to privatize everything ended up coming back in a bag, cause of death: 20,000 needle stabs

:hmmyes:

PG&E execs should receive one needle stab per person that lost power

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

entire economy is built on hand made throwing needles, perfect for the modern assassin who still values tradition (poison not included)

ya it's like those 80% ghost gun kits, you gotta sell the throwing needles and poison separately

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the Virgin Bay Area versus the Chad City of Needles

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Fly Molo posted:

:hmmyes:

PG&E execs should receive one needle stab per person that lost power

buddy now you’re just wasting needles when a single guillotine will get you to the same destination

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Southeastern California is a weird place. Hosts the highest and lowest points in the contiguous 48 states, less than 100 miles apart. Lots of barren frontierland, either left to boom and bust or entirely passed over as useless (except for that brief period when it hosted the Manzanar concentration camp).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The guillotine is good for high volume work, but for small orders the needles make a superior statement*

*this message paid for by the city of needles tourism board

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The needles would hurt more and take longer so they're the correct choice for the job.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bespoke, artisinal, hand-crafted small batch needles for all your expropriation needs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

thousand needles was a place in WoW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

thousand needles was a place in WoW

a thousand is like, an amateur rear end amount of needles, miss me with that poo poo