Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1182271606758035462?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'm elated, Tokarczuk is a great writer. If you guys like magic realism you should definitely check her out.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Awesome!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

macabresca posted:

I'm elated, Tokarczuk is a great writer. If you guys like magic realism you should definitely check her out.
i do like magic realism, and also the dark areas of polish history, so i will!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there not a general non-fiction book chat thread some place? If so, why not?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tab8715 posted:

Is there not a general non-fiction book chat thread some place? If so, why not?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415084

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

fauna posted:

i do like magic realism, and also the dark areas of polish history, so i will!

Funny thing is, Tokarczuk doesn't really write all that much about "dark Polish history". It's just that in this country when you suggest that the Polish weren't 100% saint 100% of the time, you are immediately labeled as traitor and public enemy by the right wing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macabresca posted:

Funny thing is, Tokarczuk doesn't really write all that much about "dark Polish history". It's just that in this country when you suggest that the Polish weren't 100% saint 100% of the time, you are immediately labeled as traitor and public enemy by the right wing

Mother Mary's favored martyr-nation.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Mmm, nice aliteration

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Goodreads is the best website because no where else could you get a one star review of dictionary of the khazars that starts with "I really wanted to like this book because its esoteric subject sounded awesome, but honestly I knew that I was in trouble when I read the words "eschewing conventional narrative and plot" on the back cover. I'm pretty fond of "conventional narrative and plot," actually. They've been working pretty well for storytelling for quite a while now, and they're good enough for me. ;)".

Supreme.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Goodreads is the best website because no where else could you get a one star review of dictionary of the khazars that starts with "I really wanted to like this book because its esoteric subject sounded awesome, but honestly I knew that I was in trouble when I read the words "eschewing conventional narrative and plot" on the back cover. I'm pretty fond of "conventional narrative and plot," actually. They've been working pretty well for storytelling for quite a while now, and they're good enough for me. ;)".

Supreme.

that's just a post from this forum!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Supreme.

I dunno, this seems reasonable tbh! That person knows what they like and they've accurately judged the work according to the specific criteria. Like, you read that review and whether you agree or disagree, it'll help you make up your mind on whether you want to read it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

I dunno, this seems reasonable tbh! That person knows what they like and they've accurately judged the work according to the specific criteria.

ahaha like clockwork

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

jesus christ

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

I dunno, this seems reasonable tbh! That person knows what they like and they've accurately judged the work according to the specific criteria. Like, you read that review and whether you agree or disagree, it'll help you make up your mind on whether you want to read it.

come on man

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i think all novels should be written in script format like fanfictions were back in the day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

i think all novels should be written in script format like fanfictions were back in the day

Fauninninnia.

(It's a bad book by the by. Probably the only book I've ever regretted paying for.)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fauna posted:

Raymond Queneau did this with the flight of icarus

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My am I pathologically unable to read that one author's name as anything except China Melville?

e: Maybe this is a question for the goon doctor though.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

My am I pathologically unable to read that one author's name as anything except China Melville?

e: Maybe this is a question for the goon doctor though.
it's a tumour. farewell

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

if we reboot this chat thread, i promise to post in it from the start so hopefully it ends up scoring better than 3/5 stars. the pain of losing botl has passed into mythology for me now, i am still grieving but he's receded to a distant messianic ache in my heart and i can bear to enter this forum again despite its unbearable stench of loss

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

ps: - you all disgust me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just BISed "China Melville" and it's a dude :eyepop:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just BISed "China Melville" and it's a dude :eyepop:
miéville you idiot. you troglodyte

i'd rather talk about melville. moby dick is renowned for its gay overtones but imo bartleby is the true uncelebrated classic of homoerotic literature

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i would prefer not to quit you, he said

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

miéville you idiot. you troglodyte

Yeah but I just searched for "china melville" because I wanted to see if Bing would correct it. It did. Very good search engine, one of the very best. They should advertise it as "Bing - the reading man's search engine"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but I just searched for "china melville" because I wanted to see if Bing would correct it. It did. Very good search engine, one of the very best. They should advertise it as "Bing - the reading man's search engine"
it's ok, i had to google it because i couldn't remember how to do the accent mark thing

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

fauna posted:

i'd rather talk about melville. moby dick is renowned for its gay overtones but imo bartleby is the true uncelebrated classic of homoerotic literature

If you want to talk about homosexual Melville, just head right to Billy Bud.

If you want to watch him get into some more interesting sexuality, head to Pierre for incestuous polyamory.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Picked up a fantasy novel and it was dedicated to Salman Rushdie and I don't know how to feel about that

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i like salman rushdie

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

he's desperate to prove he's extremely clever to a bigoted international audience, but tbh, who isn't

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

it's ok, i had to google it because i couldn't remember how to do the accent mark thing

I don't remember outright but I'm guessing it's with the key marked ´, lemme try: Miéville. Yeah that's it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Picked up a fantasy novel and it was dedicated to Salman Rushdie and I don't know how to feel about that

Is Salman Rushdie bad now? I've only read The Jaguar Smile and it was OK.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The book is O Greenest Branch! by Gael Baudino from 1995 so it was back around the Satanic Verses. Still can't believe he got goddamn assassins sent after him for writing a book.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

bartleby tells a timeless story that resonates with my experiences living in a capitalist society. you're just trying to run a business and make a living, your new admin assistant turns out to be insane, he imprints on you romantically and then when you reject him he starves himself to death

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sun rise, sun set

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

do I want to be terminally depressed? no

my brain: yeah but we gotta read this. we gotta

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/hannahjaneface/status/1188177318881222656

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

do I want to be terminally depressed? no

my brain: yeah but we gotta read this. we gotta

Hey, that's me reading another book about nuclear weapons doctrine!

I just finished The Wizards of Armageddon by Fred Kaplan while still reeling a bit from Ellsberg's The Doomsday Machine. I think it's time for me to sit down and read about literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In Lord of the Flies, what is the deeper meaning as to why do dead things (plane fuselage, pilot, Simon, Piggy) leave almost as soon as they have died? Either the wind takes them or the waves do. Does it have to do with memory?