Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm not so sure about this. I don't recall anything from this scene that indicated he actually believed the relationship was real and was being confronted with the fact that it wasn't. I read the "delusion" scenes as more of a deliberate retreat into a fantasy world when life got tough, but at this point in the film he was driven to reach out for an actual human connection because the fantasy wasn't enough anymore. When he entered the apartment he was certainly behaving in a way that indicated he knew that he'd never been in there before.

That said I could be misremembering the scene, I definitely need to see it again.

Agreed that I like this interpretation; there's no indication that he thinks his earlier murray show fantasy is a delusion; I also recall the rawness in the line "I had a bad day" in the apartment. He's really reaching out for the warmth of kindness and it's desperate; he doesn't think he's returned for round two with the waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think he disbelieves some fantasies consciously and continually, because he's aware that he has them and is on the lookout for the inconsistencies they have with other memories. So when he imagines being in the audience and being called out to hug Murray and be told he's a great son, it might feel plausibly real but he knows he never got invited and went to the studio. Likewise he might have really, really wanted to climb into his fridge and kill himself, but he knows he wasn't rescued or saved himself from it, it just didn't happen.

Then compare the standup night and the girlfriend, they were more subtle. People laughed at his jokes instead of dead silence, and he imagined a companion as he did daily routines. Not only did he really want to believe these simple positive experiences happened, they were much more plausible from his fractured pov/memory until they were directly contradicted by reality.

So when he sees his standup recording, he genuinely believes he did well until it shows him choking, and he genuinely thought his girlfriend would be there to comfort him in his time of need. The loss of everything he thought he had - clowning, standup, mother, girlfriend, and Wayne as a father and/or antagonist, meant all he had left was fantasising about climbing into his fridge to die. Then he decides to go for a theatrical suicide on TV but fucks that up too.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I forget, did the fridge scene happen before or after he fridged his mom?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I honestly thought "no one's laughing now" was a good joke.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It was but it's all about the context and delivery. He was making a statement rather than being ironic on purpose.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It’s an old standup joke

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Pulling a Budd Dwyer is obviously something you'd expect him to try on the show, but is there any explicit indication that it was his original plan, and only later switched to kill Murray? Murder suicide is also a likely choice. I just forget if we ever know who he is specifically planning to kill, only that he and/or Murray are probably going to die on that stage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Pulling a Budd Dwyer is obviously something you'd expect him to try on the show, but is there any explicit indication that it was his original plan, and only later switched to kill Murray?

Well he rehearses his appearance at length including his suicide so... yeah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He's too narcissistic to commit suicide. This is a joker who needs to see his audience's reaction, which is kinda why he stands around impotently and awkwardly after he kills Murray and the audience flees. He's looking for a reaction and doesn't get any from the cameras, so continues to shoot the dead body and flounders a bit before going into his dance routine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They wanted an actor where you don't want him to get shot

:agreed:

(also lol)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m not sure about that tbh. I was pumped for Joker to kill Murray.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was so sick of his scolding, I wanted to shoot him myself.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Putting Maron in that part means you lose out on the King of Comedy role reversal. Doesn't matter whether De Niro is or isn't suited for it, Phillips wanted that obvious homage.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I found the movie kind of gross and uneven. Phoenix and the cinematography were both quite good. I was worried Phoenix would be too much of a caricature based on early reviews but he doesn't play it cartoonishly.

The capturing of a stylized gritty New York was a good reason I felt gross, but the others were thematic.

I found the score hamhanded, mostly since I usually don't notice scores. But it wasn't a huge thing. It was mostly in combination with the movie's odd beats at the end which definitely seem like they're glorifying Joker (the cigarette coolness, steps scene, the clown lips of blood and dancing).

I felt like I was getting hit over the head and the ambiguity of his position was transformed into a deliberate coolness that you kind of have to have in a Joker Origins movie.

The class struggle aspects also felt confused. The rich were depicted as vile out of touch elites but the poor were also depicted as violent people latching dumbly on to a symbol they imagine represents their struggle.

Basically the only character of sympathy is Joker, just by his coolness at the end, and the politics of having an amoral socially isolated loner glamorized made me feel gross. There were some interesting themes, but the general misanthropy of everything just made me deeply unhappy.

It could have been what the movie was going for, but it just felt like it grabbed a handful of what it views as "deep" themes and couldn't quite figure out what to do with them and in the end made a standard glorification movie despite ample opportunity to go in more interesting or ambiguous directions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally saw this. It was alright. Phoenix's performance, the visual aesthetic, and that loving score are S-tier examples of moviemaking. That combination was enough for me to say it's not a bad movie at all, though I'll 100% agree with any criticism that says the movie feels a bit uneven narratively. I only really started to engage with the film when Fleck's clown buddies visit him at his apartment. Everything up until then felt very plain. Still, it's a refreshing entry in the genre. Hope to see WB take a chance on more movies like this one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have a dream in the back of my head, where Kamala Khan and Squirrel Girl must embark on a cross-county road-trip with a talking-car. Hopefully the Superhero genre will get so saturated to the point that there will be more mid-budget experimental pieces like Joker, though not the same tone. Now that Thanos is dead-dead the MCU can't fob audiences off with yet another cosmic-threat and expect proceedings to be fresh.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have a dream in the back of my head, where Kamala Khan and Squirrel Girl must embark on a cross-county road-trip with a talking-car. Hopefully the Superhero genre will get so saturated to the point that there will be more mid-budget experimental pieces like Joker, though not the same tone. Now that Thanos is dead-dead the MCU can't fob audiences off with yet another cosmic-threat and expect proceedings to be fresh.

I mean it just felt like Taxi Driver which I’m sure a hundred people itt already mentioned.

None of the gloss of even Suicide Squad just the ugly streets and subways of “Gotham”

Guy doing his best takes a beating from kids.

Downward spiral ensues.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I didn't love the movie or hate it, nor will I expend any cells to think about it. I just think there's a lot of potential in adapting all that odd-ball elseworld stuff. Maybe a horror-movie with the Scarecrow, or a cat-and-mouse thriller with Riddler and Hugo Strange. Anything that doesn't involve a big pillar of light in the climax.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Segue posted:

The class struggle aspects also felt confused. The rich were depicted as vile out of touch elites but the poor were also depicted as violent people latching dumbly on to a symbol they imagine represents their struggle.

God, I was having the hardest time conveying this the way you did and I totally agree.

I was actually rationalizing it by framing it in the same way as something I read from Zizek that I kind of agree with, where he says that violent outbursts oftentimes come about from a vague feeling of deadlock.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I didn't love the movie or hate it, nor will I expend any cells to think about it. I just think there's a lot of potential in adapting all that odd-ball elseworld stuff. Maybe a horror-movie with the Scarecrow, or a cat-and-mouse thriller with Riddler and Hugo Strange. Anything that doesn't involve a big pillar of light in the climax.

A live-action adaptation of Justice League: Gods and Monsters would be rad as gently caress.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Maybe a horror-movie with the Scarecrow,

Only if Cillian Murphy reprises the role, also he is allowed to use his Irish accent. :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whoops wrong thread

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

teagone posted:

Finally saw this. It was alright. Phoenix's performance, the visual aesthetic, and that loving score are S-tier examples of moviemaking. That combination was enough for me to say it's not a bad movie at all, though I'll 100% agree with any criticism that says the movie feels a bit uneven narratively. I only really started to engage with the film when Fleck's clown buddies visit him at his apartment. Everything up until then felt very plain. Still, it's a refreshing entry in the genre. Hope to see WB take a chance on more movies like this one.

Considering it's the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time, I'd say more DC Black Label movies are a pretty real possibility.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mira posted:

God, I was having the hardest time conveying this the way you did and I totally agree.

I was actually rationalizing it by framing it in the same way as something I read from Zizek that I kind of agree with, where he says that violent outbursts oftentimes come about from a vague feeling of deadlock.

What?! ALL outbursts come from deadlock. That's what breaks ''em.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1188204424663126018?s=20

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

Only if Cillian Murphy reprises the role, also he is allowed to use his Irish accent. :colbert:

I'd be happy with John Noble. He owned in Arkham Knight.

However, I'd also love a Penguin versus Riddler movie starring Robin Lord Taylor and Cory Michael Smith

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Interestingly, I took away from Murray that he's not actually that happy with tearing people down for comedy, it's something he's being made to do by the production teams. Notably he seems honestly sincere in his desire to provide a stage for Arthur at the end, until the murdering clown monster came up.

Admittedly, possibly not a correct reading.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bogus Adventure posted:

However, I'd also love a Penguin versus Riddler movie starring Robin Lord Taylor and Cory Michael Smith

Oh God, Taylor was a perfect Penguin. :allears: Cory was as amazing. I miss those two, to be honest.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

BTW anyone who says they wish the class stuff was more pronounced should really, really watch Parasite, and don't look up anything about the movie
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6751668/

Oh yeah remember when Batman Did The Patriot Act lol

Even 300 came out like, 3 years after the Iraq War and was "300 white guys beat up LOTS of middle easterners, who look like monsters", and then superhero movies for a bit were kinda like "What if fascism is good??"

9/11 really screwed up US politics huh

I don't know if I buy it for the first one. I mean the main point of that movie is that people deserve a chance at redemption and change instead of getting purged like the degenerates they are, that's a fundamentally non rightwing take.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bogus Adventure posted:

Supervillains have to team up not battle it out, did you learn nothing from the hit film Batman and robin

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh God, Taylor was a perfect Penguin. :allears: Cory was as amazing. I miss those two, to be honest.

:same:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Supervillains have to team up not battle it out, did you learn nothing from the hit film Batman and robin

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
That was an interesting film. I feel like all the buzz and competing opinions in The Discourse made it hard for me to get a read on the film. I generally liked the film more the less it involved Batman poo poo, and the more it tried to be an arthouse examination of the degeneration of the main character.

I guess it was saying that Joker was in large ways a product of his society, which feels like a different take than something like a Heath Ledger joker, who literally toyed with people's ideas that he had any kind of sensible origin. Although I still can't tell if the film was trying to make a deliberate statement or if it was putting together a bunch of different elements in a way designed to seem deep. My friend, who's libertarian, appreciated how it wasn't a movie where they were trying to force a narrative down her throat. I legit don't know if it was, if it wasn't, or if it wasn't but made to seem like it was.

It was kind of funny that in the movie people were appropriating the Joker to mean different things depending on their viewpoint, when that's literally what people have been doing in The Discourse.

I definitely do not buy this Joker as a charismatic Joker. Even by the end he's still this really whimpering mealy-voiced guy who's just more likely to shoot people and make out with old women. It feels notable that he comes to power just because other people literally pull him out of trouble and prop him on a pedestal.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If we’re doing R rated Batman stuff then sure let’s do another Arnie / Dr Freeze movie. Why not.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

well why not posted:

If we’re doing R rated Batman stuff then sure let’s do another Arnie / Dr Freeze movie. Why not.

Mr Freeze is the most overrated villain. He has the exact same story told over and over again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Necrothatcher posted:

Mr Freeze is the most overrated villain. He has the exact same story told over and over again.

It's not even a story, it's just a premise, it's better off not told tbh.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The worst part of grimdark Batman is it really limits what villains you can do. C’mon, make a serious Clock King movie I dare you.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

That's because he was a gag villain before Paul Dini wrote Heart of Ice.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arnie as bane would have been the greatest comic book casting of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Arnie Freeze owns.