Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

sexpig by night posted:

that is, literally, my point. Don't do this dumb poo poo until you're ready to move on to the public poo poo anyway and can go right from 'fine we had your dumb little vote' to 'so here's when the first public hearing will be', going from this right back to the ~ClOsED dOoR mEeTiNgS~ that just make the idiots keep whining does nothing.

Aren't the Democrats starting public hearings in November?

Right now seems like the best time to announce the vote, especially with the court ruling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Munkeymon posted:

Why are you getting so mad about other people using their privilege to try to help you?

probably because most of the time for that it's not actually about helping and it's about doing penance and asking for absolution from the groups they hurt

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

public opinion is fine, it's been doing nothing but trend to the impeachment's side.

right...but "fine" isn't "as good as possible." the more you push public opinion the harder a vote it becomes for senate republicans (and a handful of house republicans) and the greater the (slim, but non-zero) chance that senate republicans crack and remove trump becomes (or even just a very sizable amount but not quite enough, which would itself be very damaging to republicans).

democrats get one good shot at this, there's no reason to settle for fine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Haven't coordinated with Fox news yet.

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1188933007576616960?s=20

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Senate GOP just blinked.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Retro42 posted:

Senate GOP just blinked.

I bet Lindsey is pisssssed

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Retro42 posted:

Senate GOP just blinked.

Thanks Pelosi.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Retro42 posted:

Senate GOP just blinked.

Nah, I think they'll still vote on this trash and it'll still pass.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
A goon made a good point the other day: all these closed-door hearings make it harder for the witnesses to get their lies straight. While I do like a good public hearing, that's a big advantage for the Democrats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Retro42 posted:

Senate GOP just blinked.

nah they'll just shift from 'OH SO EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS VOTE WAS FAKE AND DIDN'T COUNT SO YOU CAN'T USE THEM' or some other stupid dogbrain idea

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

A goon made a good point the other day: all these closed-door hearings make it harder for the witnesses to get their lies straight. While I do like a good public hearing, that's a big advantage for the Democrats.

Yeah that's the flip side on that part, but I assume Pelosi is consulting with judiciary et al on what to make public and whether they'll still SCIF up certain depositions.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Not a whole lot harder; plus, since all the closed-door stuff can be made public, House committee members can check closed-door depositions against whatever witnesses say in public. We'll see who wants to take a bullet for Donald Trump.

sexpig by night posted:

nah they'll just shift from 'OH SO EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS VOTE WAS FAKE AND DIDN'T COUNT SO YOU CAN'T USE THEM' or some other stupid dogbrain idea

No one's expecting them not to move the goalposts; we're not naive. But with public opinion already in favor of impeachment, the maneuvers and court rulings will only bake in that 50%+ that impeachment keeps getting in polls.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Not a whole lot harder; plus, since all the closed-door stuff can be made public, House committee members can check closed-door depositions against whatever witnesses say in public. We'll see who wants to take a bullet for Donald Trump.

No one's expecting them not to move the goalposts; we're not naive.

I feel like they're teeing up to hit Gordon Sondland into the sun, if nothing else.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

sexpig by night posted:

probably because most of the time for that it's not actually about helping and it's about doing penance and asking for absolution from the groups they hurt

lol OK sure - I'm going to wait for the person I actually asked to answer the question I actually asked but "you're not helping for the right reasons" is gold

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Munkeymon posted:

lol OK sure - I'm going to wait for the person I actually asked to answer the question I actually asked but "you're not helping for the right reasons" is gold

it's...it's about how they don't ACTUALLY help, they just want to be seen and feel better...that's not helping minority communities...

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Would this House vote passing mean they can't hold any more closed-door depositions? Or does it make those depositions more "legitimate" going forward?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

issue was there was precisely 50 senate votes for the nonsense graham resolution before (and 4-6 of those needed heavy arm twisting) so they may not even be able to pass their dumb messaging resolution

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

They can make whatever argument they want. Until the polls start showing support for this inquiry decreasing it doesn't matter what they scream into the chud-o-sphere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hobo Clown posted:

Would this House vote passing mean they can't hold any more closed-door depositions? Or does it make those depositions more "legitimate" going forward?

it means literally nothing, at most it means if they follow the old rules framework for some reason then the republicans can ask for their own subpoenas to muddy the waters but of course they won't follow the old rules, the rules are new now and the minority party eats poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

no. it's just going to say "here's how we'll make this stuff public when committees feel they are done with the closed-door depositions"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hobo Clown posted:

No, the closed door depositions will continue. It basically is a vote b the majority to bring the existing depositions into the public, and holding public hearings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

it means literally nothing, at most it means if they follow the old rules framework for some reason then the republicans can ask for their own subpoenas to muddy the waters but of course they won't follow the old rules, the rules are new now and the minority party eats poo poo.

iirc under the old rules republicans could ask all they wanted, but they still needed a majority of the committee to approve (or at least not vote to disapprove, i forget the exact details)

the new rules just mean they're not even allowed to ask

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

iirc under the old rules republicans could ask all they wanted, but they still needed a majority of the committee to approve (or at least not vote to disapprove, i forget the exact details)

the new rules just mean they're not even allowed to ask

Yea pretty much, in '15 the republicans changed things so that you can't even ask the ranking members for a subpoena because they're spiteful freaks, it always required approval from the committee first

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

That goon was Adam Schiff in a press conference explaining the process of the inquiry.

I think posters ITT are arguing because there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. No one is arguing that public hearings are bad, or that it is not a good time for them. The argument against this is based on the idea that the purpose of this vote is to legitimize the inquiry, which is unnecessary because of the court ruling which already did that. The House DOES NOT need to vote to start an impeachment inquiry.

However, the point being missed here is that the purpose of this vote is to actually lay out the rules moving forward. They will explain how depositions will be held and by whom. They will explain how evidence will be handled, and how and when all of these things will be made available to the public (or not as necessary). In this case, the purpose of the vote is to actually codify these things into the house rules. There is no point in referring to how things were handled with Nixon or Clinton, because there should be no more confusion as to what can and will happen. THIS STEP IS ALSO UNNECESSARY, but it pre-emptively shuts down any process arguments moving forward, as even if the vote is on party lines, it is still a legitimate House vote and becomes a legal document moving forward.

As far as forcing republicans to vote on it, I can't think of a compelling reason why any R would vote for this, regardless of how they feel. It is going to pass no matter what they do, and voting against their party will just be inviting a shitstorm, with the only possible advantage being a rep in a purple district with a strong competitor who thinks this *might* help them more than being disowned by the party would hurt them. I'm not sure who that person is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

iirc in some? most? all?? committees the chairman can also unilaterally issue subpoenas unless the majority says he can't, but that obvs doesn't help the GOP unless they blackmail Schiff with photos of his bisexual polyamory or something

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

All I can think about is this when I see that tweet.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See, you can hand it to Nancy on this one thing. No way she holds a vote unless she is 100% sure about the result.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Does it though? There are republicans in these hearings and they're no doubt leaking everything they can to the concerned parties. The main thing is that besides Sonderland all these people have been State department employees with an axe to grind.

I mean do you not think Devin Nunes of all people isn't texting everyone he can the second he leaves the SCIF?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

How brave of you to take that stance when it's not your neck on the line. They get to start their redemption once they prove that they give a poo poo and start doing better. It doesn't start with us trying drag them out of the river kicking and screaming. I'm sick and tired of getting spat in my face for trying.

I didn't say you should try! I specifically said it didn't sound like you should!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

VH4Ever posted:

See, you can hand it to Nancy on this one thing. No way she holds a vote unless she is 100% sure about the result.

Nancy is by no means left-leaning and she doesn't take big risks but I think posters underestimate how well she plays the political game.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dubar posted:

I think posters ITT are arguing because there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. No one is arguing that public hearings are bad, or that it is not a good time for them. The argument against this is based on the idea that the purpose of this vote is to legitimize the inquiry, which is unnecessary because of the court ruling which already did that. The House DOES NOT need to vote to start an impeachment inquiry.

However, the point being missed here is that the purpose of this vote is to actually lay out the rules moving forward. They will explain how depositions will be held and by whom. They will explain how evidence will be handled, and how and when all of these things will be made available to the public (or not as necessary). In this case, the purpose of the vote is to actually codify these things into the house rules. There is no point in referring to how things were handled with Nixon or Clinton, because there should be no more confusion as to what can and will happen. THIS STEP IS ALSO UNNECESSARY, but it pre-emptively shuts down any process arguments moving forward, as even if the vote is on party lines, it is still a legitimate House vote and becomes a legal document moving forward.

i think some of the stuff about how HPSCI is allowed to share potentially-classified information with Judiciary might actually be necessary but i agree with the rest of this post

(you know, like what devin nunes illegally did when he had his aides leak classified information from HPSCI)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1188934885551099907
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1188935479598686208
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1188935669638451207

I-I-I'm not owned, YOU'RE OWNED

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ryde posted:

Nancy is by no means left-leaning and she doesn't take big risks but I think posters underestimate how well she plays the political game.

Right. She doesn't go out on limbs, better or worse. She just doesn't.

Willo567 posted:

I-I-I'm not owned, YOU'RE OWNED

Wow, LITERALLY that's what this is. Pathetic.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jbcrane69/status/1188935541389053952?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
making a dog a cop is one of the worst things you can do to a dog and I assume the same is true for troop dogs

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

They're 100% just waiting to see how to phrase/spin their condemnation, depending on the wording of the vote.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

VH4Ever posted:

Pathetic.

That describes Graham's entire life perfectly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ryde posted:

her biggest problem prior to Ukraineghazi imo is that 2016 broke her brain like it did half the forums, but instead of becoming a communist and/or a nihilist she became paralyzed with terror that she might make a mistake and cause a Trump reelection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Also my local infrastructure week is going well
https://twitter.com/PennLive/status/1188798813177290752?s=19