Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

No I mean the other way around, did they need to translate it into Welsh? Like does anyone at all in Wales go and look at a menu and go "me...nu???? oh, it's a bwydlen, gotcha thanks!"

I mean if you take this to its logical extreme then you'd never have Welsh on anything since basically every Welsh speaker understands at least some English

this would however be Extremely Unpopular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean if you take this to its logical extreme then you'd never have Welsh on anything since basically every Welsh speaker understands at least some English

this would however be Extremely Unpopular

I know, I was joking, there's also empty space they had to fill to balance the symmetry with that design anyway

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So on the day that the PM officially breaks his 'do or die', 'rather be dead in a ditch' promise, his bid for an election means there's absolutely nothing about it on BBC news. It's like it never happened.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

duckmaster posted:

I don’t think she’s in any huge debt, just a £500 overdraft which is maxed out. Her solution to this was to open a Monzo account and use that, just ignoring the other bank account entirely. And a car loan which she pays £300 a month for for a deal that my brother (a car salesman) told her not to touch with a bargepole.

I seriously doubt she’s been in touch with anyone about anything. She was renting privately and got her shower fixed herself despite me telling her over and over again that it’s the landlords responsibility. She insisted it wasn’t, I told her to check her rental agreement but apparently she “didn’t have one”.

Lovely girl but holy loving poo poo.

:negative:

I don't understand why it's so common for people in these sorts of situations to refuse help, I suppose if you spend long enough being in an extremely precarious situation then you accept it as normal and if it's normal then you just need to get on with things and it's not something that can just be "fixed" with a bit of careful planning.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guardian posted:

MPs will be asked to vote for the general election under the one-clause motion on Tuesday, the Press Association understands.

This is the

quote:

A one-clause motion to amend the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act (FTPA) to call for a general election with the specific date of 12 December will be laid tonight, an unnamed Downing Street source has told the Press Association.

I.e the one that just requires a majority in favour of an election.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

duckmaster posted:

Or do I just stop trying to help someone that doesn’t want to be helped?

The answer is always this. Any more than that is not good for your wellbeing or your friendship.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

alphabettitouretti posted:

In other news, there's a guy stuck upside down at the top of a 270ft chimney in Cumbria.

https://twitter.com/naim_asghar/status/1188748621791006720

He's dead now :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-50207301

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

duckmaster posted:

I don’t think she’s in any huge debt, just a £500 overdraft which is maxed out. Her solution to this was to open a Monzo account and use that, just ignoring the other bank account entirely. And a car loan which she pays £300 a month for for a deal that my brother (a car salesman) told her not to touch with a bargepole.

I seriously doubt she’s been in touch with anyone about anything. She was renting privately and got her shower fixed herself despite me telling her over and over again that it’s the landlords responsibility. She insisted it wasn’t, I told her to check her rental agreement but apparently she “didn’t have one”.

RabidWeasel posted:

:negative:

I don't understand why it's so common for people in these sorts of situations to refuse help, I suppose if you spend long enough being in an extremely precarious situation then you accept it as normal and if it's normal then you just need to get on with things and it's not something that can just be "fixed" with a bit of careful planning.

From the experience of people (not professional counsellors just peoples' friends or relatives) I know trying to help people in these kind of messes, it can be an extremely thankless task and generally wash their hands of it after a year or so of trying hard to help. One of the reasons is things that work/make sense for the helper just do not work for the helpee and the helper cannot understand why the helpee doesn't do the 'obvious'.

Am sure there's a boots analogy can be applied here somewhere! Comfy old boots rather than breaking in new ones perhaps?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1188906859912159233

So is the whole thing now arguing about the potential date of a GE? I'm a bit lost, honestly.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question to everyone, does anyone know a cheap place to rent a car for a few weeks?

I might be able to help you with that, hit me up on Discord (same username as here)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the rumour seems to be that the 12th dec bill (which no-one has seen yet) will contain some trap in it

hints of Cummings I guess

SNP has also announced it will not back a 12th dec bill

ronya fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 28, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ratjaculation posted:

Who wants what

Gee'uz a selsig mawr

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1188906859912159233

So is the whole thing now arguing about the potential date of a GE? I'm a bit lost, honestly.

It's Jo of Swindon being a numpty as Lib Dems always are :laugh: e; Actually looks like the tide has turned against this bill now? Well well, Labour was right after all :smug:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 28, 2019

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm positively shocked that on the eve of an election potentially being called the press and blue ticks are trying to cram every insuation that Labour are shaky and in disarray while they still can.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What is the logic behind Labor not supporting an election? I thought the general idea was if brexit was delayed then labor would do well in an election?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Obligate hibernators are animals that spontaneously, and annually, enter hibernation regardless of ambient temperature and access to food. Obligate hibernators include many species of ground squirrels, other rodents, mouse lemurs, European hedgehogs and other insectivores, monotremes, marsupials, and university students. These species undergo what has been traditionally called "hibernation": a physiological state wherein the body temperature drops to near ambient temperature, and heart and respiration rates slow drastically.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

teacup posted:

What is the logic behind Labor not supporting an election? I thought the general idea was if brexit was delayed then labor would do well in an election?

They still need to make sure that Boris isn't doing anything shifty with the WA, there's a clause in there that essentially super fast tracks it in to law as soon as it's voted in.

quote:

First: the bill switches off both the specific rules for approval of the withdrawal agreement in the EU Withdrawal Act (the so-called ‘meaningful vote’), and the general rules for approval of international treaties in the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act (CRAGA). The effect of this is that as soon as the bill is passed, the government can ratify the withdrawal agreement without holding a further vote.

https://eulawanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-withdrawal-agreement-implementation.html?m=1

AceClown fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 28, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Well that sounds sketchy as gently caress, but how could he pass the WA & how does calling an election affect that?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

duckmaster posted:

Actually, depending on exactly what was wrong with the shower she might not have been wrong about that one. S.11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is a lot more poo poo than people think. It specifically includes baths but not showers, so you have to be able to argue that whatever is wrong relates to an installation for the provision of water and not a fixture attached to such an installation. Sorry, professional pedantry there.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Exioce posted:

I agree that anyone working full time, irrespective of the status of the work, should be able to afford to purchase a property. That's a wages issue and also a supply issue. Housing construction hasn't kept up with a whole bunch of things, such as the increases in population and changes in social dynamics et al. Let's say with a wave of a magic wand we double the supply, we reduce both the price of purchasing and renting. We need to construct more, on top of other measures.

The same patterns repeat now. The solutions just as handwavey when it comes to financing it all, and how particular policies will play out in the real world. The end result is likely no different. And the Right carries on trucking. For all our efforts we had the War in Iraq, the War on Terror, the banking bailout, austerity, Brexit, Trump, everything. Money won. I'm no believer in Utopian visions anymore. Small changes, over time, carried by the Centre (Left). I'll vote Corbyn because from my perspective he's a good sort, if not perfect. But if he gets into power he's going to run into hard limits on what is actually achievable in the time that he has. And the ideological purists, being fickle creatures, will crucify him as a traitor to the revolution. I'm sure he knows that though, so kudos to him for persevering.

Do you ever stop to actually think about what you're arguing? You started your post by straight up admitting that neoliberal economics has failed when it comes to housing, and your only proposed solution is to wave a magic wand, literally because there is no acceptable solution to this problem under neoliberal economics. Then by the end of your post, you are claiming that people who want to change this broken system are the handwavey ideologues? What could be more ideological than to argue in favour of keeping a system that you yourself admit has failed?

Do you really expect people to believe that you have no vested interest in maintaining this system, when you have no other reason to argue in favour of keeping it?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Actually, depending on exactly what was wrong with the shower she might not have been wrong about that one. S.11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is a lot more poo poo than people think. It specifically includes baths but not showers, so you have to be able to argue that whatever is wrong relates to an installation for the provision of water and not a fixture attached to such an installation. Sorry, professional pedantry there.

Reverse-pedantry: this is in Scotland :)

Edit: although your pedantry is appreciated, there’s absolutely no chance she knew about this. I rent privately and the bulbs in my hallway blew, a google search revealed they were these mad £12 high tech LED bulb things. I objected to paying £36 to replace them (the fixture was a nest of three) and also suspected they’d blown because of the wiring as opposed to being faulty bulbs or whatever. I texted my landlord asking if I could put my own light fitting in and he never replied, presumably worried this would cost him money. I waited a week and just messaged saying as he hadn’t replied I’ve bought new bulbs and my rent will be £36 less this month to reflect that. Nothing was said.

The fitting is definitely faulty because I’ve had to replace those bulbs twice since, again getting him to pay for it. At his last annual inspection he glanced at the fitting and told me to just buy new bulbs every time it happens.

I’ve had one of those tall lamps in the hallway for the last two years, only hidden away when he comes round.

He’s paid for my replacement bulbs three times now.

I have never bought those bulbs.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 28, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Scikar posted:

Do you ever stop to actually think about what you're arguing? You started your post by straight up admitting that neoliberal economics has failed when it comes to housing, and your only proposed solution is to wave a magic wand, literally because there is no acceptable solution to this problem under neoliberal economics. Then by the end of your post, you are claiming that people who want to change this broken system are the handwavey ideologues? What could be more ideological than to argue in favour of keeping a system that you yourself admit has failed?

Do you really expect people to believe that you have no vested interest in maintaining this system, when you have no other reason to argue in favour of keeping it?

Sometimes people have an inherent bias towards the system they have lived under merely because they can see nothing else. To stand against what got us here is, to some, an act of foolishness because how can anything truly change, instead only continuity matters, even if that leads to nothing great and the slow death of hope.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Josef bugman posted:

Sometimes people have an inherent bias towards the system they have lived under merely because they can see nothing else. To stand against what got us here is, to some, an act of foolishness because how can anything truly change, instead only continuity matters, even if that leads to nothing great and the slow death of hope.

To at least some extent I can understand people might be afraid of change. What really gets me though is when they claim that such a position is somehow not ideological.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Scikar posted:

Are you forgetting to consider our planning laws, by any chance? The one criticism you can't throw at neoliberalism economics is that it doesn't produce stuff. If there are profits to be had it will gently caress like bunnies, and there's a whole lot of money to be made from building houses.

Okay, so you say this is not all handwavey and you've thought this through in a serious manner. Then tell me, what are the starting policies, what are their effects on the wider economy and society, how much they will cost, where the money is to come from, and the effect of getting funding from the source that you intend to? To have an answer to those things shows seriousness. Here, I'll start us off:

1. Jeremy Corbyn gets elected PM
2. He implements ________________
3. It has the effects of _______________ on Group A, ________________ on Group B, ________________ on Group C, ______________ on Group D, _______________ on Group E
4. It costs __________________
5. The money comes from __________________
6. The effect of sourcing funds from there is __________________

Exioce fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Exioce posted:

Are you forgetting to consider our planning laws, by any chance? The one criticism you can't throw at neoliberalism economics is that it doesn't produce stuff. If there are profits to be had it will gently caress like bunnies, and there's a whole lot of money to be made from building houses.

Okay, so you say this is not all handwavey and you've thought this through in a serious manner. Then tell me, what are the starting policies, what are their effects on the wider economy and society, how much they will cost, where the money is to come from, and the effect of getting funding from the source that you intend to? To have an answer to those things shows seriousness. Here, I'll start us off:

3. It has the effects of _______________ on Group A, ________________ on Group B, ________________ on Group C, ______________ on Group D, _______________ on Group E
4. It costs __________________
5. The money comes from __________________
6. The effect of sourcing funds from there is __________________

we take it out of your personal bank account and sell off your toothbrush

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

we take it out of your personal bank account and sell off your toothbrush

That's what I thought...

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

the rumour seems to be that the 12th dec bill (which no-one has seen yet) will contain some trap in it

hints of Cummings I guess

You'd think that Dominic Cummings was some volcano crater living, space laser owning evil genius from the reporting on him, but his only innovation has been the degree to which he's willing to toxify politics.
All the talk of OODA loops and other managerial magic builds a fear of his capabilities that has us all jumping at shadows and really obscures the total failure so far of his search for one weird trick that cancels parliament.

That and there's a moneyball thing going on here. He was very keen to preach about all his great ideas after the brexit referendum, which means their competitive advantage is now nullified.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Exioce posted:

3. It has the effects of _______________ on Group 1, ________________ on Group 2, ________________ on Group 3, ______________ on Group 4, _______________ on Group 5
3. It costs __________________
4. The money comes from __________________
5. The effect of sourcing funds from there is __________________

Oh sure, this from the guy whose own policy proposal consists of:

quote:

Let's say with a wave of a magic wand we double the supply, we reduce both the price of purchasing and renting.

And you want to say I'm the one who's not serious? Firstly, get hosed. Secondly, because I am actually serious:

2. He implements a housing policy, called Housing for the Many
3. It has the effects of providing homes for homeless people, lowering private rents, and ending the leeching of money from the economy by buy-to-let landlords
3. It saves money overall, because the marginal utility of the poorest having increased spending power is greater than giving Fergus Wilson another car
4. The money comes from the treasury, obviously
5. The effect of sourcing funds from there is economic growth, obviously

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Endjinneer posted:

All the talk of OODA loops
i don't think Cummings works with John Bercow

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Scikar posted:

Oh sure, this from the guy whose own policy proposal consists of:

And you want to say I'm the one who's not serious? Firstly, get hosed. Secondly, because I am actually serious:

2. He implements a housing policy, called Housing for the Many
3. It has the effects of providing homes for homeless people, lowering private rents, and ending the leeching of money from the economy by buy-to-let landlords
3. It saves money overall, because the marginal utility of the poorest having increased spending power is greater than giving Fergus Wilson another car
4. The money comes from the treasury, obviously
5. The effect of sourcing funds from there is economic growth, obviously

Pretty handwavey there, fella.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Exioce posted:

Pretty handwavey there, fella.

Oh so your own form isn't even good enough for you? Why am I not surprised?

There are at least 320,000 homeless people in the UK today. How do you propose we resolve this issue, without just handwaving them out of existence?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2. He implements Replacing Council Tax with a Progressive Property Tax, incentivized purchase of vacant and derelict residential land (that the council tax currently exempts), phasing out Stamp Duty Land Tax, Taxing Offshore Ownership, raising the rate of capital gains tax for second homes and investment properties so that it is at least in line with income tax rates, replacing Inheritance Tax with a Lifetime Gifts Tax, replacing business rates with a Land Value Tax, and restriction of lending for land or property speculation, then setting up Common Ground Trusts to take ownership of land in common to help people who want to buy a house buy a house that is for sale.
3. It has the effects of making them poo poo themselves about front garden tax on The Press, stabilizing property values until wages can catch up on The Market, empowerment to bargain collectively with mortgage providers on members of Common Ground Trusts, establishes the idea that unearned rents arising from the control of a scarce natural resource should be socialised on The Public, and doing something useful or jumping off their investment portfolio on Land Monopolists.
4. It costs a negative amount when all parts are implemented, allowing the remainder to be invested in social housing, this has already been costed.
5. The money comes from the ability of the State to guarantee debts in their own sovereign currency, that's where all money comes from, but the wealth comes from institutional property investors, landed aristocracy, and land monopolists and is transferred to groups of homeowners where the land itself is held in common.
6. The effect of sourcing funds from there is land monopolists hopefully do something more useful and more people have homes.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

jabby posted:

So on the day that the PM officially breaks his 'do or die', 'rather be dead in a ditch' promise, his bid for an election means there's absolutely nothing about it on BBC news. It's like it never happened.

tbf it was the top story on the 10 o clock, including the dead in a ditch quote

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Don't bother responding to Exioce, they are either trolling or completely unwilling to actually engage with discussion.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8uNlA4lyg

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/business/status/1188916574113140737?s=19

:rip:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The big question about housing is, if nobody gets to be a landlord and make money off renting privately (which would probably be a good thing), who gets to live in a smart detached house and who gets to live in Apt. 42 Suicide Towers? Do you have the government/ council become the monopoly landlord?

Secondary questions are things like who pays for maintenance, who takes care of it if a neighbour lets rats in or doesn’t maintain a party wall, who can decide they don’t like the layout of the front room or they want to drill holes into a wall to put a picture up, etc. The current system makes it clear where responsibility lies for each item, some by statue and some based on conventions that are then written into tenancy agreements.

Tertiary questions are things like does the government compensate construction workers whose employers go out of business because the private demand has gone down and/or government contracts have been awarded to another company?

None of these are reasons not to change the system, but I think that taken together, they make a pretty compelling case for changing it relatively slowly by progressively making it less and less attractive to own a rental property, eg by very heavy taxation that looks through to who derived the ultimate economic benefit.
A side benefit is that it would eat away at the rental income of the major landowners, probably limiting their political power too.

E: basically what Guavanaut said.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should be released into circulation to further underline this farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

We were never at war with Oceania.

Guavanaut posted:

They should be released into circulation to further underline this farce.

They should be put into circulation, then all the people who want Brexit for stupid reasons can have one, we'll make the passports blue, and quietly sweep the whole thing under the rug.