Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

wait the genocidal stuff has nothing to do with Hong Kong.

Unless you think that being involved in a genocide means they are wrong about everything but since the US supports Hong Kong pretty universally you are indirectly supporting genocide one way or the other

I don't think you can discount the genocide of a politically inconvenient minority and political activists when talking about the decision of another political entity and political activists to (not) accede to the demand of the same country...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frijolero posted:

The protesters were directly calling for US lawmakers to pass the HK Freedom Bill or whatever the gently caress it is. Very normal requests!

Yeah, it's pretty normal for protesters to seek foreign support. Most wouldn't choose purity over survival, unlike the pure warriors of C-SPAM, who would never compromise their integrity by an inch.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it's pretty normal for protesters to seek foreign support. Most wouldn't choose purity over survival, unlike the pure warriors of C-SPAM, who would never compromise their integrity by an inch.

so supporting genocide is cool and good as long as it directly benefits you.

this is the exact opposite if the argument you were making two posts ago

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
and dont even get me started on the duplicitous climate child

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

The pretty normal HK protesters vs the pure warriors of CSPAM

drat, one of those sounds righteous and cool and one sounds really stupid and lame.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

so supporting genocide is cool and good as long as it directly benefits you.

this is the exact opposite if the argument you were making two posts ago

Americans are doing a genocide in China?

The argument that the HK protests are illegitimate because some factions are pro-American / whatever is dumb as poo poo, any popular movement is going to have factions that are not aligned with your views, that's the nature of anything with mass support. Harping on that over the basic principle of supporting people standing up to an empire is not a very defensible stance.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Oct 28, 2019

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Is Hong Kong protestors bad the new hot take

America Bad

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

The argument that the HK protests are illegitimate because some factions are pro-American / whatever is dumb as poo poo, any popular movement is going to have factions that are not aligned with your views, that's the nature of anything with mass support. Harping on that over the basic principle of supporting people standing up to an empire is not a very defensible stance.

We got a live one folks

China is doing an imperialism in China

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

*sharts into cumstained computer chair* actually, the hong kong protesters are wrong,

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frijolero posted:

We got a live one folks

China is doing an imperialism in China

Looks at trail of tears

How can America... do imperialism in America

(I get it, you can't get off without seeing hunky daddy dictators smashing in some skulls)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Derails like this are the reason these sort of threads end up with have to post picture rule

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Looks at trail of tears

(I get it, you can't get off without seeing hunky daddy dictators smashing in some skulls)

what the gently caress are you even talking about lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

steinrokkan posted:

why does it matter where. Unless you making the argument that genocide is okay as long as it’s an arbitrary distance away

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's fun to look at videos of people fighting cops. it's cool. don't worry about it.

https://twitter.com/MExasperated/status/1188519944134287368

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

uber_stoat posted:

it's fun to look at videos of people fighting cops. it's cool. don't worry about it.

This whole thread is insane. The two dudes who wrote all of Game of Thrones had zero experience in anything, were shockingly incompetent, but were still given millions of dollars and complete free reign for the entire run of the show

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

This whole thread is insane. The two dudes who wrote all of Game of Thrones had zero experience in anything, were shockingly incompetent, but were still given millions of dollars and complete free reign for the entire run of the show

Kinda owns to be rich and white.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

:thermidor:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/MExasperated/status/1188525242525859840?s=20

COME ON!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol if the harry potter after dark show is what awakens class consciousness

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure what those two shows have in common other than their love of the British

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
and D n D were immediately handed a big bag of Disney Cash after they ran GoT into the ground. good and cool country, fine and normal system.

edit: it's kind of the same story as with Lena Dunham. once you start paying attention it's shocking how much of our execrable common culture is the work of a bunch of talentless trust fund failsons/faildaughters who got handed a big bag of cash because the network is run by daddy's golf buddy.

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Some might say "holding him accountable for his promises."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kingkroba/status/1188877373284012039?s=21

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188909031403900928

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dumbest country

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

President DogRates

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

steinrokkan posted:

Looks at trail of tears

I too remember when the Han people landed on earth and pushed out the indigenous people of china

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

How did we capture him if he blew himself up?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

it's pretty weird how dumb this is getting

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/cordeliers/status/1188445250634878976?s=20

talk about hypernormalization!

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Oct 28, 2019

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/bart_smith/status/1188914437169614848

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

*sharts into cumstained computer chair* actually, the hong kong protesters are wrong,

not every protest is a protest worth supporting

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It is in fact possible to simultaneously think the Hong Kong protestors are right for wanting to protect their rights in the face of an authoritarian regime that does not have their best interests in mind, while also thinking the Western Media is cynically trying to spin these events in order to increase support for Western Imperialism which does not have the Hong Konger's best interests in mind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

It is in fact possible to simultaneously think the Hong Kong protestors are right for wanting to protect their rights in the face of an authoritarian regime that does not have their best interests in mind, while also thinking the Western Media is cynically trying to spin these events in order to increase support for Western Imperialism which does not have the Hong Konger's best interests in mind.

Why should I care what the media want. The protests aren't about Western media, and if you can't bring yourself to sympathize with foreign political movements over the fear that you might end up apparently on the same side as some gently caress from the papers, you are a god drat worthless sack of poo poo, politically speaking. On the other hand, it's still better than not sympathizing with them because they are embarrassing the Glorious Workers' State of Ultra-Capitalism.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

not every protest is a protest worth supporting

*Shits into a farted through chair* As a leftist I think some people deserve to die in the ditch because their protests don't match up with my aesthetics or whatever

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Oct 29, 2019

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
uh huh

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it couldn't possibly be that the HK protests are being stoked and amplified because right now the western worlds actual power holders are collar tugging over all the riots in the resource extraction states.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1188947407989628929?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Venom Snake posted:

it couldn't possibly be that the HK protests are being stoked and amplified because right now the western worlds actual power holders are collar tugging over all the riots in the resource extraction states.

Yeah, as foreigners the HK people are too dumb and weak to have any sort of political drive of their own, it must be the CIA or somebody else funding / amplifying them.

And so what if the media amplify them relative to other protests. Complain about the other protest being under-reported, not about the HK one being overreported, bitch. It's not the job of the HK protesters to correct the Western biases. But it seems that the excuse of "but the protests are given too much attention" is an useful deflection for a bunch of bootlicking assholes who are really sad that some filthy plebs have the gall to stand in the way of China's enlightened rule.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Oct 29, 2019