Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Tomohiro Ishii
Hana Kimura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Sorry Hana, tough draw :(

I didn’t even watch NJPW when Shibata was active, but just from his return appearances, the LA dojo documentaries and watching some old matches he’s become one of my favorite wrestlers.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 28, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Sorry Hana, tough draw :(
That's the nature of these tournaments, unfortunately.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Adam Cole
Katsuyori Shibata

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Almost missed it!

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

I love Shibata but I'm not voting for someone 2+ years on the shelf.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

Gumball Gumption posted:

I love Shibata but I'm not voting for someone 2+ years on the shelf.

This. I cannot, in good conscious, vote for someone to be the best wrestler of the past 2 years when he hasn't wrestled in 2 years.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Takuan posted:

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

This. I cannot, in good conscious, vote for someone to be the best wrestler of the past 2 years when he hasn't wrestled in 2 years.

he did some moves and got some pops that is wrestling imo also i have never seen kimura but i like her hammerlock variant

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era

No one asked, but of the 4, Cole is at the bottom of my TUE personal rankings.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tomohiro Ishii - TOUGH AND HARD
Pete Dunne - the most one sided of contests
The Undisputed Era - Cole is like my 3rd favourite guy in the stable
Hana Kimura - I loved Shibata's G1 final angle but he is currently not an active wrestler

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Tomohiro Ishii
Shane McMahon
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
please stop voting for Pete Dunne

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, after thinking about it, I can't in good conscience vote for someone who hasn't been active since the last tournament. I've changed my vote accordingly.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The tournament is supposed to be a follow up from the two years since the last threat and include however long a wrestler was active after that voting period of the last one, which is why Hiromu is also in this tournament. It's fair for Shibata being in the tournament since he was active in most of the year the last thread didn't cover, but you are weighing his half an active year against Hana's full time from 2017 to now. It makes as much sense as someone voting for Necro Butcher in J-ru's thread even though he had one match out of retirement and that was a battle royal.

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era all there are better than Cole
Hana Kimura

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 29, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i was the one who voted for necro and i’d do it again. choose death.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pete Dunne is a WWE employee selling England by the pound to Vince McMahon, instead vote for

uhhhhh poo poo

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Adam Cole (gently caress YOU RODDY)
Hana Kimura

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ishii
Kimura

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Shane McMahon
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Adam Cole
Hana Kimura

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Tomohiro Ishii
Shane McMahon
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Adam Cole
Hana Kimura

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Ishii/Kzy: Have to go with my boy Kzy, even though the Stone Pupper is one of my favourites as well. One one the toughest calls on this round.

McMahon/Dunne: gently caress. Both of these suck. Neither of these deserve a vote, any vote.

UE/Cole: Cole is the third best member of UE, ergo, he loses to Roddy and KOR, deal with it :colbert:

Shibata/Kimura: Shibata, his last stand against Okada is burned in to my memory forever.

Kzy
-
Undisputed Era
Katsuyori Shibata

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Shibata told me that if enough people vote for him he'd kick KENTA's rear end on January 4th

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If it comes to Shibata/Seth in the finals or a matchup in general or whatever I abstain. Guy Who Doesn't Wrestle vs Cop is a lose/lose

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Adam Cole
Katsuyori Shibata

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Tomohiro Ishii
Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
Hana Kimura

Never seen a Kimura match but unless Shibata has a match tomorrow I won't vote for him

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
You can’t vote for him if he has a match tomorrow, the voting will be closed!

Speaking of, there’s a couple of hours left on this ballot. I will then post a double ballot, because I’m traveling to AEW Dynamite and back over the next couple of days.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chris James 2 posted:

If it comes to Shibata/Seth in the finals or a matchup in general or whatever I abstain. Guy Who Doesn't Wrestle vs Cop is a lose/lose

lol if you think Seth is getting that far

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Benne posted:

lol if you think Seth is getting that far

I wouldn’t be that surprised if he’s one and done

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i love voting

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Tomohiro Ishii 35
Kzy 3

Pete Dunne 26
Shane McMahon 6

Undisputed Era 28
Adam Cole 6

Katsuyori Shibata 20
Hana Kimura 18

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Special formatting request: Please only list the name of the person you are voting for from each match-up. This will be easier for me to count than bolding names from match-ups. I can work around this if necessary, but if you can vote by just listing the name of your choice, that would be great.

You can abstain from votes. You are not required to list that vote as ‘abstain,’ you just need to skip it.

Nick FUCKIN Gage
Finished 18th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Kenny Omega

Still the craziest motherfucker on the planet.

Go Shiozaki
Did not appear in 2017 WH-128

Shiozaki has been the face of NOAH for almost all of his career. He’s currently on his seventh run with the GHC Tag Team Championship alongside partner Katzuhiko Nakajima. Most of Shiozaki’s highlights this year have come in singles action, though, with great matches against Takashi Sugiura, Masa Kitamiya, and Naomichi Marufuji.

Hiromu Takahashi
Eliminated in quarter-finals of 2017 WH-128 by Kazuchika Okada

Hiromu was well on his way to establishing himself as one of the best junior heavyweights when he broke his neck in a match with Dragon Lee at last year’s G1 Special in San Francisco. It has been rumored that his return should be announced soon. If you’re unfamiliar with his work, he had great matches with Will Ospreay, Taiji Ishimori, and El Desperado last year, as well as with Dragon Lee.

Kagetsu

Kagetsu may have been overshadowed by Wonder of Stardom Champion Momo Watanabe during her run with Stardom's top championship, the World of Stardom, but she still proved that she belonged at the top of the company with some great defences. The Prime Minister of Oedo Tai has reformed the faction in her image and they remain one of the more popular acts in the company despite the rise of rival faction Tokyo Cyber Squad led by former ally, Hana Kimura. Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

PAC
Finished 17th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Zack Sabre Jr.
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2015 by Chris Hero
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2013 by Shinsuke Nakamura
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2011 by Daisuke Sekimoto

Another underutilized talent in WWE, PAC left in 2018 and returned to Dragon Gate. He reestablished himself as a top player there and won their Open the Dream Gate Championship two months after his return. He’s also toured the world, putting on great matches. He has joined AEW and already had a great match with Kenny Omega. With another win against Adam Page, he’s poised for a title shot in the near future.

Kylie Rae

Kylie Rae shined on the indies this year, with great matches against Tessa Blanchard in Zelo Pro and with Orange Cassidy in Beyond Wrestling. She also appeared on AEW’s Double or Nothing, where she looked good in a four-way match. But she then left the promotion and went on a quiet hiatus, only breaking it for a couple of matches close to Chicago. Hopefully she’s able to resolve what she’s going through so she does better going forward.

Kento Miyahara
Eliminated in Round 4 of 2017 WH-128 by Minoru Suzuki

Arguably the best male wrestler in Japan outside of New Japan, Miyahara has revitalized AJPW. He’s charismatic and an extremely smooth worker who has great matches without pulling out crazy moves. He already has sixteen singles matches on Cagematch’s list of recommended matches, and Dave Meltzer has given him four ****3/4 matches this year against KAI, Yuji Okabayashi, Jake Lee, & Naoya Nomura.

ASUKA (Japanese indies)

ASUKA is a transgender wrestler who’s a freelancer in Japan. Just 20, she’sworking all over the country, with appearances in DDT, SEAdLINNING, ZERO1, and more. Her highlights this year have come against Nanae Takahashi, Yuji Hino, Akito, and Kohei Sato.

Pentagon Jr.
Finished 10th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by Kota Ibushi
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2015 by Kota Ibushi

Pentagon Jr. is one of the most charismatic workers in the world. He shines in solo and tag matches, the latter with his brother Fenix, and has basically gone on a world tour while still showing up on occasion in his home company of AAA. His Cero Miedo catchphrase might be the most over in wrestling.

David Starr

Starr has been one of the top names on the indies this year, combining his great mic skills with really solid in-ring abilities. He had a great 60 minute iron match with Joey Janela at BEYOND’s Americana, another great one against WALTER in OTT and in wXw, and a four star match against Jonathan Gresham in PWG.

Kevin Owens
Lost in ultra-finals of 2017 WH-128 to Daniel Bryan

Kevin Owens has had an interesting couple of years. He’s in the middle of a feud with Shane McMahon, which is giving him promo time. That’s good. It’s also having him wrestle Shane McMahon and use a lawyer to get his job back. That’s less good. Still, in the past year, he’s had good matches with Seth Rollins, Kofi Kingston, and a triangle match with Daniel Bryan & Mustafa Ali. He’s still one of the best on the mic.

Chad Gable

Gable is getting one of those weird Vince pushes where it focuses on the one thing that is a negative, as much as being short is a negative in 2019, and ignores all of the positives with someone. So let’s focus on what makes Gable good – he’s a really, really talented in-ring worker who’s also shown an ability to cut great promos if given the chance and not hamstrung with being called Shorty G. His tag team with Bobby Roode, while thrown together, was quite good, having a 4+ star match with The Revival. His move to 205 Live had him have a great series of matches with Jack Gallagher. Once he moved to Smackdown, his run in the King of the Ring tournament saw him have good performances with Andrade and even Baron Corbin.

Maki Ito
Finished 25th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread

In a weird industry, Ito’s story stands out for how bizarre it is. A former J-Pop idol, she’s shifted to being a wrestler and has become one of the top names in Tokyo Joshi Pro. She also enjoys learning curses in English and tweeting about them. All in all, she’s the most complete wrestler in this bracket.

PCO

PCO’s had an unexpected career resurgence since the last WH-128. Taking bumps that would hurt for anyone, let alone a 51 year old man. He’s joined the Villain Enterprises stable and has been in great tag matches. He and Brody King’s street fight tag against the Briscoes was great.

Rush
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Minoru Suzuki
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2015 by John Cena

Rush was always the most charismatic regular with CMLL. And then a dispute between the company, Rush, and his brother Dragon Lee broke up that relationship. Rush is a very talented wrestler, with tons of charisma and a very capable in-ring worker. He just won the RoH World Championship from Matt Taven in a very good match. If he can be marketed properly by RoH, he should revitalize that company.

CIMA

The Dragon Gate legend has had interesting past two years. He, along with El Lindman and T-Hawk, left DG to join Oriental Wrestling Entertainment in China. CIMA is now their head trainer. On the side, he’s appearing in AEW, where he had a great trios match with Lindman & T-Hawk against SCU, and then another great single match with Christopher Daniels. He’s also appearing in DDT and Fight Club: Pro.

Cesaro
Finished 26th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 4 of 2017 WH-128 by Ricochet
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2015 by Kazuchika Okada
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2013 by Daniel Bryan
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2011 by Daniel Bryan
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2009 by Jack Swagger
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2007 by Edge

For most of the past two years, Cesaro has been a tag team regular. His team with Sheamus, The Bar, was successful, winning five tag team titles and taking part in some great matches with the New Day, Rollins & Ambrose, & The Usos. They even got a ***1/4 star out of The Miz and Shane McMahon, which is pretty impressive. He’s recently gone solo, having a couple of really good matches with Aleister Black & Ilja Dragunov.

LAX, Ortiz & Santana

LAX has been establishing themselves as one of the top U.S. tag teams over the past two years. They spent most of that time with Impact Wrestling as their home promotion, where they won their tag team championship four times. They also had entertaining feuds with Hernandez & Homicide and then the Lucha Bros. They also expanded their presence on the indies, making acclaimed appearances in PWG and PROGRESS. They’ve now signed with AEW and made their debut on All Out with a run in on both the Young Bucks and the Lucha Bros.

Kofi Kingston
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by KUSHIDA
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2015 by Dalton Castle
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2013 by Ultramantis Black
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2011 by John Cena
Eliminated in Quarter-Finals in 2009 by The Undertaker

Kofi finally was given an opportunity with a six-month long WWE Championship reign. During that time, he had a stellar match with Daniel Bryan and good matches with Kevin Owens, Dolph Ziggler, and Bryan again. Even though it ended with a controversial squash against Brock Lesnar, Kofi’s career has hit a new high this calendar year.

Roppongi 3k, SHO & YOH

Sho & Yoh are already a great tag team, having won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship three times just six years into their career. They both had great runs in Best of the Super Junior tournament as individuals, and they’ve had really good matches against BUSHI & Shingo Takagi and Aussie Open.

Will Ospreay
Finished 9th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by Kento Miyahara

Ospreay was always a very exciting worker, but he’s hit another level in 2019. No longer just a high flyer, he’s combined his extreme athletic talents with a smarter approach in the ring and has made himself one of the fan favorites in New Japan. Still working his way up the card, Ospreay continues to amaze in every match.

Andrade
Eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Cesaro

Andrade is one of the best in-ring workers on the WWE main roster. His matches are often great when given the chance to be; both of his January matches with Rey Mysterio were great, and he’s more recently had very good bouts with Chad Gable and Rey (again). It’s seemingly always said that WWE wants to have a Mexican superstar, so maybe one day they’ll get fully behind Andrade.

The New Day, Big E & Xavier Woods
Big E: eliminated in Round 2 by Matt Riddle
Xavier: eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Akira Tozawa

Before Kofi’s World title run, the New Day regularly shifted their tag matches between the three of them, but naturally WWE has been focusing on Big E & Xavier as a duo while Kofi’s been on top. I think they’ve had four tag title runs since the last WH-128. They’re still extremely fun and charismatic, though they haven’t had as many highlight matches in their current iteration. Their best of the year is probably their triangle tag with Heavy Machinery and Bryan & Rowan.

Yuka Sakazaki

One of the three surviving members of TJPW's first class, Yuka's infectious personality and in ring ability have made her a crowd favourite for years. It took only one match to endear her to the hearts of an all new audience at AEW's Double or Nothing PPV and with an upcoming Princess of Princess title shot at the legendary Sumo Hall against former partner, Shoko Nakajima, it's only a matter of time before the whole world is hearing AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

Kota Ibushi
Finished 5th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in semi-finals of 2017 WH-128 by Kenny Omega
Eliminated in Round 4 in 2015 by Ricochet
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2013 by Kazushi Sakuraba
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2011 by The Great Muta

Ibushi finally committed to New Japan wrestling full time, which has been heavily reflected in how the company is handling him. He’s no long getting trotted out for fairly meaningless matches and showing up as Tiger Mask W. He’s now the G1 Climax winner and will challenge for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship at Tokyo Dome. Amazingly athletic, Ibushi almost always has a great match.

EVIL

Everything is EVILLLLLLLLLLL. His finishing move is EVILLLLLLLL. His tag team with Sanada is EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLL. His great run in the G1 Climax is EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLL. His fantastic matches this year with Ibushi, Okada, Ospreay, & Ishii have been EVILLLLLLLLLLL.

To repeat: everything is EVILLLLLLLLLLLL.

Alexa Bliss
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by KUSHIDA

Bliss’ star has continued to rise in WWE. She is already a five time women’s champion between Smackdown & Raw, and is in the middle of a featured storyline with Nikki Cross. She’s very charismatic and does a good job with her interview segments.

Jake Atlas

Atlas is one of the top rising stars on the U.S. indie scene. Just three years into his career, he’s had show stealing matches in GCW & PWG. At BOLA weekend, his matches with Jungle Boy and Dragon Lee were both given four and a half stars by Meltzer. He also has a very good feel for showing charisma in his matches. He’s apparently debating if he should sign with AEW or WWE; regardless of where he goes, he should be a star for that company.

WALTER
Finished 30th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread

The massive German continued building his name over the last two years, with his appearances in wXw, Rev Pro, and eventually PWG highlighting his hard-hitting style. Signing with WWE, he’s gone on to be a central part of the NXT UK circuit and won their top title. His intimidating presence helps him as the leader of the Imperium stable.

Mayu Iwatani

The sole remaining member of Stardom's Threedom has had the past few years of her career cursed by unfortunate injuries and is in danger of being left behind by the next generation of Stardom talent, but she is still one of the best around when she gets the opportunity to show off her skills. This year, Mayu achieved what was once and unthinkable goal in wrestling at Madison Square Garden, walking in as ROH Women's Champion. If she can remain healthy, she'll surely continue to remain a central pillar of Stardom for years to come. Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

AJ Styles
Eliminated in quarter-finals of 2017 WH-128 by Kota Ibushi
Eliminated in the Finals in 2015 by Kevin Owens
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2013 by Karl Anderson
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2011 by El Generico
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2009 by Beth Phoenix
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2007 by Chris Benoit

Against all odds, AJ Styles remains at the top of the card in WWE, a position that would have seemed impossible five years ago. Smackdown was built around him for about a year, and he had big feuds with Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton as a babyface. After teasing it for seemingly years, Styles was turned heel and reunited with Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows as the Club.

Tessa Blanchard

Blanchard has long been one of the top U.S. women wrestlers outside of WWE. She’s primarily been working in Impact and AAA this year. She had a very good match with Gail Kim this year, and a nice feud against Sami Callihan.

Your ballot:

Nick Gage vs. Go Shiozaki
Hiromu Takahashi vs. Kagetsu
PAC vs. Kylie Rae
Kento Miyahara vs. Asuka
Pentagon Jr. vs. David Starr
Kevin Owens vs. Chad Gable
Maki Itoh vs. PCO
Rush vs. CIMA
Cesaro vs. LAX
Kofi Kingston vs. Roppongi 3k
Will Ospreay vs. Andrade
The New Day vs. Yuka Sakazaki
Kota Ibushi vs. EVIL
Alexa Bliss vs. Jake Atlas
WALTER vs. Mayu Iwatani
AJ Styles vs. Tessa Blanchard

Voting closes at 7 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, or whenever I get in front of a computer after that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Go Shiozaki
Kagetsu
PAC
Kento Miyahara
Pentagon Jr.
Chad Gable
Maki Itoh
Rush
LAX
Roppongi 3k