Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I'm taking a large format class this term at school and I'm very excited to start shooting/hopefully posting - how good are light meter phone apps?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

real nap poo poo posted:

I'm taking a large format class this term at school and I'm very excited to start shooting/hopefully posting - how good are light meter phone apps?

They get the job done (unless you're shooting Provia slide film or something) but you'll be able to borrow real meters from school probably.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I was using a phone app, but I wasn't really confident how well it was working for landscapes, ended up getting a one degree digital soligor on ebay for pretty cheap and I really like it. App seems fine for most other things.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 3, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah the phone light meter apps will be ok if you're shooting negatives but if you're shooting slide, you'll probably want a proper lightmeter, or spotmeter even.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Alrighty, I will be shooting negatives and I'm not sure if my school has light meters to check out. Sounds like an app it is.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

You can also use a DSLR with live view or mirrorless camera with the equivalent focal length lens and aperture if you want to preview how the scene will look at different exposure levels, but that's absolutely cheating if you're doing it for a course.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
For anyone who shoots E6 6x7, someone has one of the very excellent Mamiya Cabin projectors up on eBay. Right now it's under a hundred dollars with ~8 hours left, and there are a few in the $350-500 range if you miss out and have some money burning a hole in your pocket. Medium/large slides deserve to be projected; they're heartbreakingly beautiful when you get to see them as intended.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some 4x5 film comparisons, colour negative and slides.

Velvia 50 on the left, Ektar 100 on the right.

Provia 100 on the left, Ektar 100 on the right.

Ektar definitely has very strong yellows and greens, for the flowers I definitely prefer the velvia but for the landscape I'm leaning more towards Ektar but that might be more due to the change in lighting between the two shots.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Japanese films tend to run more blue/green/purple while Western films tend to be more red/brown/orange IMO.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's not like you're stuck with the green, though. it's print film, change it up!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
5½ x 14 inch black glass ambrotype

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Jesus this owns soooo much

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First time testing Velvia100.

]

Since exposure was always going to be compromise, I'm actually fairly satisfied.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 19, 2019

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

My first large format images, made for school. I'm not head over heels for them but at least they came out!

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 24, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I quite like the colours in this one.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I quite like the colours in this one.

Thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I hope I am allowed to day dream ...

... has anybody ever done a critical comparison of the Phase One XF IQ4 100MP Trichromatic vs. the regular XF IQ4 150MP?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

I hope I am allowed to day dream ...

... has anybody ever done a critical comparison of the Phase One XF IQ4 100MP Trichromatic vs. the regular XF IQ4 150MP?

You might be able to find some info on that on the gear sperg forums like GetDPI or Luminous Landscape.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

You might be able to find some info on that on the gear sperg forums like GetDPI or Luminous Landscape.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
my silver tank sploded yesterday and i lost a whole shitload of very expensive silver nitrate. so im stuck doing 8x10s again for a while

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Here's a streak shot I took of the most recent Rocket Lab flight out of Mahia, New Zealand.

Launch video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI_Ng4SGyUY&t=896s

30 second exposure on 4x5 with Provia 100, had to stack a 6-stop ND filter and polarisier and shoot at f64 to get the shutter speed down to that as the flight was in bright early afternoon sun. Probably the oldest way to get an image of one of the most modern rockets currently flying.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

preliminary scans for school~
i think the tripod got bumped on the first one :(

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 4, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

real nap poo poo posted:

preliminary scans for school~
i think the tripod got bumped on the first one :(

I'm gonna say that you should pay more attention to what's going on at the edges of your frame. All of those have elements that are cut off by the frame edge that could have been avoided by a very minor range or angle adjustment.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm gonna say that you should pay more attention to what's going on at the edges of your frame. All of those have elements that are cut off by the frame edge that could have been avoided by a very minor range or angle adjustment.

Fair enough. I generally don't mind having cut-off things being part of a composition if there's enough of it there to know or get a sense for what it is. The one that bothers me though is the tiny sliver of car in the right of the first one - I may end up cropping it for the print.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I don't think having stuff cut off by the frame is a problem. It has been, in fact, a technique at least several hundreds of years old to imply a world existing outside the confines of the frame. The Japanese ukiyoe are kind of famous for it. (And slanted "camera" angles to create dynamism.) I think there's no problem as long as the cut off elements don't interfere or are cut off in a way that detracts from the overall image.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having stuff intentionally cut off as part of a aesthetic is fine and good, not checking your corners and shifting the camera mere a couple of degrees, or taking a single step forward or backward is bad.

Comparing a stylistic choice to poor planning is also bad.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

there's only really one of those photos where the cutting feels sloppy, the car on the left of the final image

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is a big dark hole...I'm now looking at getting a medium format camera, for faster/indoor photography. Who needs money anyway...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is a big dark hole...I'm now looking at getting a medium format camera, for faster/indoor photography. Who needs money anyway...

I have MF and a modern DSLR and nothing about the MF camera makes it faster, even shutter speed wise since you can't pump ISO and fast glass isn't as big a thing for MF. Get a MF camera because it's fun but it's a slower process.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I have MF and a modern DSLR and nothing about the MF camera makes it faster, even shutter speed wise since you can't pump ISO and fast glass isn't as big a thing for MF. Get a MF camera because it's fun but it's a slower process.

Well, erhh, faster than my 4x5. I have no real interest to go back to digital. I really enjoy the process of film. ..but with the 4x5, I cant just take it with me for walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I really enjoy the process of film. ..but with the 4x5, I cant just take it with me for walk.

Why not? That's what I do.