Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Really, if you want a simplified nugget of the good/bad of the Hong Kong protests badempanada did a video on it.

https://youtu.be/ReTrc_C2Xnc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Is there such a thing as a bad empanada? I'm not sure.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lambert posted:

Is there such a thing as a bad empanada? I'm not sure.

I assume he's part German and it's an empanada you eat in the bath.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Modest Mao posted:

tbh most people in this thread seem to speak the language and know the history while gbs is more the 3 months in shenzhen english teacher World's Top China Expert can't pronounce the street they live on type

Really I would flip that

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's obvious Fojar has the most expertise when it comes to China and what does and doesn't constitute a US war crime (the US didn't commit any war crimes).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
3 month expat tour is a lot better than Canadian/Australian goons who overheard their mainland friend's anecdotal stories.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

BrokenGameboy posted:

Really, if you want a simplified nugget of the good/bad of the Hong Kong protests badempanada did a video on it.

He's not totally wrong, but the idea that HKers should be smashing the state and taking territory to make their protest more meaningful is kinda stupid, the movement would've been immediately shut down with more draconian laws if that were to happen, and the movement wouldn't have lasted as long for the Blizzard/NBA poo poo to happen at all. Weekend/Instagram protest is a thing for some and and not representative of everyone. The entire second half of the video was just about online and mainstream media reaction to the protests rather than about the protest movement itself

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, and most notably, Apple.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

tbh most people in this thread seem to speak the language and know the history

why do people keep assuming this

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloodnose posted:

"chinar" is definitely a lol foreign accent thing and racist
taking "Chineseness" away from the diaspora is also hosed up and bad

Many sides

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrokenGameboy posted:

My criticism is: he goes too far attributing colonialism on its own but that colonial attitudes come to play when there are geopolitical goals at stake. It isn't just that Hong Kong was colonized and is more Western, but that the PRC has gone off the Beltway script and needs to be brought back in line and Hong Kong is a convenient tool to do so.

(It is also why the US media has treated protests in Latin America were much only on their geopolitical/ideology compatibility with the goals of the US.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

i don't know anything about china, i just know taiwan. (c-spam get mad at me) Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
So what do we actually know for certain about what's happening in Xinjiang? I don't really care what you call it, but what legitimate primary sources do we have regarding the situation? Sorry for bringing this up again, I'm just annoyed that the only things people pass around are secondary sources like news articles.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

BrokenGameboy posted:

So what do we actually know for certain about what's happening in Xinjiang? I don't really care what you call it, but what legitimate primary sources do we have regarding the situation? Sorry for bringing this up again, I'm just annoyed that the only things people pass around are secondary sources like news articles.

Many news articles have interviewed current and former residents of Xinjiang, have you started with those?

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I know they exists, and I'm not saying they're inherently wrong. But for the sake of this, I'm working from the perspective of super skepticism. As such, I want to see what we know in terms of legitimate/verifiable sources.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenGameboy posted:

I know they exists, and I'm not saying they're inherently wrong. But for the sake of this, I'm working from the perspective of super skepticism. As such, I want to see what we know in terms of legitimate/verifiable sources.

lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BrokenGameboy posted:

I know they exists, and I'm not saying they're inherently wrong.

thank marx someone finally agrees with me that leftist concentration camps have many beneficial aspects to them and the west is mainly against them because they are teaching prisoners marxism

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Ok. I think people are getting me confused.

Concentration camps are inherently unambiguously wrong. What I meant was that I know interviews with people exist, and that I'm not saying they're inherently cia plants or whatever.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
who cares

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Oct 29, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

thank marx someone finally agrees with me that leftist concentration camps have many beneficial aspects to them and the west is mainly against them because they are teaching prisoners marxism

when Typo writes this, you know someone has gone off the deep end

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

sincx posted:

Satellite images show buildings that really really look like mass incarceration camps suddenly popped up all over Xinjiang right when news about mass incarcerations of Uighurs started circulating.

edit: The PRC has also taken foreign press on carefully scripted tours of a few of these places. The PRC is no longer denying the existence of these facilities.

The BBC went on one of these tours, what I think is interesting is that they also returned without permission a short while later - and saw the "prisoners" getting on busses and going home.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The commonly agreed facts are that the camps exist, are for reeducation (or vocational training + building patriotism), and are being filled with Uyghurs.

Western powers are going to allege the number of people are severity of the reeducation are more than what China is admitting, and that it's an intentionally anti-islamic ethnic cleansing

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
that's one of the biggest mistakes people make. This isn't islamophobia, it's not religious chauvanism, it's explicitly racism. The Hui are a much larger Muslim group than the Uyghurs but don't suffer this kind of persecution and genocide because they're essentially Han.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

that's one of the biggest mistakes people make. This isn't islamophobia, it's not religious chauvanism, it's explicitly racism. The Hui are a much larger Muslim group than the Uyghurs but don't suffer this kind of persecution and genocide because they're essentially Han.

correct

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

Racism doesn't make sense as a motivation because the PRC is 70 years old and the discussed situation is at most like five.

This is a response to turkistan islamic party and etc.

Modest Mao posted:

The commonly agreed facts are that the camps exist, are for reeducation (or vocational training + building patriotism), and are being filled with Uyghurs.

Western powers are going to allege the number of people are severity of the reeducation are more than what China is admitting, and that it's an intentionally anti-islamic ethnic cleansing

More than that, grifters and feds are using social media to push very sinister ideas. There's an entire cottage industry of twitter accounts stealing innocuous tiktok videos, sometimes dubbing sinister music over them and claiming that they're recordings of atrocities and brainwashing.

A popular theme is alcohol consumption. Grandma chugging a beer while her friend eggs her on? That becomes her being "forced to consume alcohol to prove loyalty to the communists". That most Uyghur muslims don't follow islam's prohibition of alcohol is conveniently ignored.

There's also a growing trend of people claiming they're death camps, including at least one falun gong front org that managed to recycle the organ stealing thing and get it into the western press last month.

HorseLord has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Oct 29, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HorseLord posted:

Racism doesn't make sense as a motivation because the PRC is 70 years old and the discussed situation is at most like five.

actually, china has 5,000 years of history

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Bloodnose posted:

The Washington post says Hui are now being sent to the reeducation camps in I think gansu and maybe ningxia

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

*extremely taiwanese/hong kong voice* i am an authentic chinese so you must respect my opinion also eisenhower should have let mccarthur turn all those filthy main-lander peasants into radioactive ash

actually, the new thing is to emphasize Austronesian ancestry and claim to be SE Asian to disassociate Chineseness

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

HorseLord posted:

There's also a growing trend of people claiming they're death camps, including at least one falun gong front org that managed to recycle the organ stealing thing and get it into the western press last month.

is the death camp thing something that actually shows up in news outlets because from what ive seen what they usually do is make sure every other sentence contains the word genocide while being very careful to avoid contextualizing it at all so readers just assume theyre referring to death camps since thats normally the only time the word is ever used

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Found one article calling death camp in quotes: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12249797&ref=rss

Seems to relate back to the organ harvesting stuff, with story of a prisoner who on his first day had to give urine and blood samples as well as his eyes and other internal organs being inspected.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Lady Galaga posted:

story of a prisoner who on his first day had to give urine and blood samples as well as his eyes and other internal organs being inspected.

Just goes to show how well these patriotic students are taken care of, in America you would need to pay thousands of dollars for those tests

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloodnose posted:

See this is where I disagree. What China doesn't allow, is not religion, is a blend of religion that pledge royal to foreign states. The water down version of islam the Uyghurs used to practiced was okay. But authentic Sunni Islam is not okay. This is what CCP trying to brain wash away.

Also Uyghurs got targets because their local culture hasn't "submitted to Han dominace" the same way other minorities do, or the native Indians do to the Whites in the US. Maybe you can call it racism. But the motivation is not racism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what is authentic sunni islam can you give some examples of what the new hip uyghur take on islam is more similar to compared to the old one

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

It could be racism and Islamophobia at the same time

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
5 pillars of Islam, strict dress code for women, Sharia law, big rear end beard....

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Love to hear goons tell me what real Islam is like.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How do you say this

HorseLord posted:

and then this

HorseLord posted:

This is a response to turkistan islamic party and etc.
In the same breath? The ETIM has been dormant for like a decade, and other turkestan national movements date back before the ETR, which was founded in the early 1930s.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

How do you say this

and then this

In the same breath? The ETIM has been dormant for like a decade, and other turkestan national movements date back before the ETR, which was founded in the early 1930s.

They've literally committed terrorist attacks this decade and have an active presence as far as Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

2 dudes chillin in Syria ain't an active presence