Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

phosdex posted:

I'm envious of people whose ears are compatible with Airpods. Or even the earbuds that come with iPhones. Every iPhone I've owned has those buds untouched sitting in the box.

Although since I use over the ear headphones at work, they do contribute to a leave me alone kinda thing.

EarPods are poo poo. I can't believe people use them they are that bad. AirPods are the same quality but wireless, at that price point I want at least the quality of $75 wired Sony or Sennheiser earbuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I had a pair of Sennheisers that broke within the warranty period and then I had them replaced for free. They were like $120. Then I got a 3GS and I couldn’t live without the in-line remote so it was EarPods and cheap BT headphones until the AirPods.

I broke out the Sennheisers last week for a play through of Hellblade and they didn’t sound as good as my $60 Jabra on-ear headphones. Very comfortable, though!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 29, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m an old man and just use wireless on ear headphones. Sometimes I use wireless over the ear ones if I’m feeling extra frisky. I could never fit in ear stuff comfortably into my ears.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Eh, iems. Besides apple and crappy pack-ins can you even get earbuds proper anymore?

After tearing through enough crappy ones I wouldn't buy an audio device without replaceable cables again, which I guess counts me out on a device guaranteed to fail like airpods.

Brainwavz and they are excellent.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just use Lightning EarPods :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't think of any earbuds with replaceable cables.

Shure, Westones, Etymotic...

(ok, I guess technically those are all IEMs)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For anyone wondering, it looks like AppleCare for Airpods Pro is a good idea:
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/29/airpods-pro-replacement-cost/

I didnt add it at checkout but I sure as poo poo am adding it on friday.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mac users who buy the Airpods Pro will need the macOS 10.15.1 update that Apple just pinched out today for compatibility.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah I love it when major OS developers release a point version because new headphones.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't think of any earbuds with replaceable cables.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Ah I love it when major OS developers release a point version because new headphones.

quote:

The macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update includes updated and additional emoji, support for AirPods Pro, HomeKit Secure Video, HomeKit enabled routers, and new Siri privacy settings, as well as bug fixes and improvements.

Emoji
• Over 70 new or updated emoji, including animals, food, activities, new accessibility emoji, gender neutral emoji, and skin tones selection for couple emoji

AirPods
• Introduces support for AirPods Pro

Home app
• HomeKit Secure Video enables you to privately capture, store, and view encrypted video from your security cameras and features people, animal, and vehicle detection
• HomeKit enabled routers let you control how your HomeKit accessories communicate over the internet or in your home
• Adds support for AirPlay 2-enabled speakers in scenes and automations

Siri
• Privacy settings to control whether or not to help improve Siri and Dictation by allowing Apple to store audio of your Siri and Dictation interactions
• Option to delete your Siri and Dictation history from Siri Settings

This update also includes the following bug fixes and improvements:

• Restores the ability to view file names in the All Photos view in Photos
• Restores the ability to filter by favorites, photos, videos, edited, and keywords in Days view in Photos
• Fixes an issue where Messages would only send a single notification when the option to repeat alerts was enabled
• Resolves an issue that caused Contacts to launch to the previously opened contact instead of the contact list
• Adds a two-finger swipe gesture for back navigation in Apple News
• Resolves issues that may occur in the Music app when displaying playlists inside folders and newly added songs in the Songs list
• Improves reliability of migrating iTunes library databases into the Music, Podcasts, and TV apps
• Fixes an issue where downloaded titles were not visible in the Downloads folder in the TV app

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Looks like IOS 13.2 and Catalina 10.15.1 are what IOS and Catalina SHOULD have been from the beginning.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Yeah but notice the priority of that list. Top: emoji, then, headphones :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They know their userbase.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Release a critical security update that prevents hackers from turning your CPU into a bomb and like ten percent of your users are gonna bother. Release an update that adds shiny new emoji like the long-awaited onion and people will be all over that poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fedule posted:

Release a critical security update that prevents hackers from turning your CPU into a bomb and like ten percent of your users are gonna bother. Release an update that adds shiny new emoji like the long-awaited onion and people will be all over that poo poo.

ItBreathes posted:

They know their userbase.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
New onion emoji? I gotta get on that poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They added a yawning emoji which is loving BRUTAL to see after you send a long rear end text message

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

They added a yawning emoji which is loving BRUTAL to see after you send a long rear end text message

Oh that is gonna get put to some drat good use .

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Remember when they decoupled their apps from the OS and then proceeded to never ever update them outside of OS updates anyway?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So is it safe to update yet?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have an old SATA SSD from my old macbook pro that has some files on it that I want. Can I just hook it up to an enclosure and plug it into my new mac to access those files?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That will work fine.

Not sure what happens if you had FileVault turned on though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

~Coxy posted:

That will work fine.

Not sure what happens if you had FileVault turned on though.

You'll need the recovery key or the password for a FileVault enabled user on the disk.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Soon... SOON

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/30/apple-gets-fcc-approval-for-mac-pro-release-imminent

The Cheesegrater ][ will walk among us..

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

There is something magical about the inside of a computer with zero wires shown. No PC build, no matter how clean, will have zero wires.

If that thing ran a ThreadRipper I would be all over it.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 30, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The only wires in my Mac Pro 5,1 are from all the ridiculous power cablings I've put in to support various AMD / nVidia video cards.

Would Apple really launch the new Mac Pro on a Halloween day?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Considering theres nothing in it that's basically just a motherboard shot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a feeling the answer might be "lol Catalina", but has anyone had some weird issues with Find My (iPhone, device, whatever), specifically that although the device shows it's on and connected, the Find My (app & website) shows it off/no location found?

This is happening with my Macbook Pro ('15 model, running Catalina), and I can't figure out why.

I checked that Find My Mac is on, that Location Services is enabled for it, and that there aren't multiple devices which might be showing incorrectly (there's another MBP on Find My that isn't mine anymore, but both are showing as offline so ...)

Same results on the app on my phone. My iPhone and Watch show locations correctly, the old iPad that's sitting in a box somewhere shows as offline (correctly), but this Macbook shows offline even though it's on.

Edit: obvious thing to try that this thread already made me think of is underway: update to 10.15.1. Edit again: nope, didn’t fix it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 30, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait the new powermac is single socket?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ratbert90 posted:

There is something magical about the inside of a computer with zero wires shown. No PC build, no matter how clean, will have zero wires.

If that thing ran a ThreadRipper I would be all over it.

My first impression is "boy I hope you never have to replace or upgrade anything on that thing that looks like a laptop board in a case". Not something that screams "pro" to me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dr. Despair posted:

My first impression is "boy I hope you never have to replace or upgrade anything on that thing that looks like a laptop board in a case". Not something that screams "pro" to me.

It's got a socketed CPU, 12 RAM slots and a bunch of PCIe slots. What else is there to "upgrade" on a motherboard?

edit: Pretty sure you just skimmed the picture in the article and don't know anything about the new Mac Pro.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 30, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dr. Despair posted:

Having a bunch of wires and upgradeability/serviceability are not mutually exclusive. Most things these days are slots and sockets. The wires part makes things cheaper to manufacture but you can get away with moving those connectors to the slot/socket. I want to see 1000W over super PCIE so GPU power cables be dammed.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
And if you want power wires, there's plugs on the board for 8 pin PCI-E connectors.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kefkafloyd posted:

And if you want power wires, there's plugs on the board for 8 pin PCI-E connectors.

PC board makers need to do this.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Oh man, this MacBook Pro keyboard is really something else. I hope I will get used to it, but it doesn't feel all that nice just yet. A potentially bigger problem is not having an Esc key. I never realised how much I used that until it disappeared. The Touch Bar feels like a big, fat gimmick thus far.

By the way, the trackpad feels a lot more "squishy" (for lack of a better word) than the one on my former 2013. Is it supposed to be different like that? I have only seen people talk about the keyboard, and everybody seems to love the trackpad.

I love the smell of a new computer though.

That's all for now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Oh man, this MacBook Pro keyboard is really something else. I hope I will get used to it, but it doesn't feel all that nice just yet. A potentially bigger problem is not having an Esc key. I never realised how much I used that until it disappeared. The Touch Bar feels like a big, fat gimmick thus far.

By the way, the trackpad feels a lot more "squishy" (for lack of a better word) than the one on my former 2013. Is it supposed to be different like that? I have only seen people talk about the keyboard, and everybody seems to love the trackpad.

That's all for now.

A few pages back someone linked a tool bar changer that added an esc key and some other handy bits. It definitely has helped me use the Touch Bar more.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

PC board makers need to do this.

Some OEMs like Dell do it. Many workstation boards have connectors for SATA and some even Molex. I imagine that PCBs with a power plane capable of handling 1kW are a bit more expensive than your average Z370/X570 board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

That's all for now.

Here you go.

pram posted:

i totally agree. i was on the touchbar hate train until i tried this and now i actually use it all the time !!!

Gay Retard posted:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but GoldenChaos-BTT makes the TouchBar awesome and I couldn't imagine not having one at this point (admittedly, I also have an entire set of turbo keyboard shortcuts that also let me switch my volume/brightness/media right from the keyboard, too).

https://community.folivora.ai/t/goldenchaos-btt-the-complete-touch-bar-ui-replacement/1281

It really does make it so much better.