Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1188904556241010688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-is-free-to-play-this-week/

"Some missions take place in random places of the system, while others can be on a planet or moon. Flying down to a planet for the first time is honestly a surreal experience. One planet even has a working subway system."

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Yeah its hard to say what is going to happen exactly. But If we go with the SOTA model, they'll declare a "release" at some point when the money really starts to dry up, but string along remaining whales with promises of major future content updates. Then CIG will just slowly fade away into nothing. The problem with this theory is that CIG is operating on such a huge scale (5 studios and 500 employees) that its harder for them to quietly scale things back, in both a structural sense and without raising huge red flags in their community.

But I kind of think that Chris still needs a "release" as a smoke screen, so he can salvage some shreds of his reputation and try to move onto the high perch in the movie industry he thinks he deserves.

An Early Access release of some sort would do very nicely there.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

One Angry Game: STAR CITIZEN ALPHA 3.7 IS FREE UP TO NOVEMBER 3RD

quote:

For naysayers and haters, this is a perfect opportunity to play-test the game for free. For people who don’t have a computer powerful enough to play the game, well you can always watch better people play via YouTube or Twitch.

You might remember OAG from his racially-charged rants against people who criticized Star Citizen. Now's your chance to play it for free and meet the best community ever!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dementropy posted:

You might remember OAG from his racially-charged rants against people who criticized Star Citizen. Now's your chance to play it for free and meet the best community ever!

He's already doing that again in the comments section of this new post. All "ironic" of course.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait... is that real? That has to be a fan mock-up because those glasses look ghastly... even for SC...

lol they look like oculus home or bigscreen avatars

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

One Angry Game: STAR CITIZEN ALPHA 3.7 IS FREE UP TO NOVEMBER 3RD

"well you can always watch better people play"

Ah, so people are better than other people for having better computers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In discussion over on reddit, and someone actually said it....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, this certainly looks like the 30th century!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tokamak posted:

Disco Elysium has a bit where you trick an old man into giving you his ham sandwich by hyping the best drat ham sandwich ever, and requesting his sandwich as a prototype. If you like CRPGs, you need to play this game.

The bit about the overly-ambitious radio-computer game that was well above the technology level plowing through a bunch of cash immediately brought Star Citizen to mind.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Huh, those stats give us a glimpse to hourly average concurrency figures. Total alleged hours played divided by total hours in the 10 month period:

9,300,000 / (10*30.5*24) = 1270 average concurrent players per hour

If the numbers are legit this is much more than I actually expected. It is still borderline ghost town territory but I was expecting just a few hundreds tops.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 29, 2019

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

Huh, those stats give us a glimpse to hourly average concurrency figures. Total alleged hours played divided by total hours in the 10 month period:

9,300,000 / (10*30.5*24) = 1270 average concurrent players per hour

If the numbers are legit this is much more than I actually expected. It is still borderline ghost town territory but I was expecting just a few hundreds tops.

I see the most players this month by country's and wonder if it's a coincidence that there studios are in the top 4... Are they counting Devs?

Also if the chart for most played purchased ship, read number of frustrating bugs it would also be true

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
For comparison, from FFXIV's 2015 census.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

In discussion over on reddit, and someone actually said it....

My inner Todd Howard really wants to let him know that while that may be true, the entire SC content also fits into Rorikstead.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Meanwhile, over on the ED steam discussion forum, a wandering backer tries to promite SC and offers up their referral code for people interested.

As is normal, these threads normally get a good amount of SC bashing in them and then as soon as the mods notice, locked.

However, it appears trying to push your promo code is against Steam rules and the whole thread was wiped, or else the OP self-deleted.

Pretty sure it wasn't the reception they were expecting :D

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hogo Fogo posted:

My inner Todd Howard really wants to let him know that while that may be true, the entire SC content also fits into Rorikstead.

Heh, its a silly rebuttal anyway. You could say the whole area of SC could fit into a small part of the minecraft map.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
These idiots know X3 Albion Prelude basically does everything they want SC to do, but its like a complete game they can play right?
I should reinstal my lovely $35 package and poke around this stupid free fly garbage.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreadwroth2 posted:

These idiots know X3 Albion Prelude basically does everything they want SC to do, but its like a complete game they can play right?
I should reinstal my lovely $35 package and poke around this stupid free fly garbage.

But does it have caves and infinite crap?

Checkmate, fudster!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
The scam aficionado knows the names of Theranos and Enron, but there’s a new kid on the block...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/how-weworks-adam-neumann-became-billionaire/600607/

...WeWork.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav posted:

The scam aficionado knows the names of Theranos and Enron, but there’s a new kid on the block...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/how-weworks-adam-neumann-became-billionaire/600607/

...WeWork.

I remember that up until recently (for obvious reasons), WeWork created a hype train of sorts among property investors in NYC. Now people are looking to quickly reposition their bets investments.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well, PC now built, 4 months after ordering the bits :v:
Things ramped up when the GPU pipelines kicked in

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remember when Chris told us that the scope increase would not slow down development, and in fact it would speed it up instead?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSOCS = Jesus patch.

Today, I've been literally told: "Core features are being implemented, Server side object container streaming and server meshing being the big ones right now, server are buckling under the weight of content being loaded on them right now, server meshing will solve the issue and allow more content to he added," when I asked about missing gameplay loops. In the eyes of the hardcore fans SSOCS will fix everything (and they'll first be disappointed when it doesn't and then praise some new made-up term).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1189113851062738945

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-is-free-to-play-this-week/

"Some missions take place in random places of the system, while others can be on a planet or moon. Flying down to a planet for the first time is honestly a surreal experience. One planet even has a working subway system."

drat, Andy Chalk is so tired of flacking this crap:

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games has kicked off another Star Citizen "Free-Fly" week to mark the recent release of alpha 3.7.0. From today until November 3, players can hop into the cockpits of five free ships and go for a spin in the inky, incomplete blackness.

The 3.7 update made some big changes to the game, including the ability to go mining in cave systems. It sounds more like a job than "fun"—scan a planet, locate resources, land and dig them out, take them someplace to sell them—but I suppose the "occasionally getting shot at" part does add a certain intensity to the experience. Ship rentals are also now available, so you can lay out some in-game cash to get some stick time on ships before you throw real money at them.

Players also have personal inventories now, and missions can now be shared with other party members, which wasn't previously possible. (Rewards are shared too, though, so keep that in mind before you let you generosity run away with you.)

If you like what you see on your travels you can get into the game full-time a little more cheaply than usual, as starter packs are being discounted "across the board" for the duration of the week. Players can get in on the action for a pledge of $40—a "pledge," rather than a purchase, because Star Citizen is still technically raising funds for development—which will net them a starter ship, a "game package," three months of ship insurance, and 1000 United Earth Credits, the in-game currency.

Will Star Citizen ever be finished? I honestly don't know. The Squadron 42 beta was recently delayed, but as we noted at the time, its scripted singleplayer adventure is effectively an entirely separate game, as is the Star Marine FPS component we never hear about anymore. (Although, ironically, a new Star Marine Elimination map was added in the alpha 3.7 update too.) Whatever the semantics of its status (and Star Citizen is hardly alone in muddling the meaning of "released"), people are still throwing money at it, still playing it—and, presumably, still enjoying it.

Details and signup links for the Star Citizen Free-Fly week are up at robertsspaceindustries.com. And if you're a fan of infographics, we've got one of those for you, too.

It wasn’t that long ago PCGamer hyped this as the end-all-be-all of gaming experiences. Now they can’t even be bothered, their exhaustion with the effort is front-and-center.

Hang in there, Andy — you’ve still got years to go. Lots more Free Flights ahead to slug and many more Squadron delays to cover before it’s all “done.” Then all you have to do is write your 10/10 reviews and you can wash your hands of this miserable duty.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

SSOCS = Jesus patch.

Today, I've been literally told: "Core features are being implemented, Server side object container streaming and server meshing being the big ones right now, server are buckling under the weight of content being loaded on them right now, server meshing will solve the issue and allow more content to he added," when I asked about missing gameplay loops. In the eyes of the hardcore fans SSOCS will fix everything (and they'll first be disappointed when it doesn't and then praise some new made-up term).

The next thing is "Server Meshing," they're already positioning it as the thing that will really fix the game. At a glance it sounds a lot like the layering that WoW's servers have been doing for the last decade. But I'm sure it'll take them a year or two to develop this never-been-done-before revolution in having more than 30 or so people play a game together at once.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo&t=112s

2,392,596 "citizens" and 9,325,386 hours means an average of 3 hours over the course of 10 months.

But let's go with the Turbulent metric of only half of the registered accounts are paying accounts, so now that's 1,196,298 citizens and 9,325,386 hours means an average of 7.8 hours of star citizen in 10 months.

But let's say that half of that citizen count actually play the game and are not waiting for a release, 598,149 playing customers and 9,325,386 hours means an average of 15 hours in 10 months.

But let's say half of that playing user base only logged in for 2 total hours in this 10 month period and got bored/frustrated. 299074 content locusts removed, 299075 true citizens remain. Minus the content locusts' 2 hours, leaving us with 8,727,237 to enjoy the game and have "fun". The remaining 2+ hour players have all played on average 29.2 hours over 10 months.

We're looking at player count reduction to about 12% of the "official" cited player count to approach healthy player-base average-engagement times.
I'd say 3 hours a month per player is just before the event horizon of the "we can't get people to play our game" problem.

I suppose there are other questions to ask about the data, like is it just PTU? Does Evocati testing count? Do Star Marine and Arena Commander count towards spaceships and gun numbers?
Numbers are numbers, yes, but in true CIG fashion they are vague and obfuscated.

So this all had me thinking, what's the dollar to hour ratio?
$239,556,346 ytd total, $213,363,737 on Janurary 1st, $26,192,609 raised so far.
For people who played over 2 hours a month, that's about 3 dollars an hour.

I honestly think CIG could drop selling spaceships, straight up charge a $12 a month subscription at this point, right now during alpha, and maintain it's funding. Everything else is just frosting on the money cake, by this rough metric alone.
And they can justify it: "You're not paying for access, you're helping with a monthly pledge service to make the BDSSE!"
And think about it, how willing would a backer be to pledge $12 a month for access to nearly everything (3rd party exclusives excluded of course, gotta buy that Optane SSD)?

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I'm an idiot getting into idiot slapfights over at GameFAQs but I thought this was interesting enough to merit a post. Some Citizen over there was arguing that CIG's budget was equivalent to WoW's (Blizzard famously revealed in 2008 that upkeep, customer service, etc. for WoW had cost $200 million, although sources say the initial game itself was made for around $63 million) and that this is a fair comparison because CIG is also covering things like infrastructure overhead, marketing (somehow I guess that's coming out of the main budget and not the subscribers' thing like CIG says it is, but ignore this minor quibble) etc...

Eric Kieron Davis posted:

With Star Citizen, the universe and all of our modules are playable now. We have people playing hundreds of hours of all those modules every week. They’re jumping into the 3.2 release to give us helpful feedback. It’s ready to go live, and it’s been cool to get everything running and get some feedback from our players.

We all know that the number of backers actually putting time into Star Citizen is shockingly low, that's not news to the thread. The "two million" (remember: the real number is likely significantly less than that, based on the interview Turbulent did with HuffPo in 2016) backers aren't actually playing all that much. "Hundreds of hours per week" is a pretty broad statement, but it means we can safely assume players aren't playing thousands of hours a week. Hmmm. And that's not even getting into the breakdown between modules (which have been broken down in this thread before).

So, what about WoW? I mean I knew it was one of if not the most successful MMO of all time, but I actually found out something I didn't know today:

Kotaku posted:

Mixed in among all the research findings, however, the article also drops one particularly mind-boggling statistic:

'By one analyst's calculation, the 11 million or so registered users of the online role-playing fantasy World of Warcraft collectively have spent as much time playing the game since its introduction in 2004 as humanity spent evolving as a species-about 50 billion hours of game time, which adds up to about 5.9 million years.'

That's very nearly six million years of World of Warcraft played worldwide. How fortunate we are, then, that these moments seem to rewrite the brain in a positive way, and not a negative one.

Fifty. Billion. Hours. But what does that break down to weekly? That article was written in 2012, 8 years or about 416 weeks after WoW's launch. Unless I haven't had enough coffee to math yet today 50 billion hours over 416 weeks is an average of 120,192,307.692 hours/week.

It's a shame I can't seem to find the "hours played" from launch to 2009, I'd absolutely love to see the hours played per week compared to the $200 million upkeep costs. Also, it's worth nothing that the two games have wildly different sized userbases. Saying "all the star Citizen backers play 999 hours a week but all the WoW players play 120 million hours a week" doesn't mean much if there's 11 million people playing WoW and only 3 playing SC, but luckily we're just (again, bizarrely) comparing infrastructure cost in an attempt to wave away Star Citizen's insane budget, so I guess the average hours per player per week don't really matter, unless we want to try and find out just how unpopular playing Star Citizen is even among its own backers.

If that's what we want to look at, the situation gets weird and it actually gets better for Star Citizen the fewer backers there are. Let's be generous with EKD's statement and assume backers are logging 999 hours of gameplay a week. We don't know how many Star Citizen backers have purchased the game currently, but we do have a watermark from 2016, via the Turbulent interview:

HuffPost posted:

Of the one million user accounts that includes the Roberts Space Industries platform, 500,000 fans have already pre-purchased content in the game, which is actively involved in its funding.

Just for funsies, let's try and make Star Citizen look as good as possible here. That HuffPost number is our hard floor of actual backers: there can't really be fewer than 500,000. Now, it seems obvious that there's probably far more who have bought in in the last two years (even counting dirty leavers) but remember we're trying to make CIG look good here, and the more backers there are the lower the average play time per backer per week gets. So, assuming 500,000 backers are logging 999 hours a week (because we know it's hundreds not thousands), the average play time per backer per week is * drum roll please* 0.001998 hours.

It seems things have improved slightly since last year, but the lengths you have to go to to make the hours per player seem even close to something resembling a modern, popular game are staggering.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Star Citizen and Prison: Two sides of the same coin

Does a bear poo poo infinitely in the woods cave?

For Posterity:

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 29, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How much space does SC take up? I'm thinking of trying the free-fly thing just to get a personal experience of the trainwreck I spend so much mental energy following, but I only have a 250 GB SSD and if I have to uninstall Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds to play this, fuuuuuuck that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How much space does SC take up? I'm thinking of trying the free-fly thing just to get a personal experience of the trainwreck I spend so much mental energy following, but I only have a 250 GB SSD and if I have to uninstall Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds to play this, fuuuuuuck that.

~50 gb, at least last time I updated it

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I've finally got around to watching Das Boot and it's pretty dope, I highly recommend it.

I also got extremely hyped for Squadron 42, where legendary game developer Chris Robers will hopefully re-create WW2 submarine warfare in the vacuum of space.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

~50 gb, at least last time I updated it

Ok, that's doable, thanks. I probably won't bother anyway, though, on further reflection I'd just rather play The Outer Worlds more.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I am sure SC takes more space than any other game before and you can fit... wait, nvm.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peter gabriel posted:

Remember when Chris told us that the scope increase would not slow down development, and in fact it would speed it up instead?

We remember. But backers like to forget anything CR said that doesn't fit with the current narrative.

Like how the Calder money was only for marketing, until it wasn't.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Star Citizen: its worthwhile being a slave

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dynastocles posted:

Star Citizen: its fuckin shite :lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts has to be making GBS threads himself with how MS Flight looks in the fidelity department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

Roberts has to be making GBS threads himself with how MS Flight looks in the fidelity department.

You just know that right now there is an 18 year old Head of Fidelity (Ground Streaming) Pipelines on work experience day release from Salford Tech being lambasted by a sweaty faced manager in the Wilmslow office on just that topic.