Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

where do I keep my medicines, I picked up quite a few and can’t find them in inventory.

it's the number above your morale or your health, click it to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm super-duper unclear, is there a ticking clock? Because goddamn there is so much to do. I restarted at the end of day 1 because Kim's a cool guy and I didn't want him pawning his stuff to pay for my drunk rear end, and on attempt #2 I accomplished nearly none of what I did on day 1.

I did pretty much every sidequest and was locked out of two things, but I could have done them had I not gone in blind. If there is a large clock it is lenient to the point of irrelevancy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm super-duper unclear, is there a ticking clock? Because goddamn there is so much to do. I restarted at the end of day 1 because Kim's a cool guy and I didn't want him pawning his stuff to pay for my drunk rear end, and on attempt #2 I accomplished nearly none of what I did on day 1.

Time moves when you progress through new dialog or spend time by reading books or play board games

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Omi no Kami posted:

Sooort of. Time moves when speaking/interacting with new choices. But you can run around the map all you like. There is a soft deadline of sorts, but it is very, very, very generous.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Sooort of. Time moves when speaking/interacting with new choices. But you can run around the map all you like. There is a soft deadline of sorts, but it is very, very, very generous.

Okay, that sounds better... like, it's not even relevant 'cause I'm gonna replay this a ton, but I mostly ignored wheelchair/gardener ladies on day 1, then when they moved and got new stuff on morning 2 I found myself going 'Oh crap, did I just lock myself out of a bunch of stuff by not talking to a shitload of people on day 1'.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The biggest stuff you might miss are The imperialist old man dying after day 4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The biggest stuff you might miss are The imperialist old man dying after day 4

That and going into the apartment behind the Whirling Rag for Evrart, but even then Evrart goes "fine whatever here's the next side quest in the chain"

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

dang think I just got stuck. talking to the fat guy in the desk hits me with two morale losses when he mentions my lost thing, and there’s nowhere else to go and no option other than making a really hard composure check...since I only have two morale total this is bad. and game overs me

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think you can quickly hit the 'pop a pill to heal' button as you're dying.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a fatguy baldspot posted:

dang think I just got stuck. talking to the fat guy in the desk hits me with two morale losses when he mentions my lost thing, and there’s nowhere else to go and no option other than making a really hard composure check...since I only have two morale total this is bad. and game overs me

Do you have any medicine at present? You can use it while you're going down to 0 / when the screen pauses for a few moments.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

if any of you are having another go, please, please do this

Try the Savoir-Faire check when talking to Garte about your bill, and fail. And go all the way.

Thank me later.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Do you have any medicine at present? You can use it while you're going down to 0 / when the screen pauses for a few moments.

well poo poo that would’ve been nice to know, lmao

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

There are like 3 things in this game that should be improved.

1. Explain you can take medicine not to die in a cut scene
2. Fix everything gated behind the shivers check
3. Let us play as Cuno.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The gently caress does Cuno care about this fuckin stack of books with a face?! gently caress off!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Kim, I took one swig of a bottle and smoke one cigarette. I'm not "still drinking and smoke constantly".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does "the precarious world" do anything? still failed 97% rolls with it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Verviticus posted:

before completion you fail all red checks with it

after completion super-failures and super-successes now require results of 1 or 2/11 or 12 instead of only snake eyes/boxcars

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 29, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just finished the game. I typically am only interested in games with lots of combat and crunchy character build systems, but this was an excellent ride the whole way through. The ending was especially haunting, and the writers really brought everything up to another level in the ”conversation” with the plasmid. It perfectly encapsulated the direct juxtaposition of humor and pathos that permeates the whole game. I went with a 2/4/4/2 build with maxed physical instrument, shivers, inland empire, volition, esprit de corps and reaction speed (low cap on that last one, so I’m sure I missed lots of stuff there). Shivers was my favorite, but inland empire the “conversation” was gated behind it, I think and esprit de corps really added a lot incredible flavor, too. I’m definitely going to play again, this time focusing on int and motorics and planning out which thoughts to take beforehand to try and maximize skill points. Probably smoke a ton and maybe do drugs, though I don’t think I could bear to not try and go sober.

My ending was: discovering a new species and solving the case thoroughly. Harry went back to working as a detective in the 41st and Kim joined the 41st too. I assume that’s probably one of the best endings, though there were a bunch of things I didn’t end up doing. I don’t know if they would have influenced the end. What are some of the other endings like?

Verviticus posted:

Mechanics spoiler, no plot information: It makes it so you can fail checks automatically on a 1 or 2 instead of just a 1 and pass them automatically on an 11 or 12 instead of just a 12. I think it’s really bad, since I feel like it’s more likely to gently caress you over on your strengths than to make up for your weaknesses. It’s only helpful on checks where you have a 3% chance to succeed and those are only a small minority of all the checks you make. I dropped it very quickly after getting it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

-Zydeco- posted:

Does shivers ever give you usable info in regular conversations? I'm 5 1 1 5 and though I got like 4 shivers from clothing and thoughts it mainly just gives me cinematic descriptions of the city. I want to do a shivers heavy play though next since I like how somber its descriptions are, but it seems to almost never come up in conversations.

shivers is a G

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is the credited Einstuerzende Neubauten logo somewhere in the game?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think shivers is my favorite skill because when it actually speaks i get actual shivers.

Was I right?

YOU WERE.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

SelenicMartian posted:

Is the credited Einstuerzende Neubauten logo somewhere in the game?
It's one of the things that you can paint on the wall once you have the brush and the fuel oil.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ephemeron posted:

It's one of the things that you can paint on the wall once you have the brush and the fuel oil.
Oh, I failed the conceptualization check on the wall every time I tried.

But I did get to use the car fuel can on the generator in the end!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Roobanguy posted:

i think shivers is my favorite skill because when it actually speaks i get actual shivers.

Was I right?

YOU WERE.

Shivers has a lot of cool moments throughout the game but that is definitely one of my favorite bits. It's truly delightful to watch your skills bicker with each other and whisper inappropriate suggestions to you, but there's something refreshing about how Shivers is just... detached from the rest and gives you the cold, hard truth every time (even if it's not always directly relevant to the matter at hand)

Didn't regret my IE/Shivers run one bit, even if that meant abusing the gently caress out of speed and cigarettes to brute force through checks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, Shivers telling you who it is and telling you the city's spirit loves you is one of the best moments in the game

I really enjoyed playing with good Psych and Physical.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I am severely disappointed that I couldn't follow through with my burst of inspiration on a 3% success roll to paint a phoenix on the bare wall and light the motherfucker on fire.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Night10194 posted:

Also, Shivers telling you who it is and telling you the city's spirit loves you is one of the best moments in the game

I really enjoyed playing with good Psych and Physical.

Holy crap, that never happened to me even with something like 12 in the skill. Where does it happen? I’ll definitely try and get it again on another playthrough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Holy crap, that never happened to me even with something like 12 in the skill. Where does it happen? I’ll definitely try and get it again on another playthrough.

Help the kids make a dance club and invent the future of disco.

Also, all the grounding in this game goes a long way to making the really mystic and profound stuff really stand out. All the mundane politics and death and policework really matters, and then something crazy and amazing happens and that makes it really hit home.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

drat, I couldn’t pass the high skill checks after setting up the club, so I couldn’t fix the bass on the music. I also didn’t do any drugs, so hopefully that will help next time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Night10194 posted:

Help the kids make a dance club and invent the future of disco.

Also, all the grounding in this game goes a long way to making the really mystic and profound stuff really stand out. All the mundane politics and death and policework really matters, and then something crazy and amazing happens and that makes it really hit home.

Ahhh. I kinda.... arrested them all...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You get what you deserve, narc. :colbert:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Kim asked me why I set up the club and I said I did it for all mankind, but he didn’t believe me. One of the only times I was disappointed in Kim.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

smh

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Kim asked me why I set up the club and I said I did it for all mankind, but he didn’t believe me. One of the only times I was disappointed in Kim.

Cut him some slack, he's from the old-school of policing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your authoritarian heart is full of bitch.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Depending on how you read the (meta?)physics of the world setting up the rave in the church might be the greatest thing you can do in the game in terms of impact, completely eclipsing solving the actual case or successfully negotiating the political tension around the case. It's a little weird how miss-able it is; I'm lucky my instincts and willingness to save-scum got me it on my first playthrough.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I was determined not to evict The Programmer and I had not yet managed to open the ice cream maker by the time I hit the point of no return on Day Four. To be fair the game warned me. So not only did I not get to the rave, I didn't get a chance to restock the phasmid traps before the cryptozoologist and his wife departed. I was so bummed! Then, in the final confrontation I failed a 97% perception check, thought I surely was about to get shot by another accomplice or something, when the phasmid appeared in all its glory! And my pal Kim got a great photo of it! I'm not sure if that made up for the bloodshed and other mishaps, but it was pretty epic.

Also epic was hanging out with Kim, watching the tide go out, and realizing (at the same time as Harry) that this was *his* squad care (of course) and *he* had sunk it in the lake (of course). "Oh, god, no..."

I'm looking forward to a second game where I experiment with the crazier side of being Harry but I worry about disappointing Kim, who is definitely one of the best NPC buddies I've ever had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quinton posted:

Also epic was hanging out with Kim, watching the tide go out, and realizing (at the same time as Harry) that this was *his* squad care (of course) and *he* had sunk it in the lake (of course). "Oh, god, no..."

Some of the best written lines in the game are Harry realizing just how badly he hosed himself over pre-binge. My favourite is when he's checking in on the radio and gets to "I'M MISSING MY GUN AND BADGE?!" :cripes:. You can just hear the despair in his dialogue any time something from the night before he passed out comes up. I also love that Kim spotted the license plate well before the tide started going out, but some things you need to let be discovered on their own...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Quinton posted:

Yeah, I remember during my first playthrough I wasn't thinking too much about it, and when Harry mentions that the number on the car said "41" my thought process literally just went "41? Wait, wasn't that the.. oh god".

Amazing moment. Really captured that "Eureka!" moment of a classical detective novel, in the best and worst possible way. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

during that bit i had sent kim away with the corpse so i found the car by myself, and that was a pretty great scene. much less embarrassing, and i'm disappointed there's no trigger when walking by it later to get kim to politely not say anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

acab and all, but every cop in this game is a legit bro. when you call into the 41st for the first time to 'explain things' they will not gently caress you over and lock it down.

this is probably to the detriment of greater revachol, but felt good in-character.