Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Augus posted:

there are gameplay videos and previews and reviews and it's not really all that hard to see a mechanic in a video game and say "this doesn't look all that fun"

Yeh I don't know how long y'all have or haven't been playing video games (heh) but being able to tell if you like how a game flows just from a video isn't some weird arcane mind trick or brain hack. You're watching the game in question being played, during which part of the process do things break down for you guys where your brain can no longer make basic connections?

No strong opinions on Gooigi Manson III but combat doesn't look especially engaging. I like the vibe of these games though so I'll probably get to it after DQXI

By then the overly polarized reviews should be obvious so win win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Takoluka posted:

These fuckers will wait for my inverted southpaw while I wait for them to stop picking Virus mode.
Why would you want to play anything other than Virus mode?

To hell with Deadly Premonition 2, Timesplitters 4 would be the Nintendo Direct surprise that would blow my mind.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

breath of the wild 2 is a disappointment

It's an unplayable mess

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Yeh I don't know how long y'all have or haven't been playing video games (heh) but being able to tell if you like how a game flows just from a video isn't some weird arcane mind trick or brain hack. You're watching the game in question being played, during which part of the process do things break down for you guys where your brain can no longer make basic connections?

No strong opinions on Gooigi Manson III but combat doesn't look especially engaging. I like the vibe of these games though so I'll probably get to it after DQXI

Technically true but also the people who play games early are always fuckin' awful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

I would not trust a games journalist to give me an accurate depiction of how combat feels in a game, I'd play the game myself to make that determination.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Technically true but also the people who play games early are always fuckin' awful.

but if the game looks easy in the hands of someone bad at video games then it’s probably easy in the hands of someone good at video games too

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Or you could turn just your monitor on, its a Mario game! Sure some games lend themselves less well to just being seen but I don't think Luigi's Mansion is especially novel or new or challenging to understand just from watching it. Unless I'm missing something obvious it seems pretty straightforward

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

breath of the wild 2 is a disappointment

Completely redeemed by 3 tho

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
sWitcher 3 does feel like you're constantly fighting against the character animations, which is annoying, but the game is still really good!

I got to the audience with the emperor but beforehand some chamberlain dude was asking me all sorts of questions about people I hadn't heard of; "did you kill McJibberjabber?", it seemed like the game thought I should know all these people's names (I'm guessing they're from past witcher games?). I just bullshitted my way through it. Does it matter?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

American McGay posted:

I would not trust a games journalist

Yes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Rabelais D posted:

sWitcher 3 does feel like you're constantly fighting against the character animations, which is annoying, but the game is still really good!

I got to the audience with the emperor but beforehand some chamberlain dude was asking me all sorts of questions about people I hadn't heard of; "did you kill McJibberjabber?", it seemed like the game thought I should know all these people's names (I'm guessing they're from past witcher games?). I just bullshitted my way through it. Does it matter?

Yes they're from past games (and the books I think), but no it doesn't really matter. There's no right or wrong answers.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

was the Goose Game co op rumour debunked or fact? it's the only game my non-gaming friends have shown any interest in so i'm enthusiastic about the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7BHABt2nY

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is there ever gonna be a time where they reduce some of the older/less popular first party Switch games in price. That would be sick

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Is there ever gonna be a time where they reduce some of the older/less popular first party Switch games in price. That would be sick

On a Nintendo console? lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Don't count on it unless it's like several years later after those games launched or outright Other M levels of bad.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

sigher posted:

On a Nintendo console? lol
They did it on Wii!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Don't count on it unless it's like several years later after those games launched or outright Other M levels of bad.
Will buy Arms

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I thought the Luigi theme and music might make hanging in for the last few players in Tetris99 less tense.

It does not :shepface:.

Managed to last until I was the 13th player left before getting bodied with trash though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How good is River City Girls?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Oh gently caress I completely forgot about Tetris 99 this weekend. First one I've missed and I really wanted it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Modus Pwnens posted:

Oh gently caress I completely forgot about Tetris 99 this weekend. First one I've missed and I really wanted it.
It's really awful, definitely the worst of the themes they've released so far. Although not having it would still gently caress with my completionist brain. Goondolences.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not permanently. But for E3, Christmas, or a promotion for a new release? It's definitely happened before and way more likely than before.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Nintendo has done a greatest hits release of their games for the last few generations, but I’d be willing to bet it won’t be until next year at the earliest, to dampen the release of PS5 and Scarlet.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did nintendo fix the problem of screens in the Switch Lite of being broken by me, John Goofus?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Switch Lite makes sense as being much like the 2DS; goons with disposable income and/or no life aren't necessarily the target market. Since the Switch is designed to work perfectly well without a TV or detached controllers, a lot of expensive features can be stripped for a model that's as affordable as possible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Augus posted:

there are gameplay videos and previews and reviews and it's not really all that hard to see a mechanic in a video game and say "this doesn't look all that fun"

This line of thought is why Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone with no combat and The Evil Within had an immortal ghost that ignored terrain and would one shot you if it made contact chase you through the entire game.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

We might see the Nintendo Selects thing come back where a handful of titles get price cuts, but that would be next year at the earliest.

In the short term, last year Nintendo had sales for black Friday, Christmas, and New year's, and put first party titles to $40 each time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Len posted:

This line of thought is why Resident Evil 7 was a lovely Outlast clone with no combat and The Evil Within had an immortal ghost that ignored terrain and would one shot you if it made contact chase you through the entire game.

what the gently caress are you talking about lmao

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Augus posted:

I think those are both complaints people had about those games from watching early gameplay videos and assuming the entire game would be that way. I think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Augus posted:

len gets weirdly smug about games that goons were skeptical of during previews that ultimately ended up good

don't even get them started about doom 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RandomFerret posted:

Take this opportunity to fix your broken brain

I used to use inverted look, then I got sick of being the one rear end in a top hat who always held everybody up by changing my settings every time we got together to play timesplitters

inverted is how anyone with a lick of real world experience plays. if you've ever handled a tripod in your life inverted is physically the only way to do it. or thought about how your body works for a goddamn second

incidentally, in third-person games, you'll also invert the x-axis if you're the kind of player who considers the camera's swivel point being the player character's head, as opposed to the "fishbowl" on the edge of the camera's boundaries

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m talking about the basic action of vacuuming up ghosts. It’s like the jump in a mainline Mario game. It’s not gonna radically change to be something completely different at some point lol

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

inverted is how anyone with a lick of real world experience plays. if you've ever handled a tripod in your life inverted is physically the only way to do it. or thought about how your body works for a goddamn second

incidentally, in third-person games, you'll also invert the x-axis if you're the kind of player who considers the camera's swivel point being the player character's head, as opposed to the "fishbowl" on the edge of the camera's boundaries

Guess what

i'm not a tiny handler sitting behind my eyeballs swiveling them around, my brain already does all the translation and handling muscles and all that so that i think left when i actually want to look left

so when i need to look left, i press left and when i want to look up i press up and don't put another layer of abstraction into my thinking that my brain has already solved, like watching everything through two consecutive camera obscuras lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Here's what I do: adjust depending on the game

Holy poo poo! !!!!!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

My body works by me turning my head left when I want to look left

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

Do you look around by grabbing the back of your head and swinging your face around?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

How good is River City Girls?

i played through it once with the default characters in local co-op mode. all the story scenes are kind of embarrassing and seem like they were written by/for people who attend anime conventions. that said, the gameplay is good - - particularly the combo system, and especially when you're trying to figure out how to coreograph a kill combo with your co-op partner. took us about 5 hours to clear, and beating the game once unlocks 2 more characters. I think it was 30 bucks, and that's fair if you have someone to play with. if I were planning on playing it solo I don't think it would be as good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

len gets weirdly smug about games that goons were skeptical of during previews that ultimately ended up good

But it was slow and bad and focused entirely on lovely multiplayer

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

links awakening remake sucks. the framerate sucks poo poo like I'm looking at a flipbook animation of a horse through a slit in a big wheel. botw has weapon durability which I find to be an annoyance. luigis mansion 3 too easy. dqxi is too simple for my taste. I got the witcher 3 but immediately rode my horse into a lake and I didn't understand the story. this is why i played it on pc with invincibility and the power to warp anywhere and skipped all the dialog. the Nintendo switch, this is gods perfect console honk lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Hammer Bro. posted:

Change to the alternate control mode in the options. Then you can whip around unrealistically, as one would expect in a video game.

The White Dragon posted:

God I love this thread. It would be fascinating to me to see how goons actually move through the real world. Like this guy actually runs in a giant U-turn every time he turns around? He's never ever before just actually turned around?