Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CoolCab posted:

it is a drat shame i don't gamble because i'd love to take your money on this one.

I'd go more conservatively and say that the Nats will get 53 or there abouts. Minimum of 50 though. Libs hold Orkney and Shetland and maybe one or two others, Labour hold Ian oval office Murray's seat, Tories hold a couple in the borders, maybe something in the north east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Christian people's alliance imho

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Run yourself as a candidate on the MMMK Path

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I'd go more conservatively and say that the Nats will get 53 or there abouts. Minimum of 50 though. Libs hold Orkney and Shetland and maybe one or two others, Labour hold Ian oval office Murray's seat, Tories hold a couple in the borders, maybe something in the north east.

put a gun to my head right now and i think the tories would lose about half of their seats. that's the only firm prediction at this stage, i'd say.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, is Kama McKenzie any good? What do we know about her?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

put a gun to my head right now and i think the tories would lose about half of their seats. that's the only firm prediction at this stage, i'd say.

so jo swindon is losing her seat then :v:

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

lovely smug Jezza in the Dutch papers today. General mood seems to be that Boris was humiliated and defeated mostly thanks to Corbz. It’s good to at least some of the media can see Labour for what they are.

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 29, 2019

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tesseraction posted:

so jo swindon is losing her seat then :v:

isn't she one of those weird island MPs, those ones have appeared to be stubbornly resistant to what's happening on the mainland for as long as i've been paying attention, which to be fair is not overlong.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I generally use Ebuyer for PC parts, never had a problem over the last 17 or so years using them.

Honestly though these days I suggest you buy a refurbished Thinkpad for your computer needs and a PS4 Pro for your gaming needs. Spend the hundreds of £££ you have saved on doner kebabs, ice cream and Bourbon whisky.

yeah i had a pc that could play games and i bought a shitton of stuff on steamsale and i played basically none of it. bought a switch tho and mario is still very good/

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1189163970034327554

this is the stupidest poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

isn't she one of those weird island MPs, those ones have appeared to be stubbornly resistant to what's happening on the mainland for as long as i've been paying attention, which to be fair is not overlong.

It's a swing seat which she lost for being in the Tory coalition.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Venomous posted:

I mean, is Kama McKenzie any good? What do we know about her?

https://www.somersetlabour.co.uk/news/sedgemoor/kama-mckenzie-selected-for-labour-in-wells/

I've only moved to the area and it seems kinda hopelessly tory/yellow and it seems they've been rotating Labour candidates in far third place for 50 years. I'll be voting Lab obviously because lol two tories but Labour is really loving small here. Just disheartening.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, everyone Somerset have been selecting for this election have been extremely young and left leaning compared to previous years so I dunno. But still very uphill.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Zohar posted:

this is the stupidest poo poo

If the PLP moves against Corbyn at this moment, they really will be condemning the Labour Party irreparably.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Szmitten posted:

https://www.somersetlabour.co.uk/news/sedgemoor/kama-mckenzie-selected-for-labour-in-wells/

I've only moved to the area and it seems kinda hopelessly tory/yellow and it seems they've been rotating Labour candidates in far third place for 50 years. I'll be voting Lab obviously because lol two tories but Labour is really loving small here. Just disheartening.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, everyone Somerset have been selecting for this election have been extremely young and left leaning compared to previous years so I dunno. But still very uphill.

Well if that page is anything to go by she owns.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
This is probably going to be lost amongst the news of an election but:

UK Treasury on course to exceed this year's deficit target by £16bn posted:

Economic slowdown and spiralling cost of student loans will force government to break its deficit rule

The government is on course to overshoot its deficit target this year by £16bn after a series of spending pledges, a slowdown in the economy and the spiralling cost of student loans stripped the Treasury of £43bn.

The Resolution Foundation, an independent thinktank, warned that the £27bn of spending “headroom” set aside by former chancellor Philip Hammond in March to cope with the costs of Brexit had evaporated over the last six months, leaving the government with a hefty deficit.

In a report that was due to be released ahead of Sajid Javid’s first budget on 6 November, which was scrapped last week, the independent thinktank said the Treasury was going to be left with little option but to break its rule that caps the annual shortfall in spending at 2% of GDP.

Labour has criticised Javid for refusing to publish official budget forecasts by the Office for Budget Responsibility, which are expected to be cancelled along with the budget, knowing they are likely to show the government has breached its deficit rule.

A slowdown in the economy this year following a slump in manufacturing and construction activity has reduced government income by more than £10bn in the next financial year, the report estimated.

Revisions to the treatment of government liabilities, including student loans, many of which are unlikely to be repaid, added a further £19bn to the total deficit. Extra spending commitments on hospitals, police and schools added another £13bn, the report said, increasing the shortfall between income and expenditure since March to £43bn.

Without tax increases or a retreat on spending pledges, the deficit next year was likely to be nearer 3% and possibly higher should Brexit knock GDP growth, hitting government income further.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thanks for the recommendations. It's a new one needed for work, as the current one decided that 4 years of compiling unfeasibly large projects is too much. Poking around at PC part picker, as I usually build my own PCs to save money where possible. It's just been so long since I last did it, I don't have a clue what the best bang for buck is any more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is probably going to be lost amongst the news of an election but:

corbyn magic money tree hitler

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tesseraction posted:

corbyn magic money tree hitler

"Labour can't be trusted with the economy"
*Economy crumbles into ash behind Javid*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1189165176932786177

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Labour can't be trusted with the economy"
*Economy crumbles into ash behind Javid*

Graun Live posted:

OBR to publish new economic forecasts during election so voters can better understand 'fiscal policy options'

One of the joys of an election is the unexpected event that has the potential to derail campaign planning. The 2019 general election was only confirmed (effectively) about two hours ago, but Boris Johnson has already received his first election setback; in a surprise announcement, the Office for Budget Responsibility has announced that it plans to publish revised economic forecasts on 7 November.

Robert Chote, the OBR chair, has revealed this in an open letter to the Treasury (pdf).

Normally the OBR publishes revised economic forecasts twice a year, accompanying the budget and the spring/autumn statement (the timing of the budget determines which it is). Chote says the OBR started working on new forecasts when the Treasury announced a budget for 6 November. But that budget has been cancelled.

There were suspicions that one reason for the cancellation of the budget was that it would involve the government having to publish OBR figures showing that there was less scope for tax cuts and spending increases after the election than the Tories might like to admit. Chote does not address this point directly. But he says that, since the OBR last published a forecast in March, government borrowing has increased more than expected and there has been a “rapid growth” in public spending. He goes on:

quote:

Given the importance of these changes for public understanding of the baseline against which the government will need to judge its fiscal policy options, we believe that it would be useful to explain publicly the impact that they would have had on our March forecast, had they been known at the time.
If any of the parties are planning extravagant promises on tax and spending, the new OBR figures may cast extra doubt on their credibility.

But the OBR analysis is not likely to undermine the arguments in favour of Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal. One report (pdf) has argued it would be much worse for the economy than Theresa May’s deal over the long term. But Chote says that the OBR forecasts only cover a five-year horizon, and that the impact of the new deal, compared to the previous one, would be “relatively modest”.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Michael Gove, the modern day Cassandra

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gidiot... sut da fuk up https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1189168889235673088

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Really going hard on the poultry metaphors

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I hope Corbyn can pull it off.

The election timing might not be ideal, but from an outsider's perspective, I don't see how you can keep going with the status quo. If you go down, go down fighting.

Being able to call elections still blows my mind a bit.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Well if that page is anything to go by she owns.

Yeah I feel a lot better now she's the candidate.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The UK has Very little in the way of building codes for residential properties - they all got abolished by Thatcher (Parker Morris standards). I think there's some rules about bathroom plugs and doors between food prep and making GBS threads places but that's about it.
we do have Building Standards (update due 2021) and the Tolerable Standard. for private tenants there's the Repair Standard, while social tenants in Scotland have SHQS with the main improvements driven by EESSH.

but most domestic statutory obligations are driven by a duty of care more than specific legislation. this is especially true for social housing which is exempt from the Repairing Standard due to having its own regulator and differing standards

if you want a horror story figure out who is responsible for maintaining lifts in residential blocks and what legislation covers it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wachter posted:

Really going hard on the poultry metaphors

Cassowary Corbyn Turns Talons on Bodger Bozza

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
So I spoke to the Lib Dem candidate for my area today and found out that she's a trainee solicitor, owns a lease hold business, and was worried that an election might run into the World Economic Forum in Davos and the skiing season.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

So I spoke to the Lib Dem candidate for my area today and found out that she's a trainee solicitor, owns a lease hold business, and was worried that an election might run into the World Economic Forum in Davos and the skiing season.

I can't tell if this is real or if you spoke a caricature.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is there enough time for that EHRC report to come out and screw Corbyn?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Uhh so is the election going to be on the 9th or the 12th?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brony Car posted:

Is there enough time for that EHRC report to come out and screw Corbyn?

tbh I'm expecting it to be like "ehhh you could have been faster but we found that the Labour Party has robust methods to tackle anti-Semitism within its ranks"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

[extremely eagles of death metal voice] no one knows

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/BarrySheerman/status/1189156782775721984
The demon Seamus strikes again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Chuka Umana posted:

Quality post username combo there

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Cassowary Corbyn Turns Talons on Bodger Bozza

Misread this as Badger Bozza and now I'm imagining Redwall but its about all the animals having their monastary seized by the voletariat.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tesseraction posted:

[extremely eagles of death metal voice] no one knows

That was Queens of the Stone Age

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pretty sure that the threat of Chicken Coup 2: Electric Cluckaloo is just the Labour melts bluffing in a desperate attempt to make Corbyn back out. Blowing up Labour's hopes on the eve of an election would earn them the hatred of the left and even the more Remain focused side of the party would be angry at them for enabling a Tory Brexit. It's a move that only the FBPEs would support.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Junior G-man posted:

If the PLP moves against Corbyn at this moment, they really will be condemning the Labour Party irreparably.

So it's gonna happen then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

That was Queens of the Stone Age

no QOTSA did all my life and stacked actors