Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Rent-A-Cop posted:

TBF they gave clearances to Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden so maybe the IC sucks at its job.

The clearance process does not cover 'do you have a conscience' it's really more about how obviously criminal and/or susceptible to outside influence you are. It's structured to try to find obvious areas that foreign governments can exert influence on people through criminality, financial issues, or family ties. There are a lot of vague loyalty questions so if you're going around telling your neighbors how you're going to screw the US government then you will probably not get a clearance.

e: taxes

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1188860110568738819?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1189163296022302723

WHICH IS IT MARK? Are you questioning them or not!?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Yoo is on Fox this morning calling that one WH staffer who is going to testify a traitor

What a world we live in

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FlamingLiberal posted:

John Yoo is on Fox this morning calling that one WH staffer who is going to testify a traitor

What a world we live in

Is he offering to torture him?

Jows
May 8, 2002

So... is the dog's name being classified a joke? I'm super confused by this whole thing. Some military dog handler guy was on NPR this morning talking about the different roles dogs play in war, and the interviewer asked him if he knew the dog's name, and he said "sorry, we need to protect the identity of the dog." Plain as day, without a laugh or anything.

Am I missing something?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jows posted:

So... is the dog's name being classified a joke? I'm super confused by this whole thing. Some military dog handler guy was on NPR this morning talking about the different roles dogs play in war, and the interviewer asked him if he knew the dog's name, and he said "sorry, we need to protect the identity of the dog." Plain as day, without a laugh or anything.

Am I missing something?

You could potentially link the name of the dog to the handler, and it was a SOF operation.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

The whistleblower process exists in the IC precisely because of Snowden, Manning, and more distantly Ellsberg. You want people to follow proper channels and not exfil information to the NY Times just because it won't get traction anywhere else. This entire Ukraine poo poo is the system working as intended.

To try to say that a member of the NSC might be a foreign agent, when his work is double-checked and consensus-built with others in the IC, is some Qanon-level paranoia that I just can't engage with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taerkar posted:

You could potentially link the name of the dog to the handler, and it was a SOF operation.

Releasing the picture is fine though

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Probably not but Trump gonna Trump

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I find it amusing that Trump keeps questioning why the whistle-blower has "vanished". It's also amusing that his supporters believe this stupidity.

If the government does it's job, a whistle-blower's identity isn't revealed until the investigation reaches a deal or prosecute phase. It's just so blatantly dishonest and it really makes me question if this country is worth saving that so many people buy into this.

This becomes especially important in the IC where whistle-blowers are essentially taking their lives into their own hands.

There was a big federal case a few years ago where a former US attorney left to work for a private firm and began extorting private businesses and selling them the identities of whistle-blowers. That kind of poo poo is why they hide it so hard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 29, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So is the reason why Nunes/his aide hasn’t leaked it to Trump is that it would be completely obvious it was him?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

bobjr posted:

So is the reason why Nunes/his aide hasn’t leaked it to Trump is that it would be completely obvious it was him?

I fully believe that Trump already knows who the whistle-blower(s) is/are and it is so damaging he has to keep acting like he doesn't know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SchrodingersCat posted:

I find it amusing that Trump keeps questioning why the whistle-blower has "vanished". It's also amusing that his supporters believe this stupidity.

If the government does it's job, a whistle-blower's identity isn't revealed until the investigation reaches a deal or prosecute phase. It's just so blatantly dishonest and it really makes me question if this country is worth saving that so many people buy into this.

This becomes especially important in the IC where whistle-blowers are essentially taking their lives into their own hands.

There was a big federal case a few years ago where a former US attorney left to work for a private firm and began extorting private businesses and selling them the identities of whistle-blowers. That kind of poo poo is why they hide it so hard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

It's like every day there's a new concept from Elementary Civics that we suddenly have to either remedially educate half the population about or develop some kind of coping mechanism for the previously unconsidered possibility that nobody, including our elected lawmakers, has any idea what it means.

(Or pretend to have no idea because it's their only option I guess)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/jillpcarter/status/1189126606293364737

Jill Carter is looking to take over for Cummings

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1189172468159864832

Not even a name for this one.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ManBoyChef posted:

Just because the GOP is known for dirty tricks and politically motivated hatchet jobs they assume that the Democrats are doing it to them. The reality is the Democrats are pretty weak and feckless and they basically allow themselves to be walked on. They also don't know how to message anything in a helpful way.

My hope is that the MSM doesn't "neutrality" this or "both sides" this and reports it how it actually is, a conspiracy theory that is trying to get the whistleblower in some trouble be it politically, through work, etc.

The question I have is why do a lot of rightwingers cling to conspiracy theories or try to absolve guilty parties of culpability? Why not just accept reality?

Because reality quite literally has a liberal bias, because almost everything they believe is insane poo poo that has no basis in fact

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

feel bad for the linguistic scholar who's going to spend years trying to understand Trump's use of punctuation and capitalization.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
TIL that Encephalitis can be caused by the Epstein Barr virus.

Which seems oddly on point right about now.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

hellotoothpaste posted:

I'll regret even engaging here, but this bothered me reading it earlier when I had poo poo to do.

This is an unusually common attitude I've experienced as a trans ally straight white guy and it's incredibly toxic. There is a broad spectrum of ally support, some of which is entirely based on what's comfortable to an ally themselves. Not once, after hearing that allies are only selfishly stroking their own ego, have I ever heard a suggestion of what's an acceptable level of support.

Truth is that although we cannot possibly fully understand the struggle some of us care strongly about people that absolutely do. I can't understand why it seems okay to treat those people like dog poo poo for not meeting your invisible standard.

Sorry thread.

An acceptable level of support is providing support without making a show of needing a cookie from the marginalized community, because that makes it all about the ally rather than the community they're supposedly helping. A lot of allies don't know how to help but rather than ask, they just do stupid poo poo that is actually harmful and then get mad when the lgbt community is upset. It's taking yet another issue that isn't theirs and making it all about them.

Also that's not counting the amount of "allies" that are actually posing as such to try and drive a wedge in the lgbt community.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Trump's most liked tweet is going to be a picture of a dog. Seems like there is an animal-psychopath connection somewhere in there. Animals and beautiful babies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

https://twitter.com/DeadlineWH/status/1188939482428530693?s=20

His article from yesterday was good, too.

Basically, Costa, who is probably the best connected reporter on the GOP in DC goes into a lot of detail about how badly senate Rs appraise the situation for Trump. The most notable thing, and a lot of why in retrospect R messaging has been so disjointed is that the white house isn't even really engaging with the senate. Seems that even the senate is starting to believe that there is zero chance that Trump will spontaneously start making the good, practical decisions he would have to to stay in office.

The one thing I'd note about Costa is he's very closely linked to the Paul Ryan wing of the GOP, so he's going to be talking to the senators that are the most "concerned" rather than the wingnuttiest of the wingnuts.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The one thing I'd note about Costa is he's very closely linked to the Paul Ryan wing of the GOP, so he's going to be talking to the senators that are the most "concerned" rather than the wingnuttiest of the wingnuts.

McConnell will never let the Senate kick Trump out because this situation puts Trump entirely in his power.

Mitch McConnell basically controls the entire government outside of the House of Reps.

If Trump ever goes against McConnell, all McConnell has to do is intimate publically that the Senate will kick him out.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1189165193517064192

I can't help but feel the move is highly strategic to limit the soundbite grandstanding from Meadows and Gym. It still has Nunes, but the man sounds like a buffoon every time he opens his mouth and one buffoon is better than a whole clown car of them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oh my goodness, human beings wanting their efforts to be appreciated and/or acting out of ignorance? This is a shocking revelation. How terrible. I never could have imagined a significant number of people behaving in this way.

Seriously though at this point I don't even know what point you've been trying to make in this thread for quite a few pages, but you mostly seem to be angry at everyone for not being paragons of humanity. gently caress, you were even angry at people putting in the exhausting effort of turning those heading down a bad right wing path in a better direction.

What the hell do you even want? Because what you're demanding seems to way beyond what the people actually *in* marginalized groups seem capable of offering, some sort of perfect loyalty and efficacy asking for nothing in return, not even basic solidarity.

Like I get that purely performative advocacy can be annoying but you seem to be going well past that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

McConnell will never let the Senate kick Trump out because this situation puts Trump entirely in his power.

Mitch McConnell basically controls the entire government outside of the House of Reps.

If Trump ever goes against McConnell, all McConnell has to do is intimate publically that the Senate will kick him out.

I have a very low expectation that the Senate will remove Trump, but I think you're looking at this wrong. Voting to remove, or not remove, Trump is a career-defining move. McConnell can try to persuade, but he has no ability to force Senators to vote one way or the other. Even trying to force them (either way) would be a really bad idea, as all it would do is make the Senator angry at McConnell and likely have them throw some sand in some gears somewhere to make clear to McConnell they're not to be bossed around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SirPablo posted:

Trump's most liked tweet is going to be a picture of a dog. Seems like there is an animal-psychopath connection somewhere in there. Animals and beautiful babies.

I thought we'd just finished establishing that the opposite was true

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If anyone wants to watch the CEO of Boeing get nailed by the Senate, here's a link. I'm not sure when the House hearing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIP2Oykvi8M

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

Amazing post/username combo. McConnell can't use his power because using his power would remove his ability to use his power. I don't think even McConnell could convince Trump to change, otherwise Trump would actually be defending himself against impeachment vs. openly welcoming and shambling towards it.

friendbot2000 posted:

I can't help but feel the move is highly strategic to limit the soundbite grandstanding from Meadows and Gym. It still has Nunes, but the man sounds like a buffoon every time he opens his mouth and one buffoon is better than a whole clown car of them.

This seems like an excellent strategic move, actually.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Seriously though at this point I don't even know what point you've been trying to make in this thread for quite a few pages, but you mostly seem to be angry at everyone for not being paragons of humanity. gently caress, you were even angry at people putting in the exhausting effort of turning those heading down a bad right wing path in a better direction.

What the hell do you even want? Because what you're demanding seems to way beyond what the people actually *in* marginalized groups seem capable of offering, some sort of perfect loyalty and efficacy asking for nothing in return, not even basic solidarity.

Like I get that purely performative advocacy can be annoying but you seem to be going well past that.

you're a terrible poster and you should gently caress right off and spare us the faux outrage that a lgbqt person dares ask you to be a decent human being

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh my goodness, human beings wanting their efforts to be appreciated and/or acting out of ignorance? This is a shocking revelation. How terrible. I never could have imagined a significant number of people behaving in this way.

God forbid str8 yt cis people don't get a pat on the back.

Honestly if you need constant validation as an ally you are asking for an unreasonable amount of emotional labor from the people whose oppression you already benefit from. Think about that for a minute.

Changing the world is a thankless loving job as it is, don't expect communities of color and lgbtq people to give you the praise they aren't even getting while being even bigger targets for violence and harassment.

If you are coming into social justice spaces brandishing an allyship flag and complaining because you're not being received the way you want to, perhaps it's because you are doing something wrong!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

I have a very low expectation that the Senate will remove Trump, but I think you're looking at this wrong. Voting to remove, or not remove, Trump is a career-defining move. McConnell can try to persuade, but he has no ability to force Senators to vote one way or the other. Even trying to force them (either way) would be a really bad idea, as all it would do is make the Senator angry at McConnell and likely have them throw some sand in some gears somewhere to make clear to McConnell they're not to be bossed around.

McConnell is at the age where he's probably caring about his legacy and how he's viewed. Removing Trump could be possible if he thinks it will reflect well on his legacy, but most likely he'll never vote to kick him out precisely because it will ruin his legacy among republicans.

This is assuming he cares what the public thinks about him. The answer here is that he doesn't really care. His approval rate in his home state is about 33%. He likes power and will do anything he can to gather more and more power to him.

I don't think that McConnell can credibly threaten Trump. If threatened, Trump will cower for a few days, but he'll eventually fly into a rage about the republicans being backstabbers and deceivers and fake news or whatever. He'll jettison the republicans in order to make whoever is left fully loyal to him.

McConnell can't credibly threaten Trump with leverage or blackmail or strong-arm him in the long term. In the short term, sure, but not the long term because Trump isn't a rational actor and he will mash the betray button as soon as his brainworms demand it of him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mikecherry/status/1189059375861768192?s=20

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

I like how I'm not the only one who responded to that post but I'm the only one you came after. Someone took issue with what I said overnight, and I wanted to respond. It's an online forum, and unfortunately in America, trans rights are inherently political.

I've said quite clearly what I and a lot of other trans people want when it comes to allies, you're just not comprehending. LGBT support is not about the straight allies, it's about the LGBT community. We don't want allies speaking for us, we want to speak for ourselves, because this is our fight, not yours, and poo poo like what you're doing is trying to make it about you. It's gross as hell, and I'm not sure why this is hard to understand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

friendbot2000 posted:

yea basically the plan here is to avoid as much republican "ACTUALLY IS IT NOT TRUE YOU'RE A DEEP STATE JEW WHO HATES FREEDOM AND TRUMP????" hysterics as possible during the questioning and the Judiciary Committee is the best option for it. Nunes is gonna do his poo poo but he's one of the less effective freaks.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

sexpig by night posted:

yea basically the plan here is to avoid as much republican "ACTUALLY IS IT NOT TRUE YOU'RE A DEEP STATE JEW WHO HATES FREEDOM AND TRUMP????" hysterics as possible during the questioning and the Judiciary Committee is the best option for it. Nunes is gonna do his poo poo but he's one of the less effective freaks.

Intel, not judiciary.

content:

quote:

However, there are other key Trump allies on the committee, including ranking member Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) and Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas), a former prosecutor. But some of the other Republican members on the committee, like Reps. Mike Turner of Ohio and Will Hurd of Texas, may be less reliably staunch defenders: Both have expressed concern over Trump’s communications with Ukraine.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reminder, Schiff leads Intel, Nadler leads Judiciary.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1189182093034577925

this strategy that they rolled out is so good that even liz cheney can't support it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1189182093034577925

this strategy that they rolled out is so good that even liz cheney can't support it

we could have a "war room" to coordinate messaging with necessary parties like senate republicans

or we could just throw poo poo at the wall relentlessly and see which poo poo they're willing to eat, that works too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hellotoothpaste posted:

I'll regret even engaging here, but this bothered me reading it earlier when I had poo poo to do.

This is an unusually common attitude I've experienced as a trans ally straight white guy and it's incredibly toxic. There is a broad spectrum of ally support, some of which is entirely based on what's comfortable to an ally themselves. Not once, after hearing that allies are only selfishly stroking their own ego, have I ever heard a suggestion of what's an acceptable level of support.

Truth is that although we cannot possibly fully understand the struggle some of us care strongly about people that absolutely do. I can't understand why it seems okay to treat those people like dog poo poo for not meeting your invisible standard.

Sorry thread.

See, people in the LGBTQ and really any minority community would take this kinda post more seriously if it was just a kinda 'so how can I actually help my local community' and not wrapped in five layers of 'WOW I TRIED SO HARD TO BE A GOOD ALLY BUT YOU MEANIES ARE SCARING ME OFF'

Like, here's a comparison that may work. You know how you think you're 'being treated like dogshit' because a single poster rolled their eyes at performative allyship? Now imagine if instead of one person online it was a huge chunk of society, and instead of making harmless 'ugh do you want a loving gold star or something' posts they were

*checks notes*

demanding you be treated like a second class citizen at best and just outright supporting your death at worst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't really want to wade too far into this argument since it's not my place, but it's worth pointing out that you're talking basic human rights and dignity here. You shouldn't want, need, or expect anything to continue to support that. You aren't generally rewarded for meeting the bare minimums of human decency.