Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you don't want to be tracked, it just means your data is MORE VALUABLE. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

lol forbes reported the shroud as fact. i always forget how lovely forbes is now.

Wait, Forbes was ever good??

SwissArmyDruid posted:

loving greeeeeat, wasn't this the entire loving point of GFE? When enough people aren't installIng GFE because they don't want to be tracked, Nvidia, IT MEANS THEY DON'T WANT TO BE TRACKED.

I swear to god, I have hated the loving Nvidia card in this laptop from day 1.

Tracking has always been part of the main driver/Nvidia Control Panel

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 28, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

loving greeeeeat, wasn't this the entire loving point of GFE? When enough people aren't installIng GFE because they don't want to be tracked, Nvidia, IT MEANS THEY DON'T WANT TO BE TRACKED.

I rename the file in question and go on with my business until the next update and then repeat.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

I rename the file in question and go on with my business until the next update and then repeat.

If you don't want to be tracked, install the DCH driver. GFE has nothing to do with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

1660S reviews are out. Tldr, a 1660ti at the right price.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is a good time to build a budget 1080p system for games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NV have some new features

- ReShade-compatible shader injection built into the driver, albeit with a shader whitelist for competitive games to deter cheating. Non-competitive games can load any shader.
- Sharpening has been moved from GFE/Freestyle to the core driver, and now integrates with the upscaler if playing at non-native res. Works with DX9/10/11/12, with GL/VK coming later.
- Low latency mode out of beta, now works in conjunction with GSync
- HDMI VRR is out of beta

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-gtx-16-series-super-game-ready-driver/

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 29, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Low latency didn't work with GSync so far?

Also what do you mean integrates with the upscaler? If I set a game to a lower resolution, it'll sharpen it, so long it's not exclusive fullscreen (like older games)? I still have a bunch of very recent that change the actual display resolution when they're not set to desktop resolution (first start usually only, until I change things).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also what do you mean integrates with the upscaler?

AMDs CAS algorithm has a mode where it performs scaling and sharpening in a single operation, which preserves edges better than scale-then-sharpen or sharpen-then-scale, I assume that new toggle in NVs version is doing something similar.

That will only apply if you run the game itself at sub-native resolution and let the driver handle upscaling, if you use an in-game resolution scale option then you'll get the engines upscaling followed by the driver sharpening as separate passes.

YMMV on which scaler is better, engines with temporal upscaling will probably beat the drivers scaler since they have more to work with (but might still benefit from a bit of post-sharpening).

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 29, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like that VRR over HDMI only works with Turing

Oh wait, actually no I don't. loving cunts.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like that VRR over HDMI only works with Turing

Oh wait, actually no I don't. loving cunts.

I've heard that using a simple passive displayport to HDMI dongle will be good enough to get freesync from an Nvidia card, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not very sensitive to tearing, so if I don't try it I won't know what I'm missing.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I guess the move to the CP was necessary for the sharpening to work with the upscaling better (?), but otoh it requires you to...use the Nvidia CP. Christ update that monstrosity Nvidia.

1600 Super reviews are in, as expected it can vary significantly by title, the extra memory bandwidth can really help in some bandwidth constrained games (20%+ performance), others just ~5%. One thing that's irked me a bit is at least from the ones I've seen, they compare overclocked performance to stock Ti, when I don't think I've heard of the cheapest Ti not being able to hit 14gbs with memory, it's basically guaranteed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think I'm just gonna use Reshade directly, because Nvidia somehow managed to make setting this up even more difficult.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

ufarn posted:

I think I'm just gonna use Reshade directly, because Nvidia somehow managed to make setting this up even more difficult.
It's nice for DX12 games that Reshade doesn't support (yet), and if the games you like have Freestyle support then it's easy enough to have all the filters available without having to install Reshade for every specific one, plus I'd argue for basic functionality, the UI for Freestyle is easier to work with than Reshade (but RS has far more functionality and performance monitoring of course).

Reshade though will always get the latest version on install from the github repository, and more importantly works with far more games (not just those with freestyle), so this certainly doesn't replace it wholesale.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Have they said exactly what they're collecting?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's nice for DX12 games that Reshade doesn't support (yet), and if the games you like have Freestyle support then it's easy enough to have all the filters available without having to install Reshade for every specific one, plus I'd argue for basic functionality, the UI for Freestyle is easier to work with than Reshade (but RS has far more functionality and performance monitoring of course).

Reshade though will always get the latest version on install from the github repository, and more importantly works with far more games (not just those with freestyle), so this certainly doesn't replace it wholesale.
Freestyle, last I tried it, also disables your style every time you start the game, and for some reason, the Alt+F3 shortcut broke a while ago.

Granted, the proper way to use Nvidia GPUs is to stay on the one driver that works for like three months, but there are just so many annoying variables that I'd rather take the devil I know at this point, even though I've done my darndest to avoid getting into Reshade.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

ufarn posted:

Freestyle, last I tried it, also disables your style every time you start the game, and for some reason, the Alt+F3 shortcut broke a while ago.
works_on_my_system.jpg

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
IIRC you can opt out of the telemetry in the nvidia control panel somewhere (under "Help" I think) but merely not installing GFE does not disable telemetry since at least 2017 or something. If you do have GFE there's also more nuanced opt-out settings in there IIRC. They have to let you opt out for GDPR compliance reasons, so if you want to not be tracked I think it's better to untick some boxes that are actually the supported way of doing it, rather than downloading some repacked driver like it's 2002. :shrug:

edit: hm, no, this seems outdated. It looks like they moved it back into GFE in 2018.

By the way, ironically I think you get better privacy if you create an nvidia account because that makes the data identifiable and thus more sensitive from a legal standpoint. If you log in on privacy.nvidia.com you can set whether you want to allow them to collect game usage data (for recommendation purposes), just crash logs, or nothing.
This is outdated too. As far as I can tell, the current state is that if you don't have GFE they don't track anything. If you do have GFE then you need an account to use that, and then they can track stuff, if you opt-in.

edit the second: for the record, I think nomyth may have been going off memory here, because I have GFE installed and I don't have a nvidia telemetry service at all, nor a nvidia telemetry background process. There is a NVIDIA NetworkService Container, but it's not running. No need for the pitchforks.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 29, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

1660S reviews are out. Tldr, a 1660ti at the right price.

longer tldr from what I've gathered: it's 980ti ~= GTX1070 ~= 1660ti performance at ~$250/125W with turing features like sharpening, full nvenc and integer scaling

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

AlternateAccount posted:

Have they said exactly what they're collecting?

Nvidia Privacy Center posted:

GeForce Experience helps you configure your graphics card for the best gaming and content creation performance, get software updates and new features, such as tools for you to record and broadcast your gameplay, and redeem codes for free games.

To make this happen, we need to know your PC’s hardware, software for gaming and content creation (including settings, usage, and how well they run), GeForce Experience feature usage, and geographical region.

If you opt-in to recommendations, we will show you games, apps, and rewards that you might enjoy. If you opt-in to sharing technical data, you’ll send us error logs to help us find and fix bugs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you have the "send us error logs" option checked (there is a web interface for your GFE account that controls this) and you have a game crash or whatever, if you immediately go to GFE and click "send feedback" then that also gets annotated to your crash reports and possibly draws a higher level of attention. They had me do that when I submitted a support request a while back, annotated with a support ticket ID.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Instead of shuttng down a process, it might still be possible that you can block the outgoing connection in something like NetLimiter. I haven't messed with that though.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
This new HDMI VRR only works with hdmi 2.1 and won’t let you enable the AMD version freesync over hdmi correct?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

B-Mac posted:

This new HDMI VRR only works with hdmi 2.1 and won’t let you enable the AMD version freesync over hdmi correct?

Yes as far as I can tell they're specifically using HDMI 2.1 VRR.

It's also worth noting that the driver enables another 2.1 feature, Auto Low Latency Mode.

4K/60fps HDMI 2.1 VRR on an OLED panel is probably the best gaming experience you can have right now, it's just spectacular.

Note: the LG OLEDs can be overclocked to roughly 67fps, which provides GSync headroom.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

B-Mac posted:

From what Nvidia announced earlier, yes. It is only for 2.1 VRR. So as of right now, basically just the LG OLEDs.

That said, no idea if you could force it on for those freesync TVs like the Samsungs.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I was curious because my portable monitor I use when traveling for work travel only has hdmi ports, no biggie I’ll just stick with the 5700 XT. Thanks for the info.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The nvidia sharpening thats built into the driver control panel works nicely on 1080ti at least.
I don't know how it works but it seems to do a good job of making lower resolution scales look presentable. I am not sure if it's placebo or not.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

It's perfectly cromulent that this data is of use to NVidia. It's unacceptable that there's no opt-out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's just what GFE tracks, what is the driver tracking if you don't install it?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ItBreathes posted:

That's just what GFE tracks, what is the driver tracking if you don't install it?

Apparently, my information posted earlier was out of date: Tracking used to be part of the driver (with an opt-out being located in the Nvidia Control Panel), now moved to GFE.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh hey I guess I know what I'm doing after work

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

ufarn posted:

No?
1.) Download the curated zip file linked from their video (https://youtu.be/lPRPeSjYiq8)
2.) extract into the Ansel Folder
3.) press Alt+F3 ingame.

It’s actually LESS steps than getting Reshade into action lol

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

AlternateAccount posted:

It's perfectly cromulent that this data is of use to NVidia. It's unacceptable that there's no opt-out.

But there is an opt-out - if you use GFE. Without GFE there is no opt-out because there is no data collection in the first place. The claim that the driver itself has a telemetry service was outdated.

If you can show that there is tracking with no opt-out there are some EU regulatory agencies that would be very interested in hearing from you.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question: Should I leave these thermal pads off of the card? Or leave them on?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If a thermal pad isn't touching metal it's a thermal insulator. At that point you're better off having them cooled by a fan.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If a thermal pad isn't touching metal it's a thermal insulator. At that point you're better off having them cooled by a fan.

Well poop. I left them on because the guy on YouTube I was watching left them on. Guess it's easier to take them off than put them on now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well poop. I left them on because the guy on YouTube I was watching left them on. Guess it's easier to take them off than put them on now

If they're touching the metal of the pump/fan bracket, that counts. But if the pads are touching absolutely nothing, it's best to just have a fan blowing on them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If they're touching the metal of the pump/fan bracket, that counts. But if the pads are touching absolutely nothing, it's best to just have a fan blowing on them.

Nope, touching literally nothing. Luckily they're easy to pull off

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nope, touching literally nothing. Luckily they're easy to pull off

They *do* make low-profile heatsink bars with thermal adhesive that could fit under there with room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They *do* make low-profile heatsink bars with thermal adhesive that could fit under there with room to spare.

I'll test without, I've noticed people not doing anything. I'd prefer not having to take it apart again, I'm always paranoid about detaching/reattaching coolers :/