Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Silver Falcon posted:

Unless it's really different for Dark Souls that's... not what that means? Or at least I never interpreted it mean that.

It's like Fashion Hunter (for Monster Hunter). It's not implying that Monster Hunter invented the concept of armor changing your character model, but rather it's means picking your armor for looks, rather than stats.

I would assume the same is true of Fashion Souls, but I haven't played Dark Souls, so I don't know for sure.

That’s exactly what that means. Armor doesn’t really change the gameplay for souls, so dress in something that you think looks cool.

What a weird pet peeve. I have no idea how they arrived at the implication that souls games came up with changing character models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why is product packaging technology so terrible? Either you have those impossible to open hard plastic containers, a ton of those cut-off zip ties that are hard to cut without damaging the product, or the packages with the cardboard backing where you try and peel it off and only get a thin layer, so you have to hack at it with a knife/scissors, also probably damaging the product.

so what gives

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've been cornered into conversations about election results multiple times since our election ended. Once was at work. Why don't people know not to bring these things up if one wants to keep things friendly?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I actually never want to talk about politics with anyone in real life. Unless you have some really interesting information that isn't on the news, I don't care. I don't wish to discuss Trump or whatever, it's such a boring loving subject and I don't want to indulge centrists in their SNL-fueled dumbass anger.

There's a lady at work who will bring him up all smarmy like "so as you might have heard, we have this uh, little thing called Impeachment coming up, lol" and I just want to eat her head. There's this unspoken expectation behind how she says it, like we're all supposed to go "Uh-huh" and sagely nod our heads that's really irritating, lots of people act like that nowadays.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

For me when it comes to politics or religion conversations I goad them into going first and just play the character they want to talk to based on what they say. I freeze up when someone asks me my opinion on something nobody has expressed an opinion about already.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Most people can only talk about those subjects in the same way they talk about Game of Thrones, it occupies the same spot in their dull psyche

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm still waiting for MMA, american football, and larping to finally join together and give me my future favourite sport: organized mass combat.

Just give me two teams of 12 wielding larp weapons and armour on a football field kicking the crap out of eachother with the goal of taking the other team's flag or whatever.

Germany and Australia have you covered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There are also people who still do just straight up medieval combat tournaments. There's even enough of them for the history channel to have a game show dedicated to it.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

"It's not my job to teach you [x]!"

Then how am I supposed to know what the hell you're talking about?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Account McAccount posted:

My knee jerk reaction is to defend this because I get tons of people asking me about being bisexual, only to call me a human being or a transphobe because oops they didnt actually care they just wanted to have their "Aha! Gotcha!" Moment and then get mad when I'm not an rear end in a top hat/ask them if they think bilingual people can only ever speak two languages

If I think someone's not acting in good faith I tell them to just gently caress off and then we end up in the same spot as we would if I put time and effort into explaining. You can always google it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the only time I've ever seen that is a minority saying it after telling someone to stop doing a hurtful thing and then the person responding with some variant of "but whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy is it racist??" or whatever instead of "oh poo poo, sorry."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've been cornered into conversations about election results multiple times since our election ended. Once was at work. Why don't people know not to bring these things up if one wants to keep things friendly?

It's because they like you, and therefore you must have also voted straight ticket R

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Account McAccount posted:

There's a couple different websites on the internet that let you put terms in to search them and teach yourself things by clicking links to read

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can you list a few?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Danaru posted:

My knee jerk reaction is to defend this because I get tons of people asking me about being bisexual, only to call me a human being or a transphobe because oops they didnt actually care they just wanted to have their "Aha! Gotcha!" Moment and then get mad when I'm not an rear end in a top hat/ask them if they think bilingual people can only ever speak two languages

If I think someone's not acting in good faith I tell them to just gently caress off and then we end up in the same spot as we would if I put time and effort into explaining. You can always google it

I can somewhat relate to this. But you can say the exact same thing without seeming dismissive. If you say "It's not my job to explain X", then they just think you are using your views to feel superior or not even bothered to argue your points. Instead you can say something like "If you actually cared about X, you would know YZ before bringing this stuff up with me".

But then again, I understand that people want to blow off some steam once in a while.

Midig has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Midig posted:

I can somewhat relate to this. But you can say the exact same thing without seeming dismissive. If you say "It's not my job to explain X", then they just think you are using your views to feel superior or not even bothered to argue your points. Instead you can say something like "If you actually cared about X, you would know YZ before bringing this stuff up with me".

But then again, I understand that people want to blow off some steam once in a while.

If I think someone's acting in good faith I'm more than happy to discuss it with them. If someone's acting in bad faith, I WANT to seem dismissive because gently caress them. I'm not losing any sleep over someone who wants to debate whether I'm allowed to be bisexual thinking I have no :decorum:.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

What in the absolute gently caress happened to Halloween candy?
I remember receiving large bags of Skittles and big chocolate bars when I went trick or treating as a child wearing a costume my Dad made me.
And now there's this bullshit.

That is a nickel for comparison in the last picture.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Mighty Moltres posted:

What in the absolute gently caress happened to Halloween candy?
I remember receiving large bags of Skittles and big chocolate bars when I went trick or treating as a child wearing a costume my Dad made me.
And now there's this bullshit.

That is a nickel for comparison in the last picture.

that pitiful piece of candy is so small they couldn't even fit the apostrophe S on the wrapper, my god

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Only one Reece

Also maybe I'm younger than you but Hallowe'en candy was always small

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Only one Reece

Also maybe I'm younger than you but Hallowe'en candy was always small

Yeah but not THAT small. Now it seems like (based on what I see in the stores anyway) you're extremely lucky to get a half-size bar, where back when I did it only the lame houses gave out half size and it was always a race to get to the full size bar houses before they run out. Now it's pretty much all "fun size" candy for ants. There's nothing "fun" about that size.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that size is the only size I've ever known. And I can't complain cuz being an adult who has to pay money for candy if I want to participate in trick-or-treating, I can't exactly afford to give every kid a full-size candy. If I could I would, that would be awesome, but it'd be comparatively a lot of money on candy that could go to, you know, rent.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Oct 29, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah size is the only size I've ever known. And I can't complain cuz being an adult who has to pay money for candy if I want to participate in trick-or-treating, I can't exactly afford to give every kid a full-size candy. If I could I would, that would be awesome, but it'd be comparatively a lot of money on candy that could go to, you know, rent.

Just do what my grandparents do - buy a ton of the full size bags when it's on sale super cheap after halloween is over, stick it in a cupboard somewhere and give it out next year when it's good and stale.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
In October, Costco usually has the 30 packs of large bars on sale for 10 bucks. 33 cents a kid. There's big bars at my house this year and every year. 20 bucks for two packs is usually enough for the traffic in my neighborhood.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
It's my first year in my new home, in a residential area in a proper little village, after living in a rural area without neighbors and so without many trick-or-treaters. I have no idea how many trick-or-treaters to expect here and I have crippling social anxiety making it difficult for me to approach a neighbor to ask them unless I just happen to see one when we both just happen to be outside (I can speak to them, but I can't bring myself to knock on a door and bother them for this information, you know?)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Time to join nextdoor

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah that size is the only size I've ever known. And I can't complain cuz being an adult who has to pay money for candy if I want to participate in trick-or-treating, I can't exactly afford to give every kid a full-size candy. If I could I would, that would be awesome, but it'd be comparatively a lot of money on candy that could go to, you know, rent.

When I was growing up there were like two whole houses that had the full sized bars, everything else was fun sized. There was one house that would let you take a spoon full of their pocket change though. That Reece is a little small though.

The big thing I've noticed that's irritating me for Halloween this year is the lack of Halloween specific variations. Last year we had a bunch of Halloween shapes, including Butterfinger Skulls and those loving owned. This year there's nothing but Recce's in the shape of bats and pumpkins, everything else is just fun sized in standard fun sized packages. They're not even Halloween themed wrappers, it's just the stock wrappers you can get year round

It's loving Halloween give me spoopy shaped candy.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Bigger peeve: people calling it a ruh-SEE cup.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lotion Tester posted:

Is that a thing?? I've heard 'ree-sees' which is also wrong but not 'ruh-see'

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Lotion Tester posted:

What troglodyte-infested warren do you live in where they call “ree” as “ruh”?

E;fb

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My roommate can't pay rent, but she spends 90 dollars on her nails.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What troglodyte-infested warren do you live in where they call “ree” as “ruh”?

They don't look at the letters in the word.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My roommate can't pay rent, but she spends 90 dollars on her nails.

“Help me afford rent”
“Spend less on nails”
“No”

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some people do 'trunk or treat' things where they go to a huge empty parking lot and park in a circle while the kids go from trunk to trunk to get candy. It sounds like they are trying to still trick or treat but only with people in their little insular communities that they can 'trust'. It makes me sad, even though in the end there is still candy to be had. Halloween traditionalism!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

A friend tried to tell me those are for rural communities where the houses are too far apart and also in response to a candy poisoning case or something idk if it's in a suburb then yeah get that poo poo out of there

General peeve: parents not letting kids take risks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cinni posted:

Some people do 'trunk or treat' things where they go to a huge empty parking lot and park in a circle while the kids go from trunk to trunk to get candy. It sounds like they are trying to still trick or treat but only with people in their little insular communities that they can 'trust'. It makes me sad, even though in the end there is still candy to be had. Halloween traditionalism!!

I mean it makes sense if you're miles away from your nearest neighbor, but otherwise what is the point? In a proper Trick or Treating session, a parent or guardian is accompanying the children and preventing them from being abducted I guess

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Religious families in 'rough neighborhoods' who don't love thy neighbors enough to trust them not to poison the children or give out satanic tracts at the doorstep of course. Being rural makes a lot more sense, but around here Ive usually seen in from super insular folks who want to personally vet every trick and every treat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

General peeve: parents not letting kids take risks

Fuckin same

cinni has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Oct 29, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Not a peeve, just a Halloween tip: give out anything other than candy. Candy on Halloween is unremarkable, but last year I gave out glowsticks and flashlights that were $5 for a 20 pack and all of the kids loved that poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lotion Tester posted:

Not a peeve, just a Halloween tip: give out anything other than candy. Candy on Halloween is unremarkable, but last year I gave out glowsticks and flashlights that were $5 for a 20 pack and all of the kids loved that poo poo.

but you also gave out candy right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah were I grew up (the asscrack of the US southwest, we had towns and neighborhoods but were surrounded by nothing) those parking lot trick or treat things were exclusively the domain of the ultraconservative turboanglo lily white protestant churches.

Rural families not in that demographic just drove into town, parked, and hit up the neighbourhoods with the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Alright Jimmy, you can only go to one house tonight, so pick wisely where you want to get your candy from."

"Oh boy, this house looks cool! I bet they will have really good candy!!"

"Here's your flashlight, happy halloween!"

:saddowns: