Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That fold-in collection is a gem!

I scanned a homebrewing manual from 1965, before homebrewing was legal in the US.

PDF of the entire thing available here.

It's extremely British and the recipes are loose approximations compared to some modern brewing recipes, but honestly maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I found this book at an estate sale in Philadelphia a few years ago. It’s a first edition of John Bauer’s Basta. The entirety of the text is in Swedish but I bought it because of the beautiful fantasy illustrations. I later came to find out that John Bauer was kind of a big deal. There are a few of these books listed for sale online for a couple hundred dollars but as you can see mine is in pretty bad condition. Luckily the illustrations are unharmed.

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
Okay, so not a physical find, but an audiobook I stumbled across through my local library, which I just needed to rush home to share before I tracked it down in print.

The Casca series by Barry Sadler (the man responsible for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjkeXKPQOI) follows a fictionalized version of Longinus, the Roman soldier who pierced Christ's side with his spear, named here Casca Rufio Longinus. The catch is that in doing so he is cursed by Jesus to be an undying soldier until the Second Coming a la the "Wandering Jew", and must spend the next several millennia participating in basically every major conflict and war.

I cannot stress how loving weird this is. I listened to the first book in the series entitled The Eternal Mercenary which I honestly will not spoil for you. I was so enthralled I found housework and errands to run so I could just continue to listen to it for eight straight hours, beginning to end. It combines Richard Stark's Parker series, Robert E. Howard's Conan, and a Classics textbook, with an unfortunate helping of casual racism. As straight as the book was probably supposed to be written, it reads like a parody at points like when the Judean guards start talking like New York cops about "finding a stiff" by the Temple of Mars, or calling Herrod a "fat fart".

If you like weird action/adventure fiction, you'll probably find this worthwhile. If not for any other reason than the novelty, but I know I will probably keep coming back to the audiobooks for those long commutes.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That fold-in collection is a gem!

I scanned a homebrewing manual from 1965, before homebrewing was legal in the US.

PDF of the entire thing available here.

It's extremely British and the recipes are loose approximations compared to some modern brewing recipes, but honestly maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Hmmmm, I have been thinking about becoming a beer baron...

On that note, I wonder if there are any good books on how to make pruno/ prison hooch? There must be. I probably have one on my shelves somewhere. I'll have to look into that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I found this book at an estate sale in Philadelphia a few years ago. It’s a first edition of John Bauer’s Basta. The entirety of the text is in Swedish but I bought it because of the beautiful fantasy illustrations. I later came to find out that John Bauer was kind of a big deal. There are a few of these books listed for sale online for a couple hundred dollars but as you can see mine is in pretty bad condition. Luckily the illustrations are unharmed.

This is beautiful. I love old hardcovers when they used the high quality art plates for color printing. They are suitable for framing if the binding ever falls apart completely.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

Okay, so not a physical find, but an audiobook I stumbled across through my local library, which I just needed to rush home to share before I tracked it down in print.

The Casca series by Barry Sadler (the man responsible for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjkeXKPQOI) follows a fictionalized version of Longinus, the Roman soldier who pierced Christ's side with his spear, named here Casca Rufio Longinus. The catch is that in doing so he is cursed by Jesus to be an undying soldier until the Second Coming a la the "Wandering Jew", and must spend the next several millennia participating in basically every major conflict and war.

I cannot stress how loving weird this is. I listened to the first book in the series entitled The Eternal Mercenary which I honestly will not spoil for you. I was so enthralled I found housework and errands to run so I could just continue to listen to it for eight straight hours, beginning to end. It combines Richard Stark's Parker series, Robert E. Howard's Conan, and a Classics textbook, with an unfortunate helping of casual racism. As straight as the book was probably supposed to be written, it reads like a parody at points like when the Judean guards start talking like New York cops about "finding a stiff" by the Temple of Mars, or calling Herrod a "fat fart".

If you like weird action/adventure fiction, you'll probably find this worthwhile. If not for any other reason than the novelty, but I know I will probably keep coming back to the audiobooks for those long commutes.

I think someone may have brought these books up earlier in the thread, but I'm glad you reminded me about them. I want to check out this series, but I have such a tremendous backlog in my "to read" pile that I've had to hit the brakes on my book buying unless it's a deal too good to pass up. My dumb job takes up way too much valuable reading time. Curse you, capitalism!!

Anyway, that reminds me that Mormons (or Latter Day Saints, as they vainly call themselves) believe that John the Apostle never died and is still alive roaming the Earth. I might be a little late, but happy 2,000th birthday, Johnny-boy!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 7, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Speaking of deals I couldn't pass up, I can't turn down a deal on a title from Holloway House I've never read:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This is beautiful. I love old hardcovers when they used the high quality art plates for color printing. They are suitable for framing if the binding ever falls apart completely.

My parents have a small antiques business as a hobby in retirement. They say a common practice is for dealers to butcher books for frameable prints regardless of condition.

That's never set well with me...seems vaguely sacrilegious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought an older (1910s I think) big-rear end history book once just for the really exquisite colour plates of art (colours are like 40000 times more vibrant than I've ever seen in a more recent book or, of course, via a display of any sort) but I kind of regret it because I'm never going to hang them up on the walls because the book is in decent nick.

I look at them every few years and contemplate the 10€ I could've saved.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib

Pershing posted:

My parents have a small antiques business as a hobby in retirement. They say a common practice is for dealers to butcher books for frameable prints regardless of condition.

Same thing with maps - the majority of older maps weren’t issued separately, rather in atlases or travel guides which were later pieced out which is a bit of a shame.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Same thing with maps - the majority of older maps weren’t issued separately, rather in atlases or travel guides which were later pieced out which is a bit of a shame.

Pershing posted:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought an older (1910s I think) big-rear end history book once just for the really exquisite colour plates of art (colours are like 40000 times more vibrant than I've ever seen in a more recent book or, of course, via a display of any sort) but I kind of regret it because I'm never going to hang them up on the walls because the book is in decent nick.

I look at them every few years and contemplate the 10€ I could've saved.

Just to be clear, I also think cutting up books is a mortal sin. I have more than one held together with duct tape and/ or industrial staples. Most of my philosophy, religion, and ancient history books are filled with underlines in blue pencil and marginal notes in pen. I expect to keep those until my dying day. I try to keep my fiction, music, special interest, and other rare books in decent shape in case I ever want to trade/ sell them.

That being said, I often see the prints from those art books being sold separately, and they do look good that way. Some books can't be saved, so I'd rather have the contents used in another way rather than have the whole thing discarded. The only book I've ever proudly dumped in a recycling bin was a first edition of Atlas Shrugged. That's the worst book I've ever read.

People cut up old magazines and sell the ads individually too. Old magazines used to be super easy to find for cheap/ free, but that is changing fast. They're starting to get rare and expensive.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Turns out you can make fortunes by stealing the maps and illustrations out of rare books in the library. All you need is a razor or a wet piece of string:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/10/17/a-theft-in-the-library/amp

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Two more of those dumb old grocery store checkout line impulse booklets that I love so much:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Better World Books shopper spotted.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Known Lecher posted:

I can't discriminate when it comes to Cute Cat Tales.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

I've always had good luck with their stuff but I wish they'd remove the tag before shipping.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I've always had good luck with their stuff but I wish they'd remove the tag before shipping.

I have ripped the text off of more than one old paperback from Thriftbooks when trying to remove their spine stickers. At least those Better World Books back cover tags are pretty easy to remove.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Psychic cats? Holy poo poo, I need to bring this back to work so I can scan that part!!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I have ripped the text off of more than one old paperback from Thriftbooks when trying to remove their spine stickers. At least those Better World Books back cover tags are pretty easy to remove.

You gotta try the zippo fluid trick for those labels. It's magic.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

You gotta try the zippo fluid trick for those labels. It's magic.

I do want to try that.

On the other hand, I have so many books in my apartment that I don't like bringing flammable liquids anywhere near my shelves!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I do want to try that.

On the other hand, I have so many books in my apartment that I don't like bringing flammable liquids anywhere near my shelves!

Goo gone works also, and that isn't designed to burn. I understand your apprehension, though! It's just my vendetta against residual adhesives.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
You can use an eraser to get rid of left over lable goo but not on older books with foxed covers I suspect.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I appreciate the recently-posted advice for getting rid of those god damned ThriftBooks spine labels, as there are about eleventy thousand books in my house defiled by them and after Baby's First Attempt at peeling them off, I quickly said "gently caress it."

Could be a nice project for a cold weekend morning in the next couple months.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The big flea market down the road has some café tables near the door and there's always one or two professional or would-be professional buyers sitting there behind metre-high stacks of records, comics, and/or books, armed with a twelve-pack of Ronsonol and depression.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

The big flea market down the road has some café tables near the door and there's always one or two professional or would-be professional buyers sitting there behind metre-high stacks of records, comics, and/or books, armed with a twelve-pack of Ronsonol and depression.

:finland:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In searching for one of my many white whales, I discovered this book on archive.org and it's absolutely bonkers (and I mean that as a compliment). There's way, way too much good stuff to post, so I just grabbed random samples (right after I ordered a used copy):

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up a new book from Hard Case Crime:

And a novelization of a stupid movie that I find funny, written by a prolific Hard Case Crime author:

Also, two more assuredly terrible novels from the author of SOLDIER OF FORTUNE MAGAZINE PRESENTS: THE CULT CRUSHERS

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I found a set of the legendary Pagan Invasion videos:

The seller tossed in this magazine and told me to be sure to read it. I haven't yet, but I will.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are you just using a flatbed scanner to get these photos?

Edit: how does someone with a name like "Matriciana" claim England as their "motherland"

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 21, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Heath posted:

Are you just using a flatbed scanner to get these photos?

Yeah, I'm using the photocopier/ scanner in my work office.

Heath posted:

Edit: how does someone with a name like "Matriciana" claim England as their "motherland"

I don't know, but she's the co-host of all of the Pagan Invasion videos, and she sure sounds British to my American ears. Also crazy.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

bweep boop! posted:

It took me a bit to figure out why that cover was familiar. There was a photoshop thread for that series a few years back, immortalized here and here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

And no instructions for capturing farts? Does this book not understand its true purpose?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
sniffing, 20

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm the index that includes both "air" and "air molecules", and "garlic" and "garlic molecules" like a middle schooler trying to pad out a 2-page essay with a bunch of fluff.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Only for the likes of Carl H. Yaeger - profoundly square, yet bloodthirsty in a horny way that is not-entirely-successfully sublimated - is "Brenton Massingale" a tough, All-American, revenge-gettin' name.

new for 1963... the "Brenton" sectional sofa, by Massingale

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are all his protagonists senators?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Are all his protagonists senators?

No, no, this one gets elected President.

On waves of outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The following are some selections from the Kobolds Institute of Hobo Studies.

Confuse a Rubber Tramp with a Ding at your own peril.

Can't lie, I definitely want to be friends with anybody named Reefer Charlie.

Lots of cool photos in here; it's definitely a book that some jagoff would cut up and part out to sell on etsy.

If moonshining isn't a hobo skill, it's at least a hobo-adjacent one. And I like that kind of recycling, too.

Sincere apologies for my landlord's taste in carpet and my slapdash cropping efforts.