Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In NGU Idle is there a way to make your basic training faster that I'm missing, or is that a more end game thing? I'm currently around Boss 47 or so, and just doing rebirths to get my basic training energy costs to zero. Seems very slow, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a mechanic that I have access to right now.

Also what should I put my XP into? I'm at 140k energy and 350/energy sec but things seem to have slowed down significantly for me.

You can reduce energy costs for Basic Training skills up to 10% for each rebirth - if you hover and the number is green it'll also say (maximum reduction for this rebirth) - you get it by having about 11,000 levels in that skill. If you keep doing 1-hr rebirths it'll come in time. You'll find yourself saying "Meh, 10k energy isn't that much" long before your skill caps all get down to 1.

Pushing adventure zones is how you unlock a lot of the new features, so don't neglect that.

Energy Cap * Energy Power is your total effective power - so don't neglect energy cap too. The 350energy /sec does nothing once you're capped for the rebirth (for now)

Magic is expensive but necessary too - blood magic is a good way to scale up your number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Devor posted:

You can reduce energy costs for Basic Training skills up to 10% for each rebirth - if you hover and the number is green it'll also say (maximum reduction for this rebirth) - you get it by having about 11,000 levels in that skill. If you keep doing 1-hr rebirths it'll come in time. You'll find yourself saying "Meh, 10k energy isn't that much" long before your skill caps all get down to 1.

Pushing adventure zones is how you unlock a lot of the new features, so don't neglect that.

Energy Cap * Energy Power is your total effective power - so don't neglect energy cap too. The 350energy /sec does nothing once you're capped for the rebirth (for now)

Magic is expensive but necessary too - blood magic is a good way to scale up your number.

It's been a while since I've played the early phases, but I remember that Magic, and many other mechanics took a while before they were actually useful.
Make sure to be vocal about where you get stuck or what's difficult early on, end-game players aren't the only people who count, so either let's figure out how to get over difficult parts, or let the dev know what's overly difficult.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In NGU Idle is there a way to make your basic training faster that I'm missing, or is that a more end game thing? I'm currently around Boss 47 or so, and just doing rebirths to get my basic training energy costs to zero. Seems very slow, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a mechanic that I have access to right now.

Also what should I put my XP into? I'm at 140k energy and 350/energy sec but things seem to have slowed down significantly for me.

you probably will want to start increasing energy, so you can feed the time machine, and use it to buy more augmentations while using magic to increase your number

after that, probably should start spending EXP on increasing your adventure mode capability, since you're at the point where you need to start improving gear for later encounters

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

At the rate you get EXP at that point, you won't really make much of a dent in adventure mode stats. Better to spend it on energy and magic, and then in turn let that magic work for you by getting adventure mode stats from iron pill.

I found adventure mode stats to be much more of an "oh hey, this is actually decent now" EXP buy, around the time I started getting 24 hour exp fruit.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Energy and Magic never stop being useful while adventure stats have better sources than XP spends. Just keep feeding XP into Energy or Magic when it feels useful + the extras. Never spend XP on adventure stats.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Vil posted:

At the rate you get EXP at that point, you won't really make much of a dent in adventure mode stats. Better to spend it on energy and magic, and then in turn let that magic work for you by getting adventure mode stats from iron pill.

I found adventure mode stats to be much more of an "oh hey, this is actually decent now" EXP buy, around the time I started getting 24 hour exp fruit.

I didn't buy any until end of evil, and only then so I could hurry up and hit sadistic

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The game becomes unplayable after Boss 100. Doctor Wahwee is misspelled in the first paragraph.

It'd be great if there was a micro-button that displayed a log of all recent tooltip messages because some of them fly by so fast...

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

The game becomes unplayable after Boss 100. Doctor Wahwee is misspelled in the first paragraph.

It'd be great if there was a micro-button that displayed a log of all recent tooltip messages because some of them fly by so fast...

The tool tip log is under info and stuff.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

fez_machine posted:

The tool tip log is under info and stuff.

Egg on my face. Thanks!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vil posted:

I didn't mean adventure mode stats, I meant more or less the miscellaneous tab.

so you can merge and boost stuff so you're ready for the titans

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 27, 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

fez_machine posted:

Energy and Magic never stop being useful while adventure stats have better sources than XP spends. Just keep feeding XP into Energy or Magic when it feels useful + the extras. Never spend XP on adventure stats.

I bought adventure stats and it was cool and good.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So what energy and magic ratio is best for entering evil? I think I’m ready to dip my toes in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What is the respawn hardcap? 1 second? Does the Sadistic NGU mean we can take off respawn gear finally?
Im at 1,06 second respawn now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

0 seconds is the cap, but there is a 1 second attack timer after the spawn timet so 1s spawn is 2s per kill so you get some pretty heavy diminishing returns past 1s respawn and what I've personally settled on.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So what energy and magic ratio is best for entering evil? I think I’m ready to dip my toes in.

I think I was 3:1 and working towards 1:1

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

In case anyone still hasn't tried it, NGU is real good and you totally should spend all your time watching these numbers go up over other numbers in other lesser games.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
A lot of us have been playing for over a year, there's a ton of content

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm feeling kinda bored with it personally. At around the time when you finally can kill Uug but before you have him on autokill it feels like there's nothing to do but very very slowly build up beards and adventure NGUs for days. Maybe it's just my own personal taste, and it feels weird to say this, but I like the more 'active' idle games where you're basically always doing something that FEELS like progress. Right now I'm mostly watching two very slow multipliers climb up to a point where I might be able to make a leap again. Kinda dull. But that's just my opinion and personal taste in idlers I suppose.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Incremental Adventure just updated to add a new prestige meta-layer 'Ascension'.

quote:

OCT 25, 2019 1:02PM
The Ascension update is here!
- It offers a secondairy prestige mechanic called ascension, allowing you to progress to whole new levels (and numbers), at the cost of resetting your prestige layers
- It comes with a new experience multiplier working as followed: x(10^^(Prestige layer reached)^^(upgrades on ascension layer)) (this last part repeats through ascension layers). Of course, this stacks with all other multipliers
- Three new gameplay unlocks (per ascension layer): Improved floorskipper, Improved soft-prestige and Improved floorskipper scaling. These improve and scale upon existing prestige upgrades
- Ascension also provides perk points, which can be spend on quality of life improvements such as automating how prestige progression works
- Two new leaderboard stats were added: “Highest Ascension Layer” and “Fastest Ascension in milliseconds”
- Tip: for those of you that unlock ascension directly after loading the update, I’d advise giving your run one big push to maximize your claimable points

You know, for like, if you're getting bored with NGU.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merijn posted:

Incremental Adventure just updated to add a new prestige meta-layer 'Ascension'.

I check into this every once in a while cause it's fun and the dev keeps adding stuff. At which layer does ascension activate?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Merijn posted:

Are those actually two up arrows or is that a formatting thing, because now I really want a game that just goes absolutely ham with up-arrow notation.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GrossMurpel posted:

I check into this every once in a while cause it's fun and the dev keeps adding stuff. At which layer does ascension activate?

Prestige Layer 20, I believe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Merijn posted:

I am pretty bored right now so might as well try, wonder if it still breaks when your stats are too big

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm feeling kinda bored with it personally. At around the time when you finally can kill Uug but before you have him on autokill it feels like there's nothing to do but very very slowly build up beards and adventure NGUs for days. Maybe it's just my own personal taste, and it feels weird to say this, but I like the more 'active' idle games where you're basically always doing something that FEELS like progress. Right now I'm mostly watching two very slow multipliers climb up to a point where I might be able to make a leap again. Kinda dull. But that's just my opinion and personal taste in idlers I suppose.

It sounds like we may just have different tastes in idle games and that's cool but I will say there are definitely spots like that in NGU that I've gone through too that I was thinking about giving it up because nothing was happening, but after a while I break through by getting a piece of new gear or unlock a new mechanic and then everything kind of snowballs for a while. It's like this door opens up that has always been there but locked since I've been playing and it makes things new and fresh again. I think NGU starts out more active and as you progress further becomes much more passive as you start doing 24hr runs and have to micromanage less systems, so I can definitely see where someone looking for a more active experience may lose steam around this point.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are those actually two up arrows or is that a formatting thing, because now I really want a game that just goes absolutely ham with up-arrow notation.

Yeah it has some funky notation if you get beyond e100000 I think. My level regularly looks like e1.6e8 or something. :getin:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What idle game has the largest numbers? It honestly feels like there’s still plenty of unexplored wild math territory out there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Someone make Graham's idler

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Someone make Graham's idler

Too small.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Obviously you should call the large number idle game Busy Beaver

okay there's my contribution someone go make it now

edit: lmao I love how tiny the superscripts get on the Wikipedia page, even for a number "only" as small as 10^10^10^10^18705353

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 28, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Pigbuster posted:

What idle game has the largest numbers? It honestly feels like there’s still plenty of unexplored wild math territory out there.

Antimatter Dimensions goes over infinite several times, probably that

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Samuringa posted:

Antimatter Dimensions goes over infinite several times, probably that

infinite would likely just be a simple 1e308 or so, which if you use Big Int or a custom number (say keep I dunno 12 significant places and then store the exponent in another variable) you can get much higher since even if they hit infinite 10 times it'd only be 1e3080, nowhere near as large as incremental adventure which is using a custom number system because the dev can't balance anything and nothing interesting happens in that game other than seeing numbers hit 1e1e9 (1e1,000,000,000).

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Most people start working towards 1:1 around that point, but you can always drop back out of Evil if it feels like too much of a wall for you.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

cum calamity posted:

Most people start working towards 1:1 around that point, but you can always drop back out of Evil if it feels like too much of a wall for you.

If you can idle in evilverse you should go evil. Although the new hotness is skipping it for ppp I think

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

I am pretty bored right now so might as well try, wonder if it still breaks when your stats are too big

One day and the Prestige is already broken, the _ Floors From Death from layers 2 and 3 somehow nullified the whole thing and I begin from Floor 1 anyway.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Probably a day late and a dollar short, but a few weeks ago I gave it a shot, and I've fallen down the dark rabbit hole known as NGU.

Definitely not making this post just so 4G knows I'm an active goon, in order to get free NGU stuff. Nope!

UScr00ge fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 29, 2019

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

UScr00ge posted:

Probably a day late and a dollar short, but a few weeks ago I gave it a shot, and I've fallen down the dark rabbit hole known as NGU.

Definitely not making this post just so 4G knows I'm an active goon, in order to get free NGU stuff. Nope!

its never too late to find a new thing you enjoy, or to grovel.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

UScr00ge posted:

I'm beginning to think this might be some sort of marketing gimmick on Something's part

That crafty capitalist

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I should bug Something about the free pack, but eh, that's too much like effort. That seems counter the point of this thread.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

I should bug Something about the free pack, but eh, that's too much like effort. That seems counter the point of this thread.

yeah

ita mostly replaced my old kingdom of loathing fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

yeah

ita mostly replaced my old kingdom of loathing fix

There's a KoL reference boss in NGU! Our boy thought of everything.