Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
There's something in episode 2 that I saw apparently incorrectly according to random online recaps:

When Topher is playing with the castle toy, I took the floating as evidence that he is a psychic, which works with Sister Night's reaction to when Will says he's a psychic. But everyone else seems to think the toy itself was just some floating toy.

Am I totally off base here? Or did others think the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I assumed it was a toy, but didn't discount the other possibility.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Both are distinct possibilities at this point. The show is obviously not going to give us everything at once.

I really wish it was bingeable.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I assumed psychic myself, ESPECIALLY with the way it crashes down into pieces at the end of that section which mimics the footage we saw of John building sandcastles on mars. John also dashes his to bits at the end.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I guess it wasn’t definitively clear but it looked to me like it was hovering over some kind of magnetic metal platform.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm confused, why are you guys even talking about the Third Reich? The Germans in the opening scene were from WW1, there's a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm on the wall behind the guy's desk, and the flier the guy catches is the same one he wrote the note on, 'watch over this boy', during the Tulsa Race Riot which happened in 1921, long before the Nazis.

vvv Ah sorry, I haven't read the book in ages and remember very little about it.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 29, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Family Values posted:

I'm confused, why are you guys even talking about the Third Reich? The Germans in the opening scene were from WW1, there's a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm on the wall behind the guy's desk, and the flier the guy catches is the same one he wrote the note on, 'watch over this boy', during the Tulsa Race Riot which happened in 1921, long before the Nazis.

They’re not talking about that scene, they’re talking about a line from the watchmen comics regarding Hooded Justice.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Family Values posted:

There is a theory about who Will is. If the theory is correct, based on supplemental material in Watchmen (lengthy excerpts from an in-world autobiography of Hollis Mason, the first Nite Owl), he ended up being pro-third reich...until Pearl Harbor. Will's possession of that note from a young age and seeing firsthand the Black Wall Street Massacre is a plausible setup of that.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

DividedFrame posted:

Don't miss the news clipping on Peteypedia, it explains that Judd Crawford served in Vietnam under Robert Mueller - yes, that one.

That's interesting because the name Mueller comes up twice in the episode. The German woman who takes the officers dictation is named Mueller as is the dead man at the beginning of hero story.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Speaking of, I wonder what Donald J Trump is up to in this timeline

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Colonel Whitey posted:

After Redfordations? Probably had a coronary and died.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I binged both episodes last night and I have a dumb theory for Jeremy Irons character using characters from The Good Place to explain it.

Manhattan is Janet.

Jeremy Irons is Derek.

Butlers/Maids are Irons attempt to act like Manhattan but because he's not as good as Manhattan they all look the same and are dumb.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hopefully the Institute for Interspatial Studies had a prime location near Trump Tower.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RFX posted:

There's something in episode 2 that I saw apparently incorrectly according to random online recaps:

When Topher is playing with the castle toy, I took the floating as evidence that he is a psychic, which works with Sister Night's reaction to when Will says he's a psychic. But everyone else seems to think the toy itself was just some floating toy.

Am I totally off base here? Or did others think the same?

I wondered which it was during the episode. My thinking is that it's meant to be foreshadowing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zoracle Zed posted:

...are you serious?

Goons being sheltered as gently caress isn't some radical notion.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

KoRMaK posted:

"Im not a Nazi, I'm a communist" a sentiment I unfortunately only would have understood thanks to recent real world movements

Angelae hugs the sheriff as she lets him down. She's taking the opportunity to hug one more time... But on the down low

i love this post a lot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am pretty confident Topher was playing with a magnetic toy, couldn't you hear the pieces snap together?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Arist posted:

I am pretty confident Topher was playing with a magnetic toy, couldn't you hear the pieces snap together?

Not only that, as soon as he shoves it and it’s no longer above the pad it falls apart while it falls to the floor. It seems like the pad projects some sort of magnetic field.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

w...wow :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I really wish it was bingeable.

Wait 2 months.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I need a bigger font than this forum provides to type a yikes big enough for that post

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

I mean have you never even heard of World War 2?

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

This is confirming my suspicions that the people who like this show are utterly baby-brained.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm not sure what the point was of this episode's title. I mean, yes, they show the eponymous painting, and the Comanches were famously amazing battle riders. But the significance of the title in regards of the episode ... I don't get it.

Fake edit: Here's what the artist George Catlin has to say about the painting: “Amongst their feats of riding, there is one that has astonished me more than anything of the kind I have ever seen, or expect to see, in my life:---a stratagem of war, learned and practiced by every young man in the tribe; by which he is able to drop his body upon the side of his horse at the instant he is passing, effectually screened from his enemies’ weapons as he lays in a horizontal position behind the body of his horse, with his heel hanging over the horses' back; by which he has the power of throwing himself up again, and changing to the other side of the horse if necessary. In this wonderful condition, he will hang whilst his horse is at fullest speed, carrying with him his bow and his shield, and also his long lance of fourteen feet in length, all or either of which he will wield upon his enemy as he passes; rising and throwing his arrows over the horse's back, or with equal ease and equal success under the horse's neck.”

Um... neat?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zoracle Zed posted:

This is confirming my suspicions that the people who like this show are utterly baby-brained.

Thanks for lumping us all in with one really dumb guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KoRMaK posted:

Lmao holy loving poo poo, this post is a masterpiece

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mirage posted:

I'm not sure what the point was of this episode's title. I mean, yes, they show the eponymous painting, and the Comanches were famously amazing battle riders. But the significance of the title in regards of the episode ... I don't get it.

The name of the episode is "Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship", but the painting is called "Comanche Feats of Martial Horsemanship".

Here are some lines I found in the Wikipedia article for The Battle of the Little Bighorn

"The only documented and verified survivor of Custer's command (having been actually involved in Custer's part of the battle) was Captain Keogh's horse, Comanche."

"Comanche was reputed to be the only survivor of the Little Bighorn, but quite a few Seventh Cavalry mounts survived."

Little Bighorn seems to be the code word for crimes attributed to the Seventh Kavalry. Comanche the horse was supposedly the only survivor of an attack perpetrated by the Custer's Seventh Cavalry at Little Bighorn. Judd survived the White Night, almost all others did not. The Seventh Kavalry was supposed to be wiped out, but some indeed survived. Judd was also probably Seventh Kavalry himself. The painting/title is important because Judd is Comanche, the one who survived but also perpetrated the atrocity and thinks himself hot poo poo for his martial feats. And now Pore Jud is Daid,

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Mirage posted:

Fake edit: Here's what the artist George Catlin has to say about the painting: “Amongst their feats of riding, there is one that has astonished me more than anything of the kind I have ever seen, or expect to see, in my life:---a stratagem of war, learned and practiced by every young man in the tribe; by which he is able to drop his body upon the side of his horse at the instant he is passing, effectually screened from his enemies’ weapons as he lays in a horizontal position behind the body of his horse, with his heel hanging over the horses' back; by which he has the power of throwing himself up again, and changing to the other side of the horse if necessary. In this wonderful condition, he will hang whilst his horse is at fullest speed, carrying with him his bow and his shield, and also his long lance of fourteen feet in length, all or either of which he will wield upon his enemy as he passes; rising and throwing his arrows over the horse's back, or with equal ease and equal success under the horse's neck.”

Um... neat?

Considering that painting was hanging in Judd's (The Chief) house and they zoomed in on it, and it feels like his death is incredibly suspicious I'd assume it has some sort of reference to the attacks on Nixonville. Essentially, the death of Judd being used as a shield from suspicion like the horses in the painting, while getting in an attack at length on their enemies by proxy of the cops.

Or it's all red-herring bullshit, who knows?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wasn’t the toy called Manhattan blocks? I assumed they were floating on their own.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

HexiDave posted:

Considering that painting was hanging in Judd's (The Chief) house and they zoomed in on it, and it feels like his death is incredibly suspicious I'd assume it has some sort of reference to the attacks on Nixonville. Essentially, the death of Judd being used as a shield from suspicion like the horses in the painting, while getting in an attack at length on their enemies by proxy of the cops.

Id imagine multiple meanings can be derived from the focus on the painting.

Art is neat

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

Id imagine multiple meanings can be derived from the focus on the painting.

Art is neat

Oh sure, I was just pointing out that it's likely that the painting and the episode title were relevant to the story directly, rather than something vague. That was the most direct connection I could make without really digging into the show, but I'm sure it'll make even more sense after the season connects all the dots.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

Klungar posted:

The name of the episode is "Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship", but the painting is called "Comanche Feats of Martial Horsemanship".

That’s weird. I hope they didn’t make that change to spell something out with the first letter of each episode title.

Edit: Ran the first letters of each episode it through an anagram site. Best option is ‘its salami’. If there was an additional episode starting with an ‘i’ it could be ‘rear end militia’, which I think is very important to note.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

HexiDave posted:

Could it also suggest Judd feigning his own assassination attempt during the white night to throw off suspicion? Kinda like what Ozy does in the graphic novel.

Also I hope we find out what happened to the second shooter in Angela's house. Clearly he didn't pull the trigger; was he told not to finish her off? Her boyfriend/partner seems to vanish from the scene during that initial moment of panic too so maybe he came back with a gun or something.

w0o0o0o fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 29, 2019

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

w0o0o0o posted:

Could it also suggest Judd feigning his own assassination attempt during the white night to throw off suspicion? Kinda like what Ozy does in the graphic novel.

Also I hope we find out what happened to the second shooter in Angela's house. Clearly he didn't pull the trigger; was he told not to finish her off? Her boyfriend/partner seems to vanish from the scene during that initial moment of panic too so maybe he came back with a gun or something.

Oh gently caress, I dunno why it just hit me, but cloning is a thing in this universe huh?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I went into the first episode completely blind and without having read anything but was very impressed. The premise of the show is really loving me in the brain and I feel like I need to get reaquainted with the novels.

Before I go onto the 2nd episode, I was going to reread the original Moore novel again (haven't read it in over a decade). Should I read anything else? I've heard the prequel stuff was quite bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bedshaped posted:

I went into the first episode completely blind and without having read anything but was very impressed. The premise of the show is really loving me in the brain and I feel like I need to get reaquainted with the novels.

Before I go onto the 2nd episode, I was going to reread the original Moore novel again (haven't read it in over a decade). Should I read anything else? I've heard the prequel stuff was quite bad.

The consensus seems to be all the prequel and sequel stuff is bad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

The consensus seems to be all the prequel and sequel stuff is bad.

It's real bad - and kind of made worse in retrospect by this show proving (so far) that you can do a decent Watchmen story without Alan Moore's involvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

The Dave posted:

Wasn’t the toy called Manhattan blocks? I assumed they were floating on their own.

They’re clearly labeled Manhattan blocks. Much cooler Kinect kit meets those magnetic free form toys