Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Petey B is for refugees from the Republican party that can't stomach voting for Trump. I'm related to some of them and honestly, it's a start.
I'm never not in awe in the hubris that comes from these mythical newfound 'independents' that want so badly to vote for Democrats, if only the Dems would adopt the entire GOP platform minus Trump. I mean, you have a party, they agree with you about practically everything, they're right there; why not keep being a Republican and fix your party?

e: paying tax with cats who are cold enough to love each other finally, if only near the heater

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DandyLion posted:

Even TS clearances are given out like candy. Its a bit of a misnomer insomuch as there are a freaking huge amount of DoD employee's/contractors with TS clearances. The whole system doesn't really fully operate like most people think of 'Top Secret' clearances until you get into some specifically sequestered 'Secured Compartmentalized Information'

yeah. there is different layers of top secret. you might get access to some top secret stuff in your field but not others. or so i have heard.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean that’s what Bannon wanted to try and get Trump to do but that went nowhere at light speed.

The GOP is in a bind because if they drop the economic stuff their monied interests will abandoned them

If they abandoned the racism then the MAGA chuds won’t turn out.

They made the bed uniting racism and guilded-age greed together and must lay in it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The GOP is in a bind because if they drop the economic stuff their monied interests will abandoned them

the monied interests have nowhere to go, is the issue. they all hated trump in the primary, they just lucked out because (a) trump has as much interest in upper-class tax cuts as they do, and (b) trump is really stupid and outsourced his congressional policy to paul ryan rather than having any real goals

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If they abandoned the racism then the MAGA chuds won’t turn out.

They made the bed uniting racism and guilded-age greed together and must lay in it

thing is. if they dropped the racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc and pretended to be socially liberal. they would probably get all the biden/butt/harris types easy and wouldnt need the chuds.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rosalind posted:

The book is about it being a myth, to be clear.

That certainly helps, thought he was another Shelby Foote.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Nonsense posted:

That certainly helps, thought he was another Shelby Foote.

No, he really is an rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/lo_lifer/status/1189218981586051073

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Angry_Ed posted:

He immigrated to the US when he was four. Put the loving Tom Clancy novels down, Brian.

EDIT: Actually this might even be sub-Clancy level, since this is a plot point right out of Storming Intrepid.

It's always great when we get these glimpses into the mindset of people who think that humans are divided into Good Guys and Bad Guys. Not like, on an individual, supervillain/hero level, but on an ethnic/national level. There's Good Guys (us, and the people we say are our allies), and there's Bad Guys — as in Evil Peoples. Like entire ethnic groups and nationalities that are inherently evil, like "enemy planet" level evil.

Oh sure, There Are Exceptions; you can have "one of the good ones" types of individual people that maybe you know personally. But just suggest that this guy is from the SOVIET UNION or UKRAINE (whichever, they're all "russia" and therefore Evil) and immediately he is suspect. He's as liable to receive a signal from the mothership and flip his Sleeper Cell gene as that guy down the street who says he immigrated from Iran or Lebanon (which is to say, very).

It's just so ... disappointing I guess is the only word that really fits, that humanity is still at this level where we can never bring ourselves to say "look, we're all Just People"—where it's like some kind of subversive revolutionary concept that every human being in the world is just trying to live their lives, that we all are basically more inclined to try to do good things for our families and our communities than to become kamikaze bombs trying to destroy people halfway around the world. I don't know why this cartoon tribalistic nonsense is so irresistible to us as a species, but we're never going to stamp it out it seems. Best we can do is keep it marginalized and shamed. Ugh

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
https://twitter.com/McNaughtonArt/status/1189204966721740800

Looks like a fun party.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Data Graham posted:

It's always great when we get these glimpses into the mindset of people who think that humans are divided into Good Guys and Bad Guys. Not like, on an individual, supervillain/hero level, but on an ethnic/national level. There's Good Guys (us, and the people we say are our allies), and there's Bad Guys — as in Evil Peoples. Like entire ethnic groups and nationalities that are inherently evil, like "enemy planet" level evil.

Oh sure, There Are Exceptions; you can have "one of the good ones" types of individual people that maybe you know personally. But just suggest that this guy is from the SOVIET UNION or UKRAINE (whichever, they're all "russia" and therefore Evil) and immediately he is suspect. He's as liable to receive a signal from the mothership and flip his Sleeper Cell gene as that guy down the street who says he immigrated from Iran or Lebanon (which is to say, very).

It's just so ... disappointing I guess is the only word that really fits, that humanity is still at this level where we can never bring ourselves to say "look, we're all Just People"—where it's like some kind of subversive revolutionary concept that every human being in the world is just trying to live their lives, that we all are basically more inclined to try to do good things for our families and our communities than to become kamikaze bombs trying to destroy people halfway around the world. I don't know why this cartoon tribalistic nonsense is so irresistible to us as a species, but we're never going to stamp it out it seems. Best we can do is keep it marginalized and shamed. Ugh

FWIW if it wasn't stoked relentlessly by your (and our) psychotic media it would be rather less of an issue. And that's fixable.

With legislation and nationalisation and guillotines

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I like how the picture of trump on the wall was taken in the same room in that exact spot so the wall behind him in the painting blends in perfectly wit the actual wall. Almost like mcnaughton didn't put any thought or work into that part at all.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Did he self-insert his other stupid 'washington crossing the delewareswamp' painting on the left there? God he's a hack.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

least we know when the stroke happens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1189229662515453958

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thing is. if they dropped the racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc and pretended to be socially liberal. they would probably get all the biden/butt/harris types easy and wouldnt need the chuds.
That wouldn't happen overnight and during the few cycles it takes to turn that around they will be wiped out in the polls and primaried out of their seats.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is the crux of these mother fuckers. They start with the assumption that their political opponents must be crooked and cheats and "playing unfairly" because why else would they be political opponents?! That is then used to justify their own awfully crooked cheating, and it creates a catch 22 feedback loop because to continue to justify their own behavior, which they have taken to be normal and good, they have to find reasons in their opponents behavior to continue their own, whether there is any or not.
That is why there is no point talking. It's the same with christians; they begin with the literal assumption that you are a sinner destined for devil rape if not one of them, and there is no way to reconcile that because it is one of the foundation pillars of their brain and the reality it chooses to perceive.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

e.pilot posted:

USPOL Fail: Trump is a Great President on Oppidites Day

We must do something about the Oppidite crisis.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo, trashing a no poo poo war hero is not a good look for the right, whose base happens to care a lot about war heroes, this is going to backfire badly.
The right could give a flying gently caress about war heroes, its all posturing. Remember this is the party who painted Max 'I jumped on a grenade and lost three limbs to protect my fellow soldiers' Cleland as a traitor to his country by Turdblossom and lost his election, as well as the purple heart bandaids in '04.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 29, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Truly Deadspin's finest hour, the one two punch of one of the most unbelievable sports stories of the century, and then dunking on Donald Trump as the chaser.

RIP Deadspin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deadspin is still around, they're a valuable source of videos of animals running into sporting events

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Prester Jane posted:

Also let's not forget that this thread has a longstanding/strongly enforced policy of outright banning all criticism of Democrats.

Really? Like half the loving posts in this thread is criticism of Dems and no one gets probated for it let alone banned.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The problem is they fear their base too. They are psychos and have shown they are willing to (try to) bomb and shoot anyone for whatever reason they deem that conflicts with what they want

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 29, 2019

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

haveblue posted:

Deadspin is still around, they're a valuable source of videos of animals running into sporting events

The new private equity owners issued an edict that deadspin must stick to sports; in response, the site frontpaged their top performing non-sports articles, and then every post today has been non-sports related under the banner "Stick to Sports."

Yesterday, management deleted articles on the site that gave an email address for folks to complain to management about the massive increase in ads and auto-playing videos. An hour ago they fired Barry Petchesky, the deputy editor who's been there for a decade.

They still published a pretty good article on Trump getting booed at the Nats game today. https://deadspin.com/its-absolutely-fine-that-donald-trump-got-booed-at-the-1839425624

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

lol

https://twitter.com/SeminalDesigner/status/1189224603325009922

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Don't forget 3 minutes to midnight. If I didn't think McNaughton was a total Chud I'd think it was a subtle nod to our impending Nuclear holocaust at the hands of a petulant orange child.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

They just got told yesterday to "stick to sports" by their new vulture capitalist owners, and fired their deputy editor just this morning for openly defying them (they've posted all non-sports stuff this morning).

The owners are deliberately burning Deadspin to the ground, so yes....RIP Deadspin.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZobarStyl posted:

I'm never not in awe in the hubris that comes from these mythical newfound 'independents' that want so badly to vote for Democrats, if only the Dems would adopt the entire GOP platform minus Trump. I mean, you have a party, they agree with you about practically everything, they're right there; why not keep being a Republican and fix your party?

Fix what part? Trump didn't change any part of the platform, he ruined the masquerade. You can't fix the party because it segmented into people who are on board with that horseshit and people who aren't because they finally realized what was going on once it was thrown in their face.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duffy4Wisconsin/status/1189197626224320525

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lol, good job making them all look cool and likeable, especially Cigar Chompin Bernie and Fun Uncle Joe. I feel like some people are going to repurpose this once Trumps douchey face is cropped out.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

And he’s advising the House about the Presidents crimes...?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'm surprised the dude didn't take it a step further and make the star a Jewish star

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ManBoyChef posted:

it begins! the right wing spin machine springs to life. It will begin churning and smearing vindman just like so many before him.

Wasn't Melania born in the Soviet Union and brought over to the U.S. young?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I can't get over how many different ways they managed to gently caress up giving candy to children. At a certain point, it stops being pathetic and wraps back around to being impressive. :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1189216545609781258

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Andronian posted:

but have we EVER had such a specific and easily accessible way to see exactly what a politician thinks before Twitter?

Not only that, but we've never had such an intimate look into someone descending into madness/dementia.

Trump's tweets will literally be studied by every branch of psychiatric and neurologic medicine for the next hundred years. Analyzing Trump tweets will become the greatest interdisciplinary study in human history.

Art, politics, science, history, psych, finance, whatever. Everyone is going to be pouring over them to figure out what it meant.

They say Nixon was the most psycho analyzed former president. It will pale next to the treatment Trump gets.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Haven’t seen this posted here yet.

https://twitter.com/dkos07/status/1187875836789084161

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1188929700577497088

loving what?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Andronian posted:

I’m going to ask a question that may make many of you may assume things about my age that might be true

but have we EVER had such a specific and easily accessible way to see exactly what a politician thinks before Twitter? What was the medium previously for getting messages directly from a senator or rep - press conferences? Email? I can’t help but think it’s just so easy to see exactly how broken a lot of republican’s brains are now (like Lindsay Graham’s asskissing tweets) whereas in any previous administration there were layers of red tape and filtering through aides before we heard a carefully crafted version of a message. Even during Obama we HAD this technology but nobody in government used it to the same amount they do now.

Now they just.... tweet it out

Jesus this post makes me feel old. Twitter has only been around since loving 2006 and only really blew up for politics in '08. That's only 11 years.

You wanted to hear from a Congress person directly they held a presser (either tv or newspaper), sent out press releases that were published in the paper or read at precinct committee meetings or to a mailing list, held town halls or meet and greets. You were never exposed to their every thought every waking moment and IMHO you never should be. To anyone's. Ever. Twitter is an abomination and I hope it dies a fiery death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Teddybear posted:

The new private equity owners issued an edict that deadspin must stick to sports; in response, the site frontpaged their top performing non-sports articles, and then every post today has been non-sports related under the banner "Stick to Sports."

Yesterday, management deleted articles on the site that gave an email address for folks to complain to management about the massive increase in ads and auto-playing videos. An hour ago they fired Barry Petchesky, the deputy editor who's been there for a decade.

They still published a pretty good article on Trump getting booed at the Nats game today. https://deadspin.com/its-absolutely-fine-that-donald-trump-got-booed-at-the-1839425624

Ah, I didn't know about any of that. Yeah, rip.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

The number of white men that the GOP could pick up if they just weren't utter poo poo to gay people is a bit disturbing. They wouldn't even have to drop the transphobia.

The number of minorities they'd pick up if they weren't racist is just as concerning. But since neither is ever going to happen until there's a top-down restructuring of the party there's not much to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

court (probably) made an error in dismissing 3 out of 30+ claims outright, allows further discovery on those three, a not-that-interesting development being touted by the far right trash site you're linking for some reason