Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eej posted:

Oko deserves a ban and so does Goose tbh. Nissa can stay cause I don't want to break the heart of elf girl.

Nissa is Elf Hitler who let out the Eldrazi against all advice because she figured they'd go gently caress up lesser, non-elf people and why should she care about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look I'm all for banning oko but like, I think trying to ban goose is a little reactionary

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Motherfuckers ain't gonna take my goose. Honk honk.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Goose is a very good mana accelerant/fixer with downside. It's fine.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Goose is a very good mana accelerant/fixer with downside*. It's fine.

*unless you care about food or the life gain that food represents

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKeen posted:

I find it fascinating that the recent nerd spaces opening in my city aren't planning on being retail joints because those are the worst business ventures. They're event spaces.

For example, my city has a place called Game Knight. It's a bar, that charges a $5 cover. That's how they make their money - the cover and the booze. They happen to have lots of tables. They have Magic nights. They have a huge board game library you can play with. They host tournaments. But they're not a LGS, because that's a bad business idea (not that bars/restaurants are much better, but the liquor control in my city isn't barbarbic). They'll happily encourage you to order the game off of Coolstuff/Amazon and bring it in to their place to play. They can chat about games and be Cool Nerd Shop Dad without having to worry about selling you stuff. If you're an rear end in a top hat patron you'll get kicked - it's a bar - but the fact that there's a $5 cover also seems to make it more of a "let's go out for an evening with friends" kinda place instead of a "I'm just gonna hang out here all day because I love Magic and I don't bathe" kind of place.

This is cool but is also expressly forbidden by the WPN rules. In order to host prereleases and fnms and get the promos and all that you need retail space specifically devoted to magic.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s a Bird of Paradise, yes! This is a silly question!

It's only a birds of paradise once unless you have another food source or spend more mana then you're getting out of it, which all seems fine?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's only a birds of paradise once unless you have another food source or spend more mana then you're getting out of it, which all seems fine?

A one shot Paradise is a really good card and late-game Goose has a ton of utility to top it off in ways Bird doesn't, it is a very good card and as good as BoP in eternal formats right now

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheKingofSprings posted:

A one shot Paradise is a really good card and late-game Goose has a ton of utility to top it off in ways Bird doesn't, it is a very good card and as good as BoP in eternal formats right now

Sure, but "very good" doesn't mean "bannable"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is this take

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is this take

A take that is acutely, painfully aware that "Wrenn and Six" exists

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

Uh I was told BoP is better in every format both were available in. Emphatically. I think by Sickening?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You don't have to ban honk but there's not much else you can do when Green has so much good poo poo going for it right now. None of it is individually broken but as a whole it's insane compared to the other colours.

Toshimo posted:

Nissa is Elf Hitler who let out the Eldrazi against all advice because she figured they'd go gently caress up lesser, non-elf people and why should she care about them?

Elf girl is Dana Fischer fwiw

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

A take that is acutely, painfully aware that "Wrenn and Six" exists

No. Company decks or whatever still play BoP and Heirarch.

Goose is being played over BoP in some decks in eternal formats only because of artifact synergy stuff that doesn't and probably will not exist in standard. Otherwise BoP is still better.

Goose probably sees some play in Standard without Oko, but it's far from a sure thing and wouldn't be ubiquitous the way it is now.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 29, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

goose is only better in eternals when the difference between 1 and 2 toughness is relevant, and how often is-- *laughs wrenn and sixishly*

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Sure, but "very good" doesn't mean "bannable"

In a vacuum it's not bannable but if you want Standard to not just be UGx value piles for the next two years and you don't want to ban any marquee cards then it's the best target. Banning anything else (Nissa, Krasis, etc) won't do as much to neuter those decks.

In eternal formats IDK, I think you just have to ban Oko and call it a day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Does goose see play right now in any non-standard deck without oko?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingofSprings posted:

If people in this thread are wondering why being an LGS owner could possibly be precarious, think about your own opinion on Wizards and how they’ve handled Magic in the last few years.

Now imagine that but tied to whether or not you eat.

Now that I'm not at the shop anymore, technically, hoo boy there have been some "do we cut the rope and hope for the best or do we try to ride it out" discussions in the last two years

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sickening posted:

One single 5-0 list of Abzan Stoneblade. It is not played in the other Abzan Stoneblade lists.

It is not stock in any eternal list besides Modern's Simic Whirza and Simic PO.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Nm you said non standard

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Thank god that charity got The Professor to shave his head.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

Thank god that charity got The Professor to shave his head.

You made me look it up and :stare:

As someone who underwent a similar hair transition (not all the way to a shaved head, though) I find the Professor's feelings about it extremely relatable

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Non-Oko green decks do not play goose, it is a strong one drop but it is absolutely not on the level of BoP and I doubt it’ll see play outside of a few fringe modern/pioneer food decks

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Non-Oko green decks do not play goose, it is a strong one drop but it is absolutely not on the level of BoP and I doubt it’ll see play outside of a few fringe modern/pioneer food decks
Honestly, it seems like it could be good sideboard vs. burn et al.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

Honestly, it seems like it could be good sideboard vs. burn et al.

It has some incidental value if its in the maindeck but there are more effective sideboard cards against burn in modern/pioneer.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Bunch of Theros leaks

New mechanic is Escape which is exile 4 cards from the GY and cast ~ from the GY for its escape cost

Sagas and Devotion are back

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GRrWFBDWy3Wf4YAt-ZdP1Io7XUGCwTNox6s5uZc4P1o/edit

There is one more I heard of like a month ago that isn’t there which is

2U instant draw three discard 2 unless you discard an enchantment

Tainen fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 30, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's taking forever to load, so here's the page of rares from it:

Elspeth is 2WW
5 loyalty
-1 - up to 2 creatures get +2/+2 (or 1) until end of turn
-2 - Create 2 1/1 human soldiers
-3 - gain 5 life

Escape 4WW

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 30, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sagas are an a+ great idea for the Grecian set.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I really really hope they print some good Minotaurs. I’d love to have some good ones for my tribal deck.

I also can’t wait to use my foil underworld dreams

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
edit: failed to read something properly

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Holy poo poo those lands are loving amazing.

edit: Underworld Dreams downshifted to uncommon is pretty cool. Banishing Light Reprint.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 30, 2019

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Gonna try and get foils of those basic lands

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Arivia posted:

Sagas are an a+ great idea for the Grecian set.

Yeah I was on the edge of making a bet on it when Starfield Mystic was revealed but none of my friends really wanted to bet against it, unsurprisingly.

Escape as a "gently caress you guys only I'm getting out of hell" version of Embalm is very cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Yeah I was on the edge of making a bet on it when Starfield Mystic was revealed but none of my friends really wanted to bet against it, unsurprisingly.

Escape as a "gently caress you guys only I'm getting out of hell" version of Embalm is very cool.

if UG gets decimated by bans I'll be happy to play Bant or Selesnya Enchantress, which is what I tried to build as a pillow fort deck in high school

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I also quite like how they've brought back Heroic in a different way; Heroes produce a token to help them, and triggering Heroic consistently gives all your creatures +1/+0 as your Hero inspires their followers. At least, that's what all the R/W effects do that we've seen. And the white pump gives your Hero +2/+1 and everybody else +1/+1 so they end up being consistent!

The Narcissus card is loving phenomenal, too.

e: the 3 mana draw 3 enchantment with downside is sick as well, because if you try to give it to your opponent or bounce it, it dies, so you can cheat it but you can't cheat it that hard. :allears:

ee: recur it with brought back :allears: :allears: :allears:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 30, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ungulateman posted:

e: the 3 mana draw 3 enchantment with downside is sick as well, because if you try to give it to your opponent or bounce it, it dies, so you can cheat it but you can't cheat it that hard. :allears:

ee: recur it with brought back :allears: :allears: :allears:

Korvold and Doom Fortold love it though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Those full art basic lands make me think of Pokemon energy cards.

This isn't a criticism, mind you. I'm ambivalent towards them overall; I think I'd rather my lands have art of, y'know, landscape features, but I can't deny that they're lovely designs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Krasis had better eat a ban before this set drops, otherwise lmaaaooooo that Hydra aura makes it even more busted

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The land aura is bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Those full art basic lands make me think of Pokemon energy cards.

This isn't a criticism, mind you. I'm ambivalent towards them overall; I think I'd rather my lands have art of, y'know, landscape features, but I can't deny that they're lovely designs.

I thought the same thing. I'm surprised it took them this long, but constellations make sense for Theros.