Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Araxxor posted:

He also does this with phones. Some products can turn out really shoddy, and even for ones that don't, it can be nice to have some confirmation on what some products can endure.

All else being equal on paper, I actually base my purchasing decisions on his bend tests.

Some phones are just built like a brick shithouse, and some... looking at you, Nexus 6P- aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You are all cowards.

The only thing I fear is commitment.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 would have been a much better game if it wasn't open world and had about 95% less combat

This is very true. Also did having 1000 different kinds of trash that Geralt could pick up and break down to craft 100 different pants add anything to the game

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tender Bender posted:

This is very true. Also did having 1000 different kinds of trash that Geralt could pick up and break down to craft 100 different pants add anything to the game

I played through the whole game without ever picking up trash (except jewelry to sell) or breaking anything down, there is no real reason for that stuff to exist. you find tons of materials everywhere and you can buy the ones you are missing from the crafting vendors

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is why the only "open world" game I've ever clicked with was HZD. It had a lot of the trappings of open-world, but was a LOT more on rails and had a lot of scripted moments both in and out of combat. "Curated" is a word that gets used to describe BotW's world, and HZD had a lot of that same feel to me.

I slowly have discovered that I don't really want a big sandbox, I want an amusement park. Witcher, and Dragon Age, and GTA are too unfocused to hold my attention for very long.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Huxley posted:

I slowly have discovered that I don't really want a big sandbox, I want an amusement park

That’s a really good way to put it, and is also how I feel

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BOTW and Morrowind are pretty much the only open world games I like because they are open world instead of it being an active hinderance

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
RDR2 has the best open world of any game ever created, but the actual game part of it isn't particularly great.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Redeads also freaked me out when I was 10. I think it was their creepy groans.

Also the fact that they shriek when they see you, the camera pans over to them and you can't move but they're still moving towards you for a few seconds before you can even control Link again and gently caress goddamnit RUN

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
BOTW is the best open world game ever because the entire budget went to putting care and detail to the level design as if it was a semi-linear overworked like previous Zelda titles, rather than a randomly generated desert like everything else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

RDR2 has the best open world of any game ever created, but the actual game part of it isn't particularly great.

I have like zero interest in RDR2 because I would need to play through a bunch of terrible rockstar missions in it, which is opposite of what I want to do in an open world

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best open world game is that minigame in Kirby Superstar where Kirby hits the ground so hard the world splits in half.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here are some war crimes for you to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY4-gdaWxoA
I'm glad I never intend on taking a boxcutter to my Lite

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Seriously. I respect the effort and detail that went into it but it feels so tedious to play.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

American McGay posted:

If that game was just a string of missions and cutscenes broken up by time spent in the camp chilling with the gang I'd have loved it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tender Bender posted:

It's overly complicated, but yes, alchemy is great for timely boosts/recovery. Makes fights more survivable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whenst he direct

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tender Bender posted:

I just replayed it on PS4 last month and I don't think I ever crafted anything unless it was required for a mission :shobon:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Redeads also freaked me out when I was 10. I think it was their creepy groans.

It wasn't the fact that they hump you death?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

It's overly complicated, but yes, alchemy is great for timely boosts/recovery. Makes fights more survivable.

Well, being able to use potions is separate from the actual details of the crafting system. The best thing about alchemy is that you only have to make each potion once so you can largely ignore the ingredient management.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I beat Witcher 3 on like the hardest difficulty never touching crafting or alchemy, just dodge and put up a shield

your quickstep has like 80% invincibility

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

recommend some games that are extremely deep, involved, and/or full of content. I'm thinking like Disgaea, BotW, Skyrim, Warframe. I'm considering Labrynth of Refrain, but I guess I could always go back and finish BotW. Or start a new Skyrim character.

I know I'm a little late to your question but I'll recommend what I did earlier in the thread.

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition: Even for a Warriors game it has a fuckton of content. Extremely easy to pick up once you get used to how lightning paced it is for a Zelda brand game. Nearly Neverending amounts of maps, story, adventures, and challenges to clear along with a basic level, skill tree, and equipment system to manage on all 30 or so of the playable characters.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: This game was the "grand finale" of the MH series before World rebooted it. Obviously that means it's much less polished than world but probably has roughly 5 times the content. Has extensive free DLC which brings its total up to roughly 1500 quests, many of which you'll run multiple times in your effort to become the best monster slayer of all time.

Siralim 3: I believe it's made by a single man, it's an absolutely enormous single player 2D monster raiser/ dungeon crawler similar to the Dragon Quest Monsters games. You could probably sink 1000+ hours trying to fill out your bestiary and get the best stats and whatnot.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I can't believe people are already posting the final boss and ending of Luigi's Mansion 3 on youtube. They seriously couldn't wait until the game's actually released?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your fault for both actively browsing YouTube and also caring about the final boss in Luigi's Mansion.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Procrastine posted:

I can't believe people are already posting the final boss and ending of Luigi's Mansion 3 on youtube. They seriously couldn't wait until the game's actually released?

Don't watch it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is this your first time going on Youtube when a new video game is about to come out?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Procrastine posted:

This was the case with the Surge 2, the Outer Worlds, and then Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The entirety of those games were already up on Youtube to watch before those games had even come out. Next week is going to suck for spoilers with the release of Death Stranding.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Death stranding spoiler: you will be ashamed of your words and deeds

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I don't care about being spoiled, I just think it's ridiculous to post the end of the game online before the game even comes out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I agree. The YouTubers should be sued. Bad for business and bad for the artistic vision.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Augus posted:

is this your first time going on Youtube when a new video game is about to come out?

What the gently caress is a you tubes? Is this some new slang for drugs?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know people are excited for Outer Worlds, but the game I want is Outer Wilds. It just came out on PS4 after being out earlier on Xbox so I'm hoping it pulls an Obra Dinn and comes out on Switch cause it seems terrific.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Procrastine posted:

How are you gonna make the big YouTube bucks if you don't break the secrets first?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

FINAL BOSS AND ENDING OF OCTOFUCK QUEST XII (WARNING SPOILERS)

*Blatant thumbnail of your childhood friend being corrupted by God or whatever*

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The only way to safely watch Youtube now without coming under sustained psychic assault every time is to exclusively watch your subscribed channels and adblock the recommendations window and comments if you can. It's awesome how the concept of 'Watch a video online' now comes with a slot machine-like chance to upset or annoy you. Google has perfected their nightmare perpetual feedback engine and I'm really excited to try Stadia then stick my house key into the wall socket.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kiranamos posted:

Maaaaaaan, Octofuck PEAKED at 5 :sigh:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kiranamos posted:

The scratchcard bonus game from Yoshi's Island, but instead of revealing the magikoopa, it's a Joe Rogan compilation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know people are excited for Outer Worlds, but the game I want is Outer Wilds. It just came out on PS4 after being out earlier on Xbox so I'm hoping it pulls an Obra Dinn and comes out on Switch cause it seems terrific.

:yeah:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is some Asylum-level timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jackhunter64 posted:

The only way to safely watch Youtube now without coming under sustained psychic assault every time is to exclusively watch your subscribed channels and adblock the recommendations window and comments if you can. It's awesome how the concept of 'Watch a video online' now comes with a slot machine-like chance to upset or annoy you. Google has perfected their nightmare perpetual feedback engine and I'm really excited to try Stadia then stick my house key into the wall socket.

My account finally stopped recommending “SJWs are coming to kill your video games” horseshit and I’m scared to click on anything new to make it come back.