Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember I specifically asked if anyone particularly should have that armor set and Jesus yes if I hadn't given it to Tanimura as advised it would have been grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crappy Jack posted:

SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT: For completing different characters' combat training missions, you're gonna get three pieces of armor. When you wear them all together, it helps you resist bullets. Do NOT start the finale of the game without giving all three of those pieces to Tanimura, the cop. It will increase your enjoyment of the game 1000%.

Jesus christ, if I knew this beforehand, the final Tanimura fight is one of the worst things I've ever had to do in a video game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think yakuza 0 being the entry point to the series in retrospect gave people the impression that yakuza games generally had cohesive, sensible storylines when that mainly applied to Y1 and approximately 75% of Y2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, that's nuts. And I heard that there's supposed to be a time machine at some point in this series!

Well, Yakuza 4's gonna unlock in two days. Any advice/suggested Substories that's not in here? https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Yakuza_4

I forgot if you had to unlock it, but Saejima's ability to not be knocked down in heat mode is one of the most overpowered abilities in the game. Because of this, you might want to fight with him with IIRC LT depressed, which prevents heat attacks from functioning since you might not want to empty the heat gauge as him.

the other important Yakuza 4 thing is to duet "Pure Love In Kamurocho" with Hana as Akiyama as soon as you can get to the karaoke parlor, because it rules.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 27, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT: For completing different characters' combat training missions, you're gonna get three pieces of armor. When you wear them all together, it helps you resist bullets. Do NOT start the finale of the game without giving all three of those pieces to Tanimura, the cop. It will increase your enjoyment of the game 1000%.

Wow, okay then. Um, is it like Kiwami 2's Sacred Wood Armor where you just block all of them?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, okay then. Um, is it like Kiwami 2's Sacred Wood Armor where you just block all of them?

Correct. At that point it becomes Tanimura systemically grappling the guards into agony.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
the virtua cop stuff in yakuza 0 is making me so glad

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its almost that time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrTJqDu6FI

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Crappy Jack posted:

:negative: no one told me this last year.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mordiceius posted:

VIRTUAL ON IS A loving BULLSHIT GAME AND DRAGS THE QUALITY OF KIWAMI 2 DOWN BY ITS MERE PRESENCE

Look at this unequivocally wrong statement (even though the sequel really should have been in one of the games)

Also, just pick the Raiden

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Sorry, Virtual On is a bad loving game. Maybe it plays better in arcades but with a controller it is 100% trash.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I don't remember who I beat it as, but I did enjoy Virtual On. I had the Dreamcast version on Oratorio Tangram when I was young though. It's also a substantially better game.

I wish we'd get a new one instead of just cramming them in to various idol crap.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Virtual On was sick as hell and I'm glad that the YK2 minigame controls accurately reproduce they way every cabinet I ever tried to play on had at least one wonky stick.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, got to Chapter 12.

Osaka Castle is the greatest thing holy poo poo it is a gold castle INSIDE a castle!

Kiryu Sengoku is a thing and I need those Kenzan/Isshin releases, cowards!

A GODDAMN TIGER! TWO GODDAMN TIGERS! Kiryu gives no fucks.

For a guy suffering from a massive abdominal wound, Kiryu is doing real well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, got to Chapter 12.

Osaka Castle is the greatest thing holy poo poo it is a gold castle INSIDE a castle!

You can see how every game would go way differently depending on if you're playing Kiryu or Yagami.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

or majima post-0

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, finished Ch. 11.

So, the Jingweon don't gently caress around, and they just killed my only lead. Majima is in the hospital, Ryuji and his Omi punks are all over my hometown, and the Tojo leadership got capped hard.

What am I going to have to punch to save the day here? It best be loving crazy.

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, got to Chapter 12.

glad this post got the appropriate followup

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
While everybody is getting hyped for the Yakuza 4 remaster, I've started playing Yakuza: Dead Souls. I'm only in Majima's section but so far what I can say is... it's not terrible? The combat is clunky and a pain in the rear end but it's not outright painful, at least not yet. It appears to have all the mini games 4 does so there is lot of things to distract you from killing endless amounts of zombies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Truthfully I don't think Dead Souls is that awful of a game. It's a product of Japan's awkward and clumsy transition to HD caliber game development, mostly serving as a tech demo for Binary Domain, but even with the obvious flaws like you say it still has a lot of that oddball heart and soul Yakuza is known for. It just looks very bad compared to the rest of the series, like it's a 5 out of 10 in a franchise that averages 8 to 9.

It's really drat short too. I platinumed it in like 30 hours I wanna say.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Truthfully I don't think Dead Souls is that awful of a game. It's a product of Japan's awkward and clumsy transition to HD caliber game development, mostly serving as a tech demo for Binary Domain, but even with the obvious flaws like you say it still has a lot of that oddball heart and soul Yakuza is known for. It just looks very bad compared to the rest of the series, like it's a 5 out of 10 in a franchise that averages 8 to 9.

It's really drat short too. I platinumed it in like 30 hours I wanna say.

Honestly, if it was ported to PS4 with a more conventional shooter control scheme and a much more stable framerate, it'd easily be a 7/10. It was the weird, nonsensical controls and single digit framerate which killed the game for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I saw it in a shop the other day and it was a bit expensive, but not prohibitively so, so I went off browsing to see if they had anything else good first. They didn't but over browsing I forgot to pick it up and now keep thinking I should have.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I got it for a tenner off ebay almost brand new a few months ago. Dont let em rip you off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakuza 4 remaster is out, out, out

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Wishing I'd bought digital now, but they suckered me in with that physical box for 5. On the other hand there are plenty of non-Yakuza games I'm getting through while waiting for February.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Box art for 7, and that really does appear to be an unexpected familiar face on the left there

Jingweon running an impostor like Kazuki again, or Surprise Twin Brother? Or he survived his brains getting blown out!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

OH poo poo KOREAN VERGIL! HELL YEAH!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

eating only apples posted:

Box art for 7, and that really does appear to be an unexpected familiar face on the left there

Jingweon running an impostor like Kazuki again, or Surprise Twin Brother? Or he survived his brains getting blown out!

the obvious answer is rubber bullets

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess the 'guy who played Hideaki Anno in Blue Blazes' dude is a bigger character than he seemed in the trailer.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CharlestonJew posted:

the obvious answer is rubber bullets

I just rewatched the cutscene and it's more brutal than I remember! ah, rubber blood as well, I see

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You've gotta actually go to the store and download the game, which threw me off.

Anyway, 0 and Kiwami have spoiled me, I keep hoping the next game I play will have a run button, because I can't see how you can get away from fights without one. I certainly couldn't avoid any in 3. And I feel like it was tough in Judgment too but I might be misremembering.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Did nobody slam the drinks/extracts that decrease encounter rates?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that would have required me to gently caress around with the crafting system and/or grind for money to buy said extracts, so no

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What are Kiryu and Majimas favorite meals?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RareAcumen posted:

You've gotta actually go to the store and download the game, which threw me off.

Anyway, 0 and Kiwami have spoiled me, I keep hoping the next game I play will have a run button, because I can't see how you can get away from fights without one. I certainly couldn't avoid any in 3. And I feel like it was tough in Judgment too but I might be misremembering.

You have to run really far away to really escape. Either that or activate a story cutscene of some kind. If you've got a buddy helping you fight though, forget about it, fight's not ending til one side's KO'd.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mordiceius posted:

Depends. Are they on a date? In that case, everything in the loving store.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Good question. I know Majima loves him some Karaage though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Burned tripe

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Crappy Jack posted:

Depends. Are they on a date? In that case, everything in the loving store.

If they're alone then its also everything.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Depends on how many bottles of AppStim they're carrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

so hows the new translation for akiyama? you know what im talking about.