Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

BMan posted:

You can achieve maximum laziness and maximum diversification by buying one of these asset allocation ETFs. They are about 0.1% more expensive than holding the multiple funds yourself though.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/about-our-asset-allocation-etfs.htm

I was just looking at Canadian Couch Potato because I'm starting an RESP for my daughter, and I saw that the iShare balanced/growth has a lower MER than Vanguard. Would the default choice here be iShare if I wanted to do a 40%bonds/60%stocks ETF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a Tangerine and a Simplii account, Tangerine doesn't support US wire transfers but I think Simplii does. Does anyone do this? I have an E-Trade account for work stuff and it would be nice to wire transfer instead of mailing a cheque. Just wondering if it gets deposited in CAD and who does the exchange from USD, if anyone knows.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BMan posted:

You can achieve maximum laziness and maximum diversification by buying one of these asset allocation ETFs. They are about 0.1% more expensive than holding the multiple funds yourself though.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/about-our-asset-allocation-etfs.htm

Crell pointed it out, but ishares' offerings have a lower MER. I personally moved all my holdings to xgro. The extra time, asspain, and commission required to calculate and balance holdings between 6 accounts was worth the cost increase from 17 to 21 bps. It also made it a lot easier for my wife since she didn't have to break out homebrew excel spreadsheets, which is a nice benefit if you're less numerate or a confused old trying to wean off borderline predatory financial instruments. It doesn't get much easier than 'keep buying, never sell' as an accumulation strategy.

Some financial wizard did a bunch of math and it turns out that highest equity exposure is generally safest, with some tweaking to protect against sequence risk in early years. For a small novel's worth of writeup, I'd highly recommend checking out this guide.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hmm. I like xgro. Going to do more research but I like that idea on its face.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I just noticed something really cool with my RBC RRSP account, all my TD I-series funds got converted to E-series sometimes in June. Did a little bit more digging and it turns out the TD E-series is now available other places than TD! Going to be switching over tonight.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When the american economy 2008's in a few months will the canadian one die too?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Methanar posted:

When the american economy 2008's in a few months will the canadian one die too?

It may or may not happen, on a timeline no one can predict.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

It may or may not happen, on a timeline no one can predict.

lol if you think there won't be another economic melt down within the next 2 years.

I literally don't know of a single indicator that suggests it won't

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Methanar posted:

lol if you think there won't be another economic melt down within the next 2 years.

I literally don't know of a single indicator that suggests it won't

OK, so, economic meltdown will happen. Most likely including our economy because everything we do is tuned to the USA, except 2 years later.

What do you suggest doing about it then?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jan posted:

OK, so, economic meltdown will happen. Most likely including our economy because everything we do is tuned to the USA, except 2 years later.

What do you suggest doing about it then?

I don't know. The stock market took a jump today so I'm seriously thinking of pulling all my stocks monday and holding it in cash until the impeachment thing really ramps up which is definitely cause a massive dip from all the uncertainty. Then I'm thinking I throw it all back in to VFV for a few days to catch the upswing, then cash out again and really just hold until something happens one way or another.

The stock markets been going downhill for a while and I feel its unlikely I'd be making any gains in the next few months in the best of cases. So I'm reducing my risk by moving to cash instead of an asset that one day soon will drop by 40%. While not assuming much risk in that I'll miss out on any growth in the next 6-12 months.

Seems pretty obvious to me. Sure you can argue that hey the stock market has magically always gone up so it will always go up. Or how if you invest in the worst possible hour leading up to 2008 you've made it all back by 2011. That's all cool but man wouldn't it be great if I didn't eat poo poo in the first place and instead benefit from the recovery rather than riding the recovery back to breaking even.

The bull market is pretty over and there is enough uncertainty regarding bad retail data, lack of growth, trade wars, impeachment of the US president, and general outcomes of the american tax reform for it to be perfectly reasonable to think that something Bad will happen in the next year.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 2, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sorry, the market (at all-time highs) has been going downhill when?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

James Baud posted:

Sorry, the market (at all-time highs) has been going downhill when?

quote:

Sure you can argue that hey the stock market has magically always gone up so it will always go up. Or how if you invest in the worst possible hour leading up to 2008 you've made it all back by 2011. That's all cool but man wouldn't it be great if I didn't eat poo poo in the first place and instead benefit from the recovery rather than riding the recovery back to breaking even.

Pulling out when the index was at 1400 would have been pretty cool by the end of 2008.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Its not about the current today all time high because one day in the future its going to be very not at an all time high.

To stay in the market is assuming an absolute gently caress ton of risk for an indeterminate amount of time for what is turning out to be only 2% growth in 6 months.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 2, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rather than comparing the index alone, look at the dividends-included ETFs like SPY or VTI and bear in mind Canadians' return is around 35% higher overall because our dollar bit the dust over that time period.

There are a lot of issues with markets, no doubt, but "all signs" is standard baseless prognosticism. Eventually bears are right and prices fall, but at what cost?

See: the Canadian big city housing market

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
(Hey look, another trillion dollars in stock buybacks!)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

That's a lot of words to say "I'm better than all these economists at timing the market".

There's a lot of warnings that a recession is likely to happen soon. A lot of those warnings have been there for a long time and we're just becoming more sensitive to it because the markets have been soaring for a while. It's definitely seeming increasingly likely now that Trump's lovely protectionism is starting to show its knock-on effect on the industries that depend on imported materials targeted by tariffs.

I get it, I feel pessimistic about it too so I did reallocate into a little more bonds than equity. But in the long run, if something catastrophic enough happens to the market by the time I retire and need these investments, then most likely these bonds will be worthless as well. A little slip of paper saying the government of Canada owes me 10 000$ isn't going to do poo poo when the enemy cannibal tribe throws me in the climate change wastelands' thunderdome.

e: And who's to say the impeachment wouldn't lead to a market rebound? Investors gonna go, "The angry toddler that's been throwing wrenches into the economy is gone, hooray, we can have a more reliable global market again! *massively invests*"

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My wife and I were discussing general investment stuff yesterday and realized we've accumulated enough where a great-recession style tumble would push us into 6 figure haircut territory. Feels kinda cool to know we could lose more than our combined household income in net worth and still be fine, all things considered. Like Jan said, we're a couple decades away from having to touch it so if markets haven't recovered by then we'll probably have already died in a mad max hellscape.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You sound like you’re diversifying into a gic ladder to compliment your Canada savings bonds. Wishing you well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

By definition, every day we go without a market correction is a day closer to market correction. But I'm not sure I want to start shorting market index funds :/

That said, I've sold a ton of my funds that have done very well in the past few years, most 20% over book, even a couple US funds that were 70-80%. I'm going to take a bunch of divvy it out a little more diversified.

Segue
May 23, 2007

So I'm im sort of a weird situation for financial prioritization. I'm finally on sound financial footing with loans paid off and several years into a defined benefit pension plan with the government.

I've been diligently contributing money into ETFs in my TFSA through Questrade at a 100% equity allocation because I don't plan to touch that money until I retire and the db pension is my security since I can retire at 60 with 70% of my income.

I changed jobs recently and feel comfortable that I can put about $15k a year starting January into my TFSA which is at about $40k now.

I still have about $30k room in my TFSA and had planned to keep dumping that extra money in the market, but with stock markets at all time high I don't feel great about dumping all my newfound wealth into the market right now even if maxing my TFSA is a short-term goal.

I know market timing is a fool's errand, but am I crazy for just putting that extra money into a savings account for a couple years and using it for a housing downpayment or just waiting for the market to die as literally everyone expects in the next couple years?

It just seems crazy to me to throw money into stocks when we're at the tail end of a bull market.

Note I don't plan to mess with my current portfolio since that's been accumulated over years and I'm fine with taking a big haircut on it. It's just these new contributions which would double my portfolio size in a couple years.

I'm in my early 30s and in Toronto so saving up for housing is starting to become a thing with all the renovictions my friends are getting.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not sure I agree 100% with your accounting here, RBC InvestEase.

edit: Oh right, those are the totals after potential loss and potential gain. The wording was throwing me off and made it look like the riskiest option had you potentially losing the least.

Well this is a lot less ridiculous than I had thought. Anyone else trying out InvestEase? I was tempted to try QuestTrade, but having everything be RBC is just too tempting that I would put up with some fees.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 5, 2019

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Segue posted:

I still have about $30k room in my TFSA and had planned to keep dumping that extra money in the market, but with stock markets at all time high I don't feel great about dumping all my newfound wealth into the market right now even if maxing my TFSA is a short-term goal.

I know market timing is a fool's errand, but am I crazy for just putting that extra money into a savings account for a couple years and using it for a housing downpayment or just waiting for the market to die as literally everyone expects in the next couple years?

It just seems crazy to me to throw money into stocks when we're at the tail end of a bull market.

Note I don't plan to mess with my current portfolio since that's been accumulated over years and I'm fine with taking a big haircut on it. It's just these new contributions which would double my portfolio size in a couple years.

I'm in my early 30s and in Toronto so saving up for housing is starting to become a thing with all the renovictions my friends are getting.

If you're already starting to look at a house to settle down in, I wouldn't put it into any funds because there's always a risk of downturn in the short-term. Unless you have a Plan B if you lose that value in the near future (like now you'l have to borrow money from parents instead of having your own money or something), I'd stick that money into a laddered GIC and not worry about volatility (assuming you're >5 years away from ownership. If less than 5 years, short-term GIC's should be OK). Unless you have other monies to put into a TFSA, a TFSA GIC will also give you a few more bucks in contribution room at a later date after you withdraw principal and interest.

The whole point of ignoring things like market timing is that you're making regular investments for a long-term goal like retirement, which average out the annual ups-and-downs and give the market enough time to rebound once you finally have to sell investments and realize gains. If you already have an immediate goal, don't risk it if you're unsure about volatility.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Segue posted:

So I'm im sort of a weird situation for financial prioritization. I'm finally on sound financial footing with loans paid off and several years into a defined benefit pension plan with the government.

I've been diligently contributing money into ETFs in my TFSA through Questrade at a 100% equity allocation because I don't plan to touch that money until I retire and the db pension is my security since I can retire at 60 with 70% of my income.

I changed jobs recently and feel comfortable that I can put about $15k a year starting January into my TFSA which is at about $40k now.

I'm of the opinion that having some percent of bonds in your portfolio is the way to go, both psychologically to cushion market losses somewhat, and as a pool to re-balance from. I also think this is the greatest benefit of the single-fund portfolio ETFs: they rebalance every day, so you're always buying low and selling high. So, if you want to move towards having, say, 20% of your investments in bonds or the like, then that's not a bad plan, as long as you stick to that plan regardless of market movements.

Also it's pretty funny that you're worried about buying into a moderately frothy stock market but talking about going all into a majorly frothy Toronto real estate market. I mean, I understand, you gotta have a roof over your head, but it's still a funny comparison.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the advice, everyone. And yeah I recognize the hypocrisy of the real estate bet but I only want a condo, I can afford it, and it'll take me several years of volatility in the market or real estate to save up a downpayment for something I plan to live in for a long time so the peace of mind is worthwhile.

The way Toronto's going, I figure the real estate market will either keep being silly or tank with the recession so either way I'll want a downpayment in a few years for peace of mind if nothing else.

Investing's irrational, I'm just trying to temper mine.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I just maxed my TFSA and RRSP. I know the next step is to move my bond ETFs to outside my sheltered accounts so I can put more stock ETFs in, but what do I do after that?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dispose of all bond ETFs because bonds are crap and a pointless massive drag on your portfolio in a world where people microoptimize between different ETFs to save a few basis points.

Really, you traditionally want bonds inside the sheltered accounts because interest income is fully taxed vs capital gains and (esp Canadian) dividends which aren't... however given that bonds pay practically zero interest and have nowhere to go but down yielding a capital loss, your idea may have merit.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If you're willing to bet that housing never implodes, you could invest in a good Mortgage Investment Company (ie. one that doesn't invest in Alberta or Sask).

Daft Moose
Jan 10, 2007

Jan posted:

That's a lot of words to say "I'm better than all these economists at timing the market".

There's a lot of warnings that a recession is likely to happen soon. A lot of those warnings have been there for a long time and we're just becoming more sensitive to it because the markets have been soaring for a while. It's definitely seeming increasingly likely now that Trump's lovely protectionism is starting to show its knock-on effect on the industries that depend on imported materials targeted by tariffs.

I get it, I feel pessimistic about it too so I did reallocate into a little more bonds than equity. But in the long run, if something catastrophic enough happens to the market by the time I retire and need these investments, then most likely these bonds will be worthless as well. A little slip of paper saying the government of Canada owes me 10 000$ isn't going to do poo poo when the enemy cannibal tribe throws me in the climate change wastelands' thunderdome.

e: And who's to say the impeachment wouldn't lead to a market rebound? Investors gonna go, "The angry toddler that's been throwing wrenches into the economy is gone, hooray, we can have a more reliable global market again! *massively invests*"

The market has predicted 9 of the past 5 recessions.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Now that tangerine has dropped its cash back rates, what is the best cash back card available. Or are there other good cards besides cash back that are worth looking into?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Now that tangerine has dropped its cash back rates, what is the best cash back card available. Or are there other good cards besides cash back that are worth looking into?

My wife got an invite for some new tangerine card, I can’t remember the details but it looked good. Might not be out yet for general people.

RedChesterfield
Nov 18, 2010

"You know you've done enough shit to go to hell."
This may fit better in the global house-buying thread, but there may be a Canadian spin on the answers I'm looking for so let's start here.
Mrs Chesterfield and I have been chipping away at adulthood and we have relatively solid footing now that we're out of our 20s - employed, stable, and getting ready to buy a place together. 

Neither of us did a wonderful job of saving while younger. She is paying off the remaining 30k of a student line of credit, but has a solid credit score of around 800, with no blemishes.  On the other hand, I'm totally debt free but pissed all over my finances as a kid and my credit score is pretty weak - like 685.  No derogatories or closed accounts or whatever on there now, but gently caress me that was dumb.  Certainly slowed down life once I decided I wanted to grow up.

So we've got a few appointments with mortgage agents booked for a couple of weeks away, and with so much information available out there, I've got a pretty good idea what they're gonna tell us.  In the meantime, I'm trying to get a much good insight as possible.

How will our combo of moderate debt with good credit and no debt with bad credit affect our ability to borrow?  Worse rates?  Turned away? 

Do we need the down-payment on-hand to get pre-approved?  I've got my half in a RRSP but hers is coming from an inheritance that's currently in her Mom's hands.

We've been reaching out to banks directly - should we consider getting a mortgage broker? Are they going to have much agency given our buying situation (5% down, >300k purchase price, limited assets)?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Always use a mortgage or insurance broker. It’ll be the lowest rate and you won’t have to deal with multiple salespeople.

You might want to stay with your current bank for convenience, but figure out how much they’re trying to rip you off for first.

You shouldn’t need the down payment in hand to get preapproved. It’s just a preliminary thing where they figure out how much you can borrow so you’re not wasting people’s time. Your mortgage broker will walk you through it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My broker just needed proof it was there and had been there for several months a t least.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I have a RRSP balancing question. I deposit matched deposits with my employer into a RBC Direct Investing account every paycheck, and currently I save the cash for 2 or 3 months then invest, and do a balancing back to my preferred index split.

I'm gonna to start investing the cash after every pay check now, but I'm not sure what to do in regards to splitting it up. Should I try and re-balance the portfolio every time, or just split it up 40/20/20/20 every time? In the end this probably doesn't matter to much, but I'd like an opinion from some other people.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Crell posted:

I have a RRSP balancing question. I deposit matched deposits with my employer into a RBC Direct Investing account every paycheck, and currently I save the cash for 2 or 3 months then invest, and do a balancing back to my preferred index split.

I'm gonna to start investing the cash after every pay check now, but I'm not sure what to do in regards to splitting it up. Should I try and re-balance the portfolio every time, or just split it up 40/20/20/20 every time? In the end this probably doesn't matter to much, but I'd like an opinion from some other people.

I do my best to rebalance with every buy, buying more of whatever has fallen the most to try and bring the portfolio as close as I can to the ideal split without selling anything. I do a proper rebalance where I sell high stuff once or twice a year, or if things get really out of whack.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Agreed.

http://optimalrebalancing.tk can help you calculate what’s furthest below your target and how much to buy. It doesn’t consider commission, so if you’re already well balanced then its suggestion to make four trades probably won’t be ideal; I would just buy whatever’s furthest behind and save some commissions.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This sure is :img-panic-sold-in-2008: in my books re: public (pension) vs private (self direction involved) split.

Not sure what to make of self employment. I expect that I'll keep working "for fun" well past retirement age and know plenty of others who do despite zero financial pressure. It's a bit more of a thing in white collar land than crap jobs.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 12, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not quite sure what I'm looking at with that image above. Can you explain to those dumb like me?

Also, I discovered a new source of anxiety as I am getting older and our portfolio grows: When your portfolio gets large enough that any market swing into the negative shows up as not insignificant $$ negative on your portfolio and you go HOLY gently caress WTF IS HAPPENING? :supaburn:

As a side, I recently read about high interest ETFs
https://www.investmentexecutive.com/news/products/taking-interest-in-high-interest-etfs/

What are thoughts on these? Are any TSX traded?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 15, 2019

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
PSA.TO is traded on the TSX (and is mentioned in the article).

And yeah watching the daily swings can be terrifying as you get older :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So how bad is cancelling a credit card, really? When looking it up, I get a lot of articles about how bad it is for your credit. But it seems like nearly everything is, including having too much credit.

The tricky part where it may be a big hit is this is the credit card I've owned for over a decade, and the other two cards I just got within the past year. That said, my credit can't be that bad because both of those cards I've owned for less than a year have already offered me increases. Additionally, there's a possibility I may be buying my first house or condo next year, although considering the current market this is definitely a very slight possibility.

So, should I eat the $80 annual fee for this old card one more year, I should I get rid of it? (Note: Already looked into it, switching to a no-fee card is not an option)