Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eraflure posted:

I hope they'll never make a direct sequel because the game's as close to perfect as it can be as is.

Maybe, but the world needs more adventures with Kim and Habber Dasher because they are such an awesome pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm conflicted because on one hand I'd like to see what the team could do with another protagonist, but on the other it feels like Harry still has a role to play in the world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am curious what they'd do with a non-amnesiac protagonist. A lot of what Disco Elysium does with Harry it does by letting you reconstruct this man from the wreckage of his total amnesia. A game in this style with a protagonist who hasn't drank themselves into being a blank slate would be very different and I'm interested to see what this team could do with that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ZA/UM have earned total faith from me, I feel no real need to speculate or wishlist sequel ideas. I can rest pretty much assured that they have plans and they're going to own

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

this game is the perfect cure for insomnia

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mr. Pickles posted:

this game is the perfect cure for insomnia

I also wanted to talk ancient reptilian brain and limbic system. :catdrugs:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ugh I haven’t even finished a playthrough and I already want to restart going hard into psy and motorics, probably focus on authority and uhhhhh I dunno

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And you partied?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuCkk9es5l0&t=76s

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

ugh I haven’t even finished a playthrough and I already want to restart going hard into psy and motorics, probably focus on authority and uhhhhh I dunno

2/4/2/4 and make your signature skill shivers and cigarettes

it's what took me through my first game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

upgunned shitpost posted:

2/4/2/4 and make your signature skill shivers and cigarettes

it's what took me through my first game.

this run is 4/3/5/1 and my shivers is at like 7 already after a couple hours. want to go deeper into social skills and skullduggery

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my first run was Detective Weakbody with like 4/5/1/2 or something. it ruled. you get a lot of volition getting absolutely tired of your blue skills' poo poo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

People say Volition is the boring one but if you try to say no to communism, he's the one who steps in to go 'Yes, it's impossible, so loving do it'.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I bailed on hitting an all time low with Kim. It was too much of a bummer.

Did learn what happens if you take Kim's gun, point it at Cunoesse and pull the trigger though. Exactly what you'd expect. She dares him to take the shot and "set her free". Sure enough, Harry kills her if you tell him to. It's an instant game over with a news article where the 41 distance themselves from Harry. It got me, because I was sure he'd flinch or miss, or Kim would dramatically knock the gun out of his hands.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 29, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Donnerberg posted:

Did learn what happens if you take Kim's gun, point it at Cunoesse and pull the trigger though. Exactly what you'd expect. She dares him to take the shot and "set her free". Sure enough, Harry kills her if you tell him to. It's an instant game over with a news article where the 41 distance themselves from Harry. I got me, because I was sure he'd flinch or miss, or Kim would dramatically knock the gun out of his hands.

This is amazing. This game is tailor maid for no re-roll/reload iron man roads where you just try to get by.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Donnerberg posted:

Did learn what happens if you take Kim's gun, point it at Cunoesse and pull the trigger though. Exactly what you'd expect. She dares him to take the shot and "set her free". Sure enough, Harry kills her if you tell him to. It's an instant game over with a news article where the 41 distance themselves from Harry. It got me, because I was sure he'd flinch or miss, or Kim would dramatically knock the gun out of his hands.

Yeah I loving love that you can just do things like this for an instant game over - it sure makes you actually read the dialogue and not mindlessly exhaust every option like other games train you to do.

The other situation like this that I ran into was intimidating the Hardie Boys - I shot myself in the head, bang, done.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished the game. Holy poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There are quite a few times in this game where I've refused to take a dialogue option even during those times where dialogue is investigative and it looks like you're supposed to be exhaustive, just because it seems it'll take a poo poo on the person I'm talking to. This game turns so many RPG tropes on their head that I took for granted prior to playing this.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just finished the game. Holy poo poo.

Amazing isn't it? How's that hollow pit in your stomach doing?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

There are quite a few times in this game where I've refused to take a dialogue option even during those times where dialogue is investigative and it looks like you're supposed to be exhaustive, just because it seems it'll take a poo poo on the person I'm talking to. This game turns so many RPG tropes on their head that I took for granted prior to playing this.

Amazing isn't it? How's that hollow pit in your stomach doing?

Straight up I feel p ok about everything, all said and done I think my Harry had a positive impact on the world and stayed true to whatever batshit wackadoo ideological sense of self he has. Plus I made Kim dance and got that sweet photo so, everything turned out Disco

I might gently caress around and get the Mazovian star as a tattoo. Maybe with the words "Solve the world, one conversation at a time"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I kinda want to do a second playthrough as an angry drunk bastard but....I don't want to hurt Kim's feelings. I just loving know Irenicus is going to kidnap Kim in the sequel and I'll be trying to give him 100s of Imoens instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chaosapiant posted:

I kinda want to do a second playthrough as an angry drunk bastard but....I don't want to hurt Kim's feelings. I just loving know Irenicus is going to kidnap Kim in the sequel and I'll be trying to give him 100s of Imoens instead.
Nah, clearly a mysterious old blind woman appears to tell Harry that he is a vacuum of the Pale.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Someone help me out cause I just deleted the screenshot I was going to save;
There's a Shivers head bubble convo you can have out near the boardwalk that I remember being utterly amazing and I can't remember it at all rn. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? I think its part of the chain where you're examining the city as it washes over you.

Are these in the game files somewhere, I'd love to rip them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Someone help me out cause I just deleted the screenshot I was going to save;
There's a Shivers head bubble convo you can have out near the boardwalk that I remember being utterly amazing and I can't remember it at all rn. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? I think its part of the chain where you're examining the city as it washes over you.

Are these in the game files somewhere, I'd love to rip them.

Was it the DMX quote? Because that's easy to find.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Was it the DMX quote? Because that's easy to find.

Almost certainly

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feel like shivers actually makes the game rainier. Like if you have low shivers it's not raining when you leave the hostel for the first time (which prompts the little shivers overview of the town). Guess it could be random or time of day but I dunno, I've restarted a few times and it's happened consistently to characters more focused on it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lets hang out posted:

Feel like shivers actually makes the game rainier. Like if you have low shivers it's not raining when you leave the hostel for the first time (which prompts the little shivers overview of the town). Guess it could be random or time of day but I dunno, I've restarted a few times and it's happened consistently to characters more focused on it.

this would be a brilliant touch if true, but i noticed the same thing going from playing a low shivers character to playing a high shivers character and thinking "i don't remember it raining on day 1"

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

lets hang out posted:

It happened to me just loading a save wherein I had been standing out front of the Whirling without having happened previously.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The patch notes mentioned something about fixing weather changes, I think?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I knew nothing about this game but between people saying that the ending is a drat good one and the holy loving poo poo skill descriptions on their website, I think this is just a thing I need to own

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
With regards to the footprints at the crime scene Is it ever explained who the guy with the one smooth sole is? I was convinced I’d figured out Harry was the killer in the first hour because one of his shoes is lying out in the balcony, but that turned out to be wrong. I think the old communists footprints next to the peephole are the same but I can’t remember it being brought up if he walked up to the corpse at any point. Am I misremembering something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somfin posted:

I knew nothing about this game but between people saying that the ending is a drat good one and the holy loving poo poo skill descriptions on their website, I think this is just a thing I need to own

It really is a brilliant game. A lot of the screen shots people share are the jokey parts, and while there's plenty of humor, there's also a lot of excellent writing that can be really moving (and really good at kickstarting the imagination). It's a great time all around.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rookoo posted:

With regards to the footprints at the crime scene Is it ever explained who the guy with the one smooth sole is? I was convinced I’d figured out Harry was the killer in the first hour because one of his shoes is lying out in the balcony, but that turned out to be wrong. I think the old communists footprints next to the peephole are the same but I can’t remember it being brought up if he walked up to the corpse at any point. Am I misremembering something?

it’s ruby, she is a trucker so she has one worn out sole

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

No Mods No Masters posted:

To add if you did the trucker drug trade side quest you'd find out who it is.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Almost certainly

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I got the body down and had Kim take it away. I thought he was gonna put it in the bear freezer? Is there a way to look at the body again?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Vincent Cassel did a movie called Black Tide last year where he plays an alcoholic detective and he'd make a decent Harry, if he kept the look but chewed the scenery more, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8M4NrHiUeo

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 29, 2019

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

BigRed0427 posted:

So I got the body down and had Kim take it away. I thought he was gonna put it in the bear freezer? Is there a way to look at the body again?

unfortunately not after that point

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BigRed0427 posted:

You might get a perception check which is basically impossible after doing the field autopsy, and when you fail you get the option to look for a fridge. But if you skip the autopsy-like you apparently did-you're SOL buddy.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ah, makes sense. I suppose A worn shoe and a foot in a sock would make significantly different prints as well, now that I think about it.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Night10194 posted:

People say Volition is the boring one but if you try to say no to communism, he's the one who steps in to go 'Yes, it's impossible, so loving do it'.

Volition was my friend and would give me reassurance when I'd be paranoid, and hope when I'd have none. It's too empowering to be boring.

The only time it was flat out wrong was when it disagreed with me (endgame) taking Cuno on as my partner, 'cause come on, how could I say no to that.

Donnerberg posted:

If you miss though, you can carry on with the game, and Cunoesse half taunts you for missing/half laments remaining alive, and if you backpedal and say you didn't mean it and gun just "went off", Cuno's just torn between conflicting responses of appreciating your recklessness versus you nearly murdering Cunoesse. And then just goes, "Stop waving your gun around kids. What the gently caress's wrong with you?" which just about sums it up.

The only thing that doesn't make much sense in the whole situation is Kim just standing there letting us do this tbh, but I guess he probably didn't think we'd really go for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

VolticSurge posted:

You might get a perception check which is basically impossible after doing the field autopsy, and when you fail you get the option to look for a fridge. But if you skip the autopsy-like you apparently did-you're SOL buddy.

Post-autopsy: You can complete/succeed everything with the autopsy but still have Kim take it away. At that point, you can no longer get the armor piece from the corpse.