Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I would give one pass if I felt it was something out of their control, but if I didnt get paid within a week, gone. Pay bounced twice, gone.

For what it's worth the checks have always cleared by Monday, immediately after the weekend. But that just means they're like one week away from insolvency so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Today was cool. Went on a "vacation" (asked for 4 days off, got 5) to celebrate my and my dad's birthdays. Was told at the beginning of the week that my first shift back would be 11-5. Get a call at 10:10 from a coworker saying "you need to get here now, you work 10-5. [manager I hate] says you're a no-call no-show, she's talking about firing you, and is calling in people to cover your shift." Naturally, instead of reaching out to me to ask what the gently caress, she jumps straight to trying to get rid of me.

All that time de-stressing out the loving window and I hadn't even clocked in. At least I'm not fired yet. I think I've earned my cheap beer for the day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

wlokos posted:

I'm 28 so it's a little unusual to be joining the industry now but I like the work in general.

Honestly, I think a lot of us who do/have worked food industry stuff actively enjoyed the work we did. Once you get used to it a lot of people find this zen of cooking or prepping or cleaning actually kind of relaxing. Especially if you're making food that you get to have sometimes and like.

It's the pay and how everything else in the industry that is utterly poo poo that makes it too stressful to be worth it. I found that zen again working at Amazon packing boxes of dildos for more money, less stress (its own class of bullshit, sure, but I don't want to trap my boss in a blast chiller and freeze him into an incompetent popsicle) and solid hours.

But yeah: the moment the paychecks start bouncing, even if they clear later, GTFO because poo poo's breaking down and you can't fix it. Managers in any industry LOVE underlings that care and one of the hardest lessons you have to learn is when to step back, check out and let everything fall to pieces. You can always find another kitchen job, and you have bills to pay.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

'm interested in what your definition of "out of their control" is, because about all I can think of is the owner banking with a local credit union that gets all their infrastructure wiped out in a natural disaster or something.

Basically that, or like a kitchen fire or something that they have to drop a large bill on suddenly. I've only ever given one job a pass, and that was because their kid died and they didn't have money saved for the funeral. Yeah Jim, I can wait a week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Basically that, or like a kitchen fire or something that they have to drop a large bill on suddenly. I've only ever given one job a pass, and that was because their kid died and they didn't have money saved for the funeral. Yeah Jim, I can wait a week.

Plus, in that situation it sounds like they warned you ahead of time. Most banks I've used lately credit your account immediately so a bounced check could potentially lead to overdrafts on your own account.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

If this place doesn't have it's goddamn brewing license by March I'm fuckin' bouncing. I'll start putting out feelers again by the end of January or so because most companies basically shut down here before, during, and after New Year's. This place is understaffed and my schedule is a fuckin' mess. If there weren't visa issues to contend with I'd be looking at doing this sooner.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

prayer group posted:

I guess this is the best place to post this.

This is my fiance’s rough draft of the logo of the pop-up bar we’re working on, Edgewood Union Lodge. As you may have already gathered, we’re focused on advocating for service industry rights. The ethos is cheap sherry cocktails, unpretentious industry camaraderie, and labor rights advocacy. We’ll be bringing in representatives from local labor unions to educate on what unions can do for you, how to strike, things like that. The cocktail menu is sherry-driven because it’s cheap and friendly. We’ll be serving an Admiral Russell’s Punch, entirely because of Kenning’s presence in the cocktail thread.

I absolutely have this thread to thank for inspiring me. Hospitality is increasingly important in helping both ourselves and each other cope with the world around us, and the people who do it for a living deserve more than they get. I hope to do some small part in evening the odds for us industry weirdos. Thanks for being you, Something Awful Restaurant Industry Thread.

I realized that I didn't say where this is. It's in Atlanta. I also realize I didn't talk about my favorite part of our menu, the Debbie Sherry, which is Little Debbie snack cakes paired with different sherries, for like five bucks. We haven't nailed it down completely but I'm thinking an amontillado with a Honey Bun, an oloroso with a Nutty Buddy, and a cream sherry with an Oatmeal Creme Pie.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jeez Louise, sounds like everybody here is bouncing like we're at a kid's party with an inflatable castle. :(

Me, I'm going to apply for a job tomorrow that actually uses my two college degrees, and my backup is to try for a dish position that pays what I'm making as a line cook. I have Monday and Tuesday off, and I am doing my damnedest to not have to go back to this job Wednesday.

Because holy poo poo balls, after tonight, loving gently caress this place I'm at right now. Unnnnggh, I can't wait to quit so I can doxx the name AND drop a dime to OSHA, Virginia Dept of Health, and any other organization that gives a vague equivalent of the fucks I give about employee and consumer safety.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

This probly belongs here too:

This reminds me of the weirdest thing I overheard during the weekend while waiting tables. A guy was telling a story where he was trying to make a cocktail and was out of blue curacau and decided to use frangelico instead. I was refilling wine and apparently did enough of a double take that one of the other people at the table caught my eye and gave me the "I'm not with this person" panic look.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jeez Louise, sounds like everybody here is bouncing like we're at a kid's party with an inflatable castle. :(

Me, I'm going to apply for a job tomorrow that actually uses my two college degrees, and my backup is to try for a dish position that pays what I'm making as a line cook. I have Monday and Tuesday off, and I am doing my damnedest to not have to go back to this job Wednesday.

Because holy poo poo balls, after tonight, loving gently caress this place I'm at right now. Unnnnggh, I can't wait to quit so I can doxx the name AND drop a dime to OSHA, Virginia Dept of Health, and any other organization that gives a vague equivalent of the fucks I give about employee and consumer safety.

https://media.giphy.com/media/13cptIwW9bgzk6UVyr/giphy.gif

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cool. Just found out that I'm now working until 11. It's just an extra hour but with the bullshit schedule I have next month after just one day off it's a loving nusance. I chose the wrong time to cut back on my drinking...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Cool. Just found out that I'm now working until 11. It's just an extra hour but with the bullshit schedule I have next month after just one day off it's a loving nusance. I chose the wrong time to cut back on my drinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmW-ScmGRMA

Also, why do kitchen people give excessive notice for quitting? If your in a top spot and it takes more than two weeks for someone to take over your responsibilities then you've been loving up as a supervisor, and if your in a lower position why the gently caress do you care?

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Thanks again to everybody here for the advice/wake up calls, I'm trying to lock down a new job before the end of the week if not sooner. In my head I was like "I'm pretty sure this restaurant is loving me over" but I had to see a bunch of people telling me I'm an idiot to really hammer it home.

I'm just planning on walking around downtown in my city and dropping resumes at all the coffeeshops and morning/lunch joints for now. Gonna hit up the craigslist and "Facebook Jobs" listings (apparently thats a thing?) too. Is that pretty much all there is to it? I'm heading out in a few hours to start looking for poo poo.

The one thing I'm not sure is like, do I just go door to door and basically drop a resume everywhere I could viably survive interviewing for? Or is there a more nuanced way to identify which spots are Hiring Now?

I feel like everywhere is always hiring, to some extent, and luckily I'm in a thriving and dense medium-sized city for restaurants and bars.

Skwirl posted:

Also, why do kitchen people give excessive notice for quitting? If your in a top spot and it takes more than two weeks for someone to take over your responsibilities then you've been loving up as a supervisor, and if your in a lower position why the gently caress do you care?

IDK, I'm just running off of cultural conditioning that has taught me to give adequate notice to employers so that I can use them as references for future jobs.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At least around here, a lot of places do their hiring through Snagajob, Indeed, or something similar so make sure you're looking online too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coasterphreak posted:

At least around here, a lot of places do their hiring through Snagajob, Indeed, or something similar so make sure you're looking online too.

Use these. But on the other hand kitchen work is probably one of the few industries you can just show up and potentially get hired, or at least make a potential manager look for your name specifically if you apply online later.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Coasterphreak posted:

'm interested in what your definition of "out of their control" is, because about all I can think of is the owner banking with a local credit union that gets all their infrastructure wiped out in a natural disaster or something.

Eh, I could maybe see it for a small place (those are largely the ones that bounce anyway) on tight margins having some disaster happen but in that case they've probably got bigger problems than bounced paychecks. If your checks are bouncing you are not a sustainable business :shrug:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i worked at a small place for minimum wage at my first gig. one week we did a cold menu bc the gas had gotten shut off for nonpayment.

they never once bounced a paycheck. phoneposting but whoever said “if yr check bounces then you bounce” was right on

(they also refused to cover unemployment when we were temporarily closed but that’s a whole different issue)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For some loving reason we comp people who say they are food writers (it's literally just bloggers with maybe a couple thousand followers and if we're lucky 2 of them are close enough they might come to our restaurant) .

Everything was comped including 2 drinks each!

They tipped in Canadian money.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

prayer group posted:

I guess this is the best place to post this.

Not to be a Debby Downer cause this sounds like a neat idea, but speaking as an actual union member if you’re going to use union iconography and union labeling I really hope you’re actually reaching out to a local union to actually have some kind of official organization, even if it’s just the two of you.

Maybe you’re already on that path (and I hope you are!) but if you aren’t it’s... not great, even if the work you plan to do is admirable.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

They tipped in Canadian money.

Sorry about that, eh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Naelyan posted:

Sorry about that, eh.

The lady said "you can take it to a bank." You didn't give me a tip, you gave me a chore.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

idiotsavant posted:

Not to be a Debby Downer cause this sounds like a neat idea, but speaking as an actual union member if you’re going to use union iconography and union labeling I really hope you’re actually reaching out to a local union to actually have some kind of official organization, even if it’s just the two of you.

Maybe you’re already on that path (and I hope you are!) but if you aren’t it’s... not great, even if the work you plan to do is admirable.

Yeah, establishing a server/bartender union is definitely a goal down the road. I appreciate your perspective!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-informant-award

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
This is probably a good place for this random rear end question right?

YggiDee posted:

Anyone know what model of Holman Bun Toaster this is? The model numbers rubbed off years ago and we're trying to find a manual to change out the heating elements.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Quabzor posted:

This is probably a good place for this random rear end question right?

Those style toaster all use the same type of element, a metal coil inside a glass tube. All you need to do is disconnect the wires, slide the tube out, and run a new one through the same openings and wire it back up. 10 minute job.

This part should work

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We have the parts, I think it's the actual wiring that's giving my boss trouble, which is why he's trying to track down a manual. Thanks though!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck restraunt week.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

YggiDee posted:

We have the parts, I think it's the actual wiring that's giving my boss trouble, which is why he's trying to track down a manual. Thanks though!

If you look and see the white cable sticking out the side, that's the only wire to mess with, there is one on both sides. Just need to disconnect that and then put the new one in the little bracket clip. If he needs a manual for that, then uh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:shrug: I'm just a cashier, boss man says 'hey yggi could you find a manual for this thing' and I said I'd give it a shot because I have a pretty good track record of digging up technical manuals online.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

YggiDee posted:

:shrug: I'm just a cashier, boss man says 'hey yggi could you find a manual for this thing' and I said I'd give it a shot because I have a pretty good track record of digging up technical manuals online.

This video shows the process, it's pretty universal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyFCrmD13g

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

This video shows the process, it's pretty universal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyFCrmD13g

Ok, you know what, normally videos like this are awful but that straw trick is actually really fuckin' smart and I approve.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

One time a private event check was rung on Friday night and they tipped over $1000. This caused MICROS to freak out and no money for any sales was actually transferred to the restaurant’s acct. for the whole weekend. This wasn’t discovered until I discovered it on Tues. at that point it was like, 300k that was just, floating.

It didn’t, but had that caused a check of mine to bounce, I would let that one slide. poo poo was bananas.

But yeah, don’t ever work for free ever.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2019

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I just got this job at a new french pâtisserie in town by arguing with the owner over the best Radiohead album. They have great benefits too. I can leave this lovely restaurant behind. I might actually cry. I’ve had tons of rejection letters come in the past few weeks and today was the most disorganized bullshit I’ve ever dealt woth in a workplace. I was pretty much suicidal when I left work. I’m supposed to hear back by Friday, but in his words « I don’t see a world where you aren’t hired here. » I try not to get too stoked about things, because I’m cursed and everything always goes wrong, but holy poo poo, I’m stoked.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Science WHORE posted:

I just got this job at a new french pâtisserie in town by arguing with the owner over the best Radiohead album. They have great benefits too. I can leave this lovely restaurant behind. I might actually cry. I’ve had tons of rejection letters come in the past few weeks and today was the most disorganized bullshit I’ve ever dealt woth in a workplace. I was pretty much suicidal when I left work. I’m supposed to hear back by Friday, but in his words « I don’t see a world where you aren’t hired here. » I try not to get too stoked about things, because I’m cursed and everything always goes wrong, but holy poo poo, I’m stoked.

What was their wrong answer?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

What was their wrong answer?

owner of the patisserie spotted

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

They said King of Limbs. OK Computer is the correct answer, Kid A is also acceptable.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Burn the Witch is their best song

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Burn the Witch is their best song

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
OK Computer is straight up the best Radiohead album it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

OK Computer is straight up the best Radiohead album it's not even close