Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm playing my first ever game this Friday! My blood angels against my friends orks. 1500 points, can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm playing my first ever game this Friday! My blood angels against my friends orks. 1500 points, can't wait!

Give em hell kid. What's your list?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Give em hell kid. What's your list?

Cheers!

Hes been playing for years so it should be reasonably managable but I've been practising rolling dice at home and trying to pick out certain numbers quickly since that's the part I find most difficult haha

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

JackMann posted:

Question: If I took some dakkajets from Aeronatica Imperialis, would they be around the right size for counts-as deffkoptas? I have some ideas involving either remote controls, grots strapped on, or both.

Comparing my friends AI planes and my memory of the old AoBR kopta, they are nowhere near the same scale, the AI planes are far smaller.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

JackMann posted:

Question: If I took some dakkajets from Aeronatica Imperialis, would they be around the right size for counts-as deffkoptas? I have some ideas involving either remote controls, grots strapped on, or both.

They’re about the size of boyz, maybe smaller.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kitchner posted:

Can I just take a moment to congratulate the author of this article on the smash captain names. I loved all of them.

Thanks!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I kind of wish it included the idiot twins of smash captaining in two Raven Guard dudes using master of ambush together.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
ANAmal.net and I wrote some things today!

Painting Graffiti in 40k
Stop by and learn about graffiti and how to paint it on your terrain for that authentic, "gently caress-the-man" feel.
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-narrative-forge-painting-graffiti/

YOUR WARLORD SUCKS
In the spiritual successor to "Your Legion Sucks," ANAmal.net and I talk about some various warlords in the 40k universe.

https://www.goonhammer.com/your-warlord-sucks/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

YOUR WARLORD SUCKS
In the spiritual successor to "Your Legion Sucks," ANAmal.net and I talk about some various warlords in the 40k universe.

Good stuff. :D

Also props for the Jetset Radio reference.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's the easiest way to paint camo?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

ANAmal.net and I wrote some things today!

Painting Graffiti in 40k
Stop by and learn about graffiti and how to paint it on your terrain for that authentic, "gently caress-the-man" feel.
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-narrative-forge-painting-graffiti/

YOUR WARLORD SUCKS

This article is amazing and informative! i'm going to steal it for the sides of my NYC Tenements for new Marvelgame.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Can I just take a moment to congratulate the author of this article on the smash captain names. I loved all of them.

My favorite was the Salamanders one.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can't believe you didn't go whole hog and use the name smasher khan.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

My thousand sons start collecting box and basic paints have arrived and:

OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!

How do I put them together? How do I paint them? Why did I get a knife and not a pair of snips? Can I even use this handle thingy?

Ahhhhh :kingsley:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

notaspy posted:

Can't believe you didn't go whole hog and use the name smasher khan.

I also could have called the article Hammer Time.

Mistakes were made.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

tallkidwithglasses posted:

My favorite was the Salamanders one.

Mine was actually Brother Captain Optimus Maximus. I think it's a name I can use for anything cheese based in games

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's awesome! What army are you thinking about starting? Space Marines are a lot of fun and thanks to a new rulebook are very competitive. We can definitely help you out with getting started.

crosspost with paint thread but SPACE WOLVES since the first books i read was the space wolf series

took me like 6 hours to paint this bro, my first space marine ever

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Mine was actually Brother Captain Optimus Maximus. I think it's a name I can use for anything cheese based in games

Cool! I agree, it’s a pretty epic name.

I liked the salamanders one because it references a blaxploitation movie and the salamanders are black. Clever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I like the Diet Smite article; is there a chance we get one for Chaos (with bonus comparison to just casting more smite with 1KS at WC5)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

I like the Diet Smite article; is there a chance we get one for Chaos (with bonus comparison to just casting more smite with 1KS at WC5)?

I plan on doing every power eventually.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So I may have either just encountered a cheater, or raven guard just suck.

Is there a way for raven guards ex tenebris to ignore line of site, fire multiple shots that are damage 4

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can give a RG Phobos Captain the relic ammo Korvidari Bolts and the Marksman's Honors warlord trait for a no-LOS D4 shot with his MC instigator bolt carbine.

Ex Tenebris is Damage 2 and I can't think of a way to give it D4 or blind fire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What MSP said above.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notaspy posted:

My thousand sons start collecting box and basic paints have arrived and:

OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!

How do I put them together? How do I paint them? Why did I get a knife and not a pair of snips? Can I even use this handle thingy?

Ahhhhh :kingsley:

I used a knife when I started and it sucked. I would suggest getting some snips from the hardware store. They will be cheaper and you can use them around the house too.

Good luck!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's really disappointing to see that a World Eaters Hammer Bro has the same chance of killing a knight in 1 turn as a grot

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Anime_Otaku posted:

They’re about the size of boyz, maybe smaller.

Hmm. Maybe I can put a couple on a base in formation, or possibly have a drone operator...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
looking at Wrack and Ruin and Chasm you'd have thought they'd finally worked out how to design offensive psychic powers but that came out the same week as the pyromancy discipline.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can give a RG Phobos Captain the relic ammo Korvidari Bolts and the Marksman's Honors warlord trait for a no-LOS D4 shot with his MC instigator bolt carbine.

Ex Tenebris is Damage 2 and I can't think of a way to give it D4 or blind fire.

That might be what it was, thanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Der Waffle Mous posted:

looking at Wrack and Ruin and Chasm you'd have thought they'd finally worked out how to design offensive psychic powers but that came out the same week as the pyromancy discipline.

Pyromancy is no slouch. Fire Shield and Drakeskin are solid. Flaming Blast and Fury of Nocturne are decent given that you can target something that's not the closest.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pyromancy is no slouch. Fire Shield and Drakeskin are solid. Flaming Blast and Fury of Nocturne are decent given that you can target something that's not the closest.

I guess. Flaming Blast seems like a longer ranged but worse Iron Inferno though, and Fury of Nocturne suffers from the (admittedly small) chance of doing absolutely nothing.

Fire Shield + Drakeskin are basically good enough the rest of the discipline might as well not exist.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Agentdark posted:

So I may have either just encountered a cheater, or raven guard just suck.

Is there a way for raven guards ex tenebris to ignore line of site, fire multiple shots that are damage 4

Gaelcon by any chance?

Also yes this is a legit tactic now RAW.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Filthy Hans posted:

It's really disappointing to see that a World Eaters Hammer Bro has the same chance of killing a knight in 1 turn as a grot

You laugh, but in third edition my wife's one surviving grot with an autogun took out an entire 10 man dark angels assault team.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seldom Posts posted:

I used a knife when I started and it sucked. I would suggest getting some snips from the hardware store. They will be cheaper and you can use them around the house too.

Good luck!

This is great advice that can't be underestimated. I strongly recommend something like this. Cutters - Xuron Micro-Shear Flush Cutter - Tapered Tip 410T https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IBQEEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wWoUDbBP9Z6ZV

It definitely changed building models for me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Fingernail clippers will work in a pinch. Just expect a lot of shaving off of the nubby nubs.

I still need a good pair of clippers. All the ones around here is those bigger ones that make it hard to get in between those little spaces.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hihohe posted:

Fingernail clippers will work in a pinch. Just expect a lot of shaving off of the nubby nubs.

I still need a good pair of clippers. All the ones around here is those bigger ones that make it hard to get in between those little spaces.

I have a pair of these, which I also bought off eBay, and I really, really like them. I don't think they're at God Hand Nipper levels, but they're also not a hundred bucks, and they're way better than the ten dollar pair I started with when I first started buying models.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i will always recommend the tamiya 74123s. will fit almost anywhere, not as fragile as god hands, and unlike the xurons, they cut instead of smashing. kinda pricey but you'll never need anything else

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You laugh, but in third edition my wife's one surviving grot with an autogun took out an entire 10 man dark angels assault team.

The fallback rule from 3rd ed. was good.

Also, taking Dark Angels assault marines in 3rd was mighty brave. Dark Angels had a 1/6 chance of being forced to stand still and shoot if even a single model in the unit could shoot any enemy within 24". And there was no way to remove bolt pistols from assault marines. Which meant they had a tendency to get stuck in the worse possible spot. They would also get intractable

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Maneck posted:

The fallback rule from 3rd ed. was good.

Also, taking Dark Angels assault marines in 3rd was mighty brave. Dark Angels had a 1/6 chance of being forced to stand still and shoot if even a single model in the unit could shoot any enemy within 24". And there was no way to remove bolt pistols from assault marines. Which meant they had a tendency to get stuck in the worse possible spot. They would also get intractable

Well, you see, Ivan I had no idea what I was doing. (and still don't tbh, I just like painting and pretending I'm good at strategy)

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

This is amazing did it kill one and they failed morale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Space marines were immune to sweeping advances even back in 3rd, but it's perfectly possible the little guy chased them off the board. :3: