Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife changed jobs, and has her old 403(b) she needs to do something with. The new employer offers a plan with the same company as her previous employer, with the same plans. it looks like the ER is the same or lower than her previous employer. Should she just roll it over to the new employer's plan? The other option would be making a vanguard account and rolling it over to a pre-tax vanguard account. Either way the funds will probably be put in a TD 2055 Vanguard fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife changed jobs, and has her old 403(b) she needs to do something with. The new employer offers a plan with the same company as her previous employer, with the same plans. it looks like the ER is the same or lower than her previous employer. Should she just roll it over to the new employer's plan? The other option would be making a vanguard account and rolling it over to a pre-tax vanguard account. Either way the funds will probably be put in a TD 2055 Vanguard fund.
If the choices in the new plan are good, just roll it over to make keeping track of things easier.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I am transferring some money between my old bank and my new bank. As of yesterday, it's gone from my old one but not yet in the new one. I've never done this before, so I don't know if this is normal. Is it?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Some money showed up in my bank account this morning that I don't think I put there. I think the transfer notes said something about magnets, but I spent it all already. Is this normal?

(Moving between two banks, it's normal for it to take a day or two. It's especially normal if the receiving bank is a smaller one. My old bank in New York took 5-7 days to transfer funds before they got bought out by a big place.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 29, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Transferring my 401(k) to an IRA over a weekend resulted in a nerve-wracking three days between the money leaving one account and arriving in the other.

Almost as bad as when I checked my 401(k) and had a balance of $0 because my old employer never gave me notice that they changed plans and moved my money into a new account for me. (hence moving it into an IRA)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm just piling on the dumb questions, and this one should be googlable, but I can't find something that says it in black and white.

Are Roth IRA contributions restricted by Calendar Year or the Tax Year? I went to set up automatic Roth contribution and it seemed to automatically configure for a large amount, so I thought it was trying to make up lost time. Later, I came across other sources say that IRAs go by tax year but it did not explicitly for Roth IRAs.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I'm just piling on the dumb questions, and this one should be googlable, but I can't find something that says it in black and white.

Are Roth IRA contributions restricted by Calendar Year or the Tax Year? I went to set up automatic Roth contribution and it seemed to automatically configure for a large amount, so I thought it was trying to make up lost time. Later, I came across other sources say that IRAs go by tax year but it did not explicitly for Roth IRAs.

Tax year. You can contribute to your 2019 limit until April 15 2020.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
It's by tax year. So you can make 2019 contributions up until April 15, 2020, however you need to make sure you fill out the right forms to indicate that you are in fact making a prior year contribution.

So say you win a $10k lottery ticket in March 2020. You could put half in your 2019 Roth, and then the other half in your 2020 Roth. This is assuming you didn't already max out your 2019 Roth, and also that you were qualified to contribute to a Roth IRA in 2019.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

That probably explains the Vanguard website's behavior, as it's trying to keep it as simple as possible for something meant to be automated.

Thanks for the help.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Continuing the line of questioning: What is the gooncensus on voluntary long term disability insurance from an employer? The money it would cost would never outstrip the potential benefit if something were to happen, but it still feels kinda like buying one of those crooked coverage plan on a tablet or something.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Continuing the line of questioning: What is the gooncensus on voluntary long term disability insurance from an employer? The money it would cost would never outstrip the potential benefit if something were to happen, but it still feels kinda like buying one of those crooked coverage plan on a tablet or something.

I know a lot of people who have needed and used it. I keep it on my benefits at whatever the highest level is that I can select.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not an expert but I’ve always heard that long term is worth having while short term you’re way better off just putting the same money in the bank.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Sundae posted:

I know a lot of people who have needed and used it. I keep it on my benefits at whatever the highest level is that I can select.

Here's hoping I never need it and am just wasting this money

powderific posted:

I’m not an expert but I’ve always heard that long term is worth having while short term you’re way better off just putting the same money in the bank.

Yeah I did decide to skip the cockamamie Accident insurance and the other weird stuff Aflac offers, since I have an emergency fund for that.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Long term disability is important if SSI disability benefits would not be able to cover your cost of living (realize this is on the order of $1500-$2000/mo or so), or if it's possible for you to be disabled in such a way that would prevent you from doing your usual job, but not any job (SSI only pays out if you're completely and totally disabled).

So if you work a higher paying job that requires a specialized skillset, it's probably something to look into. I tend to recommend evaluating individual policies because they 1) are portable in case you switch jobs and maybe your next employer has a crap policy or none at all, and 2) the definition of disability is usually not as strong with group policies. Since you're not talking about life insurance (can't quibble about death really), the definition really matters, and whether they cover certain things, for example disability due to mental health or substance abuse is often limited or not covered at all, varies tremendously depending on the policy.

Disability insurance is a pretty complex topic though, so if you're thinking it'd be good to have then do your research first.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Chu020 posted:

Long term disability is important if SSI disability benefits would not be able to cover your cost of living (realize this is on the order of $1500-$2000/mo or so), or if it's possible for you to be disabled in such a way that would prevent you from doing your usual job, but not any job (SSI only pays out if you're completely and totally disabled).

So if you work a higher paying job that requires a specialized skillset, it's probably something to look into. I tend to recommend evaluating individual policies because they 1) are portable in case you switch jobs and maybe your next employer has a crap policy or none at all, and 2) the definition of disability is usually not as strong with group policies. Since you're not talking about life insurance (can't quibble about death really), the definition really matters, and whether they cover certain things, for example disability due to mental health or substance abuse is often limited or not covered at all, varies tremendously depending on the policy.

Disability insurance is a pretty complex topic though, so if you're thinking it'd be good to have then do your research first.
LTD is a topic I wish I knew more about. I feel pretty confident that STD is covered by having a simple e-fund and I can skip that, but my new job has free STD/LTD and I'd like to know more about where I can get a better sense of how LTD might factor into my planning going forward. I hardly ever see it talked about on this board and it seems important but I can't get a sense for how much/if it really is.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Hoodwinker posted:

LTD is a topic I wish I knew more about. I feel pretty confident that STD is covered by having a simple e-fund and I can skip that, but my new job has free STD/LTD and I'd like to know more about where I can get a better sense of how LTD might factor into my planning going forward. I hardly ever see it talked about on this board and it seems important but I can't get a sense for how much/if it really is.

I have a LTDI policy through my employer that covers 60% of my salary, for a $25/month pretax deduction. I also carry a portable LTDI policy for another 30%, which cost about 2% of monthly payout. Like all catastrophic insurance it’s unlikely I’ll ever use it, but I have 3 dependents and it helps me sleep better.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

I have a LTDI policy through my employer that covers 60% of my salary, for a $25/month pretax deduction. I also carry a portable LTDI policy for another 30%, which cost about 2% of monthly payout. Like all catastrophic insurance it’s unlikely I’ll ever use it, but I have 3 dependents and it helps me sleep better.
I've been doing some reading tonight and it looks like the actual policy terms for group policies (the kind one gets through their company) are generally rear end, necessitating the individual (portable) policy from elsewhere. Looking at the prices for a 32 year old, I'm strongly considering it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

Is that 2% annually? Like $100k salary, you are covering 30% so $30k/year benefit. Does that cost $600/year? Is it a fixed rate for a certain time or does it go up each year?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Is that 2% annually? Like $100k salary, you are covering 30% so $30k/year benefit. Does that cost $600/year? Is it a fixed rate for a certain time or does it go up each year?

It’s paid monthly, but yes the monthly premium is equivalent to 2% of full monthly benefit. I was ale to qualify for the highest tier, and under 30. My premium is locked in. I purchased cost of living and future purchase riders, but there is a 2 year benefit limit for mental/substance disorders.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm considering cashing out some index funds to pay off my mortgage, basically as a way to reduce my risk if the market crashes (i.e. I'm expecting there to be a market crash between now and when my mortgage nominally pays off in ~9 years). As I understand it, in the worst case (no market crash until after the mortgage would be paid off anyway) I miss out on the difference between the interest rate on the mortgage and the rate of return the money would have generated in the market. In the best case (crash immediately after paying off the mortgage), I reduce my losses due to the market crash by not having to withdraw money to make mortgage payments while the market is in a slump. The realistic case is of course somewhere in the middle; I don't think it's reasonable to assume that we'll continue to be in a recovery for the full remaining duration of the mortgage.

I'm well aware that this amounts to an attempt to time the market, and that the statistically best decision, all else being equal, is to keep the mortgage so long as its interest rate (3%) is less than the long-term average market rate of return. I'd feel personally more secure with the mortgage paid off, though.

My question basically amounts to: my analysis above feels a bit simplistic, so what am I missing?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm considering cashing out some index funds to pay off my mortgage, basically as a way to reduce my risk if the market crashes (i.e. I'm expecting there to be a market crash between now and when my mortgage nominally pays off in ~9 years). As I understand it, in the worst case (no market crash until after the mortgage would be paid off anyway) I miss out on the difference between the interest rate on the mortgage and the rate of return the money would have generated in the market. In the best case (crash immediately after paying off the mortgage), I reduce my losses due to the market crash by not having to withdraw money to make mortgage payments while the market is in a slump. The realistic case is of course somewhere in the middle; I don't think it's reasonable to assume that we'll continue to be in a recovery for the full remaining duration of the mortgage.

I'm well aware that this amounts to an attempt to time the market, and that the statistically best decision, all else being equal, is to keep the mortgage so long as its interest rate (3%) is less than the long-term average market rate of return. I'd feel personally more secure with the mortgage paid off, though.

My question basically amounts to: my analysis above feels a bit simplistic, so what am I missing?

Did you account for capital gains tax on your index funds?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm well aware that this amounts to an attempt to time the market, and that the statistically best decision, all else being equal, is to keep the mortgage so long as its interest rate (3%) is less than the long-term average market rate of return.

I'm not really clear on what you're looking for here. None of have crystal balls. Well....I don't want to speak for everyone, but at least not the type that can reliably predict something that is going to topple decades of market history.

There is certainly an emotional component to this. And you need to do you, but be honest about what that is likely to cost and decide if that's worth it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I'm not really clear on what you're looking for here.

I'm not expecting you to predict the market for me, just to mention factors I had neglected to consider, such as

Sundae posted:

Did you account for capital gains tax on your index funds?

this. No I did not. That makes the mortgage payoff ~20% more expensive, which is enough that I doubt it's worth it. Thanks for the fact-check.

EDIT: not 20% total, I'm an idiot. 20% of whatever the change in value of the investment is. That's still a nontrivial chunk of money, but not quite as dire as the me of yesterday thought.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 12, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But it also should be factored into the future return rate of your investment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

None of have crystal balls.

So don't tell anyone, but I actually have one; unfortunately, the view inside is really dim and the only thing that resolves are the words "this time it's different, just like the last time."

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

None of have crystal balls

Crystal balls may be bad with money

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1194062297284648960

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

If poo poo hits the fan, you lose your job, and you run out of cash on hand, you can always sell index funds in order to make your mortgage payments so you don't lose your house. Obviously this isn't ideal, but in a worst case scenario you probably would like to avoid foreclosure

Edit: this is only if you're not paying off the entire mortgage. Not sure if you are or not, but even if you are, it's relevant to others that may consider the same question.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the issue is that your index fund value is probably negatively correlated with your odds of losing your job. your efund should cover singificant market based risk and allow you to cover your mortgage for a period of X

this is why people don't advocate putting efunds in the market

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Agreed, I'm talking about a scenario so bad that even a solid emergency fund isn't sufficient.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I think they sell insurance for those sorts of scenarios...

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

The benefits are low volatility “return”, improved monthly cash flow and peace of mind. The drawbacks are loss of liquidity, inability to claim mortgage deduction on taxes, and poor return compared to historic stock market.

I treat my mortgage payoff as my “bond” allocation. So while I’m paying it off faster than scheduled, I don’t devote a lot of my portfolio to it.

Loss of liquidity can be compensated with insurance and a HELOC.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
My job also offers Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness, Legal, and Accident coverages (separately) but they all seemed unnecessary when my job already gives me free LTD and STD plus I pay for the regular health insurances.

Does anyone use these or think they have value? Feels like a cash grab to me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

My job also offers Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness, Legal, and Accident coverages (separately) but they all seemed unnecessary when my job already gives me free LTD and STD plus I pay for the regular health insurances.

What is hospital indemnity? What is your field?

If you have a propensity to cancer critical illness might be worth it, legal is almost certainly not, and if you do dangerous hobbies accident could be assuming they aren't excluded.

LTD and term life are the big ones. I wouldn't get life insurance from your work though, it is almost certainly cheaper and better to get it on your own.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

I get free STD and LTD from my work too, but the thing is that group policies for disability insurance tend to be limited in both their coverage and ability to claim. I'd worry less about STD because a good emergency fund covers that, but you might want to look into an individual policy for LTD at some point. As for the others, I'm picking up the group legal coverage next year because I'm buying a house and the total annual cost is only like $200. AD&D I wouldn't worry about either (that's the accident coverage) though I guess that all depends on the nature of your work. I'm not sure about the other two.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Mad Wack posted:

I haven't looked into it much myself, so I appreciate the discussion here.

My work has free (no cost to me) Life (1 x salary), AD&D (1 x salary), Business Travel Accident (2 x salary), STD (1 x salary), and LTD (1 x salary). Not sure how common this is.

I don't have any dependents, so I figure this is sufficient for me for now. Maybe I should be worried about losing my job and having an accident before I have coverage from a new job. :shrug:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Who needs a job when I can just hit up Craigslist to get my STD?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does the goon hivemind still dislike health savings accounts? I'm going through ope enrollment at work and apparently any money that you put into an HSA doesn't expire at the end of the year if you don't spend it, and you can take it with you if you leave the company. Seems like it might be OK to put in :10bux: per paycheck for the one or two times a year that I go to the doctor, provided I actually remember that I have the account.

E: Got FSA and HSA twisted in my head.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 15, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HSAs are good. I think you're confusing it with an FSA, which is less good but if you're in the right situation (predictable healthcare costs for things like prescriptions, medical supplies, etc) can work well.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
HSAs are awesome, I recommend maxing one out after other tax advantaged savings (401k, IRA, etc.) are maxed out and emergency fund is taken care of.

If you can afford it, don’t use it to pay for healthcare expenses. Invest it, save receipts, and pay yourself back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Goon hivemind definitely loves HSAs. They’re amazing.

My family’s HSA balance is actually larger than my personal IRA balance. One might think, oh no, he hasn’t saved enough! But actually my HSA balance is just freakin huge. Also I have a lot of 6% student debt that I’m paying down instead of dumping into IRA stuff rn.

DNK fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 15, 2019