Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nah, I just like making fun of bad things, also think it’s genuinely pretty lovely for Huss to essentially eu license out his bad webcomic (which I’m certain he’ll be making money off of) that itself apparently also needs to be crowdfunded? Like, financially underwrite your passive money making machine dude, don’t make the people writing and drawing it have to ask the public for the finances you should be providing for a project you are directly profiting from.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

doos posted:

However, 30 pages of primarily Dirk wanking on about how smart, depressed, powerful, lonely, and talented he is, doesn't set a good precedence, for me.

It feels like Dirk is being set up for an immediate rear end kicking as soon as he lands, what with the whole "my plan is foolproof" villain bragging and Rose's ominous warnings he's blatantly ignoring so hopefully that happens soon.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

Nah, I just like making fun of bad things, also think it’s genuinely pretty lovely for Huss to essentially eu license out his bad webcomic (which I’m certain he’ll be making money off of) that itself apparently also needs to be crowdfunded? Like, financially underwrite your passive money making machine dude, don’t make the people writing and drawing it have to ask the public for the finances you should be providing for a project you are directly profiting from.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You may remember that, even with print revenues, Paradox Space lost money, and that was still during the original Homestuck frenzy. It is also true that the first time around, the artists and musicians didn't get paid. Maybe Homestuck 2.0 will bring in vast cash through other routes. Right now, they are no ads, there are server costs, and the artists, writers, and hypothetical musicians need to eat.

It's still free to read.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's still free to read.

Unless you want to read any of the patreon bonus content

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Nighthand posted:

Not for nothing, but there are browser extensions/addons that add the book content/commentary to the relevant pages (Act 1 through 5-1).

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm starting to think HOMESTUCK is going to outlive me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the homestuck brand

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may remember that, even with print revenues, Paradox Space lost money, and that was still during the original Homestuck frenzy. It is also true that the first time around, the artists and musicians didn't get paid. Maybe Homestuck 2.0 will bring in vast cash through other routes. Right now, they are no ads, there are server costs, and the artists, writers, and hypothetical musicians need to eat.

It's still free to read.

As I recall, the musicians got a percentage of the bandcamp sales.

Also, I'd be willing to wager that the patreon revenue was Kate's idea, as that's how they fund most of their creative projects.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Nighthand posted:

That poo poo is going to get grabbed and reposted immediately though

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Impressions so far: it's pretty good, but I'm not automatically on board in the same way as I was with, even, the Epilogues. This is a new thing and it needs to win me over by itself.

Rose seems off-voice. I suppose part of that could be the fact that she's being partially puppeted by Dirk, isn't in on the full extent of the grift he's running, and is interred in a robot body that probably has subroutines actively working to make her stupid and agreeable. Still, it's depressing to see an adult Rose being, essentially, subservient to an aspect of Doc Scratch. She may be mildly sassy to Dirk, but she's still marching to his orders, being mentally prodded into obeying him, and isn't privy to important information that's vital to his plan. It's weird that she's okay with all that, given how she's historically reacted to being kept out of the loop by authority figures. Maybe she genuinely believes Dirk sees her as a peer? Is Rose that easy to manipulate?

The writing's uneven. This opening segment clearly had multiple writers working on it, and some are better than others. Few typoes here and there, but it's not like Hussie was immune to that. I could do with a protagonist being introduced, and I'm interested to see how they do that in a realm where Dirk is narrating everything that happens. Despite all this though, I'm looking forward to more. Good luck, Homestuck 2 writers!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 28, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also curious about why they took the solo albums down. Genesis Frog is a real treasure and I'm glad I bought it years ago - it would be sad if it was permanently inaccessible.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's not real clear why WP decided to 'retire' the old albums, but the musicians are allowed to upload them under their own names. I know that both Strife!, and Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido are already back up, and Eric Scheele's said he's reuploading One Year Older pretty soon. I guess the rest are up to the individual musicians. I think that leaves Song of Skaia, and Prospit & Derse. So. I guess, bother those people?

e: Also we lost Wanderers and Squiddles, apparently.

e2: Genesis Frog is here: https://albatrosssoup.bandcamp.com/album/genesis-frog

e3: Solatrus said on Twitter that he's releasing Prospit and Derse on his Bandcamp soon, our last holdout is Mark Hadley.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 28, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Quote is not edit!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

e: Also we lost Wanderers and Squiddles, apparently.

Those two got merged into numbered albums years ago.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When did this happen? I can't find any of those tracks in the main albums.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Those two got merged into numbered albums years ago.

Did they? I was just looking at the Squiddles album last week when I was browsing the Homestuck bandcamp hunting for Cherubim. And looking through the numbered albums now, I can't see most of the Squiddles tracks.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, with the talk from Dirk about how their task is part of an important cosmic mechanism, plus the recap line about this being "the most important Sburb session in the history of existence", I'm guessing the session they're about to run may end up facilitating the creation of Sburb itself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

can't wait to meet the InDev kids

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm sort of surprised there aren't ads. Maybe they didn't want to let anybody outside the team know about the surprise, and there will be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm sort of surprised there aren't ads. Maybe they didn't want to let anybody outside the team know about the surprise, and there will be.
I’m sad Project Wonderful is dead if only because it was fun seeing ad prices shoot up in relation to a major update or the end of a hiatus.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Did they? I was just looking at the Squiddles album last week when I was browsing the Homestuck bandcamp hunting for Cherubim. And looking through the numbered albums now, I can't see most of the Squiddles tracks.

I'm sure Squiddles got merged into volume 5 at one point, and I thought some of the other small albums had similar fates, but maybe either it got undone or it only got discussed? I don't know, it was so long ago and any evidence one way or another is gone.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Apparently Homestuck 2 wasn't enough excitement for this week

https://twitter.com/homestuck/status/1189278931456839682?s=19

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, that was posted the same minute as as gif about Gamzee being in this week's Pesterquest update, so it's probably that?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

We already knew about Gamzee. This is something else.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Dirk as the antagonist more than Bec Noir, Lord English, or Caliborn (bit of a tie with Doc Scratch). The story choosing to focus on the navel-gazing, fourth-wall-breaking, up-its-own-rear end Weird Plot poo poo may be coming at the expense of other parts of Homestuck, but it's probably the deepest hook the comic's got in me so I can stomach the self-indulgence.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to him getting dunked on by somebody whose dialogue is more bearable though.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/dirkdialectic/status/1189277264518799360

Oh boy, guess it's time to buckle up!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
43 of those pages are just a to scale drawing of vriskas immense girth

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pesterquest update! And goddamn, is Gamzee's music creepy. Nice work.

e: Spectacular. And I love the Boldir bit so much.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 30, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pesterquest update! And goddamn, is Gamzee's music creepy. Nice work.

e: Spectacular. And I love the Boldir bit so much.

Same. Also Worst End is such an amazing track.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looks like Doc Scratch is at it again.

Also, who the gently caress was that T-posing fucker?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Has anybody figured out how to get the two empty slots on the chumroll?

e: If you look carefully at page 29 of Homestuck 2, you'll see that Maplehoof (wearing Dirk's trickster outfit) is holding what looks like two Sburb disks ... labeled DAVE.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 30, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

As the resident chump who dropped five bucks on the patreon, I figured y'all would want to know that the first 'behind the scenes' update dropped. Not going to post the whole thing, but a little snippet the thread will probably enjoy:

Regarding the brief time the ask box was open posted:

There were only two things about the response which were completely predictable: first, that there would be an ungodly number of entries, and second that the vast majority of those entries would be some variation of telling Dirk to go gently caress himself. Off the top of my head, I think there were about 25 unique instances of the phrase "eat poo poo and die", just to give some idea of what we were looking at. The internet is a wild, chaotic place sometimes, but it's nice to know that some things are dead certain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

By the way, it was accidental that the $5 tier included access to all of that stuff; when I went back just now, it was locked unless you were in the $20 tier.

Who's the biggest chump? It's me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has anybody figured out how to get the two empty slots on the chumroll?

e: If you look carefully at page 29 of Homestuck 2, you'll see that Maplehoof (wearing Dirk's trickster outfit) is holding what looks like two Sburb disks ... labeled DAVE.

Hint: It's when you play FLARP with Vriska.

Try for Petticoat Seagrift class and name your character Vriska. For the other one go for Boy Skylark and name your character Tavros.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks! Do the hovers work for you? They don't for me.

e: Per Twitter, also Equine Linebacker also has a special response, but doesn't grant a new chum.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 30, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hint: It's when you play FLARP with Vriska.

Try for Petticoat Seagrift class and name your character Vriska. For the other one go for Boy Skylark and name your character Tavros.

I can't replay right now, but I'm curious, what happens when you do these things?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can't replay right now, but I'm curious, what happens when you do these things?

Not much, a few funny lines and the hidden chums unlocked.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/homestuck/status/1189905252365086720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nice. Lots of content lately.