Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the Armenian massacre vote, three house members voted present. One was Ilan Omar. She released a statement saying that she was glad that people were finally acknowledging the genocide, that it isn't something that should be used as a political tool, and that the USA should also acknowledge numerous other genocides including our own against americans natives.

No she didn't specifically say that the Armenian genocide was one, it was a bad vote and bad statement imo.

She's still good but that was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flynn's lawyers are filing stuff alleging that bullshit conspiracy theories are true and are demanding brady material for them. They raised a bunch of new defenses in their reply following the state's response to flynn's motion demanding exculpatory material he alleges the state has and lied about. This is not allowed by procedure rules in most jurisdictions. The filing is asking the judge whether they need to bother typing up a reply or not. It's easy to poo poo all over these dumb conspiracy theories if necessary, but there seems to be some indication that the Court is just gonna toss Flynn's batshit pleading altogether rending the sur-reply moot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

No she didn't specifically say that the Armenian genocide was one, it was a bad vote and bad statement imo.

She's still good but that was bad.

Twitter isn't quite working for me so I'm transcribing:

"I believe accountability for human rights violations -- especially ethnic cleansing and genocide -- is paramount. But accountability and recognition of genocide should not be used as a cudgel in a political fight. It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics. A true acknowledgment of historical crimes against humanity must include both the heinous genocides of the 20th century, along with earlier mass slaughters like the transatlantic slave trade and Native American genocide, which took the lives of hundreds of millions of indigenous people in this country. For this reason, I voted 'present' on final passage of H.Res 296, the resolution Affirming the United States record on the Armenian Genocide."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Nice! posted:

"I believe accountability for human rights violations -- especially ethnic cleansing and genocide -- is paramount. But accountability and recognition of genocide should not be used as a cudgel in a political fight. It should be done based on academic consensus outside the push and pull of geopolitics. A true acknowledgment of historical crimes against humanity must include both the heinous genocides of the 20th century, along with earlier mass slaughters like the transatlantic slave trade and Native American genocide, which took the lives of hundreds of millions of indigenous people in this country. For this reason, I voted 'present' on final passage of H.Res 296, the resolution Affirming the United States record on the Armenian Genocide."

Does she clarify whether or not she believes there was an Armenian genocide at any point? Because this statement reads like shes trying to weasel out of a comment on it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

so if those were the ones being voted on, would she abstain then too, or not?

it's a bad look, and i'm sad.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
What's that got to do with anything? Seriously, bending over backwards to figure out a way this isn't bad doesn't change that it's a bad vote.

We cant prosecute Trump because we haven't prosecuted all crimes ever? It's a crap argument and rings hallow.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Chichevache posted:

Does she clarify whether or not she believes there was an Armenian genocide at any point?

No.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1189325468551602179

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1189309113135697920?s=19

I'm not going to hate her but it was still dumb and bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ouch those twitter replies

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
See above. She has no issue acknowledging the genocide. She didn't vote no. She didn't vote on principle because it was a resolution being pushed through because we're just trying to condemn Turkey for their invasion of Kurdish Syria and their ongoing current genocide. She's saying "yo you shouldn't be cherry picking this poo poo." She didn't vote against it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She needs to be more careful with stuff like this. There's millions of idiots ready to jump her for waking up in the morning, and she leaves out a statement of of recognition that would be the simple and right thing to do.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah just look at how much you idiots have already typed up about this

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A good vote, this is only coming up now because Trump got repeatedly owned by the turks and uh... gently caress the republicans. Give them nothing and obstruct anything they want to do simply because they want to do it.

It's not like a single one of them wakes up in the morning and doesn't think Joe Manchin is a baby-eating communist

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

A good vote, this is only coming up now because Trump got repeatedly owned by the turks and uh... gently caress the republicans. Give them nothing and obstruct anything they want to do simply because they want to do it.

It's not like a single one of them wakes up in the morning and doesn't think Joe Manchin is a baby-eating communist

Joe Manchin becoming a baby-eating communist would be an improvement.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1189309113135697920?s=19

I'm not going to hate her but it was still dumb and bad.

This is minor in terms of the lovely votes congresspeople make but picking a battle over timing and not substance sure is lame. There aren't going to be any votes in congress untainted by ulterior motives.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Heh.

EXACT TRANSCRIPT

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

HERE WE GO BOYS

WE GOT OURSELVES A COVERUP

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I just love that the everyday people who are massive trump supporters kept parroting "look at the transcript everything was fine" and now its being confirmed that the WH was editing the poo poo out of it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Heh.

EXACT TRANSCRIPT

Yeah, it's a shocking development that the mystery ellipses were used to hide complete HEY LET'S DO A CRIME HERE admissions.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1189351304671453187

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gotta love Republicans. Call you a hero and send you of to Iraq, then when you come home and blow the whistle on a serious abuse of power you're an ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

Gotta love Republicans. Call you a hero and send you of to Iraq, then when you come home and blow the whistle on a serious abuse of power you're an ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

I cannot stress how much they hate the wrong type of troop

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deathy McDeath posted:

HERE WE GO BOYS

WE GOT OURSELVES A COVERUP

So the Nixon tapes, but we'll never get to hear/see them because they'll drag it out for years fighting in court?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

So the Nixon tapes, but we'll never get to hear/see them because they'll drag it out for years fighting in court?

You must be fun at parties

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i said it before but this is like the nixon tapes except instead of the periods of silence, it starts off with 'this is tricky dick here, welcome to jackass'

(you are now re-reading that line in nixon from futurama's voice)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nixon being in futurama was a stroke of genius in all ways

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Had dinner with my dad the other night and he said he thought it was always funny when his grandpa would start cussing out Nixon or Reagan on the tv. Now he's the one doing it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im sad the zap branigan reads trump tweets thing stopped, but i imagine having to read them that often was causing brain damage

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nixon being in futurama was a stroke of genius in all ways

NIXON'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Futurama getting cancelled forever while Family Guy gets to pip pip along is a goddamn travesty.

Billy West is a goddamn national treasure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Futurama getting cancelled forever while Family Guy gets to pip pip along is a goddamn travesty.

If you think that's bad look at what replaced King of the Hill

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Yeah but Futurama was getting more mediocre as time went along, so it was probably good that they ended it when they did. A lot of people can't stand the post-revival episodes / movies at all. I enjoy them, but I'm happy with how they did the finale.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The reason futurama is good is because it ended

The reason the Simpsons and family guy aren’t is because they will never end.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm very satisfied with the ending. Shows that end when they're still good are the ones I go back and re-watch the most.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I havent seen them in years, im tempted to rewatch through all again.

"head in a jar" really worked for them as a plot device, huh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If only they had done Avery Brooks in a jar

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

The reason futurama is good is because it ended

The reason the Simpsons and family guy aren’t is because they will never end.

Family Guy was never "good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EBB posted:

I'm very satisfied with the ending. Shows that end when they're still good are the ones I go back and re-watch the most.

On the other hand I will never be satisfied with Deadwood.