Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LifeLynx posted:

18. Nightmare Cinema

The wraparound segment was whatever. People go into this movie theater, they see themselves starring in their short little movie, and then they die. There's Mickey Rourke as a projectionist sleepwalking through his role. I don't know why he was there at all, the creepy movie theater was good enough on its own. #1 and #4 made the movie worth it.

The movie was done by Mick Garris and the people behind Masters of Horror/Fear Itself so they were trying to pitch a new tv anthology with Rourke as the Crypt Keeper. When that failed they threw it together as a movie which is why all the "episodes" are so disconnected from the wraparound except for the one done by Garris (the last one).

I watched it way back at the start of the month but I thought 1, 4, and 5 all had something decent to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

23. The Lure
This was wild. Probably my favorite Polish horror musical about killer mermaids. The music is pretty good, the story is interesting, and the visual effects are really well done. I enjoyed it.
4/5

24. I Saw the Devil
This was intense and brutal. Bong Joon-Ho knows how to utilize silence and stillness at just the right moments to heighten the gravity of a scene. Every single time he does this during this movie I was just pulled further in to the violent world created here. I was fully hooked for the duration of the film and was not disappointed in the conclusion. The film is nearly 2 and a half hours long but the pace is perfect.
5/5

25. The Lighthouse
From the director of The Vvitch comes a film that Videogame Dunkey called "spooky clerks." This movie lives or dies by the strength of the performances of the two actors involved and Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson absolutely deliver. The Vvitch as a film has this feeling of cold and isolation throughout. I'd say the Lighthouse has a feeling of wet, cold, and isolation. This one put my current work situation into perspective. I don't love it here, but it's definitely better than the hard manual labor and terrible coworkers in this one. The Lighthouse is super good.
5/5

26. The Skin I Live In
This one is a wild loving ride. The story unfolds layer by layer and each new reveal lends additional meaning to the previous one. It's such a twisted tale. I am still processing this one. Recommendation is to go into this one without any previous knowledge.
4/5

27. Wrinkles the Clown
This is a documentary about a creepy clown with a phone number posted around in Florida. There's enough interesting content in here to fill about 20 minutes but instead the length is padded out with a bunch of crap. A bunch of the doc is just kids talking to a camera crew or via skype about how they are interested in Wrinkles or they're scared of him or they just like to call his number up for fun. The creepy videos of Wrinkles all look staged so the reveal late in the movie that they were rehearsed and staged is kind of like "well, yeah, of course they were" There's just not much here. I'd give it a pass or skip to the last 20 minutes for the interesting bits.
1/5

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm so behind on write-ups and I'm sorry for that. I'm not even close to behind on the challenge though I veered a bit from my Letterboxd plans. Gonna split these up a bit.

13)The MutilatorIt's like the writer had his uncle's beach house for a weekend, a bunch of coke and just learned what Chekov's Gun was. I think this works quite well for an also-ran 80s slasher that I won't be able to apart from another one in a week. Ending that comes close to Pieces level goof troop. 3/5

14) Viy
: Never ever would have watched this if not for Scream Stream. It really takes its time but it builds nicely to a real wild conclusion. 4/5

15) Mystics in Bali
: One of those bad movies that you've heard of or seen clips of but it's Nic Cage Wickerman level bad where you should just stick to a greatest hits compilation on Youtube. 2/5

16) Effects
: Interesting little early 70s indie horror I found on Shudder. It definitely keeps you wondering what is going on and who, if anyone, is loving with whom. Early appearance by one Tom Savini here but he doesn't have much to do and, ironically, there are almost no actual effects in this film. I don't think it quite sticks the landing but a film today with this plot could be something. 3/5

17) Zombi*
: Rewatch but from when I was 15 or something. I only remembered those two scenes that everyone remembers. I expected this to be as average as I remembered but it's significantly better. Glides by at a fun clip and never lets up with its action or gore. I'd be hard pressed to call it a masterpiece but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to watch any zombie movies these days and I'd throw this on tonight with some friends and some beers. 4/5

18) Bad Moon
: I'm genuinely surprised this movie doesn't get talked about at all. Great little werewolf flick with some top tier gore effects. Takes the unique POV of the family dog who knows something up - a role usually reserved for precocious kids. A++ dog acting, 85 minutes well spent. 3.5/5

19)The Guest*
: This is one of my go to Halloween season watches. To me, this is a modern masterpiece. Dan Stevens is brilliant in his role as definitely-not-Captain-America, oscillating between family friend and barely holding it together. Consistently laugh out loud funny while the intensity never ramps down. I desperately want these guys to get another crack at a movie that isn't studio focus grouped from hell to breakfast. Dan Stevens coming out of that comically steamy shower made me bi. 5/5

20) The Lighthouse
: I think this is a little less funny than everyone is making it out to be but it's still funnier than I ever expected it to be. Gorgeous, haunting and absorbing. Complete immersion from the first frame to the last note of the closing credits song. Eggers sometimes zigs when he should have zagged into one straight-forward moment towards the end and the movie suffers for it. I'm not sure the last time I was immersed in this movie. My friend and I were desperate for food after a late show and all that was left was as Buffalo Wild Wings. Walking into there was a sudden aesthetic overload and I felt completely out of time and space. I've started to despise going to the theaters but the big screen is definitely the way to see this. 4/5 but will probably only appreciate in value over time

1) One Cut of the Dead 2) Castle Freak 3) The Void 4) Knife + Heart 5) Spookies 6) Hell Night 7) Amsterdamned 8) Who Can Kill a Child? 9) Seventh Curse 10) Lake Mungo* 11) Halloween 2018 12) Terrified 13) The Mutilator 14) Viy 15) Mystics in Bali 16) Effects 17) Zombi* 18) Bad Moon 19) The Guest* 20) The Lighthouse

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers
29. Lawnmower Man 2

I was going to write a detailed summary so you would know all about the group of hacking kids who team up with a microchip creator to stop Jobe from controlling the internet, but no. It's better if you don't know the details. It's too dumb.

Some other evil corporation finds Jobe's body after the explosion that ended the first, and reconstructs him. But didn't he upload his consciousness into the internet last time? Yeah well he's mostly human again for some reason. The new actor does get to do a Jim Carrey impression for a bit, though, so I guess it was all worthwhile.

I was concerned that this might not count but thankfully IMDB counts this as a thriller. The first film has some legitimate scenes of horror. This... this does not.

Please don't watch Lawnmower Man 2.
:spooky:/5

(rewatch) Hausu

This movie is just a weird wonderful delight.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back
30. Seed of Chucky

Well, I’d seen the rest, so I might as well watch the one that I inadvertently skipped, right? I generally like meta horror movies, but this one didn’t do it for me. Maybe too much puppet masturbation, maybe? It does a pretty good job of handling gender identity though, which is impressive.
:spooky::spooky:/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 4!

#67: The Curse

What fantastic movie. The Curse is great, a must see for horror fans and especially found footage fans.

I needed to say that right off the bat because I got a couple things to say that's going to sound negative

The Curse is one of those movies I've been meaning to get around to seeing one of these says for years. Earlier this month I watched Occult by the same director, and as reported it loving blew me away. Plus I now have One Cut of the Dead as my new I really oughta get around to that one of these days movies. So it seemed like a perfect time to finally watch The Curse. Which is slightly unfortunate, because that means I kinda automatically was comparing it to Occult, like the one movie that The Curse doesn't look as good compared to.

The Curse has a much more traditional story. While the fantastic execution of the found footage presentation elevates it a hell of a lot, I could still easily imagine this same story told as a traditional movie. Which would be fine, I wouldn't have even brought that up if I hadn't just watched Occult. Which is a completely unique descent into madness built where the plot is built around the fact that it's a documentary.

One thing that would bug me even in an Occult-Free context is the psychic guy. Crazy guy wrapped in tin foil was not great. Kinda hosed with my ability to accept the reality of the movie.

That's the negative stuff out of the way.

The acting is fantastic. The writing is great. The plotting is tight and keeps moving forward at a fast pace. The way the horror is built around little things, like a guy picking up a pigeon or the absence of dogs, is great. The special effects are super restrained and very effective.

The Curse is a fantastic movie, I heartily recommend it to everyone. Just don't watch Occult first.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Nah homie the tinfoil hat guy is like the best part of Noroi!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#163) The Corpse Grinders 3 (2012)
Tubi. While Ted V. Mikels directed the first two, this one is directed by Manolito Motosierra, who would go on to direct Spanish Chainsaw Massacre five years later; Mikels just produces this one. And wow, this makes Mikels' entries look polished and capable. A cat food factory goes out of business after its food kills a cat, and then an American buys it to reopen. For... reasons... they go back to using corpses for the ingredients. Things get out of hand from there.

This film had Spanish actors delivering English lines that seemed to be phonetically memorized (at least, I hope the accents they used weren't an artistic choice), bad sound mixing, wobbly camera-work, and difficulties with focus. But at least the failings here seemed to be due to lack of ability, and not lack of effort (unlike, say, The Legend of Bloody Jack or Camp Blood 2). There were clear efforts to make the lighting interesting, the music was playful, and the sets (while woefully under-dressed) were suitably grimy. Not something I would rewatch voluntarily, unlike the other two in the series, but it could have been slightly worse.

:spooky: rating: 3/10

"Two handsome young boys like you, you'll find jobs right away."

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: All Hail The King
31. In the Tall Grass

Getting lost in a field has some potential has a horror base, and Patrick Wilson is great, but it doesn’t gel together well. The plot is overly convoluted and confusing and the timelines don’t really feel like they work together in a sensible manner.
:spooky::spooky:/5

(rewatch) Train to Busan

Far more emotional than a zombie movie has any right to be. Just a bad dad learning how to be a good dad. *sniff*
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!
32. April Fool’s Day

A very rich girl invites her preppy friends to her family's private island/vacation home for a weeklong getaway and they start dying. Cute, but mostly predictable twists and completely unlikable protagonists drag it down. They all have such serious boring white people problems like "my school counselor thinks I'm not serious enough to be a doctor" so they aren't particularly relatable.

Not enough movies feature April Fool's Day pranks, though.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

poo poo, I pledged for 31 movies but if I watch all the movies I plan to I'm gonna end up with 75. And then I won't be able to bear the thought of watching another movie for the rest of the year

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#20. Spellcaster (1992).

A group of people win a contest to spend a week in an Italian caste with their favorite rock star for a chance to wil a million dollars. However a sorcerer picks them off with magic.

Originally shot in '88, this released in '92. It reminds me of Spookies with a more coherent plot (it still is bare bones), but less cool effects. The characters are generally lovely people, so its just waiting for them to die. Oh, Adam Ant shows up too. It's a fun little flick in the end.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#164) Jigsaw (2002)
Tubi. Put this on, saw the Full Moon credit, said "Ah, poo poo," and let it keep playing. A class of a half-dozen engage in their final project, taking a fragmented mannequin and decorating the pieces individually, then reassembling it. Since this is horror and not a drama, it then comes to life and kills its creators.

The tone of this was out of line with the usual Full Moon fare. No puppets, no jumbo-sized sets, no ethnic stereotypes beyond rednecks, and comparatively little T&A. There was misogyny, bad indie rock, and terrible dialogue, though. Further diverting it from the rest of the studio's catalog, the movie spends almost its first half on building characters and their relationships, so it can put the mannequin to work killing off the characters according to their confessed fears. That's the claim made in the summary, at least; in execution, it just kills them off without any motifs. It also touches on real-life horror (namely molestation). It's kind of like a cut-rate version of The Fear (1995), but the bare-bones production generally works in the story's favor.

Less successful are the vibes of a self-doubting attempt at an art film, with grabs at wider appeal cutting the legs out from under that impulse. The college students feel nothing like college students, but they do feel a hell of a lot like parts of a college student's attempt at a creative writing story. We've got the stupid jock, the blandly likable student telegraphed as the final girl, the abuse survivor, the joke-packing nerd, the woman in an abusive relationship, and the fault-loaded professor. The core of the movie involves the students hanging out with their professor at a bar, late at night. Instead of making decisions based on the character backgrounds we've been given, they get pushed into disjointed trains of action leading to predictable ends and stock sound effects, with a limp conclusion to cap it off.

I did like the mannequin's final design, though.

:spooky: rating: 4/10

"Don't do anything I couldn't do."

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 30, 2019

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
super hype that I got tickets for the early fandango screening of doctor sleep tomorrow. I mean I've already surpassed my goal, but excited to squeeze it in

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 5!

#68: Home Movie

This turned out to be pretty good! Dad's a priest, mom's a psychologist. When their kids start acting evil she thinks they're psychotic, he thinks they're possessed. Cue horrible unprofessionalism from both of them.

At first I thought the opening shot, of a dead dog, was really gross and unnecessary and edgy. But I quickly decided it was basically a content warning. "Yup, the dog's gonna die. If you aren't cool with that, turn off now"

You're never more than five minutes away from the kids doing something evil. After a bunch of found footage movies that spend forever getting to anything scary, it's nice to see Home Movie just go full on evil kids.

I really liked how realistic it was kept. Nothing unarguably supernatural happens. Either parent could be right. And the evil stuff was kept at regular evil kid level, until it wasn't at which point the school and the parents reacted appropriately.

The acting was pretty good. Especially because all the kids had to do was stand there looking evil for like 95% of their screentime

Any movie where a parent can 100% sincerely say to their ten year old kids "if you move I'll break every bone in your loving body" while still being the good guy at least gets points for that.

Home Movie is a solid found footage movie, and a solid evil kid movie. Would recommend to fans of either of those.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gripweed posted:

Youtube Movie Marathon Part 5!

#68: Home Movie

Home Movie is a solid found footage movie, and a solid evil kid movie. Would recommend to fans of either of those.
Is this Adrian Pasdar, 2008?

It turns out searching for "home movie horror" in Youtube yields many results.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

Is this Adrian Pasdar, 2008?

It turns out searching for "home movie horror" in Youtube yields many results.

That's the one

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

35. From Beyond (1986)
Watched On: Tubi
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Watch a horror movie you haven't seen about CYBERSPACE/computers/haunted technology/etc.

At its core, this movie is about technology allowing us to see beyond the veil of reality into worlds we can't handle. It is also about brain snakes, BDSM and big ol' goopy puppets.

After watching Reanimator for this challenge, it was nice to see Barbara Crampton get some more agency and action in this. Her and Jeffrey Coombs make a compelling pair, along with the spectacularly nasty performance by Ted Sorel. It's not as funny as Reanimator was, but it makes up for that lacking in sheer gross special effects. The creatures from the resonator's dimension, both as classic claymation ghosts and the full body makeup of Pretorius's transformation are excellent and let you know exactly what kind of movie this is. It's definitely a movie that rides the border of good taste, but I feel like it doesn't cross it as jarringly as Reanimator does.

I've gone from never having seen a Gordon film to potentially finishing off my Super Samhain Challenges with a double feature and I definitely see the appeal. They're unabashed B-movies, but with a lot of technical craft and buckets of blood and I can't wait to finish off my challenges with his take on The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#165) Boy Eats Girl (2005), a.k.a., Scary Video 5
An Irish teen zom-rom-com. Teen bloke offs himself, gets rezzed by his ma, and then the zombie affliction starts to spread.

As a teen-focused zombie movie, this was worlds better than Zombie Transfusion. As far as Irish horror goes, I didn't dig it as much as Stitches. Teens felt real enough, though simplified, there was some weapponizing of regular objects that went beyond the average zombie movie level, and more of the jokes landed than not. Also, someone gets their dick bitten off, with a big ol' spray of blood. Good effects work all around, with one really triumphant sequence (it's a fuckin' farm thresher going through a field of zombies, hell yeah). What's holding my rating down is that, as fun as the movie was (and I did get some solid laughs out of it), it felt a little too scattered. It went from A to B to C reasonably enough, but the threading of the plot leaned too heavily on 'of course this would happen next,' at times, if that makes sense. Not quite to the level of Clinger, but up there in the gaggle of supernatural teen romance horror comedies, for sure. Good soundtrack, too.

:spooky: rating: 6/10

"I'm getting arthritis just breathing the same air as these people."

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

9. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) (Neflix Streaming) :spooky: Super Samhain Challenge #1 - The Best Month :spooky:

"Every body has a secret." - Tommy

I had low expectations going in, but this was a decent movie. The world can always use more Brian Cox.

I'm not sure what I was expecting the autopsy to reveal, but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be witch related, as this subject hasn't been as played out as some things it could have been.

I don't recall why I avoided watching this before now, but I think someone whose opinion I normally trust said it wasn't that great. I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

3/5

10. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - Rewatch (DVD)

"Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!" - Freddy Krueger

This is where the Nightmare series hits its stride. Freddy is more fleshed out and has more to do, and there is a lot more dream logic on display. Some of the practical effects are really nice as well, although the stop-motion skeleton fight is a little lame. This lays the foundation for the next few films, with the inclusion of Sister Mary Helena and the introduction of the dream warrior concept.

3.5/5

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: ALL HAIL THE KING:siren:

Masque of the Red Death
Youtube

I’m a fan of the Poe short story that this is based on, so I was excited to see a rendition of this starring Vincent Price. It seems like a great choice for adaptation to film, because the original short is both a closed-set affair, and the setting is described as a series of avant-garde monochrome rooms. What more could you want?

Unfortunately, you’d have to add something to expand this story to a feature length runtime, and I didn’t really care for what they chose to add. All of this satanism business doesn’t build upon or develop the story in a meaningful way, and actually detracts from what’s there. It feels like they were just trying to layer on more scandalous stuff to sell tickets.

The thing about the Poe story is that the center of pleasure is located in the tempting, if ghoulish, notion that the poor of the earth might enjoy a supernatural vengeance. It’s an inversion of the beatitudes, where the rich are brought to ruin. Because of this, it would have been fine (if potentially dull) to linger on Prince Prospero and cohorts delighting in hedonism to build up their villainy, but ascribing a supernatural aspect to this, making them agents of satan, muddles the cosmology of what was formerly a tight story where the reader/viewer delights in a chilling fantasy where inescapable death has become the grim leveler of a unjust world.

Plus it was all just sort of dull. The film does better at expanding the source material when it’s adding new characters, like the dancers plotting their own revenge, or the peasant girl abducted to be Prospero’s concubine (though it seemed as if her boyfriend simply disappeared from the movie after infiltrating the castle??)

This one didn’t do much for me. I love the costumes of the phantoms, though.

2/5

:siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade:siren:

XX
Netflix

This is an anthology of four horror shorts by four women directors. I liked this one a lot!

The first short is a novel concept: a child, after being shown the contents of a mysterious parcel by a stranger, permanently loses all appetite. His parents struggle to try to coax him to eat, and to understand what happened, as a rift grows between them. This exploration of trauma and parenting anxieties was genuinely chilling in a way that I so rarely find.

The second short is, by contrast, a black comedy. A mother, who is ridden with guilt over the accusation that her own anxious behavior is instilling an anxiety complex in her daughter, goes to extreme lengths to try and prevent the girl from being exposed to a gruesome circumstance that’s occurred on her birthday. This one was fun and charming.

The third short is a dud. Characters on a camping trip encounter a skinwalker. All the characters were annoying and this was just a boilerplate slasher surrounded by more inventive fare.

The fourth short is like a check-in on Rosemary’s Baby, 18 years later. A mother and her son struggle to reconcile their relationship as the son is pulled towards a dark calling. This one was a little bit passé, I felt, but I liked the way that it ended, which was a refreshing twist.

It’s also worth mentioning that the interstitial scenes in this picture were brief stop-motion animations reminiscent of Jan Svankmajer. A nice treat!

This was a pleasant surprise, and definitely the best anthology I’ve seen this year.

4/5

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:siren:Super Samhain Challenge #13: Maniac:siren:

30. House (1977):
This is my first rewatch of the month and yep I still love this movie. It’s just so goofy and cheerful, even if it does get dark at times. The characters are fun, there’s a dope skeleton that dances around, the effects are weirdly stylish. The pointless side plot of the teacher coming to rescue the girls owns. I hesitate to call this a guilty pleasure, since I think it’s a genuinely good movie, but it’s so drat weird I think it kind of fits.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Since I've gone far beyond what I originally expected to do by watching 39 movies (all first watches) plus two re-watches and the 13 Samhain Challenges (which were super fun, thank you for doing this Fran!) I've decided that I'm just going to go ham and watch whatever I want from here on out, including re-watches. Halloween is two days away, and I realized I hadn't watched a single Halloween movie yet. I figured it was time to get in the spirit! :spooky:

#42: Halloween II: Unrated Director's Cut (2009)

I originally saw this in theaters, and I was very excited about it at the time. I knew I was in the minority of people going in who actually liked Rob Zombie's 2007 remake, and walked out knowing I would still be in the minority of people who liked this sequel. I guess your enjoyment of this movie is dependent on whether or not you like Rob Zombie movies in general; I happen to love them, I like his uncompromising psychobilly aesthetic and gritty grindhouse sensibilities, and bringing that kind of energy into the Halloween franchise was a breath of fresh air to me. Yeah, Zombie upturns some of the fundamental things about Michael Myers that make the horror icon what he is (evil is just evil, you don't have to explain it) by humanizing the inhuman monster, but... that's kind of what Rob Zombie does. The fact he got to play with one of the best horror movie villains ever is awesome, and I enjoyed his take on the Myers mythos. The visceral whump every time he stabs or slams somebody is brutally intense.

Loomis is such an insufferable douchebag in this version and I love every scene-chewing moment Malcolm McDowell seems to thrive in. It's so radically different in tone to what Donald Pleasance did while still maintaining that manic focus on a singular subject. For Pleasance it was the unexplainable evil that is Michael, but for McDowell it's his own ego. Also the opening 20 minutes that quickly re-creates the hospital setting of the original (with a brief but appreciated cameo by Oscar winner Octavia Spencer) only to be one of many nightmares Laurie has was a nice touch. This hospital sequence is efficient and far more effective than the entirety of the original Halloween 2. I also think it's interesting that in the theatrical cut, the time jump is "1 Year Later" and in this version it's "2 Years Later." I'm curious as to why Zombie wanted to make that distinction, unless it was just to give Michael enough time to grow a beard as epic as his own. :black101:

While I like the uncut version's ending, I kind of wish Zombie would have added all the other extra scenes and kept the theatrical ending. The movie starts with a traumatized and bloody Laurie walking down the street, and when Brad Dourif comes up on her she is hysterical and crying about thinking she just killed a man. The original theatrical ending had her actually killing Michael in the shack, which I think is a better way to bookend this story than the uncut ending, where she goes to stab Loomis and is shot to death by police before she actually could. I mean, I like that direction too because it completely re-contextualizes the final scene in the white hallway, but I personally thought the original ending was better. Maybe that's just me though.

Margo Kidder as Laurie's therapist is a :master: casting choice. This uncut version has a few extra scenes that gives her more screen time that honestly adds a lot to Laurie's character arc, plus it's Margo Kidder. Having recently watched "Black Christmas" during the challenge I really appreciated this in a brand new way during this watch.

Better than the first, and easily in the Top Three of Rob Zombie films.

4/5

Watched: Midsommar; One Cut of the Dead; Apostle; Wolf Creek; Lake Mungo; Viy (Challenge #1); Demon Knight; Witchfinder General; Razorback; Joker; A Quiet Place; Spider Baby, or the Maddest Story Ever Told (Challenge #2); Hereditary; The First Purge (Challenge #3); Killer Condom; Road Games; Next of Kin; Zombie aka Zombi 2; Suspiria (1977) (Challenge #4); Phantom of the Paradise; In Her Skin; Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon; Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead; Troll Hunter aka Trollhunter (Challenge #5); The Tunnel; Profondo Rossa aka Deep Red; Body Melt; Suspiria (2018) (Challenge #6); Sadako vs. Kayako (Challenge #7); Black Christmas (Challenge #8); Unfriended (Challenge #9); Unfriended: Dark Web; Triangle; The Wailing (Challenge #10); Gerald's Game (Challenge #11); The Lighthouse; Body Bags (Challenge #12); Dr. Giggles (Challenge #13); Lake of the Dead; Possession; Killer Klowns from Outer Space; Halloween II: Director's Cut (2009)
Total: 42

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#21. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
(Rewatch)

Zombies attack a bunch of punks, after a couple medical supply workers release a zombie gas.

Everyone should have seen this by now. It's standard fare. Probably one of my favorite zombie films. Great cast, awesome soundtrack, and fun amount of Sfx. It goes from horror to comedy and back again in a flash. It references the source material with pride and reverence. It makes me sad, as I like two and am ambivalent on 3, the later sequels became such unapologetic poo poo shows. Oh well, this one rules.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:spooky:31: Westworld
ABCs: W
Challenge 1: Best Month

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before. I like the show a lot and I'd consider Jurassic Park one of my top ten favourites. Some really cool shots in this one and it's a pretty fun ride. Coming from the show it's surprising how little behind the scenes stuff their is; none of the scientists have names and there's no real how or why to the breakdown, it all just happens. Brenner is terrifying as the proto-terminator, and Brolin is just cool as hell.

32: X, the man with the X-ray eyes
ABCs: X

Good old fashioned 60s sci fi. It's a bit hokey, but it's Corman so he keeps it fun, and Milliand provides some good charm and gravitas to what could have just been a generic mad scientist.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

31. The Lighthouse (2019)

Basically all the things people said about it earlier; go see this on a big screen and sit in the front row even though that's normally a terrible idea. I want lobster and rum and Willem Dafoe narrating my doom now.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Franchescanado posted:

Wasn't Uwe Boll able to make so many films because of a tax loophole (or something), where basically the films were guaranteed profits before they were even released?

Yes, basically the German government would subsidize via tax credits if a production was shot in their country. This is actually extremely common for a country to stimulate their economy by giving tax credits to an industry to set up there (not just film, either). Uwe Boll just really abused it and the tax credit has long been closed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
32. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Another stone cold classic- and outright punishing on a big screen. It really is a top-notch example of low budget filmmaking- there were plenty of grindhouse films in this period treating similar or just as-outrageous subject matter, but nowhere near as artfully. Here, Hooper manages some insanely good compositions (just a shot of someone looking through a screen door as the setting sun hits it takes on an amazing texture), while maintaining enough of a documentary feel that all the really hosed up stuff we see hits that much harder. Famously there's not a whole lot of actual gore here, but the general unpleasantness suggested by it makes your skin crawl nonetheless. And one thing I noticed this time around is all the astrological stuff, while perfunctory, does lend an air of cosmic unease, aided by the music, and certainly a vibe appropriate for the times.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#31. Unfriended: Dark Web
:spooky::spooky::spooky:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers:spooky::spooky::spooky:

A few years back I watched The Den for one of the challenges and I really liked it. Unfriended: Dark Web felt very similar and was just as enjoyable.
Haven't seen any other movies in this format and that novelty alone is worth the watch. Logic gets thrown out the window pretty early on, but it stays entertaining and definitely held my interest.

And with that I have seen 31 movies, hooray!
Still need to do challenge 12 and 13, so I'm gonna keep posting.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

32. :spooky: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness :spooky: - Little Deaths (2011)
I have a strong bias against anthologies, but Lurdiak's shown a few good ones on the stream over the years and I'm not going to shirk one of the challenges. And this one's sitting at 4/5 on Shudder so it's got to be better than average, right? Yeah, no, this thing is exactly why I avoid anthologies. Three stories that are supposed to share themes of sex and death, but themes and also death are in short supply. The first story gets half a point for eating the rich, but it's a completely by the book person does bad thing and then a monster eats them story. With rape, of course, because you couldn't have three British dudes make movies about sex and death without rape. It's just not possible. The other two segments don't really pretend to be horror and you can't even prove the last one has any death. That basically just leaves a couple dicks to carry the entire thing. They fail.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

22 - Occult - Challenge 10 - Naval gazing - Saw a few reviews of this in the thread and had really liked Noroi, so decided to give it a watch. It starts slow, and the first third or so felt like a homeless documentary or something, following a homeless guy drifting from temp-job to temp-job, crash-spot to crash-spot. He seemed decent for a while until he got drunk and you see that he's not really a nice guy. Then the plot picks up and weird stuff starts getting caught on camera. The cameraman makes some questionable decisions in ignoring the man's plans as things continue, and mysteries unravel further. The effects were pretty minor, and a weird mix of practical effects and lots of weird overlay effects. The few moments it did lean into them were very powerful though. The ending was unexpectedly dark, very cheesy, and reminded me of some of the Hausu effects. The best part for me was the soundtrack, it's so raw and really reminds me a modular synth shows or something (also really reminded me of one of the background room tracks from silent hill 2 - https://youtu.be/NIIXTGAV3BI?t=7242 ). It's pretty good.
:spooky: 3.5/5

23 -Naani - Challenge 5 - Tourist Trap - Wasn't particularly looking to do this final challenge tonight, but noticed it on Prime and I've never seen an Indian horror movie. The movie is a bit long but should really be about 30 minutes shorter (I've summarized the flashback that happens from 1:19:15 to ~1:52 below, it completely breaks the mood of the rest of the movie and reaaally isn't worth watching).
The husband and wife who originally owned the house were happy but couldn't have a baby, turns out the husband is sterile. They visit a doctor and agree to use in vitro fertilization (w/ sperm donor). Wife doesn't want to go through with it and husband uses their marriage vow to force her. A baby girl, Naani, is born, but the husband doesn't see it as his child and shuns her. He even refuses to take her to the hospital when she gets a dangerously high fever, which turns out to be polio and she becomes wheelchair bound. 1:37:30 is a song if you want to see them all. They go to a party and bring Naani, but some coworkers call the family out as having used IVF, directly to Naani's face - "hey you know you're dad isn't actually your father right?". There's drama, the wife/husband go outside and talk. The next day is Naani's birthday, both parents prepare a very nice birthday feast and tell her to wait at home while they go shopping, and not to let anybody else in. (And jump back in at 1:52)

This movie is batshit crazy. Constantly using effects that look like they're from a 90s music video, lots of instant zooms in and out, random slomos, filters. It's just always doing something with the camera. The musical numbers felt out of place at times (I'm not too used to Indian cinema), but after a while they were less weird than all the other stuff going on. Really it kinda has Hausu energy, it just never lets up on the crazy poo poo happening in the background (though unlike Hausu the weirdest stuff doesn't have too much effect on the characters, not a high body count here). The plot's not that exciting, and it's definitely too long, but there's so much going on that it's semi-recommended (it it was just cut a bit more and the flashback eliminated it might be an actual recommendation).
:spooky: I don't even know /5

23 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11) 22: Occult (SC10) 23:Naani (SC5)
5 Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell, Cabin in the Woods (SC13), One Cut of the Dead

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Peeping Tom, 1960

I love this movie so much. Without a doubt one of the best movies to ever come out of the UK. It killed Michael Powell's carrier due to the moral outrage, but it was worth it to get such a masterpiece out there. There's been a few movies that's followed the serial killer, but few as great as this. We follow Carl Boehm, a disturbed young man, with an obsession with capturing fear on his camera, and he is willing to kill to do that. We get to see the sleazy world of pornography and prostitution in the late 50s/early 60s, with it's, by today's standards, vintage look. We get to follow our main character from working in that world as a photographer, then home, trying to act as normal as he can around this young lady that he is renting out a room to. It's such a sweet scene as they talk for the first time, with him trying to not mess up things with his introverted personality, only for her to get that uncomfortable look into how messed up he is. His awkwardness and realization on how he became the broken man he in the story is revealed very early on. Rarely do you ever see a portrayal of a serial killer that is this sympathetic. It's not driven by cruelty or hatred, but by a broken person that grew up with a scientist father that inflicted fear on him in order to study it. And now he inflicts fear on his victims in order to capture it on film, with his camera turned into his weapon of execution. This is truly a beautiful movie. It got all the dark gritty elements to get you hooked, only to make you feel sorry for the killer because you get to see what a sad person he is. Everything in Peeping Tom looks great and this is truly a classic that should be talked about more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baseball took my night, but its gonna be tomorrow night too so suddenly I went from “this is awesome, I should have 2 free days” to “man, I need to watch this tonight even if I’m not in the mood or else I’m going to be fighting to finish.” Time is so fickle.

57 (71). The Hands of Orlac (1924)
Watched on Kanopy, available on Youtube.

Reuniting the star and director of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, a concert pianist suffers a terrible accident, has his hands amputated, and replaced with the hands of an executed killer causing Orlac to descend into despair and fear that his hands may be evil and compelling him to commit murders without his knowledge.

I’ve said it, I’m just not really feeling German Expressionism. I don’t hate it but it doesn’t engage me deeply. Its not the silent film thing either, because I loved Lon Chaney and was blown away by the acting of Joan Crawford. There’s been stuff I like in these too. I wasn’t overly impressed in Conrad Veidt in Caligari but he was basically playing a proto-Frankenstein. He was good, just not like exciting. I thought Werner Krauss was the star of that one as the actual Dr. Caligari, but naturally he ended up a Nazi because 1920s Germany and 2010s America have a lot in common. But Veidt is the star of this one and does a lot of… well, its a lot of really big and broad acting but I suppose that’s what the situation called for. If nothing else this month I’ve learned that a good silent film doesn’t need a ton of dialogue to convey a story if the actors and directing can get a lot of it across physically and through our own minds filling in the blanks.

Its a fine little story, but a 2 hour runtime felt far too long to me. Wikipedia lists it at 90 minutes so I’m not exactly sure why the Kino Lorber restoration had an additional 28 minutes. Its entirely possible that the original, shorter version didn’t carry some of the problems with pacing that I had with this one.

The end is weird. Not hard to follow or odd, just really weird in its simplicity. Again, it kind of made me somewhat resentful of spending over 100 minutes of melodrama for what is resolved so easily and cleanly. Had it happened 70 minutes in I imagine I might have found it kind of clever and enjoyed it but I really was just kind of tired by that point and borderline annoyed.

I don’t know. I think I’ll have to take some time and then revisit this era of German film making again. I was going to rewatch Nosferatu in the next two days but I had kind of abandoned that idea because of time crunches and now I feel like I should just take a breather before I go there again. Its possible that a dozen silent films and half a dozen German Expressionism films in a month is just overkill and I burned myself out on them. If I had more options I would have shifted away as I did skipping 1922’s Phantom for Haxan. But the challenge kind of demanded a bunch and maybe it was just too many.

And now, the last great Universal monster and in many ways a fitting penultimate film for this largely Universal challenge.

58 (72). Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Watched on DVD, available on Hoopla.

A scientific study discovers evidence of a missing link between sea life and humans leading to a full research team exploring the Amazon and encountering a marvelous but extremely dangerous amphibious creature living in the otherwise paradise of the Black Lagoon.

As others have said its kind of amazing how well the film is shot and how much of it takes place underwater. I really wasn’t expecting that at all. I had seen people talk about the underwater stuff but I was expecting something along the lines of Night of the Hunter a year later. Beautiful shots but largely stable ones. But half of this film feels like one of those old aquatic life shows I’d watch when I was young and so much of the film is following the Gill Man stalking someone or them narrowing missing. It’s really quite remarkable. And then extended action scenes underwater? Even without the underwater aspect this is probably the most action and compelling of the Universal Monster films. Most of them kind of conclude with pretty hand wavey fights that amount to things being thrown around. Whether its the 20 years since Frankenstein/Dracula or the underwater aspect that evened up the odds and made things more interesting, this has one of the most compelling and action packed third acts of all the films. I saw multiple people compare it to a modern blockbuster and while I was skeptical of that even half way through I became a believer.

Its really very unique from the Universals in so many ways. There’s such a unique and tranquil setting and vibe to it in the first two acts. Even when the Creature is stalking them and there’s an air of danger, there’s also an incredibly beauty to it all. Its funny, I’m terrified of the water. I drawn when I was a young child and was revived with CPR. I’ve spent most of my life scared to even get near or think of large bodies of water or else I’d be overcome with anxiety and nausea. But I’ve gotten better over the last decade or so and I’ve grown to really envy that I don’t yet have the comfort or patience to really appreciate the pure tranquility and peace of boating along a lagoon and taking a swim. Its something I’ll probably die never really knowing the joy of.

But I digress. Another area I was skeptical of going in was the suit. I’ve seen it countless times over the years and it always looked kind of rubbery and lame to me. But it really shows in action, especially in the underwater scenes. There’s so many… gills? Fins? Stuff that just floats or breathes or moves and it ends up looking so much like a real thing. In the last year I’ve become an owner of aquariums (another step forward as I never could tolerate even that smell in the past) and watching the way fish move and their fins flow the Creature reminded me so much of that. A really stellar job.

Julie Adams is my latest crush of a woman from decades ago. She’s gorgeous obviously but she’s also charming, coy, and strong in her role. Its been 30 years since the start of the Universal era so some progress has been made and she’s one of the few Universal women I’ve seen get some real meat to her role and exist as more than a damsel in distress. Its a shame she kind of resorts to it in times of crisis, but who am I to judge how someone reacts when confronted by big rear end Gill Man? I might very well scream and fall down too. I got your back, K.

A really great little film that deserves its place amongst the best of the Universals. Maybe not quite as good as Bride of Frankenstein or Invisible Man but I’d say well fitting with the rest and a fine penultimate save for my challenge and journey through Universal.

And that leaves me with just 1 year left for 100 and means I’m on schedule to complete 3 challenges on the 31st and leave the 30th an open night (assuming I want to risk the time crunch, but I've got no other plans for the 31st so I should be able to pull off 3 films barring the unforseen).

That was also my 58th new film, matching last year’s total. So the next new film I see will set a new, hard to beat marker for next year.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

44 The Conjuring (2013)
[Rhode Island]

I’m not a big fan the whole slew of movies that came out over the last decade that mainly are “people waking in the dark waiting for a thing to go boo”. I really did not enjoy Insidious for that reason so I was somewhat dreading to watch this. Turns out I actually quite liked it? There is a steady progression in spooky happenings, an excellent buildup of tension and all the scares actually feel earned. The characters are interesting and the cast is excellent. Just an all-round quality scary movie.

45 From a Whisper to a Scream (1987) :siren: Super Samhain Challenge #12 Cavalcade of Creepiness :siren:
[Tennessee]

A woman is executed in Oldfield, Tennessee, a journalist that is present travels to the woman’s uncle and town librarian (Vincent Price) who proceeds to tell four tales about the grim history of the town. This was a real solid set of stories with no real duds. The segments are set chronologically in the 80s, 50s, 30s and during the civil war creating a logical connection between them. It was surprisingly nasty, pretty much an exploitation movie at times. Especially in the fourth segment there is a real :stonk: moment. The first (starring Clu Gulager) and second are my favourites, the third is the weakest but still has a great ending. Recommended.

46 The Stepfather (1987)
[Washington]

After murdering his family, a man begins a new life, however, his new stepdaughter does not like him very much. This was a real good riff on the American Dream and ‘family values’, carried by an excellent performance by Terry O’Quinn.

47 The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
[Nevada]

Talking about families, The Hills Have Eyes pits a regular wholesome American family against a family of cannibals when their car breaks down in the Nevada desert. While there are a few very harrowing scenes, particularly the main assault in the caravan, this wasn’t as extreme as I was expecting a movie about a family of cannibals to be. Still, it’s pretty drat good, and has probably one of the best horror dogs there are, go Beast!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#32. Dark, Deadly & Dreadful
:spooky::spooky::spooky: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness :spooky::spooky::spooky:

A cheap-looking poster, 8 directors with barely anything to their name, just over 200 ratings on IMDB and 11 reviews going from 1 to 10, what could go wrong?

As I wrote before; for me anthologies are all about ideas. It's an elevator pitch of what you can do, a way of getting something that could never be a full feature out of your head. Get your idea across without much character development, padding, or restraints.
DD&D mostly tries to also do this without budget, talent, or, it seems at first, any clear goals.

After an okay but bland 2 minute opener three of the first four shorts are just awful. Unoriginal, uninspired, unstructured, a messy rehash of ideas that were done to death without adding anything.
Two boring hauntings and a seemingly harmless couple going for dinner at a serial killer, but guess what...? Yeah, you guessed it.
I didn't care for the other of the first four either, but that is because it wasn't my kind of humor. Probably someone into a vagina swallowing a douchebag boyfriend whole might dig this.

After that there are two shorts that set a good mood, but unfortunately both have unsatisfying endings.
A man talking to his octopus plushy about how the sea took his brother and something else came back to haunt him, while the plushy talks back.
A girl has Unit 731 doing medical experiments on her. Surprisingly effective at times despite the basic setup, but as I said, a very weak ending.

The last two shorts were really enjoyable.
The first one is about a dyslexic ghost communicating via a Ouija board and getting progressively angrier when the summoners keep correcting her grammar.
I especially liked how one of the girls had "Your next" or something carved into her stomach and it bugged her so much she grabbed a knife to rectify it.

The last short is about a livestream where you can watch exorcisms, being sold as the real deal by the con-men running it. Turns out the actress playing the victim in their newest episode really got possessed, good luck with that!
Not sure it needed the ending, but the rest of it was fun it didn't bother me.

So....definitely not a great anthology, but far from the worst I have ever seen. It starts with the worst and gradually gets better, though I can't blame anyone for turning before it picks up off considering there is a lot to suffer through before it gets going.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Purno posted:

45 From a Whisper to a Scream (1987) :siren: Super Samhain Challenge #12 Cavalcade of Creepiness :siren:

It was surprisingly nasty, pretty much an exploitation movie at times. Especially in the fourth segment there is a real :stonk: moment.

I just watched this yesterday for this challenge too - haven't written up my review yet but definitely agree with the first part; for me that first segment was a calvacade of :stonk: moments.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Purno posted:

44 The Conjuring (2013)
[Rhode Island]

I’m not a big fan the whole slew of movies that came out over the last decade that mainly are “people waking in the dark waiting for a thing to go boo”. I really did not enjoy Insidious for that reason so I was somewhat dreading to watch this. Turns out I actually quite liked it? There is a steady progression in spooky happenings, an excellent buildup of tension and all the scares actually feel earned. The characters are interesting and the cast is excellent. Just an all-round quality scary movie.

yeah, it spawned so many lovely sequels and spin-offs that I think people forget that the first one is actually really good

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Russian Guyovitch posted:

1. Dude Bro Party Massacre III
2. One Cut of the Dead
3. Hereditary
4. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1:THE BEST MONTH - VIY
5. The Ranger
6. Phantom of the Paradise
7. The Perfection
8. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: HORROR NOIRE - THE FIRST PURGE
9. Body Bags
10. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: DEAD AND BURIED - NEW YEAR'S EVIL
11. Child's Play (1988)
12. Dethgasm
13. The Ruins
14. Forbidden World
15. Howling III: The Marsupials
16. In the Tall Grass
17. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
18. Happy Death Day 2U
19. Cast A Deadly Spell
20. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: TOURIST TRAP - ANGST
21. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: MONSTER MASHUP - TRANSYLVANIA 6-5000
22. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK: THE HAUNTING (1999)

23. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: HAPPY HOLIDAYS - MY BLOODY VALENTINE - In the main horror thread, FreudianSlippers referred to this movie as "aggressively Canadian," and I can't think of a more apt description. It's also a great early slasher. The mining suit design is suitably creepy and all of the pre-killing character interactions between the younger miners feels pretty authentic.

24. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: CAVALCADE OF CREEPINESS - THE MONSTER CLUB - An Amicus/Hammer co-production, the wraparound for this features Vincent Price as a vampire who feeds on John Carradine, who turns out to be a horror author that Price is a fan of. As a means of thanking Carradine, Price's vampire invites him to The Monster Club, a night club exclusively for monsters, where Price tells him stories involving weird monster hybrids made up for this anthology that all conveniently involve very little makeup. This movie looks like it was made in a day, with the patrons of the titular Monster Club all wearing cheap looking Halloween masks. It does score some points, however, for Vincent Price giving it his all despite the obvious lack of effort from everyone around him.

25. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: NAVEL GAZING - THE SEVENTH CURSE - I hadn't heard of this one prior to this thread, but once people started reviewing it, I knew I had to check it out. This is an insane movie, wildly veering between genres and including some of the wildest characters and monsters you'll see. A skeleton that transforms into some sort of flying lizard demon? Check. Chow Yun-Fat as pipe-smoking, sweater vest-wearing, Bing Crosby-esque expert on Southeast Asian witchcraft who wields a mean rocket launcher? Check. A blood curse that causes blood to just start bursting out of your body until finally your heart explodes? Check. This movie hits the ground running and doesn't really slow up until the end.

26. The Amityville Horror (1979) - The film that launched countless sequels, this is the supposedly true story of George and Kathy Lutz and the horrors that unfold for them after they buy a fixer upper. George is the owner of a failing surveying company who has just married Kathy, the single mother of three children, when they decide to buy a massive house in the town of Amityville. It's at the top end of their budget, but it's wildly discounted because the previous owners, the Defeo family, were all murdered by one of the sons, Ron Jr. Over the course of the first two weeks in the house, George becomes increasingly aggressive with his family and starts to have a breakdown, ultimately leading to the family fleeing the home. For a movie with a two hour run time, very little happens in this film.

*Bonus Film* SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: MANIAC - THIRTEEN GHOSTS (2001) - Not numbered as this is a rewatch. This one is the definition of a guilty pleasure for me, because let's be honest, this is not a good movie. The writing is bad, Matthew Lillard is overacting to an insane degree, and in general it's just a dumb movie. That said, whenever I stumble across it, I always find myself enjoying it. It's a dumb movie, but it's a fun dumb movie. It's like going to a really well made haunted house, with all the jump scares that entails, and has some really great visuals with the design of the ghosts. While I would certainly never recommend it to anyone, I'll happily plant myself on the couch for a couple of hours if I catch it on tv.

27. Prison - The state of Wyoming reopens an abandoned prison, hiring the former head guard to be the new warden. It turns out, the prison is haunted by the ghost of the last prisoner to be executed there. A very early role for Viggo Mortensen, this is a well made ghost story that's also an early credit for director Renny Harlin who was living out of his car when he was hired to direct this. The film does a good job of ratcheting up the tension as the inmates find themselves threatened by both a vengeful supernatural presence and a vindictive warden who blames the inmates for what's happening, when in reality he knows more than he's willing to admit. The majority of the unnamed inmates in the film were actually inmates at a nearby prison in Wyoming. One of them got a fairly substantial role as the character of Rhino, as he was a stuntman prior to his conviction who still had his SAG card.

28. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 - When the titular Mary Lou snubs her prom date in 1957, he attempts to get revenge by throwing a stink bomb on to the stage as she is being crowned prom queen. That goes horribly awry, however, when the stink bomb catches her dress on fire and she burns to death on stage. Thirty years later, her spirit is set free to take her revenge when the tiara and sash she was about to be given are found in the school's prop closet. This was a surprisingly good, and dark, ghost story, given that it's the sequel to a fairly unremarkable and decidedly not supernatural slasher. There are some creative kills and neat effects work, and the actors playing the teens all put in some pretty solid performances.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

11. The Ranger (2018) (Shudder) :spooky: Super Samhain Challenge #4 - Inktober 16. Wild :spooky:

"We're the same." - The Ranger

The Ranger is not that great. It starts out as some kind of Diet Green Room, as a group of punks plot to sell drugs and end up critically injuring a cop. They run away to the family property of the main character Chelsea to lay low, and run afoul of the titular Ranger.

I think I saw someone else say it as well, but the Ranger character seems like he belongs in a different movie. Overall this is pretty mediocre.

2/5

12. Tremors (1990) - Rewatch (DVD)

"Broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!" - Burt Gummer

Tremors had a VHS cover that I recall staring at as a kid and being scared. When I finally watched it years later I realized that Tremors is actually a fun film.

I know there are about six of these, are any of the sequels worth watching?

3.5/5

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Tremors 2 is definitely worth checking out. After that it mostly depends on how much you like the Burt character.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wet Tie Affair posted:

12. Tremors (1990) - Rewatch (DVD)

"Broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!" - Burt Gummer

Tremors had a VHS cover that I recall staring at as a kid and being scared. When I finally watched it years later I realized that Tremors is actually a fun film.

I know there are about six of these, are any of the sequels worth watching?

3.5/5
Tremors 2 is good. They couldn't get Kevin Bacon or Reba McEntire back, unfortunately. And it doesn't have the basically perfect script Tremors had. But it's still a very entertaining monster movie.
Tremors 3 is alright. They were able to get back a lot of the minor actors from the first Tremors, which is fun. But it's mainly the Burt Gummer Show at this point, and the Graboid lifecycle starts to get a bit silly. But it's still fun.
Tremors 4 is dogshit. Bad syfy original level quality
I haven't seen Tremors 5 or 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

118) Halloween - 2007 - DVD

Rob Zombie's very divisive remake. I saw this at the show.

Much like I've said The Shining's a good Kubrick film but a lousy Stephen King adaptation, this film's a fine Rob Zombie film but a lousy Halloween remake/reenvisioning.

What we're shown of young Michael, he hits each of the warning indicators of a potential serial killer save for the late bedwetting. We're shown far more of his homelife which I can't really say adds to the story. We see Michael's got a lovely start in life, and will likely have a lovely life as an adult unless he beats the odds.

Overall, this film has more in common with 70s era grindhouse films. This isn't a bad thing, just doesn't quite mesh with the expectations of a Halloween film. I do remember a few friends having some uncomfortableness with seeing a grown up Danielle Harris topless since they'd seen her as a little girl in the earlier films.

If you like Rob Zombie's films, you like this. If you're more of a Carpenter purist, you can skip this one.

119) Halloween II - 2009 - Prime

Just like the last film, this is more of a Rob Zombie film than a Halloween film. It picks up after the last one with Laurie dealing with the aftermath of the killings.

This one has some trippy elements. I wonder if the hallucinations depicted started Rob Zombie on the idea for the later Lords of Salem which has similar but far more elaborate realization of them.

Again, if you like Zombie's films, you'll like this one.