Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't understand the game enough to know what's going on beyond the Sigma and Orisa shields being a big part of why I'm a god now, but I like it. Every engagement favours me now and I never feel frustrated with Moira like I did before.

You've got an ability that can heal through shields, you have a get-out-of-jail-free card that saves you from flankers and the ults that can kill you, and every engagement happens within your optimal range. You can also build ult insanely quick off Sigma and Orisa alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've given it like a year plus but I think Doomfist and Orisa have been objectively bad for the game.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've given it like a year plus but I think Doomfist and Orisa have been objectively bad for the game.

They seriously need to stop her ability to spam shields. Make it so the cooldown starts after the shield is gone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SKULL.GIF posted:

As long as Widowmaker is in the game there will never be anything that can be worse for the game, she's just such a terrible fit for the game(it would be another thing entirely if she had some way of bypassing Shields though)

Heliotrope posted:

They seriously need to stop her ability to spam shields. Make it so the cooldown starts after the shield is gone.

That would make her pretty much useless unless they massively buffed her other abilities in compensation

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You'd have to add a sombra-like ability to destroy shields to redeploy them, and massively reduce the cooldown to 3 or 4 seconds after they are destroyed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You'd have to add a sombra-like ability to destroy shields to redeploy them, and massively reduce the cooldown to 3 or 4 seconds after they are destroyed.

Exactly, hence why the better option would probably be to give more characters ways to bypass Shields, kinda silly that we only really have two characters with kits that are particularly good for busting shields(Symmetra and Bastion)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I remember when people argued with me that the best thing to do was stay in cover and plink at the shield when fighting orisa. I would scream till my words were repleaced by floating blood clouds that we should go get her and not let her sit there infinitely deploying shields. it got to the point where I would intentionally go in a direction toward the orisa but away from the team to make her turn or use her orb before she wanted to hopefully allowing the team to push in or see a now more vulnerable orisa.

Dont let sit comps sit. flank and force them to break. go touch the point. shoot orisa from behind. something. anything but trying to corridor fight her.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
ESPN: Sources: Overwatch 2 to feature PvE, new map and hero

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The worst part of that is apparently Echo is going to be the next hero announced at Blizzcon :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bellular was saying that current word is that skins won't carry over from OW1 and I'm not going to lie that would seriously put me off since collecting skins is one of the things I like best about it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Can't wait to sit back and watch the dumpster fire.

I won't be mad if they manage to prove me wrong, but how in the world is Overwatch 2 a good idea at this point?

PvE gets stale very quickly as evidenced by the current PvE events (let's face it, we grind them out for braindead easy, 100% wins for weekly arcade boxes), and a single new game mode does not shake things up enough.

Are they planning to divert resources from OW and just let it die to force everyone over to OW2? That will sit very well with the current player base, I assume. Or fragment the already dwindling number of players even more?

As someone who actually owns every single cosmetic in OW (don't worry, f2p only), not having them carry over to OW2 as hinted is such a big "gently caress you" that I personally wouldn't want to touch the new one with a 10 foot pole on principle.

But hey, Blizzard has a solid track record of making decisions that the community is totally cool with over the last couple of months, they can't be wrong here and I'm dumb.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Pope Guilty posted:

Bellular was saying that current word is that skins won't carry over from OW1 and I'm not going to lie that would seriously put me off since collecting skins is one of the things I like best about it.
OW 1 is dead in the water if nothing translates over. I'd understand if skins in 1 unlocked gear or something in 2.

Also, there's gear. Please tell me we're not going to have to plow through loot boxes to get gear.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcbexx posted:

I won't be mad if they manage to prove me wrong, but how in the world is Overwatch 2 a good idea at this point?

PvE gets stale very quickly as evidenced by the current PvE events (let's face it, we grind them out for braindead easy, 100% wins for weekly arcade boxes), and a single new game mode does not shake things up enough.

If they can even nail a semblance of what made Left 4 Dead work then I think it'll be fine.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Echo is loving terrible and it'll be painful watching them try to convince us she's cool. It was painful enough last year when they had a cowboy gingerly help a lady step down from a carriage, except she's a floating robot and has no legs and it's the future instead of the 1800s.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't seem to find anything definite about whether OW2 is straight up a sequel or some kind of expansion thing, because it sounds like Echo and the new mode is being added to OW1. So it sounds like they're still moving forward with OW1 as normal... But if nothing caries over to 2 (the small shots of Lucio and Tracer make it seem like they have fully new built from the ground up models so they probably can transfer skins over because of that) what is OW2's PVP gonna be? Is it some totally different PVP thing that OW doesn't have? Why not just mash that into OW1?

I know we only have like 5 days until we find out these answers but this whole OW2 business seems really strange

megane posted:

Echo is loving terrible and it'll be painful watching them try to convince us she's cool. It was painful enough last year when they had a cowboy gingerly help a lady step down from a carriage, except she's a floating robot and has no legs and it's the future instead of the 1800s.

Also, a big thing that gets brought up every time a new hero comes out is that there still isn't a black woman in the game. I get where they're coming from, especially when we've gone, starting with Moira, white girl, white girl, a hamster, white girl, black guy, then old white man, and now possibly, robot girl. I'm a white dude, but I see the complaint come up from black players on twitter every new hero release, and I can't say I really blame them. And then Riot comes out recently and does exactly that. I think it's fair that people are starting to get annoyed at that.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the way the leaks are worded make it sound more like apex season 2 or the like than it does a sequel

I don't think it'd make sense to put out an fps with any competitive mp so soon with owl in full swing, so I assume that the new game mode at the very least is for this game

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not sure the reveal isn't going to be equally strange.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress Blizzard.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm waiting for Blizzard's official announcement before saying anything. Don't get me wrong--whatever they plan to announce is, in all likelihood, going to be a dumpster fire on par with Diablo Immortal, but I want to see how their marketing team tries to sell their next trash idea.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
An expansion with more PVE elements is fine.

Calling it a sequel, charging $40/$60, but keeping the exact same engine and game otherwise would be really stupid and wholly what I expect them to do.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1188523983756496897

This would be way more reasonable than a new game this early in Overwatch's lifespan, especially since the Switch version just hit

renews their shelf presence for 2020 and gives existing players a large amount of new content, nobody loses anything

edit:

this leaked from the blizzcon store

so we can be sure OW2 is a legit thing thats happening, if people werent convinced before

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 28, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I haven't played much since 2/2/2 was introduced. I finished my placement matches for tank; haven't finished them for dps/support yet. Where do I go to see when my SR will start decaying? And do I have to play a certain number of matches for each of the three roles on a certain timeframe to keep decay from happening?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sr doesn't decay anymore. probably because the queue times suck so hard at the high ranks where decay actually matters

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my eyes, it would be a massive branding failure to refer to another game in the same universe but with a completely different genre as a "sequel." If this next game is as different to the original as described, but they bill it as "Overwatch 2," it won't appeal to anyone. It's going to piss off fans of the original game, and anyone who hasn't played the original won't care to jump straight to the sequel.

I'm thinking this new gameplay experience is going to be, if anything, their response to the crowd of fans who have been clamoring for substantial lore since the game's release. Put all the story progression in the casual PvE focused game experience while keeping the hardcore competitive crowd sequestered in the original and just support both simultaneously. I still think they should just release a feature-length movie but maybe that's just my stupid movie nerd dream.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

sr doesn't decay anymore. probably because the queue times suck so hard at the high ranks where decay actually matters

Matchmaking is actually based on hidden mmr and not SR when you were decayed. Not uncommon to see streamers on accounts in masters in 4300 games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Clowner posted:

In my eyes, it would be a massive branding failure to refer to another game in the same universe but with a completely different genre as a "sequel." If this next game is as different to the original as described, but they bill it as "Overwatch 2," it won't appeal to anyone. It's going to piss off fans of the original game, and anyone who hasn't played the original won't care to jump straight to the sequel.

I'm thinking this new gameplay experience is going to be, if anything, their response to the crowd of fans who have been clamoring for substantial lore since the game's release. Put all the story progression in the casual PvE focused game experience while keeping the hardcore competitive crowd sequestered in the original and just support both simultaneously. I still think they should just release a feature-length movie but maybe that's just my stupid movie nerd dream.

everything we're seeing so far seems to imply 'Overwatch 2' is going to be like 'Fortnite 2' ended up being, a big update and overhaul to the original game, rebranded and effectively 'relaunched' but keeping everything in it. like the current game, which is the PvP mode, goes F2P and then the only game you can buy anymore becomes OW2 which is the new PvE stuff

maybe im off-base here but that's the impression i was getting from how everyone who had info was talking about it

its more an expansion than a sequel, though it has sequel-style engine and art upgrades

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Overwatch Battle Royale it's time Blizzard finally made some money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Odds on Tracer being ridiculously overpowered in a BR mode?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Matchmaking is actually based on hidden mmr and not SR when you were decayed. Not uncommon to see streamers on accounts in masters in 4300 games.

talking about t500 slots, not gm players having the wrong icon

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

everything we're seeing so far seems to imply 'Overwatch 2' is going to be like 'Fortnite 2' ended up being, a big update and overhaul to the original game, rebranded and effectively 'relaunched' but keeping everything in it. like the current game, which is the PvP mode, goes F2P and then the only game you can buy anymore becomes OW2 which is the new PvE stuff

maybe im off-base here but that's the impression i was getting from how everyone who had info was talking about it

its more an expansion than a sequel, though it has sequel-style engine and art upgrades

this is how i understood it as well.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Why waste so much time meticulously balancing and working on a pro gaming and streaming culture if you are just going to throw it all away? It seems incredibly risky to assume a large number of people would transition to the new platform, and it could easily be a flop for any number of reasons.

The fortnite thing makes much more sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

headcase posted:

Why waste so much time meticulously balancing and working on a pro gaming and streaming culture if you are just going to throw it all away? It seems incredibly risky to assume a large number of people would transition to the new platform, and it could easily be a flop for any number of reasons.

Yes, that would be a terrible idea on par with revoking prize money and banning a pro player for supporting human rights and firing the production team for the event that had nothing to do with it. Blizzard would never do something that dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

headcase posted:

Lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hobbesmaster posted:

Odds on Tracer being ridiculously overpowered in a BR mode?

Surprising noone, torb is definitely best in an FFA game in Arcade just like he is best in a normal match.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Widow would be the overpowered one. In my BR experience most deaths are getting killed by a sniper you can't even see and it's extremely irritating. Removing Widow from the game would help. Even if they don't have a BR mode. Remove Widow. Thank you in advance Jeff

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Widow would be the overpowered one. In my BR experience most deaths are getting killed by a sniper you can't even see and it's extremely irritating. Removing Widow from the game would help. Even if they don't have a BR mode. Remove Widow. Thank you in advance Jeff

It's not like Blizzard is above killing off established characters. like when doomfist literally killed tracer

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Macaluso posted:

Agreed. Hitscan snipers should never be in any multiplayer competitive video game forever. Or snipers in general.

The only good implementation of snipers in video games was putting an ironsight/ACOG on a sniper in battlefield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

widow wouldn't start with a sniper rifle in a br mode

she's prob be like pathfinder in apex

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is...isn’t Brig supposed to be nerfed and lovely? I’m at 90% WR with her after basically never playing her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's supposedly secretly good but I'm bad with her lol