Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eschenique posted:

Did Ilhan Omar just refuse to vote in favor of recognizing the Amernian genocide?

apperently.

lol. no rear end in a top hat. its because they see scum like you try to gut any kind of healthcare and education or food or anything that isn't licking the poo poo off the asses of billionares and thats why they cheered when some other rich rear end in a top hat broke your loving ribs. i sure as gently caress did because i remember you talking about how we should get rid of disability acceptability laws because of some objectivist bullshit about the free market but everyone knows you will just run to canada to get cheap pain meds. you sniveling gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It’s not about defending the Covington kid, it’s calling you guys out for attacking someone on false pretences. Be better.

The media said they confronted this guy and started shouting racist chants at him, and it was completely wrong. The 2 hour video at the time showed it. But everyone bought it, because it fits a narrative, and it shows you’re not paying enough attention, and that matters.

I don’t really care about the kid (much). I care about my side having integrity and taking the right shots.

Literally his only action was wearing a MAGA hat. And that should come with some consequences. You can get yelled at in a restaurant, maybe even beaten up. Sure. That’s natural and it’s how we learn. But being falsely accused in world media of going up to a native American war veteran and taunting him with racist chants doesn't seem right. If the truth matters it matters, and if it doesn’t it doesn’t.

It sucks that he’s now become this martyr, and that’s kind of the point, just leave it alone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Wilbur Swain posted:

It can be framed as a principled stand against cynical opportunism. It can be framed as a rookie mistake. It can also be framed as being in favor of genocide. Choose your own adventure.

I like Eli Valleys comment on it.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1189343794816278530?s=20

I'm generous so I'll say rookie mistake. We can't deny genocide "until the time is right" That's liberal talk.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Eschenique posted:

I'm generous so I'll say rookie mistake. We can't deny genocide "until the time is right" That's liberal talk.

Agreedo

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If he comes around and realizes the error of his ways and takes action to atone, I'll be there with open arms. Until then he can eat poo poo.

Cool! How can we help him (besides shoving poo poo down his throat)? :)

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Otteration posted:

We can't. All we can do is make posts on this subforum which the only real-world consequences are us maybe semi-figuring things out for ourselves.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Completely unrelated but necessary tax:

https://i.imgur.com/1p8094k.mp4

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Otteration posted:

No one should feel or be made to feel the slightest obligation to help him in any way, nor anyone like him. It seldom works and it's often counterproductive. If some saint decides to take it upon themselves to do so anyway, good for them, but if in the meantime they chastise folks for not being nicer to the racist shitbird, I'll still invite them to shut the gently caress up :)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Alternate answer is to wait until he's an adult and help him like we helped Richard Spencer, Andy Ngo, and the Third Reich.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wilbur Swain posted:

We can't. All we can do is make posts on this subforum which the only real-world consequences are us maybe semi-figuring things out for ourselves.

I guess we can also have actual kids, wherein the inability to figure poo poo out leads to

Nonsense posted:

The Covington kids deserves a horrendous existence.

being a thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You don't have to like of defend the covington kid but I need people to not be weird about it thanks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

“I think we should demand justice for human rights abuses consistently,” said the the person voting not to condemn genocide.

:thunk:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’m fuzzily aware of how we’ve come to this point, but a breakdown of how anti-communist propaganda has lost its teeth since the 90s would be a fascinating read. I personally was pelted by a lot of the usual stuff in the mid-00s - I read Anthem and The Giver, my middle school history teacher gave the “why is it fair for everyone to share grades” lecture. But between watching the recession and picking up a little Marx through casual history study I’ve wound up a staunch anti-capitalist and it seems that’s happened to a lot of folks. Did the collapse of the Soviet Union make people drop their guard or has the status quo become that much more untenable in the last 30 years that we’re looking harder for alternatives?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Otteration posted:

I guess we can also have actual kids, wherein the inability to figure poo poo out leads to

being a thing.

If they do lead down the path to redemption that makes them strong. I think what they did personally affected me a Native American Latino, so I believe they can change, but I have a right to wish him ill for doing what they did.

fool_of_sound posted:

You don't have to like of defend the covington kid but I need people to not be weird about it thanks.

I agree with this, and the first step is this legal farce ending.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 30, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Eschenique posted:

I like Eli Valleys comment on it.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1189343794816278530?s=20

It’s an entirely defensible position because the timing of the vote is clearly political.

But we are not in normal times and I worry this will get a ton of play in right-wing media because Omar is their immigrant boogeyman.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Remember when Covington thing broke and the school instantly realized that they had been caught doing something wrong and start apologizing. Then the right wing establishment came to their rescue and they backtracked and supported the action instead.

Just for a second the facad got a hairline fracture of "we're massive racists in secret and have to maintain the secrecy" before they realized that racism was mainstream.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Slowpoke! posted:

It’s an entirely defensible position because the timing of the vote is clearly political.

But we are not in normal times and I worry this will get a ton of play in right-wing media because Omar is their immigrant boogeyman.

Reminder that Republicans blocked this before citing that Turkey was a US ally in the war on terror and it might offend them.

And every progressive policy ever was political. The only people making calls for things to be "Less political" are right wingers who want their opponents to relinquish power. Ie "unions should not be political"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eschenique posted:

Remember when Covington thing broke and the school instantly realized that they had been caught doing something wrong and start apologizing. Then the right wing establishment came to their rescue and they backtracked and supported the action instead.

Just for a second the facad got a hairline fracture of "we're massive racists in secret and have to maintain the secrecy" before they realized that racism was mainstream.

I'm sure they got offered a massive donor list extension if they agreed to back-track.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Triskelli posted:

I’m fuzzily aware of how we’ve come to this point, but a breakdown of how anti-communist propaganda has lost its teeth since the 90s would be a fascinating read. I personally was pelted by a lot of the usual stuff in the mid-00s - I read Anthem and The Giver, my middle school history teacher gave the “why is it fair for everyone to share grades” lecture. But between watching the recession and picking up a little Marx through casual history study I’ve wound up a staunch anti-capitalist and it seems that’s happened to a lot of folks. Did the collapse of the Soviet Union make people drop their guard or has the status quo become that much more untenable in the last 30 years that we’re looking harder for alternatives?

I don’t want to dunk on your education, but even as a card-carrying non-Marxist it’s concerning to me that you studied history but only read “a little Marx”. I think you should fix that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Otteration posted:

And at the same time she hosed up (not a hatchet job, she hosed up).

Knowing that those pictures are out there and probably distributed through Republican channels means that she'd be working alongside members of Congress who had seen personal, private photos of her. There's a high chance that most of them ridiculed it, and a disturbingly high chance some even considered it sexually. Then, how far have those photos gone to other big names not in government?

It would be very difficult to be able to work with someone as an adversary, seeking guidance, or asking for funding with the tenacious worry that they had ogled nude photos of you.

And yes, it's a double standard.

Even if the relationships hadn't involved staffers and these photos had still gotten out there, it would've been understandable to me for her to resign.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

If they do lead down the path to redemption that makes them strong. I think what they did personally affected me a Native American Latino, so I believe they can change, but I have a right to wish him ill for doing what they did.

I agree with this, and the first step is this legal farce ending.

It should end soon, and it is a legal farce:

Devor posted:

For all thirty motions to dismiss to be granted, Sandman’s lawyer had to royally gently caress up

The defense had to argue “even if what this idiot says is true, he can’t win any relief” and the judge had to respond “yeah I don’t even need to hear testimony, the facts as alleged can’t win”

Three of the allegations are going to discovery, allowing the defense to give their own characterization of facts

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

fool_of_sound posted:

doing weird gender swap pictures like with david hogg to own creepily own the right

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Poon posted:

doing weird gender swap pictures like with david hogg to own creepily own the right

please to not speak this into existence

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Strange Poon posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

I hate to break it to you but this was a big thing on 4chan for a while. I'm not going to post pictures or anything but yeah......

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

I hope the kid goes down that path. I hope more that the adults that are likely guiding him down that lovely path can change, and maybe change him too in the mean time. And yep, how much ill will to wish for him is up to you. Not sure how it fixes anything, but, yep, it's lovely.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

fool_of_sound posted:

It's already happened... there was a whole meme I'm going to say last year.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Slowpoke! posted:

gotta abstain pointing out the old demographic correction when the new demographic correction is taking place

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

You know how people get suspicious when a comment is weirdly specific?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

I hate to break it to you but this was a big thing on 4chan for a while. I'm not going to post pictures or anything but yeah......

The right wing has a weird psycho-sexual hatred for activist women and what some of them have been doing for a while now and it's weird and gross. AOC and Greta Thunburg have been targets of this and I'll remind everyone that Greta is sixteen and the chuds don't give a single gently caress about sexualizing her.

The male equivalent of this is called pink pilling, which is to feminize males that they feel anger towards so they can turn them into women. I feel like this is so they can plug into that ugly lizard brain part of people that can objectify and satisfy a primal sexual urge. Then once that urge is satisfied they immediately feel shame. That shame becomes hate. That hate becomes rage. That rage can become targeted. Arousal suppresses what we would consider the disgust reaction, among other primal urges, but it flares back to life after sexual satisfaction.

It sounds gross and it is, but this is why say, a john who approaches someone in say, the LGBTQ+ community who is selling survival sex because they're marginalized to the point of selling sex can be attacked at basically any time before, during and especially after completion. It's distressingly common to be attracted to what you're conditioned by society to hate because attraction isn't rational and that disgust reaction is suppressed.

Pink pilling is dark in the extreme and it uses sex to radicalize dudes who are pulling their dicks to go do violence against left wing activists out of shame, anger and rage, all of it misplaced. I can't overstate just how loving dangerous pink pilling is for alienated, conservative and potentially violent white males.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wow thats one even i forgot existed.

late night posting about pop science, intense emotions can sometimes get their signals crossed and led to weird places.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

Knowing that those pictures are out there and probably distributed through Republican channels means that she'd be working alongside members of Congress who had seen personal, private photos of her. There's a high chance that most of them ridiculed it, and a disturbingly high chance some even considered it sexually. Then, how far have those photos gone to other big names not in government?

It would be very difficult to be able to work with someone as an adversary, seeking guidance, or asking for funding with the tenacious worry that they had ogled nude photos of you.

And yes, it's a double standard.

Even if the relationships hadn't involved staffers and these photos had still gotten out there, it would've been understandable to me for her to resign.

It's all a lovely cluster-gently caress-up of juicy stupid nut-encrusted vanilla idiocy, yep. How shall we make it stop?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

seems to me you could vote condemning armenian genocide while also putting yourself on the record condemning genocide of native americans but i guess not

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

“I think we should demand justice for human rights abuses consistently,” said the the person voting not to condemn genocide.

:thunk:

I'm assuming she voted present as an attention grabbing move so she could get this statement out there. It's usually the main reason behind symbolic votes like that (I doubt we'd be talking about the vote very much if she didn't do this). I really don't think the statement was strong enough to warrant the political hit she's getting in return, though.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Pigbuster posted:

I'm assuming she voted present as an attention grabbing move so she could get this statement out there. It's usually the main reason behind symbolic votes like that. I really don't think the statement was strong enough to warrant the political hit she's getting in return, though.

how about the part where she voted against sanctions

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

the mid 20th century was a big time for anti-communist propaganda because

-america was undergoing an unprecedented economic boom and general wave of confidence after ww2
-performative oppositional threats of nuclear war against the other major military state in the world leading to group coherence and reflexive rejection of communism
-inertia from late 19th/early 20th century nationalist imperialist ideology meaning america way = best way

meanwhile kids today don't have immediate faith in the capitalist system, you have to be in your 40s to remember the terror of the cold war, and nobody's really sold on american patriotism love it or leave it

Pigbuster posted:

I'm assuming she voted present as an attention grabbing move so she could get this statement out there. It's usually the main reason behind symbolic votes like that (I doubt we'd be talking about the vote very much if she didn't do this). I really don't think the statement was strong enough to warrant the political hit she's getting in return, though.

you can condemn the armenian genocide and the genocide of the original peoples of north america at the same time

"i kick this puppy to raise awareness of puppy mills"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If it were attention grabbing there’d be a lot more publicity than a brief “nothing to see here folks, it just wasn’t good enough” statement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unoriginal Name posted:

how about the part where she voted against sanctions

imo that's the more defensible vote, there's a sanction of a bank tacked on in there that it's valid to be worried about

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

imo that's the more defensible vote, there's a sanction of a bank tacked on in there that it's valid to be worried about

yeah Im not gonna worry about the bank, thanks tho

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

luxury handset posted:

the mid 20th century was a big time for anti-communist propaganda because

-america was undergoing an unprecedented economic boom and general wave of confidence after ww2
-performative oppositional threats of nuclear war against the other major military state in the world leading to group coherence and reflexive rejection of communism
-inertia from late 19th/early 20th century nationalist imperialist ideology meaning america way = best way

meanwhile kids today don't have immediate faith in the capitalist system, you have to be in your 40s to remember the terror of the cold war, and nobody's really sold on american patriotism love it or leave it

All true.

And it's not just the cold war -- there's also no longer a big scary stalinist dystopia to point at, and a lot of Russians are nearly as badly-off under Putin/hypercapitalism.

And the fact that Millenials are the most economically screwed generation since WWII, except maybe the next one.

Oh yeah, there's also tons of outright dystopian poo poo happening in the USA right now that can easily be linked to capitalism, from lovely jobs at Walmart/McDonalds where they encourage workers to apply for food stamps, to medical bankruptcies, to private utilities loving poo poo up in the name of profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Unoriginal Name posted:

yeah Im not gonna worry about the bank, thanks tho

banks hold the funds of the citizens. have compassion.