Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm in the US and cheques are ridiculously common still. Their idea of hi-tech banking is taking a photo of the cheque with your phone to deposit it online.

edit ffs cat

That is Piper. When she is bored she sounds rather like a high-pitched whiny foghorn.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

UnquietDream posted:

As a usual boardrunner myself I am saying do not do this, it is bad practice. I would be very angry with someone who turned up pretending to be a member who wasn't one because it puts me in a supremely lovely position. This is exactly the sort of behaviour that would lead to me needing to see anyone's membership card if I didn't know them, which is a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm not saying it's going to be checked but it is at very least a violation of trust and at most a violation of GDPR which makes everyone's life worse so don't loving do it. I would rather someone not help out than make me an accessory to someone's need to knock a door.

Edit: It costs £2.17 a month if you are in part time work or are unwaged. Even if you were only a member for a month that would be absolutely preferable to the alternative.

In the upcoming election we're going to get huge numbers of volunteers who want to help but haven't yet gone through the process of joining the party officially. Some doorknockers are not going to be members at the time, and It's not something worth policing still fail to see how asking for voting intention then telling someone else
with a clipboard is a GDPR violation - actually running the board yes, but not simply asking questions of people.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

actually this is all brave brexit patriots and sensible liberal democrat centrists coming to check out labour insanity, sweaty

no one watched the tory video because everyone already knows that boris is good and smart and loves everyone :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Unkempt posted:

I'm in the US and cheques are ridiculously common still. Their idea of hi-tech banking is taking a photo of the cheque with your phone to deposit it online.

edit ffs cat

That is Piper. When she is bored she sounds rather like a high-pitched whiny foghorn.

Where on earth are you? I've been to the arse end of nowhere, Montana, and barely even saw cash (Outside restaurants) because everything was contactless.

She's an extremely good catte :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ms Adequate posted:

Where on earth are you? I've been to the arse end of nowhere, Montana, and barely even saw cash (Outside restaurants) because everything was contactless.

She's an extremely good catte :3:

Cards are more common than cash, but for everything more than a couple hundred dollars checks are still pretty common, especially for rent payment, payroll, etc. I’ve still had to go get cashiers checks for rental down payments and my last car, and I keep a checkbook on hand just in case for rental properties (and on occasion, HOAs) who don’t know how to do online portals (a lot more common for hole in the wall places, less common for proper agencies)

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

remember folks, it's always darkest before the dawn but I genuinely believe labour can win this election. People are loving tired of being hosed over constantly.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well, I'm in Vermont so possibly not typical. There's a shitload of cash/cheque places roynd here but maybe it's just a tax dodge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh yeah I guess my ex does pay her rent with checks, now that you mention it!

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

I threw Momentum a few quid, and I'll do the same to Labour tomorrow. Things need to change, the prospect of another Tory government makes me feel physically sick.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Even though I'm in Vancouver, a huge city, and most stuff you actually buy is by card/contactless, lots of stuff is still done by cheque. It's weird, although at least I'm paid by direct deposit.

In election focused chat, I think what might be really important is the ability to talk about and challenge the idea that the Lib Dems will just save everything and we'll remain in the EU and be rosy and lovely.

Anyone got any links or ideas?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Renewed my SNP membership :D

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Robot Mil posted:

Even though I'm in Vancouver, a huge city, and most stuff you actually buy is by card/contactless, lots of stuff is still done by cheque. It's weird, although at least I'm paid by direct deposit.

In election focused chat, I think what might be really important is the ability to talk about and challenge the idea that the Lib Dems will just save everything and we'll remain in the EU and be rosy and lovely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron%E2%80%93Clegg_coalition

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Essentially the lib dems aren't going to win a majority, so their only option is going to be coalitioning with the tories or labour, they've already refused to coalition with labour, and we've seen what a tory/lib coalition looks like, it's the tories doing whatever they want and the libs rolling over and letting them. Swinson in particular is more tory than most tories with her voting record, so she has absolutely no credibility whatsoever when it comes to "opposing" them in coalition or otherwise.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Hah ok yes but I've already seen a lot of 'well they'd never do that again they've learned their lesson!'

Maybe I just need a Twitter version of :clegg:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Their party is literally like a third actual tories at the moment.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just chipped in a tenner to help Momentum! Will spread some to Labour proper at some point soon too.

As to the Piss Diamonds just keep hammering that Jo Swinson voted with the Tories more times than some tory cabinet members. Nothing about them can be trusted in any way shape or form.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Canadian banking system is way better than the sad shitshow of the states but I do miss my UK visa debit, interac is a bit naff (though is a lot cheaper for businesses)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also I'm actually bothering to register for a postal vote this year that's how invested I am

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Robot Mil posted:

Might be an industry thing cause I’m also in Vancouver and haven’t written or received a cheque in almost a decade.

Grats on your election UKMT, hope its a new day.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Beeb's top story atm is that Boris has said the election "will be tough" and the subheader is about Jezza saying this is a "once-in-a-generation" opportunity.

I'm not gonna say this means very much at all, but between this and the hilarious disparity between the social media videos today, there certainly seems to be more energy on one side that the other...

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I went a bit wrong last night and ate five jacket potatoes, is this election fever?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably scurvy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ms Adequate posted:

Beeb's top story atm is that Boris has said the election "will be tough" and the subheader is about Jezza saying this is a "once-in-a-generation" opportunity.

I'm not gonna say this means very much at all, but between this and the hilarious disparity between the social media videos today, there certainly seems to be more energy on one side that the other...

When are the media required to start giving impartial coverage, by the way?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

I went a bit wrong last night and ate five jacket potatoes, is this election fever?

Oh no, you did a Brian Harvey, please be careful throwing up out of your car door.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I am scared about this GE & generally not in great health atm but gently caress IT LET'S DO THIS. Death before surrender.

If anyone even vaguely near Swansea needs ferrying to swing seats hmu, always happy to help get more boots on the ground

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Don't see why we should bother with two threads when there's literally nothing else gonna be happening in UKPOL for the next 6 weeks besides election. Plus, y'know...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Here's my election prediction:

The other thread will be mostly UKMT posters shitposting for like another day. Then, most people will get bored, & it'll pretty much be a few weirdos talking to 'flaps for old times' sake or w/e. That'll probably carry on long enough for a few American liberals to come in thinking the thread is relevant & they will patiently listen to TIBFJC for a bit before getting bored and coming here, and the thread will die.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

alphabettitouretti posted:

In other news, there's a guy stuck upside down at the top of a 270ft chimney in Cumbria.

https://twitter.com/naim_asghar/status/1188748621791006720

This fella has a solution though.

https://twitter.com/naim_asghar/status/1188775763102834689

Let me tell you about my amazing submarine that will save this poor chimneybound peasant :smug:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Election meme game idea - Beaver Bother but herding Borises into a ditch

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Good luck all of you, you deserve getting to yeet Johnson out of government for good.

Christ I hope Corbyn absolutely murders it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Goddammit, how does he seem so genuine? We've got one of the top PR firms focus grouping this, it's costing us millions and it's still not working! What do we have to say to get the public to think we are trustworthy humans? Which set of lies is the correct one?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Keep it together, Bozza old chap. You may be surrounded by ethnics, but this is a necessary step on the road to becoming World King. Just feign polite interest until you can get back to your ministerial car and away from this horrible place. You're a winner, your reflection says so every morning. Don't cry. Don't cry. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Jo Swinson is on R4 claiming that the Lib Dems have internal polling showing that they're only "a very small swing" from winning hundreds of seats.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jo Swinson is on R4 claiming that the Lib Dems have internal polling showing that they're only "a very small swing" from winning hundreds of seats.

I imagine at least 50% of their party membership.polled would vote LD

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

is there gona be pmq's today or is parliament dissolved

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

presumably if Corbyn hangs himself?

i hope those are Tory seats, I'd be not entirely disappointed by Labour / LD

(ed: in retrospect, i should make it clear i'm suggesting the only way it happens is if Corbs gets taken out by MI5)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 30, 2019

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only way a "very small swing" leads to a LibDem majority is if it's what every other candidate is caught noncing on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh yeah I guess my ex does pay her rent with checks, now that you mention it!
When I lived in California I had to pay my rent with cheques; I asked the bank to just set up a direct debit and they said they couldn’t / wouldn’t ‘for my protection’ :confused:

Their alternative offering was to automatically post a cheque to my landlord on my behalf every month. US banking is staggeringly far behind, they only got chip + PIN a couple of years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The election isn't even technically on yet, the bill for it needs to pass the lords like any other legislation because it had to bypass the FTPA.

Parliment still sits until sometime next week I think at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Is it worth joining momentum? Is anyone here a member?