Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Starcraft 2 also, like, made it impossible to do custom campaigns which were a big part of the Brood War customs scene.

I'm pretty sure blizzard had intended to sell custom campaigns or provide that for the whole pay to play scene originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Starcraft 2 also, like, made it impossible to do custom campaigns which were a big part of the Brood War customs scene.

Not sure where you heard that from, but there's actually quite a few. Mass Recall in particular imported the entirety of the Starcraft and Brood War campaigns into Starcraft II and is pretty great.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kith posted:

Not sure where you heard that from, but there's actually quite a few. Mass Recall in particular imported the entirety of the Starcraft and Brood War campaigns into Starcraft II and is pretty great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most custom campaigns need to be, like, loaded in strange ways? I remember for one of the Starcraft conversions, you had to load a setup map in the editor and then play it that way. I think Antioch Chronicles had similar. There's nothing like Brood War where you chuck them into a folder, click custom scenario, and just browse to the first map in the sequence. Checking some of these out, the instructions to play seem to back that up - load in editor, test map, play campaign.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh yeah, I won't argue that the Custom Campaign implementation is not nearly as smoothly supported as Warcraft III's - they're much closer to a traditional mod rather than something you can build easily. The Galaxy Editor being almost completely inscrutable for the non-technically minded doesn't help.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Galaxy is them just going "well people loved world edit because it was so powerful and could do lots of cool stuff right?" And then doubling down on that logic.

It can indeed do lots of cool stuff in engine. It also took me something around 40-50 files to create a chain lightning spell that leveled up. It's by far the least user friendly map editor blizzard has put out.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
idk about the actual quality of the editor, but theres some pretty wild stuff in the dota one, like there's a warlocks equivalent and rpgs and i recently played a tower defense with gacha elements that was a lil wild?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Back in the sc2 beta in 2010 one of the first things I attempted to do was to make the simplest possible 16 player map, mostly for myself and a few friends to mess around against the AI, as at the time that was the technical max player limit. It was just a few ridges and piles of rich mineral and gas fields that never exhausted, basically big game hunters. But I quickly discovered a complication - the 16th player slot was also used to own the minerals and gas, meaning all minerals and gas would be hostile and unharvestable to other players. Since I couldn't add a 17th disused slot for neutral stuff, the most sensible solution seemed to be to alter the targeting properties for the mineral harvesting and geyser building commands so they could target hostile owned resources, remove vision from resources so player 16 gained no advantage, and then everyone gets used to resources being red highlighted instead of yellow. But in the summer of 2010 in the beta galaxy editor this was loving impossible to figure out how to do and the mapping community couldn't help me. After about 8 hours that concluded in fruitless exploration of obscure properties that were indecipherable I gave up and just made it be 15 players instead. A few years later Blizzard reduced the official playercount to 15, saying 16 players 'was not intended to be supported'. I'll say.

There's some good sc2 custom campaigns, I played a couple, Subjection and Mass Recall (played the latter several times) both were fun. The most comprehensive list is probably Jayborino's.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eregos posted:

There's some good sc2 custom campaigns, I played a couple, Subjection and Mass Recall (played the latter several times) both were fun. The most comprehensive list is probably Jayborino's.

I'll agree that he's got a good list - one of the reasons he started branching out into other games was because he was running out of decent custom campaigns to play for Warcraft 3, Brood War, and SC2.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eregos posted:

Back in the sc2 beta in 2010 one of the first things I attempted to do was to make the simplest possible 16 player map, mostly for myself and a few friends to mess around against the AI, as at the time that was the technical max player limit. It was just a few ridges and piles of rich mineral and gas fields that never exhausted, basically big game hunters. But I quickly discovered a complication - the 16th player slot was also used to own the minerals and gas, meaning all minerals and gas would be hostile and unharvestable to other players. Since I couldn't add a 17th disused slot for neutral stuff, the most sensible solution seemed to be to alter the targeting properties for the mineral harvesting and geyser building commands so they could target hostile owned resources, remove vision from resources so player 16 gained no advantage, and then everyone gets used to resources being red highlighted instead of yellow. But in the summer of 2010 in the beta galaxy editor this was loving impossible to figure out how to do and the mapping community couldn't help me. After about 8 hours that concluded in fruitless exploration of obscure properties that were indecipherable I gave up and just made it be 15 players instead. A few years later Blizzard reduced the official playercount to 15, saying 16 players 'was not intended to be supported'. I'll say.

That's why they had Neutral Passive in War3 in the first place!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Whoa, just found someone apparently made warcraft 3 custom campaign remakes of warcraft 1 & 2?

This is exceptionally rad

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I haven't tried the Warcraft 2 remakes, but I've seen the Warcraft 1 remake. One is notable in that is does a good job recreating Warcraft 1 mechanically within Warcraft 3. Whether this is a good or bad thing is... up for debate.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They don't make you build roads at least :cheeky: (easy to forget that was a thing in War1)

war 1 seems real impressive, each of the level intros is preserved with audio and cutscenes in-engine. And the units and tech trees of war1 are recreated faithfully. The only thing off is some of the units say the war1 things and some units say war3 things, including like the warlocks saying war3 necromancer quotes about arthas and poo poo that doesn't belong. But no biggie.

war 2 started good with a good in-engine remake of the opening cutscene, but then... they stop doing that completely. Missions don't have any briefing, which is a bummer. The units and icons and tech tree are again faithfully recreated though, including the oil economy.

Overall very impressive work. Very faithful.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

including the oil economy.
Holy loving poo poo! I sure wish I could play these campaigns (or War3 on my computer ever again).

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Wow, the High Elf King and Quel'Delar guy actually got models. There's even a high elf archmage now.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 19, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/warcraft3/23150112/warcraft-iii-reforged-s-multiplayer-beta-begins-this-week

Multiplayer beta this week invites will be out soon. Orcs and human only.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Nelf and UD gonna be all placeholder models when reforged "releases"

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

no way this game is released in 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It will release with Orcs versus Humans, like god intended. NE and UD will be optional expansion packs in 2020.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They color-coded the health bars! Awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whose bright idea was it to make warcraft 3 Realistic and Grey

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

whose bright idea was it to make warcraft 3 Realistic and Grey

I was concerned about some of the models myself but when you see it in action from RTS perspective, it looks basically the exact same as war3 just more polys. So :shrug:

E: Are you looking at that link gif? Because that has a grey texture overlaid on it. This is what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDf3DQuvp6k

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 30, 2019

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jesus christ this looks so bad, the shoddy animations I can forgive since they are unfinished but the overall aesthetic and the unit portraits just look ugly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm just happy to see relatively advanced tactics from I guess an official Blizzard-sanctioned thing. Buying invuln potions never really crosses a typical pubbie's mind. Mountain King/Rifleman is a similar 'pretty good player' build since a lot of human players just do footman/paladin for a stupid long time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

jokes posted:

a lot of human players just do footman/paladin for a stupid long time.

It tickles the RP part of your brain, and the tickling's good.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
MK Rifles tickles the Command & Conquer part of my brain. :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got into beta. Totally forgot how to play W3 or RTS games in general :v:

Game looks sweet as poo poo tho

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah the beta has been interesting to check out. I am SO. loving. SLOW. What's it called, micro? My micro is non-existent. That said, it's a fun-rear end nostalgia trip.

Doesn't feel super ready for release, though. I had some crashing issues and the multiplayer had a little (but notable) chop. Thought maybe it was on my side, but other people were complaining about the same. Constructing a Barracks can cause you to lock up, sometimes. Kind of a hurdle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

boredsatellite posted:

Jesus christ this looks so bad, the shoddy animations I can forgive since they are unfinished but the overall aesthetic and the unit portraits just look ugly

I really, really hope the animations get completely overhauled. The graphics look almost decent, like an uncanny valley version of Blizzard style, but not a single animation has any weight to it. Heavily armoured dudes are ballerina tapping across the ground; other walking brick shithouses look like they're gliding on ice. Weapons gracefully slide through the air with no sense of momentum or impact.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 30, 2019

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I thought they kept the animations the same to remain consistent with old War3. Maybe they could achieve the same by updating the animations but just keeping the timing the same.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The animations are very different from OG War3, so it's not even a problem with consistent timing, which would make sense.

To see what I mean, take a look at how those footmen run. They do not look like burly dudes wearing their weight in steel. Or even worse, look at the mountain king. He's running in place like a bugs bunny animation, and gliding around on ice.

Look at the peasants chopping the trees. The axe doesn't impact at any point of the swing, like they're just hitting air. Their building animation looks better, to be fair, but a lot of the melee attacks look like that.

It was really apparent with the close up to the Paladin and Tauren Warrior in the earlier videos, but even the footmen here look like they're just lazily swinging through the air. There's no point of impact, and they decelerate their weapon at the end of the swing. If you can look up the Paladin and Tauren in the old Warcraft 3 battle.net site you'll see where I'm coming from. Those attacks look liked they had momentum and hit something.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He's running in place like a bugs bunny animation, and gliding around on ice.

This part sounds very WC3 to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
footmen never looked weighty to me.

My problem is how grey everything is. When I think wc3 I think of a glowing royal blue cape on a light green background. Like an illustration in a picture book. Naga sea witch went from turquoise to grey. Its weird.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Footmen actually seem like they swung and the sword kinda got stuck for a second on impact. It seemed weighty considering most other weapon swings in video games at the time were just soldiers whiffing through the air in a big ol' horizontal slice or something but still registering a hit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Footmen have that shield ability that lets you HUP HUP HUP into battle erryday. Like it's not that good but you feel good protecting your footies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

One issue is everything is super detailed and realistic which clashes with War3 (and arguably Warcraft as a franchise) and its cartoony, chunk models. This likely means animations don’t translate correctly because you this hyper realistic unit trying to mimic the animation of a cartoon.

Also the color palette is not bright enough and the textures for terrain are...ugh.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Warcraft III: When men were men, orcs were orcs, and that’s it nothing else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol no release date at blizzcon

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

lol no release date at blizzcon

You can buy your way into the beta with a blizzcon ticket I think that’s the only announcement they made for it hahaha

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Anyone at Blizzcon dressed as Winnie the Pooh? God, Xi is such a dumb baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope they completely overhaul the unit portraits because holy poo poo do they look terrible