Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh HELL yes, I’m going to get glow sticks now!

Edit: I also have candy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cinni posted:

"Alright Jimmy, you can only go to one house tonight, so pick wisely where you want to get your candy from."

"Oh boy, this house looks cool! I bet they will have really good candy!!"

"Here's your flashlight, happy halloween!"

:saddowns:

No poo poo, one house on my street gave out toothbrushes every year

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Iron Crowned posted:

No poo poo, one house on my street gave out toothbrushes every year

I'm 30 and even I'd egg them

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

but you also gave out candy right?

yes but i poison it all with satan-pills

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Satan is lord so good on doing the lords work

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah but not THAT small. Now it seems like (based on what I see in the stores anyway) you're extremely lucky to get a half-size bar, where back when I did it only the lame houses gave out half size and it was always a race to get to the full size bar houses before they run out. Now it's pretty much all "fun size" candy for ants. There's nothing "fun" about that size.

https://youtu.be/3iYM-lJXMDw&t=12m42s

I know you now, yeah I eat rear end

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Oct 29, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I once as a kid got a packet of instant oatmeal in my Hallowe'en candy and that was probably the weirdest non-candy item I got

At least there were no chick tracts

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Someone put home-baked cookies in mine once, I could only presume it was one of the old fuckers that hadn't left their house except to collect yard decorations since 1975

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Someone put home-baked cookies in mine once, I could only presume it was one of the old fuckers that hadn't left their house except to collect yard decorations since 1975

My parents would have tossed that out right away because it could contain drugs and/or used needles.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents would have tossed that out right away because it could contain drugs and/or used needles.

Pretty much what happened. They were just like oh we don't know what their kitchen is like... Or who it is... Or anything...

Which yeah after food safety certification classes the kitchen conditions alone would warn me away, let alone the possibility of tampering.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I lived across the street from my dentist when I was young, and he always put toothbrushes and floss in our bags.
What a buzzkill.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
we had a neighbor who always made homemade popcorn balls (or sometimes they'd be in gloves so they were popcorn hands instead) but our parents knew her so we just ate them. she did it because she was old and on a pension and popcorn is much cheaper than candy

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I get about six trick or treaters a year, so you better believe they get king size candy bars.

And if I don't get rid of them all, I get king size candy bars.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Another Hallowe'en peeve bc it comes up at work surprisingly often, people who take their kids Hallowe'en candy away from them (without an agreement with the kid). Sometimes it's 'hurr durr I'm teaching them about taxation', sometimes it's simply 'yeah I let them have a bit the night of then throw the rest out when they're at school' but, your children are people and deserve your respect, Jesus christ?? What do you think you're modeling to them about how to respect other people's possessions??

Also, teeth and pancreata are not so fragile that Hallowe'en will ruin your kid

e: and to those who would say 'have kids first before judging someone's parenting', a) no, b) gently caress you, c) I'd make a way better parent than you lmao

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Oct 30, 2019

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

Another Hallowe'en peeve bc it comes up at work surprisingly often, people who take their kids Hallowe'en candy away from them (without an agreement with the kid). Sometimes it's 'hurr durr I'm teaching them about taxation', sometimes it's simply 'yeah I let them have a bit the night of then throw the rest out when they're at school' but, your children are people and deserve your respect, Jesus christ?? What do you think you're modeling to them about how to respect other people's possessions??

Also, teeth and pancreata are not so fragile that Hallowe'en will ruin your kid

e: and to those who would say 'have kids first before judging someone's parenting', a) no, b) gently caress you, c) I'd make a way better parent than you lmao

My peeve right now is your use of the apostroph in Halloween. Why is it there?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Helios Grime posted:

That's the correct spelling. It's a contraction.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Well I've never seen it before and it irritates me now.

Also not native english speaker etc.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Helios Grime posted:

Well I've never seen it before and it irritates me now.

Also not native english speaker etc.

Hallowe’en is a contraction of Hallows’ Eve as it’s the day before All Hallows’ Day, or All Saints’ Day as most people call it now. It was the time that you remembered the dead and as with a lot of western Christianity a good dose of paganism got mixed into the festivals.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Helith posted:

Hallowe’en is a contraction of Hallows’ Eve as it’s the day before All Hallows’ Day, or All Saints’ Day as most people call it now. It was the time that you remembered the dead and as with a lot of western Christianity a good dose of paganism got mixed into the festivals.

So where did the v go, and where did the n come from, smart guy?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The ‘v’ is replaced by the apostrophe, and the ‘n’ probably comes from the Scottish pronunciation of evening which they shortened to ‘even’ and other dialects shortened it to ‘eve’, so Hallows Even(ing) became Hallowe’en.
People get lazy pronouncing words and they get contracted and worn down over time.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hallowveen

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh yeah I actually went out of my way to change my autocorrect to put the apostrophe back in, bc guess what, pet peeve #9263 is the dropping of the apostrophe from Hallowe'en

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Reading about Halloween these last few days I got a new pet peeve: Celtic languages. How can "Samhain" be pronounced "sawin"? :psyduck:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

Reading about Halloween these last few days I got a new pet peeve: Celtic languages. How can "Samhain" be pronounced "sawin"? :psyduck:

non-stop exposure to peat fumes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Negrostrike posted:

Letters are meaningless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

Letters are meaningless

Uaz, ðec hæuut krüci 5i nnòi ᚦauudz

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brawnfire posted:

Uaz, ðec hæuut krüci 5i nnòi ᚦauudz

I always find it amusing to hear "THis is England, speak English" due to english only existing due to imported cultures. If you want to whine, learn to speak British, ie old english Beowulf style, then you'll have a leg to stand on. Also I find accents interesting because they are basically one language spoken using the phonemes of another. Like Japanese with an English accent is Japanese spoken with English Phonemes and vice versa.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find it amusing to hear "THis is England, speak English" due to english only existing due to imported cultures. If you want to whine, learn to speak British, ie old english Beowulf style, then you'll have a leg to stand on.
And Beowulf was written by German migrants who invaded after the Romans left.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol just lol if you don't only speak proper proto-indo-european.

Actual pet peeve: people insisting english is based on latin and/or greek. I can only assume these people have never seen french or german (or any of its cousins) written down or spoken cuz I'm fairly certain an uncontacted andaman islander could figure out what english is derived from by experiencing those three together for like a week.

e: my german is Very Bad but I cannot think of a basic german word I've learned that isn't either cognate to basic english or translated into something we use a basic french cognate for.

"dog" doesn't go to either but we also have hounds and canines so.

e2: where the gently caress does the word dog come from? some celtic language?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Oct 31, 2019

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SA related Pet peeve. The headlines for the threads is funny instead of descriptive. I want to know what the thread is about. I guess people think it reads like "Clever funny line that is relevant to thread, huhuh". But it reads more like "LOOK GUYS I AM BEING FUNNY, I AM BEING FUNNY GUYS!".

Midig has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Oct 31, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Helios Grime posted:

This is one of my most petty peeves. I acknowledge it is considered "correct", but I hate it anyway. I always read it in my head like "hallow - wee- en" with an extra syllable and keep repeating it internally over and over getting more annoyed at it each time. It's one of those things that people learn about and use excessively so they can post "well actually that's the Correct way" when people ask them why they're typing it like that.

To generalize this, my peeve is smug correctness. You're right, but I badly want you not to be because it's annoying.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Words like that are most likely remnants of earlier tribal languages spoken in certain areas, similar to the word "sea" which displaced different words in different languages. In German See means lake, Meer means sea in German, but Mer means sea in French (think of Mermaid) and lake is Lac, in Dutch Zee is sea, but Meer is lake.

"Lake" and "Mer" is a purely indo-european word but "sea" probably weaseled its way into various languages and came to mean various things over time because, like dog, it's a short easy word to pronounce and points to something really common and everyday. Dog is probably also from some tribal language that used to exist in northwest europe but went extinct and passed some words into the indo-european languages

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Words like that are most likely remnants of earlier tribal languages spoken in certain areas, similar to the word "sea" which displaced different words in different languages. In German See means lake, Meer means sea in German, but Mer means sea in French (think of Mermaid) and lake is Lac, in Dutch Zee is sea, but Meer is lake.

"Lake" and "Mer" is a purely indo-european word but "sea" probably weaseled its way into various languages and came to mean various things over time because, like dog, it's a short easy word to pronounce and points to something really common and everyday. Dog is probably also from some tribal language that used to exist in northwest europe but went extinct and passed some words into the indo-european languages

I always thought mer vs sea was just a latin/germanic thing. Languages are neat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Modern day Scandinavians who call themselves "vikings". You are not vikings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Swedes really into Charles XII

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who claim to be "weird".

If you commit public, homoerotic ritual suicide in the name of an obscure political or religious cause, I'd say that's pretty weird. If you are a guy who got knocked on the head and suddenly only speaks Chinese and no other languages, you are also eligible to call yourself weird. The fact that you dabbed in your holiday photo, on its own, does not mean that you are weird.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

:hmmyes:

Although the normal ones are just vaguely smug but with a point

The CAROLUS REX ones are straight-up fash

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The general decline in quality content among youtube videos, forums, news, and blogs, etc. around holidays. I don't want the internet to be filled with CURRENT HOLIDAY. I can go out there and experience it. Especially April fools is not really that funny. It just means I have to reluctantly avoid the internet for two days. Sort of the same thing with Christmas, Easter and Halloween. I am on my phone to ignore that poo poo for two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

People who claim to be "weird".

If you commit public, homoerotic ritual suicide in the name of an obscure political or religious cause, I'd say that's pretty weird. If you are a guy who got knocked on the head and suddenly only speaks Chinese and no other languages, you are also eligible to call yourself weird. The fact that you dabbed in your holiday photo, on its own, does not mean that you are weird.

see also: claiming to be eccentric because you bought a monocle or something. Some personality labels are inherently things that you can't place on yourself, because they imply a lack of self-awareness, hence why you're being so "weird". You can't wear a personality, no matter what hot topic has tried to tell people all this time.