Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ramos posted:

I think the whole ASI or feat thing would have landed better if people got a level 1 feat as the norm rather than as a special variant human thing. There's really not enough feats in the game for you to need a lot and a lot of them do give your character a lot of unique traits.

Giving my players the ability to choose a feat at level 1 seemed to make them pretty happy. Especially with those martial builds that really want PAM/GWM/Sharpshooter.

I did tell them they couldn't take Lucky for free, because I was really fuckin sick of seeing Lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Survey.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5231853/pas?sglocale=en&src=mxheader

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I took da survey. I saw Warlord on that class list and you know I slammed down favorite on there.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Has the fighter taken the feat that lets him take damage for the mount? (Mounted Combatant I think)

One of my players took that and I could never get rid of his Pegasus after that.

I have. Only applies to 'attacks', sadly.

Ramos posted:

You could give the player a recharging wand of Find Steed that still needs ten minutes of casting. I enjoy playing with mounts as a Paladin but I'm not going to pretend it would be even a mildly worthwhile endeavor without that spell.

But seriously, even with the DM trying to play along, those mounts go down the moment a stiff breeze of area of effect hits. Have Paladin save aura and armor on the horses only does so much.

Wanted to go Cavalier and not a fan of multiclassing so. Sorry not the GM, but yeah ordinary mounts don't have much going for them.

Mendrian posted:

I struggle to imagine how you're having so many encounters where you are mounted and also facing enemy spellcasters.

Halfling with a Medium-sized mount answers most of that problem. But truthfully we haven't really had any encounters inside for ages.

You struggle but we have an Adventurers' Guild setup, where the current arc has us facing renegade parties. As in NPCs with PC classes and mechanics. As in Sorcerors and Wizards and oh my.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terratina posted:

I have. Only applies to 'attacks', sadly.

Don't they also only take half or no damage from area attacks as well from the feat?

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't they also only take half or no damage from area attacks as well from the feat?

Ah totally missed that. The mounts still would have died regardless just due to sheer volume of spells whizzing around.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If your mount isn't equipped with barding for 17~18 AC and taking Dodge every turn for disadvantage on enemy attacks against it and advantage on DEX saving throws, it deserves to die.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If your mount isn't one second level Paladin Lore Bard spell slot from reappearing, it deserves to die, unless it's a griffon and a 4th level spell slot from reappearing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I took the survey. I listed Tome of Battle as my favorite D&D supplement ever.

Not sure why I bothered filling in the rest of it after that point, since I'm fairly certain whoever's in charge of reading these things will throw it out once they reach that point.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

If your mount isn't equipped with barding for 17~18 AC and taking Dodge every turn for disadvantage on enemy attacks against it and advantage on DEX saving throws, it deserves to die.

It definitely deserves all enemy spellcasters throwing their spells and cantrips at it, yes.

Infinite Karma posted:

If your mount isn't one second level Paladin Lore Bard spell slot from reappearing, it deserves to die, unless it's a griffon and a 4th level spell slot from reappearing.

Let's face it, I deserve to die anyway for not playing a full caster.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Malpais Legate posted:

Giving my players the ability to choose a feat at level 1 seemed to make them pretty happy. Especially with those martial builds that really want PAM/GWM/Sharpshooter.

I did tell them they couldn't take Lucky for free, because I was really fuckin sick of seeing Lucky.

I'm running Curse of Strahd soon and I was floating the idea of:

-Starting at level 3 (so everyone has their subclass already, plus I want to skip Death House and get right into the main quest because I'm going for a Castlevania tone)
-No variant human, but everyone gets a feat at level 1
-No multiclassing
-Levels with ASIs also give feats, rather than having to choose between the two

Also as usual for games I run, point buy or standard scores only, plus average HP gain per level.

I dislike the 5E multiclassing rules and I have this theory that subclasses plus feat/ASI choices would do a better job of letting people mix and match themes. I guess Pathfinder 2E had a similar idea by replacing multiclassing with special feat trees, but I'll make do with 5E's feat implementation. I'm kind of tempted to let players take certain class features as feats, such as Fighting Style, but I don't want to get too crazy with things before I test out the base idea

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
CoS ends before multiclasses pay themselves off anyway.

Terratina posted:

It definitely deserves all enemy spellcasters throwing their spells and cantrips at it, yes.

Yes, everyone knows the greatest threat on the battlefield is the harmless animal letting a cavalier fighter move 40 feet per turn. That's *ten* whole feet more than usual!

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 30, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My current party goes through horses pretty rapidly. We don't ride them into combat though, we just end up getting them eaten by monsters or other wilderness dangers.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

One of my best recurring bits as a character was being deeply concerned for Rental Horse, because I really needed the deposit back

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's because feats are officially a variant rule. This means it's "OK" for them to half-rear end the balance.
Ugh, I'm reading some of the questions and I don't really have confidence they'll use the data in good faith.

What I want to say: "Don't make optimising a requirement to be effective"
What they will present it as: "People don't care about balance lol"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Man they are trying to pretend real hard that non-D&D games don't exist. I have spend 0% of the past year running /D&D/

e: Would you recommend D&D to someone ahahahaha

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 30, 2019

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, everyone knows the greatest threat on the battlefield is the harmless animal letting a cavalier fighter move 40 feet per turn. That's *ten* whole feet more than usual!

Truly too powerful for the world of D&D.

Meanwhile, the Warlock gets to erase folks from history whenever she scores a killing blow on them due to her patron. Oh, and she died betraying the party for the evils.

I know I'm in a bad game but holy moly, I have never seen a evil/good party (mostly good, two evil) divide end up this bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

Man they are trying to pretend real hard that non-D&D games don't exist. I have spend 0% of the past year running /D&D/

To be fair, I think they expect people who are doing the survey to be people that play the game.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Kind of weird that the earliest you can list playing 5e D&D is Jan 2014, I have playtests from before then.

Also yeah most of the people filling out the survey probably play 5e, which is why really they probably should be recommending people don't play it. Sadly it is kind of hard to find games of anything else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair, I think they expect people who are doing the survey to be people that play the game.

Actually they don't, the survey is set up mostly well for my case of "I like D&D but don't play 5e at all" except when it asked me how large my 5e groups are

Why would I not recommend D&D to anyone: Because Fifth Edition is terrible and you collaborated with Zak S and the RPGPundit

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Kind of weird that the earliest you can list playing 5e D&D is Jan 2014, I have playtests from before then.

I think you'll find before that point you were playin D&D NEXT.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Can two wizards using mage hand together create a clapping noise?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Can two wizards using mage hand together create a clapping noise?

Can't imagine why not. I ran a one shot last weekend where two players were obsessed with using mage hands to pop out of people's shield/armor and punch them in the face.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Taking a second shot at DMing. Going to be focusing on shorter stuff this time since a chunk of the group can only be there a couple hours.

Any specific level 1 adventures you can knock out in a couple hours anyone would recommend? Could also do a 4 hour one over 2 sessions. Considering using Treasure of the Broken Hoard, but its an AL game and I'm unsure how leveling should work with it? If I do a level per adventure they out level it and end up at tier 2, so that can't be right. Also considering In Volo's Wake and Lost Mines of Phandelver since some of them are new.

Or I could do the AL stuff for season 9. Played in the first one and it was fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

xanthan posted:

Taking a second shot at DMing. Going to be focusing on shorter stuff this time since a chunk of the group can only be there a couple hours.

Any specific level 1 adventures you can knock out in a couple hours anyone would recommend? Could also do a 4 hour one over 2 sessions. Considering using Treasure of the Broken Hoard, but its an AL game and I'm unsure how leveling should work with it? If I do a level per adventure they out level it and end up at tier 2, so that can't be right. Also considering In Volo's Wake and Lost Mines of Phandelver since some of them are new.

Or I could do the AL stuff for season 9. Played in the first one and it was fun.

LMoP is great but has enough content to get them to level 5, you could start it and run just the first chapter as an AL legal one-shot I suppose.

Sunless Citadel would be a pretty fun 4 hour romp, I enjoyed that one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Can't imagine why not. I ran a one shot last weekend where two players were obsessed with using mage hands to pop out of people's shield/armor and punch them in the face.

Mage Hand can't attack, sadly.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

xanthan posted:

Considering using Treasure of the Broken Hoard, but its an AL game and I'm unsure how leveling should work with it? If I do a level per adventure they out level it and end up at tier 2, so that can't be right.

Each mini adventure awards a max of 100 xp so they'd be level 2 still after running all 5.

e: just remembered season 9 is a thing, the whole thing is one adventure. still only gets to level 2.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 30, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Helping new players make their characters was exhausting. My PCs are:

A Sea Elf Warlock (raven queen pact) who is an underwater basket weaver (guild artisan).
A halfling bard criminal with a heart of gold.
A aarakocra fighter urchin. The pc hosed up the personality/ideal/bond/flaw and picked them from the soldier background. He was a child soldier I guess.
A half orc barbarian bounty hunter who is in for the money but hates murderers.
A tiefling sorcerer (divine soul) acolyte, a gentle kid who believes in authority yet was betrayed by it.

I can't wait to do this game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

I play 5e. I also GM regularly. I do not GM 5e regularly. This makes my answers to the GM section real weird. They're asking questions under the assumption that you only play D&D or a variant, if you play anything other than D&D a lot of the questions just flat do not work.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ElMaligno posted:

Helping new players make their characters was exhausting. My PCs are:

A Sea Elf Warlock (raven queen pact) who is an underwater basket weaver (guild artisan).
A halfling bard criminal with a heart of gold.
A aarakocra fighter urchin. The pc hosed up the personality/ideal/bond/flaw and picked them from the soldier background. He was a child soldier I guess.
A half orc barbarian bounty hunter who is in for the money but hates murderers.
A tiefling sorcerer (divine soul) acolyte, a gentle kid who believes in authority yet was betrayed by it.

I can't wait to do this game.

That sounds like a fun group. Bunch of non humans from the bad side of town just trying their best

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Splicer posted:

I play 5e. I also GM regularly. I do not GM 5e regularly. This makes my answers to the GM section real weird. They're asking questions under the assumption that you only play D&D or a variant, if you play anything other than D&D a lot of the questions just flat do not work.

I just answered longer than 6 months option. wish they had a module review option

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mage Hand can't attack, sadly.

They were first time players who found mage hand creepy and hysterical, it was worse than ever other attack they had, but goddammit I allowed it.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
Running my first D&D campaign and I've gotten into a bit of a dilemma. We're doing the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure, the 4 players are at level 3.

The party arrives to the Ruins of Thundertree, looking for a druid who knows the location to the next dungeon (Cragmaw Castle). By sheer coincidence they manage to promptly stumble upon the druid's hut who asks them to "get rid" of a young green dragon who has taken up residence in a nearby tower. The party beelines to the tower, encounters the dragon and the bard decides to Intimidate the dragon into leaving the village and rolls a natural 20. It was getting late, we were planning to wrap up the session soon and I decide to allow it, the dragon promptly flies off, the players loot its treasures and we finish the session.

Now I'm a little bit conflicted on how to continue in the next session. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have let the players get away with it so easily. The dragon was supposed to be the big set piece encounter for the area. On the other hand, in a fair fight, the dragon would have totally wiped the floor with the adventurers and is really only meant to get down to half its HP before being "chased off".

There's nothing else in Thundertree that has quite the same flair and most of the rest of the village is still unexplored.

I've thought of a few options how to move on from here, but haven't really settled on any of these:
A) Bring the dragon back in some way or form. Would probably feel like reneging on my previous decision, so I'm not really sure about this option.
B) Fast track through the rest of the zone and move on to Cragmaw Castle.
C) Think of a reason for the party to stay, make up a new boss encounter somewhere in the village, a group of dragon cultists, who reside in a nearby farm, comes to mind. Though, I can't really imagine making anything quite as memorable as party's first fight with a dragon could have been.

Looking for advice/opinion from more experienced DMs on if I'd made the right call and what you'd do in my position.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Just tell the players "I shouldn't have let you intimidate the dragon away that shouldn't have worked." Explain the situation and they should hopefully understand. Either that or the higher effort option is to put something else in it's place. Try to break the habit of just assuming that a 20 means "you succeed magnificent and anything you want becomes true" because it should probably not be possible for some random bard to be able to threaten a dragon into just up and bailing I don't think but that's up to you

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Weyd posted:

I've thought of a few options how to move on from here, but haven't really settled on any of these:
A) Bring the dragon back in some way or form. Would probably feel like reneging on my previous decision, so I'm not really sure about this option.
C) Think of a reason for the party to stay, make up a new boss encounter somewhere in the village, a group of dragon cultists, who reside in a nearby farm, comes to mind. Though, I can't really imagine making anything quite as memorable as party's first fight with a dragon could have been.

Looking for advice/opinion from more experienced DMs on if I'd made the right call and what you'd do in my position.

I'd recommend just skipping past it and getting on to Cragmaw, thats where the actual adventure is and the dragon is like a weird unrelated side divergence so I wouldn't stress too much about it. If you want to say 'thats not something that normally happens my bad we'll deal with that another time' thats fine but also teaching a lesson that you can talk your way through problems is pretty good too.

Glagha posted:

Just tell the players "I shouldn't have let you intimidate the dragon away that shouldn't have worked." Explain the situation and they should hopefully understand. Either that or the higher effort option is to put something else in it's place. Try to break the habit of just assuming that a 20 means "you succeed magnificent and anything you want becomes true" because it should probably not be possible for some random bard to be able to threaten a dragon into just up and bailing I don't think but that's up to you

That really loving depends on the game and tone you're running and the type of game you want to play so up to you if you want that to be a thing that can happen or not. A big thing to think about is if the outcome cant change based on a roll, dont allow a roll in the future. If a bard can just be so goddamn impressive with words and language that they can scare the poo poo out something bigger than them, thats perfectly okay if thats the tone you want to go for.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, probably the worst done part of LMoP is just plopping Venomfang down in Thundertree with no guidance. If you see it as a straight fight there’s a very real TPK chance but it’s hard to get in the head of a dragon, even a young one. Talking about nat 20s ooc is a good idea and I’d basically continue it where you left off but have Venomfang come back with a vengeance and maybe attack Phandalin looking for the party and its stolen treasure. The climax in wave echo cave isn’t actually a great stand-up fight but if they return to the town at level 5 by that point thinking they solved everything then OH poo poo what’s that swooping down on the town?? That’s a climax baby.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If the dragon is afraid of the bard, have it attack when the bard is unavailable. Or maybe it follows the adventurers and tries to kill them in their sleep. All you've determined is that the dragon is afraid to take them in a fair fight.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Weyd posted:

There's nothing else in Thundertree that has quite the same flair and most of the rest of the village is still unexplored.

Moving on is probably the best option, but if you really want to leave some consequences of the encounter here are a few ideas.

Have the dragon sabotage the party a few times using intermediaries. Maybe he hires some thieves to steal his treasure back, maybe he has someone hang fake wanted posters for the party calling for the return of whatever loot was most valuable, or convinces a tribe of kobold that the party has stolen thier clutch of eggs (which have been eaten). Go wild, but leave clues that something draconic is harassing them. If the players decide to confront the dragon let them track it down and run the encounter until half hp where the dragon promises pathetically to leave them alone.

Otherwise probly drop it after one or two of the above to give the player a feel that they have made an impact on the world and have enemies still out there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Weyd posted:

Running my first D&D campaign and I've gotten into a bit of a dilemma. We're doing the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure, the 4 players are at level 3.

The party arrives to the Ruins of Thundertree, looking for a druid who knows the location to the next dungeon (Cragmaw Castle). By sheer coincidence they manage to promptly stumble upon the druid's hut who asks them to "get rid" of a young green dragon who has taken up residence in a nearby tower. The party beelines to the tower, encounters the dragon and the bard decides to Intimidate the dragon into leaving the village and rolls a natural 20. It was getting late, we were planning to wrap up the session soon and I decide to allow it, the dragon promptly flies off, the players loot its treasures and we finish the session.

Now I'm a little bit conflicted on how to continue in the next session. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have let the players get away with it so easily. The dragon was supposed to be the big set piece encounter for the area. On the other hand, in a fair fight, the dragon would have totally wiped the floor with the adventurers and is really only meant to get down to half its HP before being "chased off".

For what it's worth, it sounds like you have the right approach here since all those options seem good. Making snap decisions at the end of a session that you regret is a normal habit that is hard to break. It seems like you'd like to do the dragon encounter so you should. I'd play it as a mate (CR4 Red Dragon Wyrmling) that is astonished that the big guy got up and left so easily, and has every intention of fixing the situation by toasting the party. Or alternatively have the dragon's two children (CR2 Green Dragon Wyrmlings) barge in clamoring for attention - the adult took off so easily just because he saw the party as an opportunity for some free babysitting / lunch. Either way, give the players some combat that they can take to the mat - they'll have fun and it'll be better than giving them an impossible combat that miraculously ends when the CR8 Young Green Dragon loses interest at half health. You can still do a final encounter with Venomfang at the end of the adventure when he seeks his revenge - perhaps with some lead up throughout the sessions as he tracks them down. And at level five the party will actually be capable of taking him down.

https://5thsrd.org/gamemaster_rules/monsters/red_dragon_wyrmling/

https://5thsrd.org/gamemaster_rules/monsters/green_dragon_wyrmling/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Splicer posted:

I know it's been a bit since this one but c'mon. I know people love tripping over themselves to say how completely garbage 5e is and it's a game with flaws that I complain about myself but:
1: Shockingly the D&D people don't give a flying gently caress what you think of Ars Magica or Dungeon World. They care what you think of D&D
2: Shut up