Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Invalid Validation posted:

We produce enough money to feed everyone in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Invalid Validation posted:

We produce enough food to feed everyone in the world but there’s no money in feeding the poor.

Mcdonalds

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

silence_kit posted:

I thought the problem in America wasn’t that poor people go hungry, it was that poor people get too fat from not exercising and eating unhealthy convenience food.

The prescription often given to this problem is increasing poor people’s access to fresh, “less-processed”, (also less shelf-stable) foods, but as you said, this increases food waste.

There's so many layers of poor in America. Some people starve or don't go to the doctor in order to keep a roof over their heads. I don't think this demographic gets much exposure. The US prides itself on "pull yourself up by your boot-straps" which seems to make being poor shameful in society. Most of the time you hear about it after the fact when something terrible like CPS getting involved. I suspect most die quietly.

Most of this is conjecture. I don't have any evidence to support this theory. It's just what I've seen around where I live.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silence_kit posted:

I thought the problem in America wasn’t that poor people go hungry, it was that poor people get too fat from not exercising and eating unhealthy convenience food.

The prescription often given to this problem is increasing poor people’s access to fresh, “less-processed”, (also less shelf-stable) foods, but as you said, this increases food waste.

37 Million Americans lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I grew up moving every year, being homeless at times, not knowing when my next meal would be etc etc until I turned 14 or so. I was skinny as hell until I had a stable place to live with plenty of food. Now I have to consciously remind myself that each meal will come on time and that I don't have to overeat so I won't be hungry later

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Lambert posted:

In 1983 the CIA came to the conclusion that the average Soviet citizen was eating about the same amount of food as Americans, but that their diet was more nutritious:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...D6an1pa4dwJeWhI

This is pretty interesting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I grew up moving every year, being homeless at times, not knowing when my next meal would be etc etc until I turned 14 or so. I was skinny as hell until I had a stable place to live with plenty of food. Now I have to consciously remind myself that each meal will come on time and that I don't have to overeat so I won't be hungry later

This is a thing that fucks with you long-term if you've been poor enough to live with food insecurity. It's been a few years since I had to worry about it, and I still find myself keeping a month's worth of canned/dried goods in the pantry just in case I have to stretch a paycheck.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's not really such a thing as "unhealthy food" and prancing around acting like if only the majority of the population liked slightly different food they wouldn't get fat from overeating it is merely an exercise in competing marketing budgets. And overeating by a little bit, but enough to add up over decades and decades to being rather overweight is extremely easy to do when food is widely available and people aren't at risk of undergoing starvation. People who have been at risk of starvation will tend to overeat even more... but it's still something that takes an extended time to build up to serious overweight, let alone obese.

Which is why you see fatness rising globally, America just got to it first because America was about the least hosed up and richest country after World War II, where the full machinery of plentiful food was available.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
There is absolutely 100% such a thing as unhealthy food, and it definitely turns into an unhealthy diet when consumed near exclusively, which is what regularly happens with low income people in food deserts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quandary posted:

There is absolutely 100% such a thing as unhealthy food, and it definitely turns into an unhealthy diet when consumed near exclusively, which is what regularly happens with low income people in food deserts.

Actually, the "unhealthy diet" that the vast majority of Americans partakes in is simply eating a lot of food, total. Whatever fad diet you have in mind is not the secret to morally upright food.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

A family friend adopted twin infants from an orphanage in Kazakhstan. They used to eat as much as they could, then hide food in their cheeks, like chipmunks, for later.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

fishmech posted:

Actually, the "unhealthy diet" that the vast majority of Americans partakes in is simply eating a lot of food, total. Whatever fad diet you have in mind is not the secret to morally upright food.

At first I was like who is this moron. Then I was like oh it’s that moron. You show up everywhere, like bad posting is a sport you’re trying to be a professional at. It’s actually kind of impressive.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fishmech is the kind of guy who eats a small bag of potato chips exactly one designated serving size at a time

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a thing that fucks with you long-term if you've been poor enough to live with food insecurity. It's been a few years since I had to worry about it, and I still find myself keeping a month's worth of canned/dried goods in the pantry just in case I have to stretch a paycheck.

This is good practice, regardless, in case of natural disasters.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudanonymous posted:

At first I was like who is this moron. Then I was like oh it’s that moron. You show up everywhere, like bad posting is a sport you’re trying to be a professional at. It’s actually kind of impressive.

Care to provide any evidence for your own misguided diet plan that would totally make the entire western world no longer fat? It's a consistent pattern across dozens of cultures with wildly different foodways and the only thing in common being food is now (rightfully) cheap.

Or do you just want to yell about how the ungrateful poor are enjoying the wrong foods?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech posted:

Care to provide any evidence for your own misguided diet plan that would totally make the entire western world no longer fat? It's a consistent pattern across dozens of cultures with wildly different foodways and the only thing in common being food is now (rightfully) cheap.

Or do you just want to yell about how the ungrateful poor are enjoying the wrong foods?

never change, fishmech

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

Let's revisit your stupendously stupid comment that no food is unhealthy instead.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Sugar in large quantities can really add on the weight. When you combine that with fat, well, the body burns the sugar first. When everything you eat and drink has sugar in it, including things that didn't used to, like chicken soup and bread, well, your body forgets to burn the fat. It's something I've learned from trying out a keto diet to get the fat reserves off my organs and my HDLs in check.

Mediterranean diet was a good example of a naturally occurring healthy diet in a not-third-world area. Now that people are eating more American style products, obesity has gone up in that region. Cause and effect.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 30, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unoriginal Name posted:

Let's revisit your stupendously stupid comment that no food is unhealthy instead.

No food is unhealthy yeah. Sorry about what you want to believe about spooky ghost foods.

inkblottime posted:

Sugar in large quantities can really add on the weight. When you combine that with fat, well, the body burns the sugar first. When everything you eat and drink has sugar in it, including things that didn't used to, like chicken soup and bread, well, your body forgets to burn the fat. It's something I've learned from trying out a keto diet to get the fat reserves off my organs and my HDLs in check.

Mediterranean diet was a good example of a naturally occurring healthy diet in a not-third-world area. Now that people are eating more American style products, obesity has gone up in that region. Cause and effect.

Translation: if you eat food in large quantities you put on weight. Wow, what a stunning revelation, using a lot of the basic caloric ingredients increases the calories.

Which Mediterranean diet by the way? They hardly are the same in Gibraltar as in nice as in Athens as in Gaza as in Cairo in the first place.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
fishmech has taken up the torch for this argument before on the forums, and it is one I am sympathetic to.

There are a lot of paradoxes in how food moralists (never heard this phrase before fishmech used it just now--I think it is really appropriate) talk about America's food industry, Americans' food habits, and the correct way to eat food.

I think a lot of nutritional advice is just the naturalistic fallacy writ large. Eating a small or moderate amount of 'processed' or convenience food is not going to make you weigh 300 pounds, nor will it make you malnourished.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fishmech posted:

No food is unhealthy yeah. Sorry about what you want to believe about spooky ghost foods.

You're going to tell me that this meal is healthy?
https://www.nutritionix.com/i/hungry-man/classic-fried-chicken-mesquite/5854e3e2c57e95f91e7f6158

It's one serving, 1,050 calories, and contains 111% of your daily fat, and 86% of your daily sodium intake for the day. It also only contains 10%-20% of your required vitamins a day. You could eat two of these a day and stay pretty close to the recommended daily caloric intake while doubling the amount of fat you should consume a day while also getting a quarter of the vitamins you should be consuming a day.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

https://www.nutritionix.com/i/hungry-man/classic-fried-chicken-mesquite/5854e3e2c57e95f91e7f6158

It's one serving, 1,050 calories, and contains 111% of your daily fat, and 86% of your daily sodium intake for the day. It also only contains 10%-20% of your required vitamins a day. You could eat two of these a day and stay pretty close to the recommended daily caloric intake while doubling the amount of fat you should consume a day while also getting a quarter of the vitamins you should be consuming a day.

you see, people just need to set half the meal aside and eat it another day. personal responsibility

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

:fishmech:: Eating two of those a day every day would be an unhealthy eating habit yet you could eat that from time to time and be fine so that food is not 'unhealthy'.

This is how every example goes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's physical inactivity that is the real unhealthy part. You're never going to burn off all the calories you consume by doing exercise but your body will naturally require more calories to operate if you're fit and healthy so all the energy (fat, sugar, whatever) gets used up instead of sticking around. What I'm saying is that ridiculous chicken dish is only as unhealthy as the person eating it is. Sedentary people consuming pure fast energy food and drink (eg soft drinks filled with sugar) is really awful, as another example.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I don't know if Hungry Man is a good example of "food". It's essentially Bachelor Chow from Futurama (now with flavor!). It's for slobby single men with no one who cares about them in their immediate lives.

And I do mean men. I've never seen a woman buy one. Many of my guy friends otoh.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Flayer posted:

It's physical inactivity that is the real unhealthy part. You're never going to burn off all the calories you consume by doing exercise but your body will naturally require more calories to operate if you're fit and healthy so all the energy (fat, sugar, whatever) gets used up instead of sticking around. What I'm saying is that ridiculous chicken dish is only as unhealthy as the person eating it is. Sedentary people consuming pure fast energy food and drink (eg soft drinks filled with sugar) is really awful, as another example.

You will not be able to out-train a diet comprised of that fat and salt lick block of horrors. For the simple fact that the macros in it are terrible.

You all are something else with this poo poo.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Apparently, subsisting entirely on pork rinds is healthy. Just brilliant stuff.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I feel like everyone involved in this argument should post their definition of "healthy," because fishmech seems to be technically right if healthy just means "won't automatically make you fat." I know a guy who is chronically underweight, does literally no physical activity, lives on Celeste frozen pizzas, and probably hasn't cooked with a vegetable in thirty years. As dumb as that is, there's nothing weird about the fact that he's not fat. He just doesn't eat a lot.

I'm being kind of pedantic, but this seems important if you want to talk about nebulous ideas like why Americans (and pretty much the whole developed world at this point) are fat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chronically underweight is also likely to be unhealthy.

The two big takeaways from this discussion are that Americans need more exercise (meaning more free time during times when exercise is appealing) and that American portion sizes in both restaurants and pre-packaged food are deeply wrong and intentionally gamed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Thundercracker posted:

I don't know if Hungry Man is a good example of "food". It's essentially Bachelor Chow from Futurama (now with flavor!). It's for slobby single men with no one who cares about them in their immediate lives.

And I do mean men. I've never seen a woman buy one. Many of my guy friends otoh.

Devour has taught me you can have Mac and Cheese for dinner every night!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like everyone involved in this argument should post their definition of "healthy," because fishmech seems to be technically right if healthy just means "won't automatically make you fat."

the original derail is about how lack of exercise and abundance of cheap fatty junk food is one of the things that makes americans overweight, which is pretty noncontroversial

one of fishmech's pet arguments is that any food is healthy in moderation which misses the point that, well, people don't moderate their consumption of cheap processed food because of all the relative advantages that cheap processed food has. he also brought up "well other people elsewhere in the world are fat for different reasons" which is an argument that has little bearing on why americans, in america, get fat on junk food

it's a bit like saying the opiate crisis is overblown because people can just do heroin once in a while and be totally fine

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That meal is totally fine. Food you dislike does not equal deadly toxins or whatever you're on about. I'll go ahead and remind you that lack of vitamins is extremely uncommon in America due to the fact that Americans eat a whole ton of food in general, much of which is fortified with vitamins beyond what would ordinarily be in the food - and that people are totally fine for vitamin consumption as long as they average out to the correct amounts over weekly to monthly periods.

You sound like those people who virulently push for taxes for soda yet have no interest in taxes on lovely juices that are just as sugary, or expensive coffee stuff that's far higher calorie. You know, because what it comes down to is you being angry that people aren't enjoying the right kind of food.

luxury handset posted:

people don't moderate their consumption of cheap processed food

There is literally no such thing as "processed food" outside of scare mongering and diet salesmanship. No coherent definition of it can be made which wouldn't mean that only straight up raw stuff counts as "not processed".

Liquid Communism posted:

American portion sizes in both restaurants and pre-packaged food are deeply wrong and intentionally gamed.
Translation: gently caress poor people, they should have to pay more money for food instead of being able to eat plenty of it at the current balance between prices and their incomes.

Cheap food is an umbiguous social good, large portions are a social good. Particularly with the way many poor people lack the time and/or working equipment at home to cook up enough food for themselves otherwise.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You will not be able to out-train a diet comprised of that fat and salt lick block of horrors. For the simple fact that the macros in it are terrible.

You all are something else with this poo poo.

Show me a few hundred thousand people who actually eat just that and I might consider it relevant. As it is there's all kinds of dumb ways people can choose to eat from any set of foods you personally don't disdain and still up looking unattractive to you - why care?

It reminds me of how a sizable contingent on this site think it's common among the desperately poor to only eat traditional fast food and that's their problem - despite the fact that doing so is fairly expensive and even beyond that hurdle people rarely do it anyway.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 30, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when human beings on planet earth who speak english are talking about processed food they usually mean this stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convenience_food

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

I thought trans fats are pretty unambiguously unhealthy?

Most diets, holding net calories constant, are probably fine from a health perspective. The heart of the problem (here and on related issues like climate change) is that people consume too much and there's no easy way to profitably lower everyone's consumption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luxury handset posted:

when human beings on planet earth who speak english are talking about processed food they usually mean this stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convenience_food

Yes a completely incoherent set of foods stigmatized by food moralists. Thanks for reinforcing its uselessness for addressing global and domestic fatness.

have you seen my baby posted:

They're also almost entirely banned from the food supply these days in the USA (though some foods naturally contain small amounts which are fine).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

have you seen my baby posted:

Most diets, holding net calories constant, are probably fine from a health perspective. The heart of the problem (here and on related issues like climate change) is that people consume too much and there's no easy way to profitably lower everyone's consumption.

excuse me, but why do you want poor people to starve?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So there was unhealthy food until we banned trans fats.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Translation: if you eat food in large quantities you put on weight. Wow, what a stunning revelation, using a lot of the basic caloric ingredients increases the calories.

I said nothing about eating in large quantities. Typically, a human is supposed to limit their sugar to 35g a day. You know some cups of yogurt have almost that.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

inkblottime posted:

I said nothing about eating in large quantities. Typically, a human is supposed to limit their sugar to 35g a day. You know some cups of yogurt have almost that.

Why? 35g of sugar is only 135 calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

inkblottime posted:

No one should care about your personal distaste for sugar except you. It sounds like you misunderstood some announcements about "added sugars" (itself a barely coherent term but whatever) and thought that was supposed to be all the sugar you ate period.

Alternately you might be thinking of the guidelines issued to people who already have long term diabetes, and thus need to strictly regulate their consumption in tandem with their medications.