Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Where are my full art ravnica lands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
looking at it close up, that Elspeth is probably from one of the planeswalker decks, as it's 255/254.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

Sagas are an a+ great idea for the Grecian set.

Sagas are an A+ idea in general and I wish they replaced planeswalkers completely. That said, Elspeth is at least an interesting twist.

ungulateman posted:

The Narcissus card is loving phenomenal, too.

This, so much this.

Silhouette posted:

Krasis had better eat a ban before this set drops, otherwise lmaaaooooo that Hydra aura makes it even more busted

I don't think it's what Krasis decks are trying to do.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The American Dream posted:

I really really hope they print some good Minotaurs. I’d love to have some good ones for my tribal deck.

I also can’t wait to use my foil underworld dreams

I have a sweet Italian Legends one sitting in a binder somewhere, and people LOVE Underworld Dreams decks, so let's hope for a sweet Underworld Dreams archetype in Standard.

JerryLee posted:

Those full art basic lands make me think of Pokemon energy cards.

This isn't a criticism, mind you. I'm ambivalent towards them overall; I think I'd rather my lands have art of, y'know, landscape features, but I can't deny that they're lovely designs.

I think the idea of them is great, but I'd have to see them on the battlefield to know how good they actually look.

Silhouette posted:

Krasis had better eat a ban before this set drops, otherwise lmaaaooooo that Hydra aura makes it even more busted

No it doesn't, if your Krasis is staying in play for two full turns then you didn't need that aura to win

sit on my Facebook posted:

The land aura is bonkers

No it isn't, it's Wild Growth with the option to pay 5 and sac it to get a 2/2. That's exceptionally mediocre.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Arivia posted:

looking at it close up, that Elspeth is probably from one of the planeswalker decks, as it's 255/254.

It's a full-art borderless PW. Garruk was 270 out of a set of 269.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arivia posted:

I thought the same thing. I'm surprised it took them this long, but constellations make sense for Theros.

They're not really constellations, they're... nebulae and/or galaxies. The glowing interstellar dust is doing all the work.

I like how the background subtly works with the theme of each color: red is a spiraling shape that fits with the mana symbol, green has shapes that evoke bushes or treetops, etc.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo those basic energy are BEAUTIFUL! :swoon:

Best enjoy the Seb artwork while we can before he moves onto galleries. :stare: We are so ridiculously lucky to have him doing his masterpieces for playing cards.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 30, 2019

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Yessss Ashiok is back

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

Yeah I was on the edge of making a bet on it when Starfield Mystic was revealed but none of my friends really wanted to bet against it, unsurprisingly.

Escape as a "gently caress you guys only I'm getting out of hell" version of Embalm is very cool.

Technically it's more like creature Retrace, because it doesn't exile the card. It should be able to be done again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Arivia posted:

I thought the same thing. I'm surprised it took them this long, but constellations make sense for Theros.

It's okay, the art director, Jeremy Jarvis, at Wizards doesn't know what a constellation is either.

My educated guess is that for a set like Theros: Beyond Death, they felt that it was important for the mana symbols to be clearly identifiable because the celestial theme doesn't clearly associate with the geographic features that the lands represent. They can get away with not haveing mana symbols on basic lands in sets like Unhinged and Unstable because they are supplemental sets, but basic lands in Standard-legal expansions are meant for everyone and that means making things easier to understand.

I would have preferred something more abstract that suggested the shapes of the mana symbols with stars and nebula. The white mana symbol could have been a spiral galaxy; the green mana symbol could have had its contour made out with stars. Or they could have just ripped off The Elder Scrolls and looked at the constellations they use to depict the three classes across all five games.

The one thing I will say is that I'm glad they didn't go with the awful templating of the full-art Zendikar lands. No dumb rear end decisions like the curved border on the left and right sides. Just a nice and clean illustration.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Zoomed out far enough, galaxies strung together across the cosmos share the same shape as trees, roots and neurons.
This is one of many reasons I am a mystic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Seeing as there's an Ashiok instant, what's the over/under on there being a busted Ashiok that slots into Oko sultai after they ban goose and nissa to power it back up?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cynic Jester posted:

Seeing as there's an Ashiok instant, what's the over/under on there being a busted Ashiok that slots into Oko sultai after they ban goose and nissa to power it back up?

It kind of has to be 0.5 busted ashioks that slot in Oko sultai no?

I'd put long odds on though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Ashiok has had two three-mana cards, both of which are very powerful but very situational. Wouldn't surprise me if they got another busted card to sell the set. I'm actually surprised Elspeth doesn't cost 1WW with the same effects, but apparently they can show a little restraint.

Also quoting this so I don't have to go back to the previous page.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cynic Jester posted:

As long as its busted in a mill direction, do it baby

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Mill is kind of good right now due to Drowned Secrets and Merfolk Secretkeeper.
Also I feel like Glimpse the Unthinkable is generic enough to flavor to be an Ashiok-themed reprint.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Draw 6 cards for 3 with yarok on the board? Dont mind if I do

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

Those full art basic lands make me think of Pokemon energy cards.

thirded

JerryLee posted:

This isn't a criticism, mind you. I'm ambivalent towards them overall; I think I'd rather my lands have art of, y'know, landscape features, but I can't deny that they're lovely designs.

more or less same. i like lands being lands but doing something different every once in a while isn't the end of the world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Are those lands going to be in the basic slot or is it like guilds/allegiance where you have to buy fancy poo poo to get the cool lands?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So that's why they printed Leyline of the Void...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So this leak is obviously planted to distract people from Oko until the B&R, right?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TheDemon posted:

So that's why they printed Leyline of the Void...

Also Grafdigger's Cage

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tubgoat posted:

Mill is kind of good right now due to Drowned Secrets and Merfolk Secretkeeper.
Also I feel like Glimpse the Unthinkable is generic enough to flavor to be an Ashiok-themed reprint.

Add in some lucky clovers, you can mill pretty quickly, too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MikeCrotch posted:

Also Grafdigger's Cage

Good thing the Cage doesn't stop Elspeth.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I saw an FB post with the spoilers, which also had these. The black one made me question their validity but it's probably fine, just a bit rulesy for common.

Elspeth looks good as a card, wait and see on the set art, but it's interesting she makes human tokens.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I saw an FB post with the spoilers, which also had these. The black one made me question their validity but it's probably fine, just a bit rulesy for common.

they look way too authentic to be a hoax

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

That 1U instant speed preordain with upside is extreme my poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

Good thing the Cage doesn't stop Elspeth.

Grafdigger's Cage does, in fact, stop you casting cards from your graveyard using their Escape cost.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jabor posted:

Grafdigger's Cage does, in fact, stop you casting cards from your graveyard using their Escape cost.

I assume Escape will otherwise only be on creatures, and Elspeth probably has the most interesting cost with most of the rest using mana. Sacrifice costs could be interesting/abusable though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Al, thought it specifically mentioned creatures and instant/sorceries. I don't have English copies.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pokemon style full arts were a pretty natural idea and this looks like a pretty cool way to have pulled it off. I have to imagine foils will be very popular.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That Elspeth seems awful but maybe there will be a deck it slots into

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe after a solid year of “Please for the gently caress’s sake stop pushing mythic planeswalkers as the end-all/be-all of the game.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That Elspeth seems awful but maybe there will be a deck it slots into

Depends what other support cards come in the set, don’t be down too much on infinite casting.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Lmao those lands are just pokemon energy cards.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Retromancer posted:

Lmao those lands are just pokemon energy cards.

yea its cool man

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I really dislike the land art tbh. I like lands that look like lands, unhinged are my favorite version. Doesnt really matter ofc.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Those full art constellation lands own, hopefully they don't make it to difficult to acquire them.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I have full confidence that WotC will do a graveyard themed set and not gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Which one is narcissus